Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Everyone meet Luke aka Bart's Beware! (Luke was his call name, but he doesn't really seem to know it. We might also try Levi or Loki)
We just got him home on Saturday. Our rescue wants us to keep him crated all the time unless he's getting a bathroom break or walk, which has been soooo hard so far. He's almost the perfect gentleman, just barking a few times when I leave the house, and he has pretty severe squirrel aggression.

Also he's a giant goober about stairs. We walked by the elementary school yesterday and he went up and down two big flights no trouble. Our home's split level, 5 step staircase? Frozen statue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I think the crating policy is get them used to the crate in your home and give them a chance to observe life in a new place. We can start giving him some more out of crate time tomorrow.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
He's clever, he only goes in if you toss a treat in first. He's been in there most of the day today with nary a peep so I don't think he minds too much.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson (formerly known as Luke, we've decided) is settling in pretty well. We've got him to down outside of the crate on command! Had some serious squirrel anger on our morning walk, and he snarled at a dog inside the dog park fence when we walked by to see if he'd be interested. He's also mastered the stairs all on his own after we let him explore on his own.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Blem.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Our bestest boy has developed a limp, and I'm worried he sprained a toe. He had a check up scheduled at the vet the other day but the vet didn't seem too concerned. Looking for a goon doctor 2nd opinion.

It's been a few days now and he's still limping and now the toe looks a little swollen.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
So Watson's foot looked like this when he woke up this morning:

So we're at the vet again. He's getting an xray, I almost hope it's a fracture or something so we know conclusively what's wrong.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Breakfast was late?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Tell me that he isn't at least part goblin.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Watson's been a little poo poo recently. He snagged a reusable silicon cover off the counter and ran into his crate with it. Started nomming on it and when I went to get it back he growled at me (he has some pretty serious resource guarding). By the time I came back with a treat to lure him away he had swallowed it. Ugh. Decided I didn't want to go to the vet again, and after researching how to make your dog vomit I dumped two tbsp of hydrogen peroxide down his throat and back came the cover.

Warning: dog vom

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Walking past the dog park yesterday and we see a guy inside with two greyhounds! The dogs a greet each other nicely through the fence so we head inside. They immediately start running around together but quickly lose interest... Until I throw a tennis ball for Watson.

Watson loves balls. Basketballs, tennis balls, soccer balls. Balls.

So Watson sprints after the ball I threw and Penny and Rudie go chasing after him. Everyone is having a good time, but after the fourth throw I guess Rudie tried taking the ball and Watson hosed his poo poo up (maybe, not sure exactly what happened since it was so quick) . Rudie ended up with a 7 inch long flap of skin dangling on his shoulder and Watson got a little scratch on his cheek. Luckily his owner seems super chill (and so was Rudie despite being torn up. Got a text this morning saying Rudie was fine with some stitches.

Moral of the story, don't let Watson have a ball around other dogs.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

jesus WEP posted:

i love tubbs's summer belly

the little zig zag hairline omg :3:

We've only had Watson two months and his tummy is bald. Are you implying that he might grow it back this winter?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
My boy looking very handsome

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
And.... Our dumbass just threw up 3/4 of a tennis ball. Nearest I can figure he ate it 2 weeks ago at the dog park. Could it have sat in his stomach that long?

Edit: more vom and tennis ball in the crate this morning. :doh:

NomNomNom fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 15, 2020

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Double posting so y'all can see my guy in an infinity scarf.

Homeslice here was allowed in the basement living room last night (not for the first time, just been a while) and promptly peed on the carpet. It's been a challenging few days.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Good morning

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson is moping hard as the Mrs is away for few days for work. It's his first time having one of us away for a night and he's taking it hard. So far has spent 12 hours straight in his crate, had to be bribed and dragged outside to eliminate and then immediately wanted to come inside.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Sweater fitting with grandma

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Anecdote, but Watson gets the Kirkland blue bag (salmon and sweet potato) and has mostly firm poops and little gas.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

NomNomNom fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 30, 2020

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Yeah, Watson is a bit preoccupied by his butthole. It's his favorite after dinner snack.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Vet expressed his glands last time we went in, said everything seems fine. He just really likes to keep it clean. :butt:

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
I should record it and upload it to one of those ASMR listening sites.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Our little jerk peed in the house today. We've had him more than 6 months, and other than one accident in the first few weeks we've been pee free.

We just came in from a walk and we're prepping dinner and he just ran down the hall to the bedroom and unloaded (from the spare bladder obvi)

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Someone needs to find a source for cuddlepillars in the US

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Seen some poo poo.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson is a confident boy, but our hardwood stairs gave him a lot of trouble at first. We stuck down some carpet tread covers and he figured it out quickly.

Had a big paint spill the other day and had to remove the covers. He's still hesitant, but once he gets a little start he can go up and down with them bare.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Our boy woke up at the crack of dawn at first. We got him in June so the sunrise was super early, and he'd start barking at first light. Be prepared for some early mornings at first. 6 months later and home slice won't get out bed till we do.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
If you look back at my posts Watson loves his crate, and I can't imagine dealing with him without it. If we starting getting out bags he runs into it because he knows he's getting a bully stick or kong.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
First week crating: all food in the crate. The crate is a happy place. Want a toy? In the crate. Humans are leaving and I'm scared? Aw snap, I get a bully stick in my crate.

It's not hard. It's not dog jail, it's your dog's safe space super cool hangout zone.

Pictured, a dog who can't loving wait to go to bed. I'm pretty sure he actively dislikes me working from home because he can't sleep for 8 straight hours.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
We would just walk the direction Watson wanted... For like 5 feet, and then slowly loop back the direction we wanted. Not sure if he wised up, but he's less impulsive 6 months in.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson poops a minimum of 4 times a day. Two on the morning walk, once at noon, and once in the evening. All are good firm stools.

Occasionally he tried to back it up on a bush or tree.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson wipes out hard on our hardwood when he decides to take a corner too fast and doesn't stay in the rugs. He'll look sheepish for a second but then carries on. Very lucky that he's brave and hasn't sworn off ever walking on the wood.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
She looks like a very healthy weight to me. If anything she could gain a lb or two, but she's still very young right?

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Nah, no more regular food. Use it as an opportunity to treat the poo poo out of her while training.

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
As beautiful as this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
Watson aced his basic obedience class. He was the star pupil. Helps that he's 4 and his classmates were all 6 months or less.

By the end though he could sit, stay, lay down, and come when called.