Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Street Soldier posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXTJyX31zuw

I love all the David Paulides interviews, are there any other guests that do the same thing with all the really hosed up true stories?

Thanks for the link! I fell asleep the last time Paulides was a guest on C2C. The Youtube edit takes out the commericals.

I really enjoy listening to Paulides talk about his "Missing 411" research into missing people. The stories he tells (and some of the callers' tales) are truly eerie stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Any predictions about Art Bell? :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

WARNING: the first page of this thread has the pic of the woman in the bathtub spurting liquid poo poo all over herself.

So, thanks for a lovely New Year's thread. You're much worse than Noory.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Social Animal posted:

I really want to hear this now. I definitely don't think it was C2C though.

You might post a query on the bellgab.com forums. Some one over there might know. The follow a lot of the newer shows that artbell.com supports.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Literally The Worst posted:

Today I realized that at some point while switching hard drives and poo poo I lost my favorite episode of C2C ever: An open lines show for Antichrists and time travelers. It was the most batshit insane thing you've ever heard. Art actually made fun of a guy for being completely nuts. It was the best. I have much sadness.

You might post a query on the bellgab.com forums. There's people there who collect the old episodes.

Also, look on Youtube. Lots of older episodes there too.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Just in case Art later deletes it. (He's done it before.) And yes, the post had that crappy formatting.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Perhaps Art has had time to educate himself about how streaming and the internet work. Or has found someone who can handle things for him.

It should be fun while it lasts. Would be nice if it lasts through Halloween at least. :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Seems to me that some of his loyal fans would happily compose and play new music, just for Art! UFO Phil's "Listening to Coast to Coast" song is great.

I think that Art wants to do a show, but then gets scared because he can't have it all the same way he's always done it. Art needs to think more outside the box, but he also needs someone to hold his hand and coax him along. :(

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Art keeps the drama going!

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

This was posted on artbell.com: http://artbell.com/numbers-playing-commercial-music-internet-streaming/

And then these posts appeared on Bell's Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716?fref=nf):

EDIT: I didn't screencap the full text from the first FB post below. Here's the full text of Art's statement:

Art Bell -- February 12 at 2:18pm · Pahrump, NV ·
"We could do a subscriber only show for $4.99 as well but that is not what I promised. I promised a free stream.

Keith is right I guess, I am emotional and this crap really came out of left field. As I have written in other posts I am very attached to that music that I collected with love over many Years and it is part of the energy of the show for me as well as many who became fans over the long history of the show.

Yes, I could go back to commercial radio but my dream is and always was good content without endless commercials, so no thanks.

The reason it came out of left field is because we were concerned with what we thought was the big stuff, my health, getting a live stream, setting up a studio but playing a few parts of music every hour? That was just not first on the list, nor should it have been in a logical World. People have said I am looking at all this like a Talk Show Host, it's the only way I know how to look at it!"

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Feb 14, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Yeah, just go read Art's Wikipedia page, especially the section under "Feud with George Noory and David Oates."

One of the reasons that Art really hates ClearChannel is because he feels that they didn't help defend him against those odd pedo accusations mentioned on Oates' radio program.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

U7 Radio, a site that streams old episodes of C2C, is shut down by Premiere Radio. Just days earlier, U7 had announced a new app for android.

Art Bell posted about matter on Bellgab.com:

Sigh, if this is because of what is coming in July I am sorry. They never fail to react in some fear based way. I am sure this will be followed by Dave coming to say it’s out of his hands. By now those programs are so old that I don’t see the point, frankly I don’t see the point of airing one every Saturday night either. Dave should own what he does after all these Years without having to use anything I did, either music, form of announcer, old shows or anything else. I think it is one of the things that haunts him by always being in the shadow of what was. I did tell him when he started that he should make the show his own by putting his stamp on it, change everything up and own it.

-- Art

NOTE: "Dave," for those not aware, is a reference to George Noory. When Bell was coming back to the air on Sirirus, one insider in a radio station got quoted on Bellgab.com, referring to George Noory as "Dave Noory."

Entire story here:

http://nightterrornews.com/2015/03/02/the-empire-strikes-back-premiere-takes-down-u7-radio/

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Mar 3, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Great theory! :D

Perhaps "Dave" really is Noory's actual name and that radio insider slipped up and used the name by accident.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

From Art's Facebook, https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716?fref=nf:

March 6:

Midnight in the Desert

That will be the name of my new show! Hi everybody here is a update for you. It is looking like the deal will close and the show will start to air in late July but we still have not signed on the dotted line.

