Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The GIG posted:

I really like the codecs in this game, your support team feels more like a group of buddies than a bunch of randoms thrown together who you have little reason to care about until halfway through the game. It's a nice touch.

I think a lot of it is down to the localisation. MGR is much closer to the first MGS in that regard, the language feels more naturalistic, more like they took the Japanese and adapted it so it sounded right in English, instead of rote translation. Notice how Courtney works her request about saving into conversations. She actually doesn't have a standard clip for that unless you've exhausted all other Codecs for that area with her.

Also, "CyborgCourtney coulda saved yo' rear end!" *spazs and spills coffee everywhere* is possibly my favourite of the Codecs I personally saw during my playthrough.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 25, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Puckanas posted:

Is that "Detroit was a pioneer in privatizing law enforcement" quote in the codec with Kevin a Robocop reference?

Almost certainly.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Sindai posted:

I'm now picturing the first few chapters of Yakuza 3 except it's Raiden and the orphanage is for rescued cyborg child soldiers. :unsmigghh:

Throw in karaoke and I'm there.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Silentman0 posted:

One thing I liked was Armstrong subtly explaining his crazy nanomachine blood. He says that he would been a pro footballer if he hadn't joined the Navy; who ran the Navy up until a few years ago? Yep, the Patriots gave him his crazy nanomachines.

I also like that Armstrong's basically the boss that Raiden's approach is dumbest against. Snake would have him beaten before he got to bragging about U of Texas, thanks to it being a sneaking mission and magic anti-nanonmachines. Whereas JACK just tries to punch the poo poo out of him.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Shinjobi posted:

Sunny is the friggin best. Any reservations I had about her character in MGS4 have disappeared.

"Wolf's not responding, not sure what's up."

"OH GOD I HOPE I DIDN'T SCARE THE POOR PUPPY.:gonk:"

That's just priceless.

My favourite Sunny moment is actually in the last update. Her "NO TIME FOR COUNTDOWN- IGNITION!!!" with the dramatic point skyward just makes me giggle every time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Penakoto posted:

I think Snake could take down Exelsus, but I think he'd be screwed with Armstrong.

It'd be pretty much like fighting vamp in MGS4, except no possibility of using the anti-nanomachine syringe because good luck penetrating that body with a needle, all Snake could do is run.

Armstrong can't POWER UP if he never sees the enemy coming. :ssh:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

I was thinking more, instead of a nano-shutdown injection like with Vamp, he has a nano-shutdown chemical-soaked handkerchief, gas spray or grenade.

Snake knows CQC and poo poo anyway. And I imagine if he was in this game he'd be in the latest military gear-- some kind of power armour, so he wouldn't be one-hit-KOed by Armstrong in any event.

Otacon IS Snake-man Beyond!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Speedball posted:

Y'know, fighting a muscular, shirtless politician who is skilled in asskicking...

It's like fighting evil Mike Haggar!

He's what Haggar would've become without the purity of pro-wrestling to keep him humble. :911:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

citybeatnik posted:

Considering how seriously we take football in Texas, and looking at how he apparently went to UT here in Austin, it wouldn't surprise me that most of his upgrades were done back when he was a quarterback.

Kinda surprised they didn't work in a "mess with the bull, you get the (hook'em) horns!" after the UT bit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's actually reasonably arguable that It Has To Be This Way is, in fact, Raiden's theme, not Armstrong's, given the whole lyrics fading when you don't have the sword thing. Plus the Freddie Mercury pose when he catches the sword in the cutscene is ridiculous and amazing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

VagueRant posted:

Oh, wow. I didn't notice the little symbol outside of blade mode. That is actually a pretty good tell. Easily lost in the background though. If he just regen'd a little less quick I'd probably be okay with it.
Aside from the fact the lyrics thing happens with Sam, and Armstrong is the one pushing the "hey, we're not so different" angle, there's also the lyrics:
I’ve carved my own path
You followed your wrath

The latter is definitely referring to the Ripper.

I'd say it's deliberately ambiguous, considering Raiden's the one who'd use a blade to 'carve' his path.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

And if you really want to cheese the fight, stay in blade mode after you stop his regenerating. You can get in a ton of hits / damage by just slicing the gently caress out of him while he is down. Works better with the infinite blade mode wig obviously.

Chip's No Damage run video actually shows this off, as well as it being the easy way to get the high combo requirement for max score.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Quegg posted:

i think the 'this isn't my sword' line is my favorite line in this whole loving game.

You can see it coming almost before he starts the speech.

And I was so expecting Sunny's run at the end to conclude with a "lightning in the rain" callback when I first finished the game.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Neruz posted:

"Raiden, my protocols require me to warn you that I am about to drop the bass. Prepare yourself."

This just made me envision Blade Wolf with an integrated dubstep gun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

According to the Metal Gear Wiki, it's Wilhelm Voight.

Which is probably a nod to Blade Runner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

I love that moment in general. Sam and Raiden are both :stare:ed out by Armstrong's....everything, but where Raiden gets mad Sam just rolls with it and finds everything about it tremendously amusing.

It also demonstrates why Armstrong would've been a terrible President. How can you trust the fiscal policy of a man that wastes military resources instead of buying a box of Roman candles?

• Locked thread