Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
Sighthound owner checking in. Greyhounds should be the most popular dog in america because like us: they're so drat lazy around the house.

Just for dog-nerd clarification on the OP: a sighthound's (and all dogs for that matter) gallop is nothing like a horse gallop. When dogs perform a rotary, double-suspension gallop, there is a good bit of spine flexing. Horses perform a diagonal, single-suspension gallop with a rigid spine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
1 week = still sensory overload. Give it more time for the personality to emerge.

Congrats, he's pretty. If you ever want to lure course, I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. Fun thing to do with retired racers.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
Thanks for sharing, skoolmunkee, that was great. I remembered and loved Union.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Ahahaha. Given that Adam was racing as recently as April down in St. Petersburg, his coat is pretty poo poo right now, but I look forward to late winter-ish, when he'll get his next coat and hopefully get a bit more hair on his underside.

In other news, I'm about a month in with Adam, and oh man definitely he's showing a lot more personality now, both at home and outside too. I finally found a good trigger for him to run full-speed -- I noticed while walking him around the local park that he took a major interest in frisbees, and so I took him to the dog park and started throwing one around with my friend, and Oh man he runs real fast! Sadly I have no photos (trying to take a picture of a greyhound running is deceptively hard), but it was really gratifying to see.

Trick with frisbees and sighthounds: roll it on the ground as hard and as fast as you can get it. They'll chase them down, hopefully pick them up. From there, once they get used to mouthing it from a ground take, you can working on catching from the air.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
And while on the expensive side, try these: http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...sl_3wu60gbjxd_b

The afghans don't like hard frisbees, but love these. We have 4 of them that have lasted about 10 years. They also don't hurt when your derpy afghan doesn't open its mouth and gets hit in the head by it.

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

Enigma89 posted:

Do any of you guys have experiences with the Saluki breed? I have been doing a lot of research on them lately, they seem like they are very similar to Greyhounds but they come from Arabia and they look absolutely beautiful.

The only thing holding me back about getting one is that I will be moving to New York again soon. I know they have dog-run parks where you can unleash a dog in a fenced off area and can run its heart out. I also work from home so I think I will be able to walk the dog enough.

They're pretty cool dogs. Kinda like afghans but with a little less sense of humor, a little more spooky/prissy. Salukis were bred to only ever take hare or gazelle, but afghans took poo poo that would fight back which makes them a bit more robust/confident in the temperament department. We homed one of our afghan puppies to a lady in NYC in an apt. She skates/scooters with Arya daily for miles around the city, takes her to dog parks and has taught her to respect an e-collar so she can be in off-lead areas of the public park. If you want to contact her about living in NYC with a large sighthound, here's her FB: https://www.facebook.com/diana.kassir?fref=ts

Here's Arya offlead somewhere in upstate NY.

SachielDVangel fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 1, 2013

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

The dog of Kings

The King of Dogs*

* it's in our standard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SachielDVangel
Jun 4, 2003
He just sits like that.