Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Tell your friends we're coming for them

AtomikKrab posted:

[timg]

Piper says she makes a great guarddog/doorstopper

Someone stole your dog's neck!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Radiation Cow posted:

Boudicca scared the bejesus out of us last night. I got woken up at around 3am by Gello, who wanted her blankie. At the same time, I checked up on Boudicca and saw she was lying in a pool of what I assumed was pee.

It wasn't; it was blood. Took me about 10 minutes to find the source of the bleeding, and by that time her entire back half was soaked, was was the couch and carpet. One of her skin cancer tumours had burst. Got her bandaged up and off to the vet, and then spent the next few hours worrying about surgery, since she's 12.

Luckily, she came out of the incident no worse for wear and a few tumours lighter. And I got the excuse I needed for a full house spring cleaning.

I love this dog so much and even the smallest reminder of her mortality is not something I want to consider.

Pictured below: a 100% sober dog

That is a royal bed!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Oh Radiation Cow, I'm so sorry. :( I'm sure Gello knows she is treasured, but spoil her all the same.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Oh RadiationCow. Thank you for sharing your most special ding-dong dog with us. I gave my Josie an extra cuddle for you (she hated it)

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

I know this is stupid and I'm being stupid but you guys are the ones who will understand.

Ever since Josie turned 9 this summer I just constantly think about her dying. I know it is likely to be in the next couple years. I remember how suddenly Union was gone and I keep looking at Josie with that dread in my mind. I'm always inspecting her gait and how energetic she is or isn't, if she's feeling particularly bouncy or lazy, what a tiny change of habit might mean, etc. For example this year she has not always been able to hold her potty all night anymore. I try my best but she's just getting older. I check her all over for little scabs or try to feel anomalies. If she does one of those "I scared myself so I yelped for no reason" I drop everything for a full inspection. She's not so good walking in the dark any more and has misstepped off curbs and walked into parked cars. The last month for some reason she got several pimples on her head, side, and leg?? I just have the tiny bit of gloom inside me like, aah what is going to happen, what am I going to do?

Of course I do everything to keep her happy and healthy and sometimes I just look at her thinking what a good and beautiful girl she is, and that I hope she knows I adore her. Even though she hates when I give her too much loves and she absolutely won't let me lay on the floor with her or sit next to her on the sofa. :mad:

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Gosh, thanks guys. :) just knowing I'm not the only one helps, and yeah of course I'm not being gloomy or obsessed about it. But just taking things as they come and trying to have a more logical and positive mindset.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

TODD!!!!!!!!!

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Hello looked like an incredibly happy girl :3

A lady I know has a deerhound and a saluki, the deerhound has like a slow motion shake (they are generally kind of slow motion dogs) and the saluki does get a little of the leg wobble, but it's not so intense.

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Oh Rory ❤️ What a wonderful girl, that story made me smile so much! They're such gentle souls, I love how they are just so happy to quietly share space with us (or take up all of it).

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

Well, it has happened. I had to say goodbye to Josie today. I know I didn't share her a lot here but that was mostly because it's a pain for me to put pictures in a post.

She had been declining the last couple months, having a lot of trouble with vision in the dark, stumbling on steps or going over thresholds. Like she would pause at a threshold and have to nerve herself up and she would do a little plunge- step to go over. Trip on the step up into the decking. Trouble in the dark like just walking into parked cars, off of kerbs, getting "stuck" outside at night when coming in from a wee because the door wasn't directly in front of her. I took her to a vets who didn't find anything and suspected maybe a neuro issue, but manageable. Anyway it slowly got worse instead of better.

Last night she went down 2 carpeted steps from a landing and somehow fumbled that and crashed at the bottom and snapped her back leg, at the skinny bit where that big blood vessel snakes around. Didn't break the skin but apparently shattered the bone rather than a clean break, although no obvious osteo on x-ray something not right with bone. Spent all night just thinking about outcomes and in my heart knowing with her vision and mobility problems, and her unbroken leg being the arthritic one, her recovery would not be easy no matter what. With whatever underlying issue was going on (let alone any results from bone biopsy) there was only one kind choice really.

I will update later with some stories and pictures. She was a very good girl, sweet natured and silly, and didn't deserve the trauma here at the end. But she went while she was super doped up so not in pain, with her two favourite people giving her fuss and reassurances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skoolmunkee
Jun 27, 2004

skoolmunkee posted:

Sometimes I just think, TODD