The show will be truly International. I will not be using regular media to promo it, instead I will be asking all of you to plaster info about it everywhere, we will demonstrate the power of Social Media, but not yet, it is still to early. I truly will be depending on my Friends. This is truly going to be fun.

Art

And a few hours later, on March 6:

UPDATE
I just spoke to Crystal Gayle and was lucky to be the first to tell her that Midnight in the Desert is the name of the new show, she was thrilled and asked if she could say a word on the first show. This really is going to be FUN . Crystal explains this song was written for a late night radio talk show host named Art Bell. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8vXCk65N10

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

It may not last long, but it should be entertaining. :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

doctorfrog posted:

Someone's gonna rip the stream and put it on YouTube, we won't make it to episode two. And if he's putting it on his own YouTube channel, he'll be mad it's being torrented or on Vimeo or being ripped to someone else's YouTube channel.

Some of Bell's advisors needs to school him on the ways of the 'net and get Art to understand that he needs to "make his money" during the original broadcast of each show, either through paid subscriptions, paid advertising, or Art hawking his merchandise.

If Art gets an official Youtube channel, he might better be able to control his content (at least on Youtube where "bootleg" copies of his new show could be removed). If Art was actually on Youtube proper, seems to me that people wouldn't bother to torrent his new shows as you can easily use one of the online mp3 grabbers to easily download an entire broadcast to keep. Having official podcasts would be nice as people WILL often purchase those to support something they enjoy (like people making Paypal donation to the Rifftrax guys). But of course, there's lazy butts who want to be able to grab and save an entire month's worth of broadcasts in one torrent. However on the plus side, the pirated stuff often does create new fans.

Content theft is one of the biggest problems online now -- people snatching others' original content (be it photos, art, writing, music, podcasts) to make a fast buck.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 16, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

How does Art manage to keep getting involved with these people? Everyone should understand by now that Art is a demanding diva, but many feel his talents make Art worth putting up with. Seems like the guy who quit just wasn't a seasoned professional. Are these people working for free or something?

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Seems like Art needed to have hired 2 or 3 people, rather than just one guy. And yeah, a big part of the problem is Art still wanting everything to be like it was when terrestrial radio was still popular. Those days are gone forever and you have to adapt or just walk away.

Art could record interviews with guests that could then be added to someone else's web radio broadcast or packaged as a weekly podcast, but Art still seems to want to interact with a live audience.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Better put on your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy ride. :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

shoplifter posted:

He HAD one

Oh? Story time? :allears:

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Art got some ink yesterday in USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/columnist/strauss/2015/06/15/steve-strauss-art-bell-small-business/28459885/

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Art Bell posted this announcement to his Facebook on July 4.

https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716/posts/845209635527157

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

head58 posted:

Let me make sure I understand: if I can't listen to the show live and want to be able to download it afterward to listen on my phone I have to subscribe, right? It won't be available like a free podcast.

If you do the math, for the $5 a month subscription fee, each episode will only be costing you .25 cents per show. Plus you'll have access to the archive of past shows (but I am curious which shows will be available). That's a pretty good deal for $5 a month.

I am going to subscribe just to encourage Art because I also miss good, late night entertainment.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Reddit AMA with ART BELL

TUESDAY, JULY 14 @ 6:30 p.m. Eastern

EDIT: Link to AMA interview: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3db2cm/hi_im_art_bell_host_of_midnight_in_the_desert/

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 15, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Since we just started a new page, here's the link to Art Bell's 7/14/15 AMA interview:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/3db2cm/hi_im_art_bell_host_of_midnight_in_the_desert/

- - - - -

Also, right as Art was posting to his Facebook to announce his AMA was about to start, he got locked out of his FB (someone accused him of not being himself). There are no coincidences! http://artbell.com/coincidence-art-bells-facebook-page-locked-out/

UPDATE: Art's FB page has been restored, after Art submitted photos of his passport and driver’s license.

- - - - -

Additionally: there will be a test run of Art's new show THIS SUNDAY, JULY 19.

