Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey all, let me just preemptively apologize if I'm posting this in the wrong thread. Anyway, as I adopted an ex-racing Greyhound* several weeks ago, I just have a question regarding bedding.

I've got a outdoors bed like this one with a hessian/sack material covering, however despite the fact that I've got a large, thick blanket covering it (with the edges tucked under the legs of the bed) during the course of the day while I'm at work and he's busy playing with his squeaky echidna, he bumps his bed around and the blanket becomes "un-tucked". So, presumably in an attempt to become comfy again (as he does it with his indoor bedding when he messes it up. And he doesn't get anxious anymore when I'm not around, so it's not just that), he pulls everything around with his claws, until he's satisfied.
As a result of this, in a couple of spots it's becoming quite thin/worn through, so I suspect that I'll need to replace it in a number of weeks. So what I'm wondering is, is the sack/hessian material the best/most durable sort to use, or should I get the more 'trampoline'/plastic style material for the cover? I wasn't sure if that would be as comfortable for him initially (which is why I got the hessian/sack sort), however if it's much more durable when it comes to casual/occasional scratching, it may be worth a shot.

So yeah, any information regarding this would be greatly appreciated! I'm also interested in general Greyhound-related tips, if you have an FAQ-post somewhere here (OP didn't seem to contain anything like that, so hopefully it's worth a shot asking!)

* Here and here are a couple of the not very good/high-quality photos I have of the little fella. :3: Shut up, all my friends and family who are used to Whippets and Italian Greyhounds, he's not too big, dang it)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Nov 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

He legitimately makes his bed almost every single day, typically while he waits for breakfast, after I wake him up with my own morning routine....then he messes it up again while playing with his toy (and manages to move his bed 1-2 metres in the process) and the cycle repeats. He just cannot stand having an unmade bed, it seems, even if he does a terrible job of fixing it!
...Although I think it would be much better/cuter if I wasn't the one needing to foot the bill, after he slowly tears up his bed :D

Also, is it mandatory for Greyhounds to wear a muzzle while out in public in countries outside Australia, or is that just yet another stupid law we have, that no one else has? (Thankfully you can apply for muzzle exemption after a test, which I've obtained...still need to carry a permit on walks though)

(EDIT: Wow, my typos...I can really tell I'm at the point of tiredness, where I shouldn't be writing!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 3, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Abby is supposedly a "senior" dog, but one day my neighbor texted me to say she was barking in howling, which is of course weird for greyhounds. I keep her out of an area of my condo while I'm at work, either with a table or chairs. That day she managed to vault over the chairs, and was upset that she couldn't get back! Also at the pet food store, she always puts her paws up on the counter, but last time she completely jumped on top of it! Then had the expression of "what the hell do I do now."

slap me silly posted:

My dude when he was still learning his way around accidentally jumped up and knocked his treat bag off the top of the refrigerator.

So good! :D Haven't had any experiences like that with my 'hound, although he did tangle all four legs up on a lead right after I first picked him up, and just stood there unmoving, peering up at me with a "uh..so what happens now??" expression on his face. (Then of course he just had to lean over and lick/nuzzle my face when I wasn't expecting it, as I freed him from his leash-bindings...and then again and again....)

And that's good news on the muzzle topic! Glad it's only us who have this stupid law - although I hope they finally get rid of it, soon. (Part of the test was interesting though; he was given a bowl with meat in it to see how he reacts to being petted while eating, but he just flat-out refused to touch it. After that I started to notice that he's very dubious of bowls of food when anyone other than myself gives it to him. Not sure what's up there; he seems to be pretty suspicious, I guess)

EDIT:

pastor of muppets posted:

Does he sigh dramatically when he finally flops down? That's how you know you've got a Certified Grade-A Nosedog.

haha now that you mention it, he sometimes does do that actually; although it's more of a "I suppose this will have to do" kind of sigh/moan, as he finishes up and assesses his work - rather than a "ah perfect, this is the life" sigh. These canine ex-athletes/-racers must be used to living the high-life 24/7, it seems!

