Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

megyem
Nov 6, 2009
Here are my lesser Greyhounds. After reading up on all of the sighthound breeds, I decided on getting an Italian Greyhound as my first dog despite their potty training issues and fragile structure. Both of my Italian Greyhounds have ended up getting luxating patella surgery (no broken bones yet, knock on wood) and they tend to go to the bathroom inside if they aren't taken out every hour. They are both divas but I do love their spunk and it seems that their bigger cousins don't have the same personality traits (though maybe I haven't met the right Whippets/Greyhounds).

Iggies lure coursing.

My mom fell in love with both of my Iggies, so once I left for college she held on to them while I looked for a dog that would tolerate being in a crate for a couple of hours while I was gone. I ended up going with a Whippet which has been perfect as they are a pretty healthy breed and IMO the perfect size. Ashton isn't as cuddly as my Iggies but his ability to hold his bladder all day and solid structure are better trade offs.

Out lure coursing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

megyem
Nov 6, 2009

skoolmunkee posted:

I didn't even know they had housetraining issues til this thread. What is up with that? That seems weird you have a whole breed that is known for being impossible to housebreak.

From what I've heard, poor breeding has resulted in Italian Greyhounds having weak bladder muscles. On an old IG forum I used to frequent many people had indoor litter boxes lined with pee pads to help prevent accidents. We did this with our first IG and lined a big Rubbermaid container with a cut out entrance with newspaper but eventually we trained him to pee in the shower which was a lot easier to clean up. I can't say I'll ever have an IG again because of their house training issues which is a shame as they have the best personalities. I am definitely a pro at removing carpet stains now.