Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Me and the Fiance rescued an elderly Greyhound today. Her name is Piper she is somewhere between 15 and 17 years old and the owner was no longer able to be home enough to watch and care for her due to his work.

Car Ride home chilling with our two current dogs after the meeting. The Whippet decided to be uncooperative on the photo and decided to stand.

At home begging for a burger. The alpha cat decided that with her being distracted it was a prime opportunity to sniff her butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Aww, an excellent grey! And excellent other pets, too - that cat is definitely a clever one! :D

We thought she would be very upset about being loaded in a strange car and taken away, but overall she has been extremely calm and integrated with the other two dogs immediately.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

actionjackson posted:

congrats! 15-17 is probably unlikely (i've only heard of one grey reaching 15 ever), does she have racing tattoos?

also the owner seriously gave up her for his work? wtf

No tattoos, we checked,

and of course I don't know if she's actually that old but she is 100% up there in age

And the former owner has been quite rightful bashed all over the facebook post where he put the dog up. She supposedly has bladder issues but held her urine the entire time she rode home (with her head stuck out the window the entire time.) and didn't pee my floor overnight... she does like to eat a lot of water so far.

But first night went well, she slept on the floor instead of jumping into the bed, that may change since the other two lumps do climb in and shove us around so she might join in once she gets more comfortable, but she seemed to enjoy the dog bed at the foot of the bed so far.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

She really doesn't look that old. I'd guess 8 or 9 tops. She moving around well?

Previous owner had her for 12 years and she was fully grown when he got her.

She moves around fine, hopped right into the back of the car,

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Piper has settled in very well

We also got several new dog beds for her size

She says the wooden floor is better

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Major Isoor posted:

Oh also, be prepared to see her try to use tiny dog beds instead of using her (nearby and available) appropriately sized bed - at every opportunity, haha :D

Why do I say that, you ask? Oh... no reason... :v:

She did that the first night, curled up right into the whippets bed (whippet doesn't use as the whippet prefers OUR bed.)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

Fabulous weather lately

Good weather to go get a burger in

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

actionjackson posted:

the Australian greyhounds arrived at 4 am! there were logistical difficulties, but they are here! six black, one blue, one fawn

Did they get burgers?

We took our rescue greyhound to the vet we use, Vet thinks the owner is wrong on the age and she is more likely 12-14 years old.

She also has absolutely no drive to chase things, just an absolutely chill potato, the only time she has shown any speed was when she fled from me trying to give her the pill for her bladder.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

going to be 2000 dollars for piper to get the lump on her leg removed + dental work done, not terrible honestly

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Piper faking being an amputee in order to beg for more food

Like she didn't snag an entire slice of pizza not 30 minutes before this

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

pastor of muppets posted:

Current location: Conesville, USA
Population: a very shameful Roo

Rory hosed up her foot somehow so we just got back from urgent care. Rads confirmed no fractures, pathological or otherwise (whew) but her toe is so swollen that they can’t really determine much else. She probably either got bit by something or stabbed herself on a stick so we’ll see what happens with epsom salt baths and meds.

This is just totally a sighthound thing

RANDOMLY BLOOD IN MY HOUSE, why? dog got a deep puncture between her toes? how.. no idea since she acts like absolutely nothing went on at any point and there is no blood at all.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Good Burgin there

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Piper here to inform you that if she sits, clearly she must fits... even if it is a cat bed

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

david_a posted:

Spot the greyhound

Easy one, on the couch, giving the side eye

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Thats awful

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Piper is not really a photo kind of dog so I have to bribe her with food to get her to even stay on camera.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

actionjackson posted:

Bailey's two year anniversary was yesterday!

Dog is blurring from joy.

Also dog taxing

Still not sure how a 55 lb greyhound shoves her lanky frame into a small catbed and fits, but she does.

AtomikKrab fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Aug 2, 2023

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

NomNomNom posted:

Watson's birthday was the other day

Semi Cursed burger eatin.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

Synchronised snoozing.