Also, love the pic! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Nov 4, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Last night I let Taz outside to go to bed (as it wasn't cold outside, unlike the last few nights) after having him inside for most of the day. Around an hour later he started barking now and again for no apparent reason (at least that's what it seemed - I couldn't hear any of my neighbours' dogs barking in the distance, which might've triggered that kind of behaviour in him), so I went outside to check on him and saw him just standing by his bed, giving it a thousand-yard stare and occasionally sticking his nose into the folds and flaps of the blanket and moving his nose around, almost as though he was suddenly missing a piece of himself/his mind, or searching for something.

...after going over to him and his bed to see what the hell he was looking at/for, I realized he went back outside without taking his little orange echidna with him. I had noticed that he seems to like carrying it everywhere he goes now, but I didn't know he can no longer sleep without it, these days! (Despite destroying the squeaker in it a while back) He happily went to bed and allowed himself to be tucked back in after getting his little rubber companion back, and was soundless for the rest of the night.
I'll have to get a photo of him sleeping with it, sometime - he normally has it tucked under one of his forelegs by his chest, like a baby with a stuffed bear :D

EDIT: Here's the little guy messing around with his echidna, after I got home from work

(Apologies about the terrible mobile-quality photos!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 7, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

What a cool coat pattern! We had a male hound visit when we had our home visit by the rescue who looked similar; he's listed as a "reverse brindle" on his registration. Is that what they're calling Taz, too?

Huh, that's interesting. Since here in Australia (or at least SA where I am) it's known as "black brindle"; supposed to be quite rare, according to one of the people who did his muzzle exemption testing. I wonder if many other coat patterns have different names, between our countries.

EDIT: Also, I'm accepting suggestions on what Taz's full first name is; the longer/crazier the better, I say! :D (Since down here at least, we always like to shorten names and add either a "z" or an "o" to the end, like Darren>Daz, Thomas>Tommo, etc. However "Taz" is Taz's full name from what I've been told, so I smell an opportunity here!)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 8, 2016

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

umalt posted:

Tim-Tam Anthony Zilch III the Duke of Snifferton and Cardinal of the Spiky Echidna

You can shorten the initals to T.A.Z. :v:

haha well, it certainly does meet both the 'crazy' and 'long' requirements! :D

Also, (bit late on this post, but I've been very busy the last couple of days) two days ago it was Taz's third birthday - on the same day as my dad's, so of course I took Taz around to my dad's chair and took a photo of him with my dad's present and a valuable (apparently..) old magazine Taz tore up, a couple of weeks ago. (No party hat though, I'm afraid. Couldn't find any)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there, just noticed some little red lumps in Taz's groin area, which I think must've just popped up last night/this morning, or maybe yesterday. I'm not sure what's caused them (maybe insect bites? It's getting hotter here in Aus, so it could be mosquitoes or something) but they don't seem to be irritating him that much, so I'm not sure how to proceed, other than perhaps seeing a vet in the near future. :ohdear: Anyone else had experience with this? I don't believe the old family Whippet ever having lumps like that.

I've taken a really low-quality photo (with the lumps in the corner, in order to avoid posting :woof:DOG NUDES:woof:), which is right here. Only three are pictured, but there are some more all over - that was merely the only shot/angle he let me take, without trying to assault me with his nose.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Aww, and what a softy he is :3:

And alright cool, glad my initial thoughts are probably accurate, then. I'll leave it for a couple of days I guess and see what happens (since he doesn't seem to be bothered by it at all, interestingly), then get him looked at if things stay the same/get worse.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tortolia posted:

That dog is definitely a Noodle

Definitely - and what a noodle she is! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tortolia posted:

It's hard to be a noodlehound

Oh, it is! The relaxed lifestyle of a living, breathing noodle is a hard life indeed
Here's li'l Tazo, having a nice snooze after his walk :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Tortolia posted:

Greyhounds just seem to be carb fiends, pitas or naan are like the only foods Reese will try to steal from our hands.

