Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I only heard of Coast to Coast a few years ago, but for some reason, it made me extremely nostalgic for the late nineties. My friends and I would sometimes get in my friend's dad's tent trailer, play cards, and play AM radio on an old boom box. We didn't listen to Coast to Coast, but if we had known of it, I think we would have.

Here's a link to all the Art Bell Ghost to Ghost eps, by the way:

http://www.reallyweirdstuff.com/halloween-ghosttoghostradioshows.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I haven't listened to much C2C as most of you seem to have, but Noory is just as bland as you say. He just believes in everything and agrees with everyone and then there are five minutes of silver investment commercials and boner pills. You could replace him with one of those glass drinky bird things.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Maybe he'll go into podcasting. Sponsored by Audible, CCrane, and Ham Radio Outlet.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

It's like my dad is trying to figure out the internet (and it's 2003).

What in the hell does he think the other 10,000 podcasters are doing? Can't his show survive on royalty-free music or the cheapest theremin virtuoso money can buy?

I'm in the Bay Area of CA, is there anything on nighttime AM worth listening to? I've really, really tried to listen to CtC, but George don't make it easy. And getting shortwave reception is really frustrating.

I'm guessing I'm best off streaming old Art Bell stuff.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 12, 2015

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Spoilers for Maron, season 2. It's probably my favorite episode.

There's this episode of Maron where he discovers this amazing DJ on an AM station. He visits the station, and it's this massively talented old guy who has been broadcasting forever, but he's not had great success in some time, has had to move around to different jobs for very little pay. He and Marc meet up with some other old talents and they all bemoan their fate. Marc offers to show his new friend how to do podcasting for nothing, how it's easier, cheaper, and more personal than broadcasting, and he does it from his garage, no need to rely on fickle radio stations. Guy says no, he's just a broadcast guy, it's what he knows and what he loves. Podcasting is too different, too new. He really just wants to work on the radio.

Implicitly, it was the format, the flow, the whole nature of broadcasting. For old Art, it might be as big as the difference between using a ham radio and a cellphone: it's more than just talking to people, and more than just being an old guy who distrusts computers.

Doesn't mean it isn't a really kind of dumb inflexibility (bumpers a 'brick wall?'), but it kinda makes sense to me that way.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Someone would mention FLAC versus MP3 fidelity for podcasting and that would be the end of that.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Someone's gonna rip the stream and put it on YouTube, we won't make it to episode two. And if he's putting it on his own YouTube channel, he'll be mad it's being torrented or on Vimeo or being ripped to someone else's YouTube channel.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My guess at this point is that he just doesn't want to do it, but he either feels like he should, or is bored and listless or feels time hanging over him, and it's just not enough to push him over the edge. If anyone, anyone wanted to broadcast anything at this point, no matter how young or old, they could use anything from tin cans on strings, to microcassette recorders, to 8 year old cellphones, to HAM radios recorded on 8-track, to old laptops, to a baseline 2007 Dell, to an iPad, to a wireless security camera, to a full-on studio to record something, and share it, if they wanted to. If they wanted to.

Or, as I thought earlier, he's such a radio guy that he can only think in terms of 40+ year old ideas of broadcasting, and it's either that, or nothing.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Aubergine Mage posted:

Greg Proops' podcast is basically him doing 90 minutes of improv to a live audience every week, but I've never found anything C2Cesque that's got a live audience aspect like that

Yeah, but he can handle a fuckin' crowd, and with four ounces of vodka (minimum) going through is veins. Wish he could guest host C2C a couple nights.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Art's Facebook Account posted:

MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT

Confirmed, besides being available on TuneIn the show will also be on WTWW Shortwave on 5.085 Nationwide and beyond. Should be real fun! Brought to you by my good friends at the best radio company in the World, the C Crane Family.

Art

I'll leave it to the thread to comment on C Crane, but as a less-than-active HAM who nonetheless understands the mania for radio, I think it's probably pretty gratifying to Art that he's going over shortwave. Hell, if I wasn't too lazy to string speaker wire over half the apartment that's probably how I'd tune in as well.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

He does this more than a month I'm in at the $5 subscription level.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

This Australian guy sounds like he's in the studio. Art Bell pounced on him about his headset: hey callers, use a headset and Skype.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

LMAO at that HAM radio commercial. I'm a HAM.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I'll still donate after it's been on a month, but if a better quality copy archive is somewhere else on the internets, that's where I'll be getting my poo poo. Still donating.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Bitchkrieg posted:

Coast fans, never change :allears:

What else you gonna do with nothing?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Prickly Pete posted:

If I had the option I'd listen on shortwave every time as well, hands down. Hard to explain if you arent into radio I guess.

I'm studying for my general license so I can finally try to hear him hamming during the day.

Same. There's nothing like radio. If I could tune it in on a shortwave, I would, but I live in an apartment complex north of Silicon Valley and there's interference just everywhere.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

He really is the perfect guest. Just bafflingly hilarious.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there an IRC channel anywhere where people idle while listening to MitD?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

bloodysabbath posted:

Last night's show was a wet fart. "21st Century Malachi Martin" my rear end.

I made it about 1/2 hour in, dude shoulda led with the exorcisms or whatever.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

My interpretation is that he's saying no to more commercial breaks to several big stations, who maybe are thinking of airing in competition or instead of C2C? From what I can tell, he has fewer ads than C2C, or maybe his show is just that much more listenable. So naturally, current and interested stations both are probably dangling bucks in his face and asking for more commercial breaks.

ARTICHAGA

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

What if the earth were destroyed, and we're in a box on Planet X? And Art was the only one left behind until a copy of his consciousness was placed in the box with us. And now he roams the wastes that once were the kingdom of nye

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

How about just Hoagland do the news, let him ramble on about something, then just cut him off as the show resumes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Curly Shuffle posted:

Kevin Mitnick: Do you know about Tor, George?
Art Bell: Don't cuss at me! I'm Art, and I know what Tor is.

Oh drat, I missed this one and I'm not a subscriber.

• Locked thread