Body on dog bed, head on floor is somehow the most comfortable position for all sighthounds

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

Boudicca also mastered the opposite.

This doesn't count, she is clearly guardian a delicious food item, not resting

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

[timg]

Piper says she makes a great guarddog/doorstopper

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

skoolmunkee posted:

Someone stole your dog's neck!!!

no, they stole her shoulders, she is very two dimensional and snake like

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

POV: you are about to be run over.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

david_a posted:

It’s still kinda hot down here in KY so Katie got warm when we took our after-lunch walk. I found her afterwards like this:

I couldn’t figure out why this spot was all that cooler compared to anywhere else (other than being darker) until I noticed she’s pressed her back up against the washer. That bottom part is sheet metal and kinda cool to the touch, so she’s using it as a giant radiator.

We have tile floors in my basement and also my sunroom, Piper loves to sprawl out on them where she can dump heat. And in the sunroom during bright clear days she finds the spots in the open for basking, then the shade for cooldown.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

MrOnBicycle posted:

I'm just curious, for how long do you leave your dogs alone? I've gotten the feeling that leaving your dog at home for a whole 8-9 hour work day is quite common in the US.

I got three dogs, so they never really alone

But also my mother is retired and lives with me so she is around most of the day.

MAINLY my dogs sleep anyway, inside, outside, floor, dog bed, couch, regular bed, primarily potato anyway.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

actionjackson posted:

No burgers because I'm a vegetarian so I don't ever make that stuff in my house

But she gets some of that dog ice cream and a very large treat "bone"

McDonald's exists, and has a drive through and your Good Dog certainly deserves a nice drive you know, the Burger can be directly transfered to Dog via the Mcdonald staff.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

A Fair trade for some burger I am sure

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Yeah, the whippet is 11, we Rescued this year an already 12 year old Greyhound knowing that she could just be a walking bomb of death,

It's better to just slow down your thoughts, realize and remember that they are not going to be with us forever, and to make the time they are with us as good as possible.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

david_a posted:

This was two weeks ago. Today we walked into that same neighborhood for the first time since then. Katie immediately headed towards the same house and wanted to go inside.

greyhounds

She made a friend, she want to go see friend

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Radiation Cow posted:

Dear sir/madam, I am a poor orphan greyhound whose "parents" will not let her on the couch, citing the pitiful excuse of no space. Can you please call the Hague and find me new owners to rectify this violation of my rights? Yours in suffering, Boudicca.

I have a spare couch or two that could potentially provide temporary asylum to a good girl in need.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

pastor of muppets posted:

Rory update:

She seemed to be doing better but the last two days have introduced a brand new symptom: urinary incontinence. I am trying not to catastrophize and just chalk it up to the pred but it’s hard not to panic over the signs increasingly suggesting that this is a tumor.

I bumped up her recheck appointment to this week instead of next but I am not in a good place with this right now. The only positive is that she doesn’t seem to be in pain at the moment.

That sucks, hopefully the vet can provide help, but if she is not suffering just make sure she gets a lot of care and love.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

david_a posted:

I’ve wondered if that shake is actually more intense than other dogs, but in any case it looks way more crazy because their long lanky legs go flying everywhere and they’re big enough that you can distinctly see the shake move backwards along their body

I don’t think any other dog would have the same effect. I feel like Borzois or Irish Wolfhounds would have too much mass and whippets aren’t big enough

Got a whippet and a greyhound, Whippets literally look like they are falling apart with their shake.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

I'm sorry for the loss of your hound.

I'm slightly dreading when my old girl's time comes even though she is about 13 and I know she's lived a long life already.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Piper accept the presence of visiting toddlers because they drop food she can snag.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Has medication not helped?

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

His seizures are idiopathic, that is the vets haven't been able to identify a cause

Not to any appreciable effect. He takes a fistful of pills every morning and night, plus a few more just before bedtime, but his seizures have not gotten any less frequent or severe

That really really sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

DarkHorse posted:

What a sweet considerate girl!

She's either missing a few or has a few extra

just a normal snakehound