Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Here is the greyhound I am petsitting for the next couple weeks. :3: Her name is Jojo. She is an old retired racer. She is a good dog. And go figure that of all four dogs, she is the least interested in the chickens or cats. She gives no fucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Is there any place I can use the ear tattoo numbers to look up a retired racer's history? I'm curious about Jojo's.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I found Jojo's page. Her profile picture. :lol:

I apparently have no idea how to read these pages and can't tell if she actually raced/won anything I don't know. :saddowns:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

This is the greyhound I used to petsit. Her name is Jojo and she is a good dog. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So sorry about Union. :smith:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I hate to bring the thread back down, but... it's just not a good week for greyhounds. :smith: Jojo, whom I posted on the last page, was killed today... She was randomly attacked by one of the pits she lives with, and then the other pit jumped in.

Her owners were at work when the dog walker came by to let them out for a bit. Jojo came back inside and laid on her bed, like she always does, but the smallest pit, Gracie, came up to her and started growling and lunged at her neck. The other pit, Benny, has a known prey drive and has killed one of their cats and two of their chickens already. So of course he jumped in and attacked with Gracie. This is all what the dog walker said, though. There's no telling what really went on.

The dog walker works for a pet care company that's owned by a lady who has some REALLY inaccurate pack leader/dominance-type behavior knowledge. I don't know if they train their dog walkers in anything pertaining to behavior, but it could have had an effect (the cat was also killed on the dog walker's watch, but it was a foster dog that initiated it, Benny finished it). Allegedly Benny is showing some aggression to said dog walker as well. He never showed any such behavior to me, at all, even when I was literally blocking/dragging/carrying him away from the chicken he'd killed.

Said company owner said some bullshit about how it was Benny's "pack behavior gone out of control." Even though Gracie initiated. Either way, Jojo's owners know better than to buy into that crap. Jojo was quite old, maybe something about her weakness prompted Gracie to attack? Maybe she had a mild seizure which freaked Gracie out? Gracie does have some bad reactivity issues toward other dogs while out on leash, but never had an issue with Jojo. Benny's just a dick who likes to kill poo poo. I never saw ANY concerning behavior toward Jojo in all the weeks I petsat. This is just awful. :smith:

Gracie is the small pit up front, Benny is the black and white one in back. Jojo of course on the right. Kai, the mutt on the left, adored Jojo.

RIP Jojo. :smith: Sorry you had to go that way.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yes, she had it removed years ago when she came to the shelter, not sure why. I don't doubt it may have contributed to some of her reactivity somewhat, but otherwise it doesn't seem to hold her back any.

edit: I just can't imagine how they feel. I wouldn't be able to look at those pits the same ever again. :smith:

Skizzles fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 26, 2013

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
How awful. :(

Azrael Alexander posted:

You just have to look at it as dogs being dogs. Whatever prompted Gracie to attack Jojo wasn't evil intentions, just dogs being dogs. It's hard, because we love our dogs so much. But accidents happen. I know that even I would have a hard time looking past an incident like that, but I couldn't blame the other dogs for just doing what they're programmed to do.

Logically I would know this, and while I would feel awful, I would just think "they're just being dogs" and probably be less upset about it than most. But Benny is mildly horrifying when he goes into prey mode, he's like a different dog. Gracie's just a dick. They're both sweet as can be with people, but they are not dogs I could ever handle owning. Let's face it, I'm biased 'cause Jojo was my favorite. :smith:

I think they're worried about Benny and not sure what to do with him. They still have two cats. Gracie and Kai bother them the most, but occasionally Benny gets more interested in them than I'm comfortable with, and if they ever make a noise out of distress, he's going for them. Gracie and Kai just chase them out of fun and are easily redirected. Benny cannot be redirected. So I don't know what they're gonna do with him. :/

Sorry to keep semi-derailing, I'm just kind of shocked by all this. I really can't help but think it had to be something to do with the dog walker. Maybe she stressed Gracie out and she took it out on Jojo, or she just missed some important signals, I don't know. The owner isn't using that dog walker anymore, at least.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Normally he doesn't bother the cats and ignores them better than the other two. It wasn't until a former foster dog initiated the attack on one of the cats that he jumped in and finished it.

