Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Meesha's so tiny! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

:burger:April 1st is Tess's birthday, which means our dogs need to eat a burger.:burger:

Tess is a little timid about taking food. Casey is not. They both enjoyed their burger very much.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Speaking of burgers, Casey's birthday came around last week, which meant our dogs shared a burg.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tree Goat posted:

Level with me: how bad are the post burger toots?

Rancid death clouds. So not any worse than normal.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Dog is Working As Intended.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Yes.
:burger::burger::burger:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Between Noodle-to-be finding a home and a noodledog winning, it's a good time for greyhounds.
Hooray greyhounds!

Hooreyhounds

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

April 1st means Tess needs to eat a burger. Happy birthday, Tess!

Casey got some burger too.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I love your weird muppet dog.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Genovera and I are going to pick up this handsome guy from a rescue this evening.

I'm not going to get anything done at work. I'm just gonna be thinking about dog.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

actionjackson posted:

Congratulations! How long has he been off the track? Looks like a while based on the low amount of ribs visible.

He is actually coming from a blood bank, not straight from the track. Universal donors!

More pictures to follow. 4 hours to go. The wait is killing me.

Edit: new page, have a Tess

rhoga fucked around with this message at 21:23 on May 18, 2018

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

aaaaaaaa

(introductory walk)

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tess is a little jealous that he is getting any attention. That's her attention, she should get all of it.

It's super blurry, but...

He smiles when he's excited! Which explains the blur. He gets really wiggly.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'm glad they pass muster.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Here's the records for our dogs:
Tennyson- http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=2177239 - we are not proud of his racing name
Tess- http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1815266 - a whopping 22 races!
Casey- http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1761452 - 106 races before he broke his hock, and in 52 of them, he got first place

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Tess passed away last night. She had been sick for a long time, and it finally got to be too much for her.

She contracted valley fever when we first got her, in October 2012. She had a cough and some weakness. She went on anti-fungal medication and got better. Last year, around April, it came back. This time, the infection was in her brain. It was scary, but more anti-fungals, and some steroids to control the swelling, and she was back to herself in a couple weeks.

In November, she had another recurrence. This time it was in her spine. The swelling caused her to lose motor control in her back legs. We tried several anti-fungal treatments, and got the valley fever under control, but her vet said that the nerve damage was likely permanent.

Despite all of that, the past two weeks had actually been very good. She seemed happy. She was wiggling and eating, and letting us know her opinions on everything.

Yesterday, she vomited after breakfast. Dogs barf sometimes, no cause for alarm on its own. She also had some diarrhea. We figured she had an upset stomach. We planned for bland meals and to keep an eye on her. Then, about as I was leaving work, Genovera let me know Tess had bloody diarrhea. Genovera took her to the emergency vet, and I met them there from work.
By the time I arrived, the vets were performing CPR. We told them that they could stop. Tess had fought hard for five months, and it was time for her to rest.

It's gonna be a lot of pictures from here on.

I decided to get a greyhound from reading the old archived thread her on SA, and I am so glad that I did. Thank you everyone, for sharing your weird dogs with us in the good and bad times. Tess was a good dog, a good friend, and we'll miss her a lot.

I wouldn't normally post a picture of myself, but I'm gonna make an exception this time. Of all of the pictures we have, this one is my favorite.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

So a lot of retired racers take a little time to grow into being house dogs. Sometime in the first year, you look back and you realize that your dog came out of its shell. For Tess it was a pretty sudden change.

When we first got her in October, she was skittish, shy, and quiet. The valley fever made her lethargic. We treated the valley fever, and she got her energy back, but she still didn't know how to be a house dog. That lasted until the summer.

The summer after we got Tess, a monsoon knocked a tree onto our apartment. Luckily, I had the number for someone from the rescue, who got me in contact with someone who did boarding. The boarder was a huge help. She took care of the dogs for a few days while we moved to a new unit.

When we went to pick up the dogs, the boarder mentioned that Tess was very talkative. I didn't know what she meant, since Tess had always been quiet before, but I was happy to have my dogs back, so I didn't think too much about it. When we got home, it turned out that everything finally clicked for Tess, and she had figured how how to be a house dog. The boarder had several other dogs, so maybe she finally had an example to work off of.

The biggest change was that Tess found her voice. She had a lovely voice, and she had a lot to say.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrIdpR3t_wQ

But also meant that she figured out how to whine. And she whined whenever she felt like she was being ignored. She would just lie in the other room and pout. I would remind her that the door was open, and she would come wiggling out to get pets.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Mac was kind of cooperative this morning, so I got a few photos:

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I'm so sorry, spine stuff is hard. I'm rooting for you and your sweet girl.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

Merry Christmas, greyhound goons!

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

I love Rollo and he looks soft. Please confirm/deny.

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

So fierce!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rhoga
Jun 4, 2012

mon chou

shortly after this a rabbit ran across the road and the walk became difficult