Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'
Speaking of greyhounds as first dogs, are they really as good (small) apartment dogs as people advertise them to be? And how much time do they need someone to be around? Between work and extracurriculars my weekdays are somewhat irregular (although I usually do have some time at home between work and activities), and I'm not sure how fair that'd be to a dog.

Are whippets just greyhounds that have been hit by a shrink ray, or are there other differences to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

RazorBunny posted:

Depending on what kind of activities you do in the evenings, you could potentially take the dog with you. They're generally pretty content to pull up a corner and nap while you do your thing, and just going to a different house for a couple of hours is usually enough mental stimulation to last them a few days.

Yeah, it wouldn't be the only dog in the club curled up in a corner. We've got a wheelchair fencer with a helper dog (lab/retriever mix, sweetest thing ever) that spends the time on her pillow moping about how nobody's paying her any attention. The first greyhound I met is at another club, and he spends his time on his pillow with occasional lazy forays looking for people to pet him.

This is more a general "I've never had a dog" question, but what's the general upkeep like? I gather their breeding has kept them pretty healthy overall. Were I to get serious about this (which is probably far away at the moment) what sorts of things do I need to keep in mind and to look out for?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Judging from pictures posted recently, I have to assume that the problem with getting up is that greyhounds are actually just really big slugs.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

skoolmunkee posted:

Yeah Union had three beds, but mostly because I couldn't be arsed moving one bed all over the place. She did always want to be in whatever room I was in.

This came up on my tumblr, http://youtu.be/RGkiq3W-XGo It is a yearlong video of a greyhound taken in one-second-every-day clips. You get a surprisingly good picture of a sweet doggie :)

Egads did that re-ignite my want of a greyhound