Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

Maybe he'll go into podcasting. Sponsored by Audible, CCrane, and Ham Radio Outlet.

Would that really work for the format he wants? He wants a big caller pool that you can only get with FM, and a podcast really wouldn't work for that. Granted, Art did seem to grasp why satellite radio doesn't work out for a talk show format.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

M3wThr33 posted:

Saturday will be 8 months since Bell took the ball and went home.

Meanwhile, SiriusXM still has C2C in that timeslot and Art Bell's floundering Dark Matter network is still a joke.

M3wThr33 posted:

Tomorrow is the 1-year anniversary of the debut of Art Bell's Dark Matter...

I'm quite bummed as I was getting into the madness when Art decided to pull the plug. Such a shame. But oh well...

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Why not just get an AM show going and call it a day? The paid model isn't going to work for what he wants to do (or claim he wants to do). Just get back onto radio anybody can hear and roll with it.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

gret posted:

We really should have a betting pool about how long we expect Art to last this time.

Definitely less than before. He won't last longer than the month or so Dark Matter existed, possibly because he's doing this for the Web and will lose interest quite quickly.

We should also have an over/under on when he'll take his first 'MY BACK!' day as well.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

With all this poo poo and trouble, Art would be better off just swallowing his pride and going back to Infinity. Or just building his own drat radio station.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Boinks posted:

Does this mean I can get excited about the new show?

I'd be careful:

The Article posted:

While he planned on having it available only online, to date 20 terrestrial radio stations have already signed on to carry the show. The catch? They have to agree to carry only six minutes of commercials an hour. "Why is that a requirement?" I asked. "Because I want content and more content!" he bellowed happily in that unmistakable voice.

I'm a little weary of the 'solution' they found for the music licensing issue and Bell's track record isn't the best. I hope the best, but.....

Oh, and here's the radio stations he spoke of. Nothing in Michigan, which is kind of a bummer. I thought WAAM or WJR would be willing to free up some late night airtime.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Curly Shuffle posted:

I'm digging the debates Art is setting up. Moon landing debate last night, flat earth tonight. :allears:

The Flat Earth guy is hilariously idiotic. He states his belief as fact, no evidence, and is goading the scientist/teacher guy with ad hominem attacks and outright laughter when he can't prove his stuff. It's amazing.

This is awesome. I might sign up for this simply to see more madness.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

doctorfrog posted:

He really is the perfect guest. Just bafflingly hilarious.

I love his proof is "I thought about it A LOT." Hell, Art isn't even taking this seriously. Laughing going to break at 1:30am.

EDIT: Oh my God, the ads for this are awesome. Did anybody hear the one for that guy's book that was supposed by Alex Jones? You can order it when he gets off of work at 9:30pm! Oh, this is GOLD.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Aug 6, 2015

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Bitchkrieg posted:

Seth Shostak from SETI is consistently one of my favorite guests, both for his wit -- and for putting Art in his place when he meanders down a conspiratorial path.

Art: "But what about aliens?"
Seth: "loving :lol: "
(Dead air)

Art playing that clip from Steven Greer at the start was some excellent poo poo-stirring.

That was fantastic and informative. "But Seth, what if we get a message that they're invading?"

"Well, Art, it would have to be a short message, and will probably be millions of years old due to the time it takes for a message to travel. Also, if they're more advanced than us, there's a good chance we may not even pick up what they're saying due to our own lack of technological advancement."

Seth is epic.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Riptor posted:

the only issue i have is that that goddamned seth shostak episode has auto-downloaded like 9 times for some reason

Probably because it was so epic.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

bloodysabbath posted:

Exactly this. The complainants DO realize they only have the audience/slots they have in the first place because Art's legal issues required a set of benchwarmers for 730 days, right?

I don't get what they're on. If they're really eager for more 'airtime,' they could put their podcasts onto the web. That said, I do want to see more of Nightwatch, as the episode I heard had the guy interviewing B-Movie legend Graydon Clark.

Edit: Ha, here's the archives! http://www.zombiebloodbath.com/nightwatch/nw-archives.html

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

I'm kinda glad I didn't buy a subscription now.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

head58 posted:

I don't think he's quitting. He keeps mentioning something big and moving the show to the next level.

Maybe he got enough radio stations to sign on under his demands?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Curly Shuffle posted:

Caller: I hope you've got a hand cannon and it's pointed at the door.
Art: Oh, I do. I've got a round chambered.

We're going to hear him shoot himself in the foot one day.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Inveigle posted:

Or accidentally shoot a family member. :(

Art, you need some yard sensors with lights and alarms! Does Crane sell those?

They don't, but I imagine someone in Art's circle can recommend something.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

RetroHelix posted:

Update from Art on Facebook:

"Ok, the Police just left for the second time and the Girls are asleep so here is what I can tell you, about 10:33 PT I got a text from my close Neighbor saying he had heard 4 or five fast shots that seemed near my Studio, he thought they were from the street behind the house but did not see anything, then a moment later another Neighbor Lady texted me that she heard the shots and saw a car in the dead end lane in front of my Studio fire 4 or 5 rifle shots at or near the house and take off in a mid size car. We will check for bullet holes in the daylight. The girls turned off all lights and hugged the floor. We are all ok but a bit freaked out. We have video camera's but not recorded, that will change. Sorry for the scare but it was worse on this end.

Art"

https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716/posts/891981834183270

I wouldn't worry, Art. It's clearly someone who is channeling their anger at anybody in their path.

Edit: oddly enough, this prompted me to look for some quality desktop speakers, given how Art is always on about quality audio.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 22, 2015

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Prickly Pete posted:

If you want to listen to the creepiest sounding way possible, shortwave is the way to go.

If you don't have your own shortwave receiver, you can tune in via a web-controlled receiver here or here
You should be able to tune into the show at 5,085 khz, and depending on reception you can use the AM or AM-nrw band filter.

You'll get all of the weird fading in and out atmospheric interference and background noise you could ever want. Absolutely essential for the Halloween show.

It's also fun to just mess around with those radios and see what other weird stuff you can find.

Oh cool, thanks! I'm going to listen to this tonight and see how it goes.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

why do people hate art so much? he's a national treasure

Joking aside, Art seems pretty benign.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

If Art catches the guy, that guy is going down Mel's hole.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Paul Kersey posted:

Some people on Facebook and Reddit are saying they could find no mention of any of the incidents Art described anywhere in local newspapers, police reports or blotters.

Is Art bullshitting? Either way, it's the last time I'm going to give him my money.

That's what I was thinking: collect money, do a show, quit, rinse and repeat.

Either that or he's probably gone insane. Either way, I knew that with 29 replies in this thread that he had quit again. It's a shame, but I don't think this is on the level at all.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Inveigle posted:

Kind of surprised he posted a photo of his kid. I wonder if he thinks only family members can see his FB now?

Photoshop Phriday: what's making Art stop his show now?

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

RetroHelix posted:

Art is so bad at holding to his commitments that he quit quitting Facebook.

Or he's addicted so much to quitting that he can't quit quitting.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Iucounu posted:

Aaaand the beginning of the next cocktease season begins.

P.S. OH MY GOD A BULLET JUST WENT THROUGH MY WALL AND MY WIFE AND CHILD ARE CRYING I QUIT TWITTER AND EVERYTHING!!

P.P.S. Oh wait that was a ladybug. Still, keep subscribed to my Twitter as my other assistant Otto is taking it over and he's a true believer in the paranormal.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

gret posted:

Goddamn it Art stop being such a tease!

That's Art code for 'found the guy, don't know where to bury him yet, and then cover it all up.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

livingfruitvirus posted:

He got Airyn pregnant again?! Jesus, Art! You're 71!

He can't broadcast, but damned if he can't keep making babies on a regular basis.

Go wild, Art! You may be retired for the seventh or so time, but go wild!

• Locked thread