Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

George Noory's pizzaroll story is the stuff of radio legend. This animated version is glorious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1914eEHOZPw

You're welcome.

Art Bell claims that he'll be back and broadcasting once the two year non-compete is up; sometime in 2015. I seriously doubt it. He's disappeared entirely from Bell Gab, one of the devoted C2C forums, after a few months of being regularly involved and posting. Sirius is supposedly miserable to deal with, but it's hard to chalk up his quitting as anything other than deciding the show's too much work/not living up to his expectations/etc, and leaving.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

The cruelest April Fools Joke.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Inveigle posted:

Any predictions about Art Bell? :D

He'll return in July, demonstrate he has no idea how limited his internet audience will be, and then quit. Again.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Not directly related, but I wanted to share a thread I just made on The Stone. This game and 90s Coast to Coast always remind me of one another, because of a shared Millennial paranormal/new age/etc type theme. I can see where C2C fans would also get a kick out of The Stone game.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

gret posted:

I just hope enough crazies manage to find the show to listen and call in. I'm afraid it'll just be a few hundred hardcore fans that manage to find it.

That was a major issue on DM, and discussed exhaustively on BellGab: the caller/listener pool was so shallow, Art was getting the same few people calling in every night.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I give it three weeks before he flounces out in a fit of entitlement.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

gret posted:

We really should have a betting pool about how long we expect Art to last this time.

The show will go three weeks. Back problem recurrence in week two.

Relying on fans and fan promotion to make this a financially viable project (he said he expects a ROI after six months :allears: ) leaves an escape hatch wide open. This is going to be a mess.

Also Keith's webmaster skills are a construction.gif away from 1997 Geocities so expecting him to manage internet broadcasting with a large audience seems awfully optimistic.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Apr 15, 2015

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I, for one, am shocked.

I -- in misplaced optimism -- thought we'd at least wrench a few shows from his decrepit husk before he flounced out in a fit of entitled self-righteousness.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

:allears:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

shoplifter posted:

He owned the radio station in Pahrump, and sold it about 7 years ago. It plays C2C now.

KNYE, broadcasting out of Pahrump, NV. He sold it sometime after Ramona died and he relocated to the Philippines.

E: also the provenance of "...from the kingdom of Nye" voice over.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 29, 2015

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Riptor posted:

Well they're both because of Nye County, Nevada

That too!

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I've been talking about this for weeks to my roommate and boyfriend.

The test show went as well as could be expected, Redacted was irritating as all hell. Hearing 'The Chase' as the lead bumper music was the best thing ever and brought back a lot of memories. Signed up for Time Traveler so I can listen at work every day.

I'm curious to see how tonight goes. Graham Hancock is absolutely insane, and it's classy of Art to bring him on as the first night's guest (he was supposed to be the guest on Dark Matter when Art quit). Was going to bring some beer out to my backyard firepit and drink and listen to the show tonight on shortwave.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

I was underwhelmed at the prospect of Graham Hancock, but then the show unexpectedly turned into a lengthy discussion about psychedelics.

I wish the MITD site would give the schedule of future guests. The C2C/MITD rumor mill attributes this dearth of information to Noory/Premier "poaching" Art's guests.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Coast fans, never change :allears:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Seth Shostak from SETI is consistently one of my favorite guests, both for his wit -- and for putting Art in his place when he meanders down a conspiratorial path.

Art: "But what about aliens?"
Seth: "loving :lol: "
(Dead air)

Art playing that clip from Steven Greer at the start was some excellent poo poo-stirring.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Riptor posted:

the only issue i have is that that goddamned seth shostak episode has auto-downloaded like 9 times for some reason

That's not an issue.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

bloodysabbath posted:

Last night's show was a wet fart. "21st Century Malachi Martin" my rear end.

His entire Twitter account is basically about how much he loves Ted Cruz, which says all you really need to know.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

A family friend, Laird Scranton, was scheduled to be the guest on September 1, but Art canceled on him at the last minute. No idea why. There's even a sad guest page cached for him on the MITD site. I hope he'll be rescheduled -- dude is a perfect fit for the show.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Curly Shuffle posted:

We've got a classic Art Bell guest tonight:

:siren: Madman Marcum :siren:

http://artbell.com/fri-sep-4-mike-madman-marcum/

Don't meet your idols. His Facebook is all about how much he hates Obama and his lamentations about CandyCrush.

I remember in his early interviews him talking -- in that goony, sonorous, nasal voice -- about how his girlfriend dumped him because of his time travel aspirations. :allears:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Is it playing a repeat for anyone else? I thought tonight was Tess Gerritsen but it's that missing persons guy. Nothing on Facebook indicated a rerun.

Edit:

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Sep 24, 2015

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Boinks posted:

RIP Dark Matter news segments. Something about facebook drama and Leo being sniped by C2C. I am actually happy because that guy was too lazy to look up pronunciations and it was driving me crazy.

Ugh good riddance.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Internet slapfight is in full swing between Art and Leo; Art posted a cancelled check made out to Leo, in opposition to Leo's claim that he was never paid. Art deleted the post (but I screenshotted it :smug:). Leo claims he's starting his own three hour show to directly compete with MITD.

So much Art drama :allears:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Curly Shuffle posted:

Kevin Mitnick: Do you know about Tor, George?
Art Bell: Don't cuss at me! I'm Art, and I know what Tor is.

Mitnick is an insufferable neckbeard but this is beautiful.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

gfanikf posted:

I assume Mitnick is like peak sperg too?

I read his book, Ghost in the Wires, about his pre-penitentiary adventures. A lot of it was fascinating, but he also punctuates recollections with "...and then I had intercourse with a female :smuggo:" type remarks. A lot of his high-school-need-shoved-into-lockers victim fantasies shine through.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Riptor posted:

also didn't dickie hoagland have his website designed to look like the star trek interface

Late-90s Art Bell website looked like this.

Bitchkrieg fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Nov 20, 2015

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Oh Lordy.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Last night's guest, R. Scott Lemeriel, sounds like he's gone high in the ranks of Scientology - a lot of his story sounds just like whole Xenu story - and is then adding his Star Trek personal embellishment.

Also holy poo poo about Art finding someone lurking around his property after receiving death threats.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Empire State posted:

If he cancels his guest to talk politics again I'm gonna need a little break from the show.

When I listen to old shows (mid 90s), it's a little easier to let his crummy politics slide by, relegated to history. But now when he starts on guns or ISIS or censorship or whatever else, I can barely listen. Libertarian ideology is the vacant philosophy of white dudes that want guns and weed and an excuse to champion selfishness as a person ambition. His politics haven't discernibly evolved in 20+ years.

Of course, too, Art thinks Anonymous is the coolest thing ever.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

More drama for Art tonight.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Quitting his show is peak Art Bell.

:rip:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Heather Wade, his producer, took over for tonight - indefinitely? - which couldn't be easy to do.

Art then called in, and spent time interviewing the guest on-air and even offered to go to the studio. What. :shepface:

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

The plot thickens.

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

GBS Coast to Coast AM prediction thread is live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Art with the hot take :rolleyes:

• Locked thread