Heh, thanks for the heads-up; I like a good curry with naan, so I'll have to make sure I don't give Taz a sample of any, to avoid him trying the same thing! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh no! That sounds so terrible. :( So young, too - he's only a little older than my own greyhound even, who I recently met. Really sorry for your loss - sounds like Meesha was a fantastic dog

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Xguard86 posted:

In the am, our dogs love to rub on the couch and bed and what not then jam their little snoots into our legs and hands to say hello.

On dry days they become little electricity type Pokemon that try to kill my wife and me with thundernose attack.

Hah, mine likes to rub his neck all over the carpet, then jab his nose into the back of my head (or the side of my neck) when I least expect it. That or, if I'm using my PC, rest his head on my arm and put as much weight as he can onto it, to really let me know he's there :D (Sometimes followed up with a sneeze for good measure, so his saliva and mucus goes all over my lap/legs, etc...)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Look for the younger retired racers, i.e. bad at racing. They're still got puppy in them, haven't spent a huge time living in track kennels, and will have lots more energy. Sparty is playful, is finally learning tricks, and we had to teach him not to jump or to punch people in the crotch. Still had to teach him to play some, but it was pretty quick and he will rough house with Cookie. It's fun when he gets amped up. So yeah, recommending a young racer.

Just look at all the trouble FUN I'm having with Spartacus! :v:

Yeah, basically this. My 'hound Taz is three years old, and he loves running around and playing. Formerly also jumping up on people (namely me, as he knew me the best. Once or twice he actually put his paws on my shoulders and drew his head level with mine...not used to having a dog that can be as tall as me! :v:) and punching people in the groin, but he stopped doing that pretty quick, after realizing that it wasn't appreciated. (Although I suppose one thing to potentially keep in mind is that although he's three, he was also very active and was a successful racer, up until getting a minor injury in one paw. Not sure if his behavior is any different to other greyhounds of his age, though)

I've also had a Whippet though, so honestly I think either is a great choice! I think the whippet will have more stamina/endurance then the greyhound though, so depending on how much you want them to run/jump around, that's a good thing or a bad thing! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Dunno about stamina, Sparty ran four miles today with my spouse, so they can definitely be trained up to a lot. Or maybe mine is just broken.

...I'm going with broken

Xguard86 posted:

I feel like my girls could walk 4 hours a day or remain motionless 23 1/2 hours without really caring either way. Whatever I happen to be doing is A-OK!

They're 6 though; I would imagine younger dogs might have a higher energy floor

Oh wow - I'd been told that it takes a while of regular jogging/running over increasing distances, for Greyhounds to develop that kind of stamina. Honestly, it actually makes me feel better that I lucked out on li'l Taz here; safe in the knowledge that he doesn't have enough stamina to be able to walk (let alone run!) 2km or so! :D He may've been quick, but staying power definitely isn't his strong suit

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just wondering, are there steps I can take to curb Taz's over-protectiveness of bones? Since sometimes before I go out or to work I'll give him a bone, and although normally there aren't any issues with me coming near him, he has growled at me a couple of times since I brought him home in late August.
So the story is, I'll give him a bone, lock up, then give him a quick pat/rub before I go, (I normally give him some attention before leaving - the bone part isn't frequent though. He doesn't get them particularly often) however the first time I did it he made a low growl at me (no teeth bared/mouth closed, though). Which was understandable I guess - he had taken the bone and retreated to his bed to sit down and chew it, so he could've perceived that I was approaching to take it off him; especially as I was still fairly unfamiliar to him at that point. (And in hindsight I did move my hand towards him on the side he had the bone, which probably didn't help!)

Now, since then he hadn't had any issues; I would give him a bone, then give him a brief rub/pat before heading off (normally remembering to use the hand on his other side, so his neck/head are 'blocking' the bone, but if I used the hand on the same side as the bone, the most he'd do is just pause for a moment to see if I'd go for his bone or just rub him, before continuing). However this morning I gave him a large, meaty bone (it was a pretty good one though, if I say so myself; for him it would've been like winning the lottery) and I went to give him a quick pat before leaving, and he dropped it and gave me a quick, loud bark (teeth partially visible/bared, if that changes things) before going back to the bone. Very startling, as he hadn't done anything like that in months; and not nearly that loudly!