More info will be posted by Art on his FB. https://www.facebook.com/art.bell.716?_rdr=p

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jul 20, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Bellgab.com interviews Art Bell. Posted on July 18, 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MdSzV1X1Aj4

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Art Bell's new show MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT begins on Monday, July 20. Art says that Sunday night (July 19) is a "test run, so I am not sure if the show will be all week, or just on Monday. http://artbell.com

MIDNIGHT IN THE DESERT will run Monday - Friday

12:00 a.m. - 3:00 a.m. Eastern Time

11:00 p.m. - 2 a.m. Central Time

9:00 p.m. - 12 a.m. Pacific Time

Information about listening/subscribing/donating:

http://darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/shows/midnight-in-the-desert/

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 20, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Wow! Art =is= on! This is great! :D

Thanks for posting about it. I guess Sunday night really WAS the test run!

EDIT: Art is taking unscreened calls on phone and Skype phone!

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jul 20, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

We can just so the traditional live post here for now. The posts will attract people to this thread. I'm kind of surprised there's not more interest in Art's new show.

"From the high desert and the great American Southwest. I'm Art Bell."

He sounds just the same as always. :dance:

To call in, the U.S. number is 1-952-225-5278, ( 1-952-CALL ART ).

I momentarily lost the stream and just refreshed the browser. ART IS TAKING THE FIRST CALL NOW!!! :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Art is really pleased with the audio quality of phone calls so far. The second call was on Skype from Australia.

I'm really glad that Art and his people have persevered and the technological problems seen to have been sorted out.

Ooops. Spoke too soon! The second caller is having a little trouble -- Art and the caller are both coming in clear, but now they can't hear each other! Don't panic, Art! :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

LOL! A kickstarter commercial! I wonder what a commercial costs? I like the variety! :)

The show seems to have quite a few commercials, which is good.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The fourth caller is from Wales. This new show is going to be great. We will get to hear crazies from ALL OVER THE WORLD! :D

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I lost the stream again, but just refreshed and it's back. Not sure if it's my DSL connection or something else.

Art's show will be on again on Monday and will also be broadcast to the radio stations who have signed up to broadcast the show.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

The Redacted woman did an interview with Art a few days ago. See one of my earlier posts above with a link to the interview.

Oh poo poo!....after Art lost the Redacted woman's Skype call, then the audio on the stream went out. Brief pause and now music.

LOL. Art is back and they are discussing what happened. CONSPIRACY! :D

Art's audio is going out again! What could be causing this??? Art is going to take phone calls now. Some guy mentioned that there seems to be a buffering problem. Some guy came on and was discussing the technical problems with Art. This is one reason they had the test run tonight.

In the U.S. and Canada, the number is 1-952-225-5278 ( 1-952-CALL ART ).

Edit: I phoned and got a busy signal.

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Jul 20, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Prickly Pete posted:

Is the reception on shortwave cutting out at all? the tunein stream is getting choppy here and there. I'm wondering if that is going to be an issue on over-the-air broadcasts.

Art and Redacted getting the choppy audio in the studio too. Sounds like a Skype problem perhaps?

BTW, some program that came on after Art's program has Richard C. Hoagland as the guest. He's going to talk about the Pluto images.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Yeah, I am also curious what's on the downloadable "Midnight in the Desert" files? Did they leave in the flubs? Are the commercials in there too? Somehow, at this point early in the game, I don't think Art would actually pay someone to take the time to edit the commercials or mistakes out. Can someone answer?

Last night's broadcast had technical problems at times, but that was part of the show's charm. And yeah, the Dark Matter news segments were fun. :)

Inveigle fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 20, 2015

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

I've never heard the C2C files. And the C2C files would have been created by ClearChannel, which is certainly more "professional" than the operation Art has running right now.

So, can anyone please stay for sure what's on the downloadable MitD files? Thanks! :)

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

If you do download filez, just pay Art's $5 a month subscription fee anyway. It's ONLY 25 cents a show. Isn't it worth 25 cents for almost three hours of solid entertainment and craziness? :)

One of the callers last night did have a point. Nearly all late night radio is now conservative politics, religious, or shock jock programing. Art is one of the last bastions of good radio.

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Art is on again! Crystal Gayle is talking to Art. :)

http://live.darkmatterdigitalnetwork.com/darkmatter.mp3

To call in, the U.S. number is 1-952-225-5278, ( 1-952-CALL ART ).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

So, if you sign up for Time Traveller now, it will always be $5 a month, for as long as you keep paying for it? The price will never go up once you are "locked in"?

I missed last night's episode and want to listen to it. Has Art mentioned how many people have signed up? or if sign ups are going well?

• Locked thread