Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Subscribed. I hope this one lasts. I need my late night insanity and ive burned through most of my favorite old episodes.

This will give me incentive to finally get a legitimate shortwave setup as well I hope.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Thank god richard Hoagland will be back on the show as a science advisor.

:negative:

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

This is great. :buddy:

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

These commercials are nuts

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Inveigle posted:

LOL! A kickstarter commercial! The show seems to have quite a few commercials, which is good. :)

a dyatlov pass kickstarter no less. Awesome.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

I think she is from the bellgab forum and I hope this is brief.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Curly Shuffle posted:

If you have a shortwave receiver, I'm picking Art up on 5,085 khz right now.

Is the reception on shortwave cutting out at all? the tunein stream is getting choppy here and there. I'm wondering if that is going to be an issue on over-the-air broadcasts.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

If I had the option I'd listen on shortwave every time as well, hands down. Hard to explain if you arent into radio I guess.

I'm studying for my general license so I can finally try to hear him hamming during the day.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

The periscope was great. Did he mention doing it as a regular thing?

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

Holy poo poo this Preston guy is a complete idiot. Obnoxious voice, self-congratulating, without the tasty moments of true insanity to make up for it.

I was just coming to make almost the exact same post. This guy is one of the most obnoxious guests I've heard in a while.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Riptor posted:

Art laughing at blue balls guy on Friday ruled so hard

That was one of my favorite art moments ever.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

This show is absolute gold. People complaining about it on arts Facebook are completely missing the point of how insane his show is supposed to be. It is perfect.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

bloodysabbath posted:

Holy poo poo what a great show tonight.

Were the calls good? I had to bail before that happened

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

I missed most of his appearance on the show but I heard it was especially nutty. What did he say?

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

gret posted:

IIRC we used to use #c2c on irc.synirc.net

Doesn't seem to be anyone in there. It'd be cool to have a channel if there is any interest. I made the mistake of joining a facebook group for Art's new show, and dear god the crushing stupidity

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Dr. Benway posted:

Got home really late last night and fired up the Dark Matter stream anyway. The amount of podcasters actually complaining the Art is back was surprising and pathetically hilarious.

You mean people who have other shows on the Dark Matter stream? I haven't listened to any of them. Who was complaining?

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

edit: Nevermind, it seems to be working now

People Stew fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Aug 21, 2015

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Art is on Periscope right now :buddy:

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

That drat Satyr posted:

Oh dear. I think at this point Art has enough listeners on the Time Travel plan to carry him for a while, but I hope pulling the show from terrestrial radio doesn't start some kind of downward tailspin like before. :|

Is he actually pulling the show from terrestrial radio, or just saying no to further stations?

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

This is so good already.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

kindermord posted:

Maybe it's just my imagination but it sounds like the guy who had the bridge-burning parting of ways with Art is back doing the weird news segment.

I think tonight's show is a rerun since he was having technical issues with the feed.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Antifreeze Head posted:

I find the good audio quality jarring, so I listen on the tiny mono speaker on my smartphone.

That doesn't even go far enough for a co-worker, he downloads podcasts then runs them through a filter in Audition to make it sound like AM radio.

Art Bell is best experienced low-fi, it really adds something to the whole experience to have the show crackling though a crappy speaker.

If you want to listen to the creepiest sounding way possible, shortwave is the way to go.

If you don't have your own shortwave receiver, you can tune in via a web-controlled receiver here or here
You should be able to tune into the show at 5,085 khz, and depending on reception you can use the AM or AM-nrw band filter.

You'll get all of the weird fading in and out atmospheric interference and background noise you could ever want. Absolutely essential for the Halloween show.

It's also fun to just mess around with those radios and see what other weird stuff you can find.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Oh cool, thanks! I'm going to listen to this tonight and see how it goes.

I listened to him on shortwave a few weeks ago and it was great. And then I stayed up for another hour or two randomly tuning around and listening to crazy religious broadcasts from who knows where. Shortwave is awesome.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Paul Kersey posted:

That guy Gregory Paxson from a couple of weeks ago was a great guest. Hope he comes back to Art's show soon.

I missed that one, I'll have to listen today while I'm at work.
I liked the guy who talked about nuclear winter and how we are all going to die from even the smallest nuke exchanges.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Inveigle posted:

Hoagland is pretty laid back and has some interesting guests (he's like Art Lite). I phoned him last week and went directly on the air. I thought for sure his assistant would screen my call, but nope!

Hoagland also has a $5 monthly subscription fee for people who want to listen to older episodes.

Hoagland was (and is) one of my least favorite guests to ever appear on Art's show. He was absolutely insufferable every time I heard him, talking over callers and getting all worked up when he was challenged on his insane ideas. Oddly enough, his show is not terrible from what I have heard. I may have gotten lucky and heard the right one but if I was up late at night I'd probably keep it playing in the background.

My goal at this point is to make a Ham radio contact with Art and then I will move on to another obsession. Tonight's guest looks a little new age for my tastes.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

phuzzylodgik posted:

Totally bought a shortwave radio so I could listen to him like in the old days.

Goddamnit.

There is plenty of other insanity to search for on that radio. Have fun with it.

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

I'm surprised it took him this long to admit to owning a drone. He's the target audience. He could have justified it years ago as an excuse to check his ham radio towers without having to climb. I figured he'd had one for years.

It's good to hear him as always. The trump thing has been a big disappointment, but I guess anyone who has ever looked to Art for political opinion was bound to be let down by now. He's at his best coaxing crazy people into saying crazy things, and now he's saying them himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

People Stew
Dec 5, 2003

Pretty sure he was a Ron Paul guy at some point in the 2000's as well. I think I've heard him talk highly of libertarian party ideals, which makes sense with his distrust of the government and overall crotchety demeanor out in the desert in his compound.

• Locked thread