Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona's eating pattern has just shifted in the last few weeks - she used to wolf down her meals right away, but now she'll leave it and eat over the course of the day. We took her to the vet and they did a physical and took some blood work, but nothing seems wrong. Anyone else encounter a similar change in behavior before? She's getting all of her food, and still has interest in treats, so I'm not super worried, but it's a pretty significant change. I'm thinking it might just be stress from the baby keeping her up, and from being back to being alone for the day, after 4 months of having my wife be at home during her maternity leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It's weird that it'd go away after 4 years, but I suppose anything is possible. Mona's appetite seems to be returning a bit to her old pattern. She doesn't always go right for her food, but, when she does decides to eat, at least she finishes the whole meal.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

ArmadilloConspiracy posted:

I'm really hoping he "gets" the furniture soon.

Mona won't go on a piece of furniture unless she's invited to first. Once she knows it's ok to go on a specific piece, she'll go on to it on her own no problem. It's actually pretty convenient. Not sure why she's like this, but maybe it's the same for yours.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Hey Goonhounds, I'm about to move with my wife to a new apartment and I've been thinking about adopting a Greyhound (probably not a retired horsedog since I'm in SPain and I don't think dog races are big here) since I read they are pretty lazy and don't mind apartments as long as you take them out to stretch their giant monster legs like any other dog.

I just wanted to know how true this is. Both me and my wife work, but she has different schedules so the dog would be alone some times, or spend some weeks in constant company, and our apartment isn't going to be very big. So, even though I've read a couple of times that Greyhounds are chill dogs and that they don't mind an apartment, I just wanted to hear it from actual owners.

Mona is good with 2, 30 min walks a day, and the occasional run in our backyard. If we had to move to an apartment she'd be fine, although we'd probably lengthen the walks if there wasn't a convenient place to let her run. We've stayed in hotels with her for over a week at a time, and been fine.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Galgos Del Sol is another Galgos rescue. Not vouching for how good they are, but I heard about them when I bought a greyhound hat for one of their fundraisers.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Fuzz Feets posted:

I do know that another dog in this thread, Mona has a pretty rad bed set up too if you flip back a few pages.

Mona has taken to sleeping in the middle of the floor. I think it's so she can trip us if we get up in the middle of the night. She'll rest and lie down on her bed when we're in the room, but won't sleep overnight in it. Stupid dog.

edit: Since it's a new page:

Here's Mona with the baby

They are getting along wonderfully. Baby smiles whenever she see's Mona, and bursts out laughing whenever she comes in contact with Mona's fur. We've managed to keep the face licking down to a minimum too.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Sep 4, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mine are from Hound Decor, which is owned by the secretary of our greyhound rescue. Looks like they have some similar patterns. We have two collars that we've had since we've gotten Mona. We alternate them whenever we decide to wash one. They've held up pretty well, considering they are 4 years old, some minor fraying, but other wise in really good shape.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

It took Mona a couple months of weekly dog park visits to start playing with other dogs as well. She loves to wait for a couple dogs to chase another dog, and then will go join in. Otherwise, she'll pick one or two dogs that she'll focus trying to play with. Usually, it's either a large dog like a german shepard, or a small dog - she love's corgi's.

gninjagnome fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Oct 19, 2014

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

pastor of muppets posted:

In other news, Rory ate a whole buffalo wing the other night and I made her barf it up with hydrogen peroxide which made her Very Sad.

Mona ate 2 a few months ago - basically swallowed them whole. The vet said to pack her up with rice/pumpkin and just wait it out. The worry was that the bones would damage her throat on the way back up. She recovered fine, and enjoyed the extra food.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona is afraid of the vacuum too, but due to the treats she occasionally gets when we vacuum, she hovers a few feet away the whole time. She has a cute look that is a mixture of terror and anticipation on her face the whole time.

If she's in another room when we start, she runs over at full speed then stops at the door with an "oh crap" look on her face.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

At first I felt guilty leaving mine at home while I was at work, but I set up a web cam to see what she did while we were away, and saw that she just slept all day. I'm sure she'd prefer to be on the couch, but the crate is pretty comfortable too.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

slap me silly posted:

Same. And he can hold his bladder for 15 hours (not that I ever ask him to).

Mine has a couple times by accident because she's a wuss about the cold and hate when her butt touches snow. We'll let her out, but if we don't watch her, sometimes she'll pretend to go, and just comes back in real quick. Then she just pees on the carpet if we don't immediately let her out in the morning.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Baby has started throwing food on the ground, so Mona is feasting! Now we're trying to train Mona to stay on her bed when we're eating, but it's so tempting when there's sausage on the floor...

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mona has been doing a good job putting up with baby shenanigans.

The feeding of cheerio's and goldfish has helped alot.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Since they have webbed feet, I've always wondered how well greyhounds would be able to swim.

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Our rescue gave us a leash, collar and muzzle, and they also let people borrow crates. Borrowing one could be useful depending on the dog - some like them, some don't. You might end up needing a different sized one, depending the size of the particular grey you adopt.

I would definitely get a coat. I always put one on Mona when it's below 50. I don't personally worry about salt on walks, but we only go for short walks in the winter, since she hates the cold.

Other than that, I wouldn't worry too much about it. We hadn't done any prep before the adoption day where we got Mona. We ended up picking up a crate, food bowl and a dog bed on the way home from the adoption day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gninjagnome
Apr 17, 2003

Mine had really dry, flacky skin when we first got her. Fish oil pills helped out a lot. Seems like she got over it after a year or so. I assume it probably had something to do with her diet.