Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

We've had Tess for about seven months.
She gets called: Long dog, bone dog, needle nose, noodle knees (She was really skittish when she first arrived, especially around cars and other dogs. She got over that and now loves walks.) and babby dog.
As a retiree, she still doesn't understand toys. She likes chewing her toys, but she won't fetch or play. I am convinced that the way to fix this is to get another greyhound that does understand toys. My girlfriend thinks this is a Bad Idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

We met this freckly beast this morning to see what our grey thinks thinks of him.

I could not get a good photo of him. Here's his profile pic from the adoption site.

His name is Casey, and was retired from racing when he broke his hock. He was remarkably calm and well-behaved, and he'll be coming home with us in a couple of weeks. Maybe he'll be less camera-shy then and I can get pics of him and Tess together.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

dog days are over posted:

Now that I dig sight hounds so much I've got my mind on a saluki if a rescue one ever appears (unlikely but who knows?)..
I love my greys, but just going off looks, I'd want a borzoi.

We met Casey last weekend and picked him up today.

He's settling in fairly well, and Tess is quite excited to have a friend. She's been trying to get him to play, but he was too interested in exploring to pay her much attention. Now they're both lying awkwardly on the floor.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

alucinor posted:

What a cutie! He looks a LOT like my Ty, right down to the head spot. Does he have Molotov in his line? That dude throws cookie cutter grandpups.
It looks like Ty's got a heart on his side in that shot. :3:
No Molotov, but he is a descendant of HB Commander. Everything I know about racing greyhound lines, I learned looking that up.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

http://www.greyhound-data.com/earmark.htm
Tess got first in 3 of 22 races. Casey got first in 52 of 106.
What this means is that Tess retired earlier so her teeth are much nicer.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Good dog, Casey,

What? No, that's not right.

:stare: Do whatever you want, dog.

(Sorry for the poor quality. My phone isn't great at this)

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Cross-posting some pics from Tong Your Pets

Tess tolerates a lot. Other dogs bother her, but no amount of teasing from me gets anything but sad, patient, and distant gazes

Casey is skittish. He scares himself bumping into furniture. Foreign objects are Very Spooky and so he didn't get tonged for long enough to get a good picture.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

If you're really worried, try sending an email. These are mostly volunteer organizations and can get a little disorganized, so a reminder can be a big help. I waited a whole month before I sent an email asking about my application and within two days we were doing a house check.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Is sleeping face down normal? I don't think it's normal.
I don't think this dog is normal.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

^^^It's not about DC, but a good rescue can make a huge difference.
Over the summer, a monsoon knocked a tree on my apartment, putting a huge hole in the roof and flooding it. We didn't have any friends that could take our dogs and we couldn't take proper care of them while we were dealing with the roof. I called the adoption coordinator, who would have taken them if not for a difficult foster. She got me in contact with a pet sitter who does fostering for the group. The sitter said she would look after them for half-rate, despite going past her normal limit of dogs, and even offered my fiancee and me a bed for the night. When we went to pick them up, she declined any payment. I don't know what we would have done without our rescue.
So uh, if you were in Tucson this would matter.

crowtribe posted:

Woo, apparently a change in legislation in my state (Western Australia) allows greyhounds as pets to be assessed for a 'green collar', aka, a muzzle exemption!

Only took 86 years for the change. That's fast by WA reckoning.

I couldn't find out much about this, so I'd like a little clarification. In Australia, greyhounds are dangerous and need muzzles in public? Is it so they can't lick?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Pig Head posted:

Phew, OK thanks for the replies! Skeeter raced for 4 years so I'd imagine he'd need more than 6ish months to break certain habits. Heck, that pic was taken 2 weeks ago and that was the first time he realized he could chill on the couch! :3:

Dogs can take up to a year for their personality to really unfold. It wasn't until 7 months after we got her that Tess started to be Very Talkative. When we got her, she was quiet, now she has Opinions on just about everything that happens.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'll try to get a something longer later tonight. She's already gone back to bed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIdpR3t_wQ
Messy apartment, shaky camera.
Adorable dog.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Anyone have a recommendation of a place online to get a Tess a warm coat for this winter? It's still 90 here in Tucson, but last year the nights got a little too cold for her.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Greyhound thread activity!

Fuzz Feets posted:

I come to this thread to humbly request more pictures please. Thanks!

Took this earlier. Just a dog being long.

RazorBunny posted:

Countdown to ladyhound :3:
My ladyhound is a little princess and I wouldn't have it any other way. :3:

Galler posted:

*He can easily just walk right up onto the couch like most greys but it apparently took him a while to figure that out.
You say that, but Casey can't figure the couch out at all. He puts his front paws up and doesn't know what to do after that. My girlfriend tried to coax him up yesterday, and it was just too complicated.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Nov 26, 2013

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

:buddy:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'm at my parents' for the holidays, and the bigger house gives Casey a little extra room to romp around.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnkRowJkXDo

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Butt trouble is the worst.
At about 5 this morning, Casey started panting really heavily. I figured he was thirsty, so I let him out of the bedroom, refilled the water bowl, and decided to let them outside while I was up.
When Casey pooped, he yelped. He pooped again and yelped again. I checked his stool for blood, nothing. He wouldn't let me touch his tail to check his behind. I decided to wait till morning and see how he was.

Fine. This morning, he's fine. Knowing him, it was too cold.

Also, a pic of Tess trying to get off the couch.

It took her a while.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Nope, very soft. That said, Casey is a sensitive flower, and anything could have been wrong.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Small dogs and cats seem to be fairly different things for dogs. My dogs both go on high alert near cats, despite both fostered in a house with a cat, and I wouldn't trust them near one, but neither have had any trouble with small dogs. This depends on the individual dog, but as long as you are supervising, they are Probably Trustable.

I would wait until you're closer to a month away from when you're ready for a dog to start looking for an individual dog. It might be a good idea now to start figure out what personality you want and let the rescue find a dog that suits you, but I wouldn't get you heart set on one.

(http://camodad.com/archives/186)

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Glad to hear that she's doing well! I wouldn't worry too much about a little uneasiness at night. This is all a little weird for her, and she'll settle in with a time.

Just a tiny dog.

Found a bandanna, put it on a dog. I have it on good authority that bandanna dogs are the nicest dogs. Casey is not easy to photograph. He's wiggly.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tess turned 4 on Tuesday. She's a little April Fool.

Casey is a regular fool.

And something from the Funny Pictures thread.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Kojiro posted:

Going to pick up this boy on Thursday! Very excited to have our own longlegs stiltdog :3:

He's a lurcher, possibly with a little collie in him- can anyone guess if he'll need one of the special wide greyhound-type collars? He seems to be ok in a regular one for now, but he's still only 4 months old, so he's got a a bunch of growing to do.

He's a cute little guy!

So what makes the collars for greyhounds special isn't the width, it's the design on them. A greyhound can slip out of a regular collar, since their necks are thick and their heads are so narrow. Martingales, on the other hand, get tighter the more the dog pulls. My dogs have a normal collar with their tags on it, and I put their martingales on when we walk.

If you're sure he can't slip out of a normal collar, then keep on using it, but if you think he could, I would suggest getting a martingale.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

^^^:buddy:
He's got such a great color. It can take a few months for a dog to really open up. We got Tess in October of 2012 and it wasn't until the following July that she really settled in. Yours will probably figure things out quicker, but do give him time.

Casey split his front left paw open on the bottom at 11 last night. The vet said it was an inch-and-a-half cut, but he didn't damage any tendons. He got a few stitches today, and should be back to causing mayhem soon.
Right now, he's groggy and grumpy from the pain and anesthetics wearing off, but he does have a lovely little sock.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

A pillow thrown on Tessie became a dog fort. She was surprisingly okay with this.

Casey Update: Stitches were removed, he has a scar to show off, and he got to spend the whole weekend running around my parents' yard.

various cheeses posted:

Lana ran out the door at a friend's place in another town. I thought she was going to book it to Mexico or wherever dogs go when they run away. Instead she tore rear end around a couple of houses and came back to the door. Also pooped. What a relief.
It's probably Mexico, but I say that since I'm in Arizona and Casey has made two attempts to get to the border, only to be stopped by delivery men who were at the right place at the right time.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I feel like most of the pictures I share of Tess are of her lying down, curled up in a ball.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

^^^Casey goes crazy when either of us eat a banana. He usually gets a chunk. He'd even rather get a banana than go outside, and he loves going outside.

Some shots from a few days ago. Dogs joined me on the couch, then saw something out the window.

So majestic! Until you see Tessie's ears.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

^^^It's way too square and orderly for that. If that were the case, it would be in a pile and he would be mostly off of it. That is a human-placed blanket.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

My hound is only ever too goofy.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Casey (somehow) broke his outer toe on his back right foot Friday evening. Came inside after being doing his business, and he had his foot completely off the ground.
Vet said it's gonna be 6 weeks minimum in splints and bandages, and I have to keep this dog from running, even though it's his one true passion in life.
I had to adjust his legs so he didn't lay down on top of them. He keeps bumping the cone and scaring himself. He's just a poor, pathetic buddy right now.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 2, 2014

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

What did our dogs get for Christmas?

:frog:
Also pumpkin dog cookies, made by my grandma. There aren't many treats that Tess will take from my fingers. Normally I have to set them down on the ground for her. She will take those pumpkin dog cookies from me.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Did you high five that dog? Did you leave that dog hanging?

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Yusssss

In return, i give you dog faces:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

:buddy:
A good dog.

And Tess is a classy lady.

rhoga fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Mar 9, 2015

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tess turns 5 today, so I tried to get a few photos of her.

It was early, though, so she just stood in the shade. Casey was feeling much more photogenic.

And then?

The dogs got their much-needed burger.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I would not deny a dog her cheeseburger on her birthday. I present further proof:

It is also proof that Tess does not know how to eat food.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Moral of the story is that dogs are weird.
Proof:

There is a bed next to them and these dummies don't even care.

In fact, there are two beds for two dogs. And they are in between them.

Dogs.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

As a note, that bed is normally made, and the red comforter is there to keep the dogs from messing it up. It did not work this time.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

It is right there in the thread title. These dogs need their burgers. We would be irresponsible not to give them burgers.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

various cheeses posted:

How old are your dogs? Mine is turning grey in the face and she's only 5.
Before:

After:

That's about 2 years apart. I didn't realize how white his face had gotten!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

PartyCrown posted:

He's not going to have it for too much longer! I ordered a really pretty martingale for him from etsy yesterday.
I don't want to meddle, but it sounds like you plan on using the martingale instead of the regular collar. If that's not the case, don't mind me.
While a martingale is important while a dog is on a leash, a dog that isn't supervised probably shouldn't have a martingale on. Unlike a regular collar, if the martingale gets caught on something, it will tighten as the dog struggles to get free. This can seriously injure your dog if you aren't there, or have trouble freeing them.
Safe practice is using a regular collar for his tags, and use a martingale for his leash.
I just want safe, happy dogges so I can get lots of good pictures.