But I think they might be considering finding him a catless home, I'm not sure. I know if I was in their shoes I would feel that might be the best idea.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

Azrael Alexander posted:

I'd say it's pretty obvious that Benny needs to be in a home with no cats or small animals. Was it Benny or Gracie who did most of the damage to Jojo? Or does anyone even know? Had the dogs ever fought before? Without actually witnessing what happened it's hard to make a judgement call about the individual dogs behavior. I know a lot of dogs, regardless of breed, who don't normally display DA but will gang up on another dog that's being attacked. I've seen our family dogs do it, when my aunt's dog attacked mine. My cousins dog, who is normally buddies with my dog, jumped right into the fight. We broke it up before anyone was seriously injured, but I don't doubt that they would have killed my dog if we hadn't.

There are probably rescue who would take him in. The might not even offer him up for adoption, but let him live at their facility as an alternative to euthanizing him. Or he could go to a pit savvy home where he is the only dog. I don't believe in euthing dogs for DA or prey drive, even if the dog killed the other dog/animal. But he will require an experienced owner who understands DA, understands the situation that took place, and is willing to work with him and not put him in a situation that sets him up to fail. That's what happens with so many DA dogs - they are set up to fail by their owners who don't "get" DA or think that it is curable or nonexistent. Part of being a responsible pit bull owner is addressing dog aggression in a rational way, for your dogs sake and the sake of other dogs as well.

I have no idea who did the most damage to Jojo. It could have easily been Gracie, because when she decides she hates a dog, she does NOT relent if given the chance to get at them. But it could have just as easily been Benny.

I'm wondering if they may consider giving him back to the rescue he came from. That's the first thing I would do. I agree dogs shouldn't be euthed for DA or prey drive, they just need an appropriate home. I appreciate their love and advocacy for pits, but I'm thinking they should cool it on owning them.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

a life less posted:

This is becoming a bully thread more than a sight hound thread, but...

I don't think I have a problem euthing a dog that killed another dog (especially one of your own) if the alternative is sending it back into the shelter system. The system is taxed enough. It's scary for the animal. Euthing would be a kindness in so many situations. In a perfect world, all dogs with DA would be owned by responsible people intimately familiar with DA, but the reality is that there are more DA dogs than DA-savvy people. If the decision is made with love, why not?

Well, to be fair, I also agree with this. Up north where the shelters are less crowded, it's not as big a deal. But that's not at all the case where they are. It's a tough call.

Their intentions are nothing but good, and they understand "dogs will be dogs," so I trust them to ultimately do what's right for the dogs. We'll see.

I'll stop derailing this thread now sorry. :ohdear: We can go back to happy greyhound things.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

skoolmunkee posted:

The first time Union really barked she scared herself and she ran upstairs.

Oh my goodness. :3: I think the bandana mosaic is a neat idea.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

RazorBunny posted:

I submitted a new application to GPA-NOVA and got a message back saying we are approved, no new home visit needed (I thought they might want to do another one since we've done some remodeling). I listed our preferred adoption date as any time after March 1, since we have contractors coming in to do our kitchen and then a week-long cruise in January and February. After that our house should be nice and quiet with no extended absences of its people - a good time to work on acclimating a new pooch.

Countdown to ladyhound :3:

Oh my goodness I am excited for you and want all of the updates. :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
They do, but as long as you enforce the pottery studio as a No Zoomie Zone or take him/her there right after a good walk, it shouldn't be a problem. Most greys I've met (which is admittedly only a handful) don't seem to get too rambunctious indoors. It's mostly when they have a wide open outdoor space they like to zoom across.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I dunno but it's also awful pretty dark magic. :ohdear:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Mona's bed looks way comfier than mine. :saddowns:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Need more pictures of that handsome lady (and that collar is awesome). :3:

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
If it were me, I'd probably wait. Moving a greyhound into an apartment with ferrets (closed door or not) is a risk I would be uncomfortable taking. I also get paranoid about roommates. Like what if one of them is just stupid around dogs? Or what if they change their mind about being okay having a dog? It could work, but it's not a great scenario in my opinion.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
You bring Vastra up here so I can dogsit her and get my grey fix. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
I need video of Vastra eating an orange. :3: