Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Bean's coat is so pretty in person, but it doesn't show up well in pictures. Some pretty brindles in the thread! People tell me all the time that they've never seen a greyhound "that color" but when I went to meet her all of the dogs I met had brindle coats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

HappyHelmet posted:

So I'm about 90% sure that I will adopt a greyhound sometime (as in the next few months, not right away) after I return to the USA next week.

However, the group I'm looking to adopt from notes "not suitable for apartment" after pretty much every dog on their website. I will be looking for work in the Seattle area so will absolutely be living in an apartment, but I was under the impression greyhounds do pretty well in an apartment. Just to be sure thought maybe I'd check with you guys.

I guess what I'm most concerned about is how greyhounds deal with being alone in an apartment alone for standard 8 hour work shifts.

Bean seems content with apartment life. I used to check on her at lunch but after a while she just seemed irritated that I woke her up and didn't want to go out so now I usually leave her alone from 8-430 without incident or accident. She always gets a long walk in the morning and we go to the dog park 4 times a week.

Some groups have their own ideas about what makes a good home for a greyhound. The first group I talked to didn't say they didn't adopt to apartments but did say they only adopted to people who had fenced-in yards because some dogs are shy and won't go potty on a leash. I talked to another group that said that sounded like a silly reason and even if they did have a dog that wouldn't go potty on a leash they just wouldn't place him anywhere without a fenced-in yard, not reject all apartment-dwellers.

Also, unless the group you're looking at has a lot of dogs listed I think it's unlikely they're listing every dog they have to place- the group I wound up working with only posted info about 5 or 6 dogs at a time. I would contact the group anyway- if they don't have a dog for you now they might find one later, or else they may be able to point you toward other groups in the area who might be able to help you.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Fuzz Feets posted:

I come to this thread to humbly request more pictures please. Thanks!

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Tree Goat posted:

Can anyone recommend some good booties that will stand up to snow/salt/cold? We have some of the plastic ones but they are a pain to get on, seem pretty uncomfortable for him, and even though they are the large breed size seem a little small. (It also doesn't help that he will bound into the deepest snow almost immediately).

Bean has booties from K9 Voyager. They go up past the ankle? Good for a walk but she has trouble keeping them on at full speed. She seems happy with them otherwise.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPEQTi9L3dE

It's 5 degrees out, let's go to the dog park! No matter the weather, she typically only does a few laps and then goes to stand by the gate until I get the idea and take her back home to her beloved futon.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

From the comics megathread

Nice. Reminded me of this:

from here.

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

actionjackson posted:

I put booties on Abby since it's a -12 windchill. She was able to walk around in them, but incredibly slowly. It might be faster just to leave them off - while her feet will be much colder, she will do her business much faster.

I have the greyhound booties from K9 Voyager. Bean walks about normal speed in them now that she's used to them, but a couple of times I've incorrectly guessed how cold it would feel if she went out without them and had to carry a sad, freaked-out hound back to the house. Windmill doesn't seem to matter so much to her, but about 20 I put the boots on if we're even just going around the block. (I live in central WI, the first winter we moved here we had days in the -20s, felt like -40 with windchill)

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011
Bean is six today!

Happy birthday, skinnyface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainsaw McGee
Dec 31, 2011

DarkHorse posted:

Spartacus caught a rabbit :stare:

Lol, Barbie did practically the same thing last week, except she brought the bigger-than-a-bread-box bunny back in the house. No damage to the hound; the rabbit hopped out of the house on its own only to (I assume) have a heart attack in the backyard.

She was so proud of herself.

Chainsaw McGee fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 17, 2017