So yeah, I'm not sure if that's usual/acceptable greyhound behaviour (probably not though - not the second time around, anyway) when they're in their own bed/personal space, or if it's unusual for a greyhound. Seems a bit odd, since he has absolutely zero problems with me rubbing him and being generally annoying when he's eating from the bowl by his bed, heh. (He also doesn't have a problem with me petting him when he's in his bed, of course) It was just quite shocking for me, really - I'm far more used to being able to even take stuff off my dog, after 13 years with my Whippet, before he died. (In hindsight he was probably a prime candidate for a 'least possessive/protective dog in the world' award!)
The only other times I've heard him bark are when a nearby feral cat came by and makes hostile 'rumbling' noises and screeches at him (I never saw it again after Taz gave a single, authoritative bark though, heh), as well as one time when a medium-sized dog jumped out of its yard while we were on a walk, then kept playfully jumping up and grabbing at Taz's face+neck, despite Taz's attempts to just ignore it and walk around/past. (Although to be fair, he reacted better than I probably would've, given the amount of times that dog grabbed at him! :D I don't really hold that time against him, heh)

EDIT: But yeah, it's just so surprising for me, really. Like, he's extremely compliant (I wouldn't say 'docile' though) all the time - especially since whenever I'm home, we're basically always together. I could accept it if he did it for someone he doesn't know quite as well; like if a friend or family member came over, but to me? Just seemed odd to me, as he always seems to seek my attention and is happy to get it - especially if he's relaxing in bed.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Jan 27, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

skoolmunkee posted:

I don't have great advice for that since I've been lucky and not had to deal with behavior issues much. I would suspect you need to train specifically that taking something away, or dropping it, results in positive reward. An even nicer treat or something? Even if 99% of the time he has no problem doing so. Resource protectiveness is relatively common so you should find lots of good advice. Just remember the growling and barking were warnings, you don't want to train out the warning, you want to train out the source,

Personally though I would never leave my dog unsupervised with a bone (they're raw, right?) I can all too easily imagine her breaking off a yummy chunk and trying to swallow it but it's too big. The other problem she would have is wanting to eat the whole thing, causing some gum bleeding from so much gnawing. I will leave her with a peanut butter kong though.

Yeah, it's weird - since he'll even happily allow me to do things like brushing/wiping gunk from around his eyes, without pulling away or showing any sign of discomfort, etc. (As opposed to my old family whippet, who really disliked anyone touching his snout, around his eyes, etc. but had no issues with even taking bones straight from his mouth) I definitely get what you mean about not telling him off for growling and the like, though. I know it's a warning communication mechanism for him, so no dramas on that aspect of the matter. And I'll keep in mind the tip with rewarding dropping things on command, etc. though, for sure - thanks.

That's a fair point; although originally a lot of the time when I first started giving him bones I did keep an eye on him, and he doesn't seem prone to it - he'll just chew on it for a bit, then just leave it on/by his bed. (Like, when I got back today the bone I gave him earlier was still completely intact -albeit cleaned of meat- and he had just discarded it once he had finished it) I certainly don't give him small bones, etc. though, that are more likely to cut his gums, etc., due to the same concerns you mentioned. (And most of the time when he's got one, someone else is around anyway; he's not totally alone for long if at all, in those situations)
Oh yeah, and I did try giving him a kong a few times though, but he never really worked it out, heh. Although now that you mention it, I might just fill it with kibble/biscuits or something that'll last, and just leave it out for him permanently, until(/in the hopes that) he figures it out! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Aw, she looks like she's having great fun, in those photos! :D Does she get particularly cold, being out in the snow? (Or was she only out for a short time, when the yard was covered in snow like that?) I suspect my own greyhound, Taz, would be extremely wussy in that situation, as he shivers away during ~16-18 degree Celsius days/nights, unless he's all tucked in. (Keeping in mind we don't get snow here in South Australia, at all)

