Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Whippet? Did someone say whippet?

:3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Well, it can be. I'll be introducing my cat to Blake in a couple months, so I'll have to make sure he doesn't freak out and try to chase it or anything. He's otherwise the laziest fucker, but I don't wanna take any chances - I'll be taking it really slow with those two.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I posted this in the cat thread, but it fits better here, so:

I'm getting ready to introduce my 12-year old whippet to my cat. Blake, the dog, was neutered young and is basically the laziest thing ever. Jet, the cat (no relation to Trauma Tank :v:), is 4 years old and I honestly don't know how he'll react. What's the basic idea with introducing a whippet to a cat? My primary worry is that Blake is significantly larger than the cat, so I'm scared of Jet getting hurt. Plus, a whippet is predisposed to chase after running targets - and the cat does run around a bit when he's bored, so I'm scared of setting his instinct off. Is it any more difficult to introduce a whippet to a cat, or is it the same as usual? If so, how should I go about introducing them?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

He is the laziest fucker and doesn't have much of a prey drive at all. If he's outside, he'll bark at a cat, but he's more likely to run away from it than towards it. He's a big ol' softie :downs: and rather old, too, so he's not the type to run around a lot. Jet is, though, and if he's meant to react at something running away, then maybe that'll set it off - but I haven't really seen that happen yet.

We're gonna give it a day or two, then leash them both and let Jet approach Blake. We'll start off small, both behind a door, then try opening it with a window or something in front.

Jet's an indoors cat only, so I'm hoping that he won't be interested in him at all. There is a cat outside that walks around occasionally that he barks at, but not while Blake's outside, I think.

Oh god I want this to go well :ohdear:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Union dog good dog. Good dog Union. :unsmith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Sigh. Whippet chat. My parents decided to adopt a couple relatively young whippets recently: Thor in brindle, and Trix in brown.

They're named after these corn snacks. :v:

Our last whippet, Blake, died sometime around Thanksgiving 2014. Mom's been wanting another dog or two ever since (empty nest syndrome, all us kids are on our own now), but dad's been against it. (Red flag #1.) But, here they are, with two new puppies! They're about 1~1.5 years old, so still very young. (Red flag #2.)

Trix is apparently very similar to Blake, calm, quiet and definitely not insane-o running around like typical puppies. Thor, though...

Red flag #3. Yep, that's a chewed-through leash, a broken potted plant, and an attempted escape. :shepface: He's gonna be a handful.

Dad's pretty pissed off, especially since the dogs are really more my mom's idea than my dad's, and he's annoyed at having to contribute to taking care of them. Thor also apparently knows how to open doors??? Which freaks my parents out. My brother and sister are at the family home for now, so they're being monitored throughout the day, but when they're gone...we might have problems.

I feel like my mom kinda rushed into this decision (dad just sort of begrudgingly acquiesced to it), and I'm not sure they can handle puppies/a non-geriatric dog. Trix is great and all, but Thor might be too much for them, especially since they're used to an old, lazy fatass of a dog that didn't do much all day anyway. I'm worried that they might end up giving Thor back and keeping Trix, which kinda pisses me off.

It might be a bit too early for any useful advice, but is there anything to do to prevent more problems like this? My parents are mostly calling Thor's destruction a result of separation anxiety, which is weird because my brother and sister haven't actually been away yet.

In any case, welcome to poo poo motherfuckers :downs:

edit: Dad says his name is Thor, so whatever~

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 31, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Fuzz Feets posted:

Greyhounds have the most effective 'guilty eyes ' play I have ever seen in a dog

Case in point:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

One of my parents' whippets escaped during lunch, ran through their neighbors' front door, and took a poo poo on the floor. :shepface:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Here a doggos:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

jesus WEP posted:

them doe eyes tho

That one’s the bigger rear end in a top hat of the two. The brindle does garbage like run away into the neighbor’s house and poo poo on their floor, sure, but the brown fuckin haaaaaaates me. Huge scaredy cat, too.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Major Isoor posted:

Aw, such cuties! :D And yes, bribes always work a treat! haha

And that's hilarious, Pollyanna! Now that you mention it, my old whippet always used to run over to the neighbours' house (thankfully a few houses down the road, so I'm not 100% if they knew he was my dog) and poo on their doorstep and front lawn, before promptly running back. (Never actually inside their house though, thankfully! Good lord)

It has happened multiple times :v:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My brother and Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/meetissai/status/1163047454587047936?s=21