Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

The engineer blew the whistle,
and the fireman rung the bell.
Last night's show is not one I'd recommend for anyone. Art cancelled his guest and got pretty right wing regarding San Bernadino. He did open lines and shut down a couple people he disagreed with while letting others advocate for white nationalism. Also infuriating gun chat.

I can't in good conscience recommend the day before either, unless you want to hear a man literally chewing glass for your listening pleasure.

The day before that, though, was about flying humanoids, and one of my favorites of the new run.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
how a dude that talks about flying humanoids gonna try to get down and serious with us? look breh, tomorrow you'll be talking about sasquatch cooking you a pie, calm the gently caress down

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
lol art's doing a show on weed tonight

quote:

Tonight on Midnight

Sally Vander Veer – Legal Marijuana

Let's look at how this is working
out in the real World. Twenty Years ago I said it should be legal and now it is in some places. Has it resulted in Crime, Rape and general mayhem as our Gov't forecasted?

Art

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

If he cancels his guest to talk politics again I'm gonna need a little break from the show.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Empire State posted:

If he cancels his guest to talk politics again I'm gonna need a little break from the show.

When I listen to old shows (mid 90s), it's a little easier to let his crummy politics slide by, relegated to history. But now when he starts on guns or ISIS or censorship or whatever else, I can barely listen. Libertarian ideology is the vacant philosophy of white dudes that want guns and weed and an excuse to champion selfishness as a person ambition. His politics haven't discernibly evolved in 20+ years.

Of course, too, Art thinks Anonymous is the coolest thing ever.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey what's wrong with guns?

Antifreeze Head
Jun 6, 2005

It begins
Pillbug
Keep in mind that he is 70 years old and people that age aren't likely to be terribly flexible in their opinions on things and they really reflect the mood of the era in which they were raised.

I have heard him take a rather dim view of the freemen on the land though.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Besides try listening to vintage art circa waco. Man I love guns, but man just talk to be living with Bigfoot art.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

He framed guns as a "We should all have them and any restriction means you want to confiscate them all," then got short with a caller who tried to talk about gun control, iirc. Which, ok, if you believe that, fine. But then don't have an open forum on the radio where you cut people off for disagreeing.

Last night's show was much better. Good guest, and Art tried to set up as many chances as possible for her to educate people and share her knowledge about legal weed.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I liked the sideshow guy. He had some good stories and it was kind of fun listening to how amazed Art was about eating light bulbs. Plus he had a great 9/11 story that sounds like an urban legend.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

More drama for Art tonight.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

WTF??? Has Art had any particularly weird or controversial shows lately? This is ridiculous!

Please don't quit, Art. Get a guard dog; a video-cam setup; some motion-controlled lights, or something! :(

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Could be a liberal pissed off by his pro gun ownership stance. Kinda proving his point though.

He has hinted lately about being skeptical of religion, that's enough to get shot at in some places.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

I think a few goons got on last Friday. I heard "jet fuel can't melt steel beams' and 'ayyy lmao'.

Also the guy who said lemonparty.org got all URLs banned from open lines.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
Sucks that someone's loving with Art like that. No idea why anybody'd want to shoot at a weird old guy with a radio show but lots of people have stupid and irrational motivations.

I love when he has David Jacobs on the show. That man is so completely and totally insane that his episodes are always entertaining.

That Damn Satyr
Nov 4, 2008

A connoisseur of fine junk
Guys I hope Art doesn't get murdered after he's finally kind of got his poo poo together. :ohdear:

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

This was posted on the People Who Love Art Bell Facebook group. Little more info.

---

"Just in case any of you are skeptical of what's been going on with Art...he posted this in, I believe, Bellgab, I don't know for sure b/c it was given to me by a friend, so here goes...

"Art Bell / Re: Art Bell
« on: November 30, 2015, 03:02:24 AM »
First it was so I could quit, then when I didn't quit, it became for ratings? Now there was no mouse?
I give up.

Art

Art Bell / Re: Art Bell
« on: November 30, 2015, 02:35:55 AM »
It comes with what I do I learned that a long time ago, people think and say the worst things, for the most part that's all they do from behind a mask is talk or make phone threats. It's that other very small group that one must worry about, people who talk rarely DO. A phone threat can be blown off easily but shooting near my House or showing up on my property is something else again, that at the very least is Terrorism.

Anybody who wishes will find the reports at the Nye County Sherrif's office, including the Neighbors who saw it. The way to get ratings is with a good show, not some stupid stunt. As far as talking about it I have always talked about my life on the air, I don't think I could not do that. Ho hum, people will always think and say what they want.

Art

Art Bell / Re: Art Bell
« on: November 29, 2015, 11:12:08 PM »
I don't post as much because I am busy with the show. I have seen some people think I made that stuff up for ratings? Not funny, I did consider leaving because of it because it put a big stress on my
Family as well as myself but it also pissed me off. You don't get ratings because you miss a day or your so shaken that it's hard to concentrate. Ratings only come from doing a good show. Besides do people think I got all my Neighbors to give false statements to the Police? My opinion is people like to imagian the worst of people, that's all.

Art"
And these are my words...let's quit speculating, and just give Art the love he has shown us, for so many years...
Thanks, Mj <3 to Art..!"

-----
^^That last bit was still the FB page.^^

vez veces fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 11, 2015

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
Pretty good episode to have as a rerun, this lady is batshit crazy.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The lady wasn't necessarily "crazy," but she is a fairly successful fiction writer.

So, tonight's show (Thurs. Dec. 10) was also a rerun? I missed the first half hour.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

Inveigle posted:

The lady wasn't necessarily "crazy," but she is a fairly successful fiction writer.

So, tonight's show (Thurs. Dec. 10) was also a rerun? I missed the first half hour.

It was another rerun. I sifted through Art Bell's FB for buried status updates, just gonna throw them all under one quote. Included some off topic ones for fun:

Art Bell on Facebook in the past 24 hours posted:

So lights and even more camera's are on the way. As far as the Police are concerned I will just say they are doing a lot of patrol here.

I just went through and deleted a big bunch of F word posts, from now on I will ban those people.

It is a shame to have to light everything up because that's one of the things I love about living here, the night sky is amazing.

This is not the City where the Police get to you in 2 or 3 Minutes if your lucky. The Police here are very good but I live in a very remote part of a small Desert Town and response time depends on how far away a unit is. I have a lot of respect for our Sheriff's office and have lived here about 25 Years now. Everything is a trade off, live in the sticks and you have to expect a longer response time. So a person has to pretty much take care of themselves which is what I am trying to do

Man it's crazy how sore I am, I did what was a belly flop on the ground and all my coffee, keys, papers went flying. I stayed down till the Patrol cars arrived because it was as dark as you you can imagine. What is amazing to me is that parts of my body which never hit the ground are really sore. My back is not letting me to stand straight today. At least I am here to complain

If you are going to use bad language please go some place else, people who can not find a way to say what they want without using foul language are no doubt limited in other mental ways

Random person: In a smallish community like Pahrump these harrassers can't be caught?
Art Bell: 40,000 people

Random person: George Noory is such a passive aggressive nutless douchebag. He just mocked Art Bell on C2C. Was bragging about getting some attendance award in grade school for never missing a day and how he only missed two days in thirteen years of C2C. I knew what was to follow. Then, he said "some talk show hosts will miss a couple days on-air for stubbing their toe." I just shut him off...dickwad he is.

Art Bell: Well if he really said that, I would say he gets a "A" for attendance! However Spelling, English, Grammar and Content Retention as well as Presentation must have at best been incomplete.
Like · Reply · 8 · 9 hrs · Edited
Emphasis mine. I'd love to know what that read before he edited it.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

art is such a pussy about red glowing eyes

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Maybe he didn't see them because it was a ....

Shadow Person!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

If Art catches the guy, that guy is going down Mel's hole.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Can anyone confirm if Noory really did say that? Wow.

livingfruitvirus
Nov 20, 2002

Grrr
He quit.

Art Bell on Facebook posted:

I am sorry to have to announce this but I will not be on Tonight or any other night, yes I am going to hang it up. Whoever this crazy person is, they are not stopping and it has come to the point that we as a Family do not feel it is worth the risk. While I think the person or persons are after me, my Wife and now my Daughter are really scared, the other night after the latest incident my Daughter was off in the corner of her bed scared to death as the Police cars came screaming up. I will not put my Family through this. As you all know I dearly love what I do but not at the expense of never ending Terrorism. I want to thank those of you who have shown so much support and it has been my joy, short as it has been to have cracked that Mic open for a last time. This was a Family decision. The girls stuck with me and still would but if one of them were harmed because of what I love doing my life would be over.
Art

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

Oh for gently caress's sake.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

loving lol

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Quitting his show is peak Art Bell.

:rip:

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

It was inevitable given the fragile, violent state of the modern conspiracy theorist demographic, that someone would take offense and gently caress with Art either online or irl.

Ed: at least nobody bought a satellite radio just for this :v:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Dec 12, 2015

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Fuckin art bell, of course it would end this way.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
:negative:

How does this prevent him from being shot at though? Dude can still show up, just because you're off the air doesn't mean he'll stop.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Light Gun Man posted:

:negative:

How does this prevent him from being shot at though? Dude can still show up, just because you're off the air doesn't mean he'll stop.

It's true but the two things you can count on Art for the most are knee jerk reactions and not telling the whole story.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

gently caress this. Show is better than it ever was.

Noory hired a hitman.

edit--> New subscriptions are being blocked. I guess this is it. It was fun while it lasted.

Boinks fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 12, 2015

phuzzylodgik
Oct 20, 2005

Fuck this filter shit.

the yeti posted:

Ed: at least nobody bought a satellite radio just for this :v:

Totally bought a shortwave radio so I could listen to him like in the old days.

Goddamnit.

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

"Redacted" aka Art's producer is hosting the show tonight.

vez veces
Dec 15, 2006

Boinks posted:

"Redacted" aka Art's producer is hosting the show tonight.

If we can learn to love Heather and keep the show on the air, we might get some Art Bell guest hosting. I'm so bummed.

Art Bell just now on Facebook posted:

Midnight in the Desert
So, I made my decision after my Wife told me about my Daughter today. She was really scared.
Everybody who wants refunds will get them.
Heather will do a show Tonight with I think a Time Traveler.
Perhaps I will come and do a random show when Heather needs a break if you give her a chance. I just can not keep a routine that puts my Family in danger.
Art

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

pussypassed bitchmade fuckboi of all time. gently caress art

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The thing is, it could just be some drunken local who Art managed to piss off while he was shopping for groceries. It may not be the radio show's fault at all. Perhaps Redacted or some of the fans might be able to talk Art out of quitting. :(

Was reading comments over on the Bellgab forums. Some people suggested just waiting a while. Art may change his mind. Perhaps he will take a little vacation over the holidays and return in January and do the annual predictions show.

V V V Yeah, yeah. We all know that Art is a big ol' drama queen. Many gifted people do tend to be divas, but their fans pu up with it as they are still able to entertain us with their talents.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Dec 12, 2015

kindermord
Jun 5, 2003
ducks is chickens with swimmy toes
lol what a drama queen fruitcake. The funniest thing is that he'll probably pop back up and disappear again a time or two more before we've heard the last of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

Just canceled my time traveler sub

• Locked thread