Speaking of li'l Taz, here's a recent photo of him after we visited a friend's place and he decided to just plonk himself down in Harry's bed. Heh, not a great photo, but thought it's a good representation of how oblivious he can be sometimes! :v:
(Poor Harry has been turfed-out and forced to sleep on top of his little kennel/caravan, so he can keep an eye on the intruder!)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bamhand posted:

Also if you guys don't have a dog pita (pictured above) they are pretty awesome. The large size fits one greyhound or two whippets.

My sister had one of these for her Italian greyhounds, however they didn't seem to like it at all. But now that you mention it though, I might try getting one for Taz at some stage (likely when I move house and get a little more room for Taz's area inside), as I think he might like it more than they did, as he's pretty lazy! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, when I saw my mum today, I noticed that she had bought li'l Taz a toy pig, as pictured below. (However uh, the name of the toy isn't actually "pig toy" or anything quite so bland or generic as that...it's a "screaming pig" toy. A SCREAMING PIG toy. Capitalized on the label and everything! You can probably imagine what kind of sounds it emits! :D) I personally just hope he doesn't start playing with it at night, otherwise my dreams might mysteriously feature the sounds of dying piglets, at random intervals. (Hopefully he also doesn't encounter any piglets in the future whilst unattended, either...I don't see anything good coming of that! :D)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

bamhand posted:

Let me know if the thing lasts more than a couple weeks. I can't find a squeeker that lasts.

Well, I've just found that he's bitten an ear off and has damaged the snout a bit...I suspect that (due to the amount he seems to love playing with the damned thing and hearing it shriek) it won't last another 48hrs :v:

If you're looking for an indestructible squeaky toy though, I recommend getting something like this 'heavy-duty squeaky stick toy'*. Taz doesn't seem to like it quite as much as his old formerly-squeaky echidna, but it's lasted about as long as four of the echidnas have, and it's still going strong! :v: I think the reason why he doesn't like it quite as much is because of the shape; he prefers rounder objects like tennis balls (and the echidnas) that he can throw around and catch more easily. (That might just be him, though - not sure if other dogs are the same)

* Note: That one isn't the exact same sort as what I've got, but it's close enough. When I was looking for a good pic online, I noticed that a lot had the squeaker at one end, without rubber coating/protecting them, however. Don't get those; the really indestructible ones (like what I have) are completely coated with rubber, with a tiny hole at one end that leads to a squeaker safely located in the centre of the stick.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh also, does anyone know of a good chewy treat that'll last for a little while, that I can get for Taz? I know those rawhide bones can be good for that (and Tazo does seem to like 'em), however you can only really buy them individually here, and I'm more interested in something I can get in bulk and at a reasonable price (since I know I could just get a big bag and buy fifty rawhide bones, but that won't be good for either my wallet or my cupboard-space :v:).
I've seen bags of rawhide strips (like this, but actual strips, and not...tubes, I guess) but I don't think any of my dog-owning friends have used them, so I've got no idea if they're just quick-to-eat treats, or if the doggo will actually sit down and keep busy chewing on it for a little while.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Hardwood floors can be a bit dangerous for fast dogs.

On the plus side, it only took one side-on collision with a wall before mine learnt the importance of slowing down for corners, while running on hardwood floors! :v:
(Wasn't a hard bump or anything, thankfully; just enough to startle him and make him realize how little traction his paws have, on that surface)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Mar 27, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Sparty has been feeling a lot better lately, so he's been play-fighting with Cookie. When he gets a wild hair he'll try to tear-rear end around the house, and it's funny watching him try to turn on the brakes. He hadn't hurt himself at all, though he got scared once when he jumped up and his back leg lost traction. Good thing though, he shouldn't be jumping anyway :colbert:

Abby is adorable by the way!

That's good to hear - so how long has he been without those worms (I think it was)? Hopefully he's ditched them for good! Since I recall that you mentioned it was a bit of a reoccurring issue for him, initially.

Also, is it just Tazo, or do greyhounds just love grass? Whenever he gets the chance (which admittedly isn't all THAT frequently, as he is mostly on paved or carpeted floor) he just flings himself onto the ground, rubbing/scratching his neck all over the grass, rolling around and even scooting along the grass on his hindlegs :v: (with his neck and chest sliding along the grass)
Although, perhaps unfortunately he sometimes makes do with the carpet, when he doesn't have easy access to grass! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aww, that's got Taz written all over it! Except he'll normally end up on his side next to the bed, instead of being on it at all :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

TastyShrimpPlatter posted:

Nacho being a goof with Ginger

He's super sweet, but holy poo poo he does not like his paws touched. He goes full on snarling, growling and screaming bloody-murder. Our yard is super muddy right now, which means it's always a challenge to get him back inside after doing his business. He also tends to go into zoomy play mode after we try to wipe his feet off, so that means we get muddy paw prints all over the house

Wow, I haven't heard of that being an issue with dogs before! With Taz he'll basically let me do anything with his paws, etc. and the most he'll do is give a "what's going on, what are you trying to do? Am I doing something wrong? :ohdear:" look, etc. and submit completely. (He even happily lets me wipe gunk from his eyes without flinching/trying to pull away, which my previous whippet hated. Not sure which reaction is 'normal' though)

He does look pretty cute there, though, hahah. Those two look like true friends; albeit with one particular doggo likely being distinctly more annoying for the other at times, perhaps! :v:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Yeah, greyhounds have no road sense or sense of direction so they need an enclosed yard or to be on lead always. Most have insane prey drive to the point they'll dart off after something without any regard for anything else (Spartacus seems to be an exception in that he has little prey drive, probably why he was such a crappy racer, but we still always keep him on lead. )

The other important thing is to have the correct type of collar (martingale) because their heads are smaller than their necks and they can slip out, and normal cinching collars will punch or cut through their delicate paper baby skin.

Finally, the lead should be relatively short because they can get to full speed within a few strides and snap their necks if they're stopped too quick. This is more important for if they're tied to something; they can never be tied up in the yard.

Basically greyhounds have all sorts of amazing ways to kill themselves.

Hooray hounds!

Huh, I didn't know that having greyhounds tethered is bad, so that's good to know. (Although I've never planned on having Tazo tethered, so I never asked when I first got him)

But yeah, it's 100% advisable to have a fully enclosed backyard. The fence doesn't need to be high or anything (Since the greyhounds I've seen don't really jump at all - aside from to jump up and punch their owners, like me. :v: Whippets on the other hand...), but yeah, all common sense goes out the window the moment they see or hear something interesting, as they won't hesitate to run across/along the road to chase it. (For example, as I live on a semi-rural property just beyond the fringe of the suburbs, I get a lot of rabbits...so my 'hound gets very excitable and tries chasing them quite a lot - often giving my arm a good yank in the process!)
On the topic, it's actually illegal for greyhounds here (in the backwards country of Australia) to be off the lead on public property (including in fenced-off dog parks...) and you're not allowed to adopt them unless you've got a sealed-off yard.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
haha, nice! To be honest my ex-racer hasn't caught any, although that's more because I haven't allowed him to - I've had enough rabbit fluff scattered across the yard due to my old whippet to be put off the idea! :D
He's seen and gotten the jump on rabbits a few times now though, but I've held him back each time. (He saw another one just a couple of days ago, in fact. And seeing as I held him back until it ran to safety through the fence, he let out the same sad noise you make when you juuust miss your bus, after running to catch it :( )

EDIT:

DarkHorse posted:

Best I can guess is he had a piece of dirt in his foot. Hounds: drama queens, amirite?

Yep! :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 17, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Well, the last few days we've had an unexpected guest! A collarless Maremma that I'd never seen before showed up one evening when I was feeding Tazo (I noticed just before I gave him food he let out a cautious bark, but it was too dark for either of us to actually see it), as it loomed out of the shadows while he was tucking in, and had a sniff at the side of Taz's head. Naturally it gave him quite the surprise! :D Taz was initially thoroughly unimpressed and annoyed about the presence of the dog, especially when I decided to keep him in the yard with Tazo for the night. What can I say - he's even more anti-social than I am, I suppose! :D
But yeah, I was mostly concerned that the doggo would get hit by a car, if I didn't keep him in with us. (I live on a 100kmph road, it was very dark, and there are plenty of blind corners and crests)

Naturally I made posts on the state's "lost dogs" FB pages, etc. and contacted the council, but didn't get any hits. (Turns out there are a fair few Maremma owners in the general area - except none were missing) Just this afternoon the dog was picked up though, since I didn't think I'd get any better results after my posts and calls+search of the area, and that they'd have a better chance of either reuniting the dog with his owner, or if not, finding him a new home. In the end the two seemed to become very comfortable with one another, and liked sniffing about the property together. Bit sad though, as after all the initial tension, (mostly with my dog, as he's a bit suspicious of other dogs in my area - all the others seem to want to play rough) they were upset to be parted. :(
Oh well - hopefully the Maremma can be recovered by his family soon.

EDIT: And seeing as none of the photos above that involve an actual greyhound are any good due to being taken at night, here's one from just this morning; li'l Tazo relaxing beneath a somewhat-overgrown trampoline. :3:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 22, 2017

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

Is there a good car harness for greyhounds? I've had one for five years but it's never fit tightly enough due to those weird greyhound dimensions

I've got one like this, which works quite well. (Although it's not exactly the same one, mine is the same type)
What sort do you have? The above kind works well enough, assuming you get one that allows the lower straps to be tightened enough to accommodate for their more narrow lower-chest, so that it's not too loose.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

actionjackson posted:

It's similar, but somehow in the last week she's somehow slipped out of it, which I've never seen before. It was still buckled and everything.

Wow, that's bizarre! Is it more loose-fitting around that padded chest part, or? I'm trying to imagine how they'd do it, but I'm stumped. My harness is fairly snug around him, so I'm clueless about how yours managed to get out, unless the straps couldn't be tightened quite enough, or something. Hmm.

Happy Fifth B-Day to The Roo :toot:

Aww :3: I hope the birthday doggo appreciated that hamburger - looks like a deluxe one, that's for sure! :D

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

One of my parents' whippets escaped during lunch, ran through their neighbors' front door, and took a poo poo on the floor. :shepface:

hahaha that's amazing! :D My old family whippet never quite did THAT, although now that you mention it he DID always run a few houses down and take a dump on the path smack-dab in front of their door! Almost every time he needed to go, too.
(That happened for quite a few years until he eventually died, too...I don't think they ever thought very highly of us, due to his...'tendencies'!)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Fuzz Feets posted:

Wow Sparty's new collar is beautiful!

Yeah, that's a pretty swish collar! Also, do the arrows allow him to turn left faster? :D (Sorry couldn't resist, haha) Looks very fancy

In other news, li'l Tazo punched another hole in his ear (his other ear this time, though) the other day after diving into a bush to try and catch a bird! Unfortunately it must've been right by a vein too, as it was just non-stop bleeding. :( He's OK now though, however it was a very miserable time for him - especially as he hated having blood running down his ear (naturally) and also hated having the injury covered up! (Not to worry though, he had a solution for the former issue - just wait until I approach, then shake his body like crazy, causing the entire room or outside area to be covered with flecks of blood! Myself included, heh)

At least he's back to his happy, lazy self now though. Also, after we got back from a post-breakfast walk earlier, I noticed that a bird decided to have a dip in the doggo's water bucket! Taz munching on the last of his breakfast startled it quite a bit though, so it fell over itself in the water (if that's possible) and was soaked, before swimming to the other side of the bucket. Taz didn't seem to mind though; he took a look at it, then just went back to eating his breakfast. :D I suppose there's no thrill to killing a helpless wet bird, compared to 'hunting' one that's perched precariously on a spikey bush.

(I got the bird out and held it to keep it warm for a little while though of course, since it's not exactly warm here at this time of year.
So it didn't die of cold, in case anyone was concerned about that. It DID poo on me just before it took off, though...)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

You tell me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUdgV1eF1FE

Thanks so much for the compliments guys, sorry I missed them earlier.

Hope Taz feels better! :ohdear: Greyhounds are so dreadfully talented at injuring themselves

hahaha so good; it looks like he's got those left-hand turns pretty down-pat! :D

And as bamhand said, that scampering/sliding on smooth wooden flooring is so :greyhound: !
Taz did the same thing around a corner, and as a result he slid into a wall. He actually learnt his lesson after that one incident, which I was impressed about. :D However he didn't seem to get the hint, after getting his ear pierced the first time! Hopefully he knows better, now...

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I was setting up a new tent in the back yard to get practice before actually camping with it.

It appears to be... acceptable.

(We had to go back into the house to get him to leave. He was in full-on nap mode after this picture was taken)

haha wow, he seems pretty thrilled! Hopefully he didn't stretch his legs along the ground and unintentionally nick/slice open the tent bottom, since I just know Tazo would do just that, given the opportunity! :D

Speaking of him, he finally destroyed his squeaky ball/toy the other day (after around four months at least, from memory. A new record! Certainly beats four weeks at most), so I got him a new one for outdoors, as well as a stuffed warthog for when he's inside. I didn't think the warthog would last long (especially as it turns out that it makes this odd snort-ish noise when it's squeezed), but it's actually still perfectly fine, after a few days of constant love and abuse.
He actually refuses to go to bed now, unless if he's allowed to take the warthog with him, even! He'll just clamp down on it and refuse to budge, haha

The little rascal also doesn't like it when I try and take the warthog either; both when he's it's just laying on the ground nearby, or when he's been playing with it. He'll just bolt upright, then block my hand with his snout, and clamp his paw down on top of the warthog. :D He's a funny one; since when he's laying down with it, he always grabs it/clings to it like a teddy.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh, that's terrible! I'm so sorry for your loss. Thankfully it's at least a small mercy, that he didn't suffer. :( Very sad news, though

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
So, just wondering - do any of your long doggos cross their forelegs, when lounging about? Since Tazo does that all the time, when having a relax inside.

Here he is having a very serious snooze, after sparring with his warthog in the study. No, not playing - serious dogs conducting serious business don't 'play', thank you very much :colbert:
(Normally his other leg is actually folded closer to his chest as well, rather than sticking straight out - so it does genuinely look a lot like he's crossing his arms, haha)

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

I have never seen Spartacus do that, though occasionally all four legs get tangled up in a big mess on the couch.

However, inspired by Taz and his warthog as well as Sparty stealing a plush spider my spouse had, I bought him a new toy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOI2ygr60Pw

It was a solid fifteen minutes of this, by the end of which he was so excited he did his little spin-out thing I showed in another video, then he crashed on the tile for a nap.

I think he likes it :3:

hahah, it certainly seems like it! :D How's it holding up, now? Those plushies (well, some of them at least) seem to be deceptively durable, which is handy.
On that topic, hopefully he didn't do too much damage to that spider, either! haha

And yeah, that's odd. Maybe he's seen me cross my arms a lot, and figured he'd give it a go, heh.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
(Slightly late) Happy birthday, Wren! Pretty lucky, getting that burger :D
Oh, and your post reminded me; the 22nd was the one year anniversary of me fostering (then later formally adopting) Tazo!

Although li'l Taz is a year older, he still hates being told to go to bed just as much, as above. :D Although he's still going to end up sleeping, (indoors, at that) so I'm not sure what the big deal is, he just doesn't like being anywhere other than in the study - preferably with me there, too.

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Aww, such a good doggo! (and what a snoot!) :3: