Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Dabir posted:

:thejoke:

In fact, there'd be no way for him to run out of ammo. Infinite ammo means infinite snakes to throw!

Make sure you don't throw the one on your head though. No bandana means no infinite ammo after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Well, to the bland villains, by comparison revengeances' villains aren't quite so memorable, and they're much less...Relevant I would guess? Sam aside, they show up for 1 scene and then are dead.

Compare Liquid Snake, Wolf, Mantis, or Raven from 1 who all had 2 boss fights, character development before you killed them, and long dialogues with Snake. One introduced Revolver Ocelot, so I mean, how can you hate it?
2 had...much worse villains, but Vamp gets redeemed and then some in 4, and it had Liquid Ocelot, so I mean, how can you hate it?
3 had the "The --" people, who were all kind of ridiculous and flashy. 3 Also had young Ocelot, so I mean, how can you hate it?
4 had the (Animal)(Emotion) Quartet who were all pretty neat. It also had Old Ocelot, so I mean, how can you hate it?

The bosses are cool, I just wish we got more than 1 fight with them. Given how pretty Rising gets though, we might have had to expect a PS4 release if there were double the boss fights.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Aurain posted:

4's bosses were easily the most bland, unless we're counting Peace Walker.
Actually, Revengeance makes everything about 4 seem pretty bland.

Ocelot. He isn't even in Reveangence, and the game suffers for it. 9.5/10 :colbert:

Also, theming makes everything easier to remember. The bosses were bland, but like I said, they were (emotion)(Animal) where the emotions were MGS3 bosses, and the animals were MGS1 bosses. They also all had the same second phase.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
So, those pincer swords seem stupid as hell to me. If it cuts through, the second cut is worthless (follows through in the cut). If it's blocked, the second one is too. If it flings freely, then physics no how what. And if they work like scissors, I don't get how one handing them works...

The arm staff is a polearm, the Sai are magnetic, but this weapon seems kind of dumb... Could someone explain this to me?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

LAY-ZX posted:

A ballistic missile sub doesn't look like a dinosaur. Checkmate. :smugbert:

It's also harder to move around on land. And try crushing a ninja with a submarine. Grey fox would destroy most modern submarines, let alone the old clunkers from the good old days of 2005.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Pitch posted:

Ocelot did.

1. ...I didn't know that. Which ocelot was it? Classic, Liquid, Young, or Old?
2. That's not fair, Ocelot is amazing beyond compare. Saying he did it doesn't mean that anyone else can do it.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

Ocelot is Ocelot

...Wait, what?! Ocelot is in this game? How have I been missing him? Or is that a spoiler and he's the final boss, brought back to life as a cyborg ninja. With a gunblade that shoots other gunblades?

If not, I think I need to start writing some fanfiction...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Krad posted:

Don't be silly. His gunblade obviously shoots revolvers.

Gunblades are revolvers. Kind of. Squall's was.

There should be a boss named Squall... or a recurring-but generic, so you kill them, they don't just run away-miniboss like some shittier, mass produced, Android version of Raiden's body.

David D. Davidson posted:

Yeah, he got his brain put into a cyborg body modeled after Big Boss, it's even voiced by David Hayter.

You think this is an obvious joke, but we're playing Metal Gear here. Unless the joke is that David Hayter is dead?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Captain Pissweak posted:

The final boss is actually David Hayter himself.

Final Fantasy 7 dirge of Cerberus. The secret mastermind was Gackt.

Do not underestimate Japan.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

S.J. posted:

Half-sister, I thought?

I think it was step-sister because Japan does this thing where if there's no blood relation the incest is okay, regardless of how long they'd been living as siblings before.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Cardiovorax posted:

I totally think that Kojima is absolutely taking all that pseudo-philosophical nonsense about the role of the soldier and the spirit of the warrior seriously. The writing is just too earnest and heartfelt for it not to be.

That stuff is serious and is actually kind of...nice? The place of war and soldiers in life, as well as the effect technology has both on them, and our perception of them is generally well done in this series...

You know, if you ignore the Mooing dinosaurs, poop jokes, cyborgs, Dancing pseudo vampires, Ocelot... Basically, these games are very silly, but the stuff it takes itself seriously on, it does a pretty good job of it.
I just always give the game the benefit of the doubt. If I like what they're saying it's serious, if it sounds like BS it's probably just there to make the game fun/funny.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Sindai posted:

My only beef with the Serious Stuff in MGS games is that it frequently dragged on for way too long and repeated itself too much.

Fortunately this is not a problem Revengeance has. Serious time is either short or optional so you can get back to being a cyborg ninja.

Right, isn't this game actually only like 4 hours or so long? Oddly for a MGS game, I think this might have more game-play than cut-scenes... And most of the codec stuff is optional...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

bman in 2288 posted:

Er, I don't think Meryl would be born around MGS5. But I get the sentiment.

...She was born by MGS1 and got married in MGS 4.

I thought we "met" John jr. in MGS 1 and 2? He was the "original" for the series.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Ariong posted:

MGS5 chronologically takes place between 1 and Peace Walker, almost certainly before she was born.

...Wait what? MGS5 has been announced? I thought they were going to keep on with Reveangences...
(I don't follow Metal Gear outside SA, and I don't follow anything outside SA during school months)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Kingdom Hearts style Colloseum. Fight multiple bosses at once.

Fight multiple Bosses at once. I think Platinum could make it happen...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
My favorite part has to be, when Raiden starts to look like he's agreeing with him, Armstrong helps him up, dusts him off, and is the first to offer his hand out.

That's an American Politician right there.

With this nanomachine desciption, I would think the way to beat him would be to do the Gogo thing. Just let him cool off for a second...

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
... I think Excelsus is a preying mantis. What with the 4 legs, 2 "arms" that are sharp, and trangular shaped head?

The red bits make up the eyes.

Also, The Excelus blade should be a NG+ weapon. Have it be like the Great Knife from Silent Hill except... greater.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gaz-L posted:

Armstrong can't POWER UP if he never sees the enemy coming. :ssh:

Very true. Armstrong's defense is a product of the nanomachines hardening in response to trauma. Depending on how the writers feel it should go, a needle piercing skin probably shouldn't register as enough damage to actually make Armstrong hard.

Of course, cutting and piercing are just a special kind of blunt force so... depends?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Penakoto posted:

Ok, I submit, I guess Snake could sneak up on him and give him the ol' nano injection or something, before his power up.

Still think Snake wouldn't stand a chance if Armstrongs nanomachines were working though, unless something or someone saved him somehow.

In other news: I can't wait for tomorrows update, best part of the best game of the year.

If Snake is there, Otacon is there. Otacon will build an EMP that gets around any defenses the nanos have. When your body is an even mesh of 80% tiny machines, having them all short circuit would be a bitch I'd imagine...

Also, has it come up how nano-machines react to electricity and magnets?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
I think a Metal Gear fighting game might be kind of cool. Pretty much every single Metal Gear boss is at least as over the top as the average fighting game character.

The Final Boss is Armstrong Ocelot.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

George posted:

I always thought it was a mantis.

Same. Since it only has the 4 legs on the ground and the sharp arm bits.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
During the Armstrong fight, I noticed that your health dropped (to 162% in fact) after he did his "explode from the rubble" thing, and you still got the no damage bonus.

Is that some kind of unavoidable attack he does that the game accounts for? Or did you splice the end to a better done fight at the end of the more lp friendly version? Or is the game poorly programmed, and it just sees that you have max HP and says 'good enough'?

Also, I think I'd like to see a game where you are the giant man fighting the ninja. It seems like a common thing to have an agile player character fight a lumbering brute (although, like God of War Heracles, Armstrong is pretty drat nimble in close quarters...)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

TwoPair posted:

"If I still had the chainsaw attachment for my tail, this tree would not be an obstacle. Why did you take my chainsaw from me, Raiden?"

When sunny stepped on his tail in that last utscene, I was so sad a little red exclamation mark didn't shoot up over Wolf's head... they've used it for sillier stuff before.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

QuetzaDrake posted:

I wonder if his blubbering about his sister reached the rectum (or whatever that area was called) of Arsenal Gear when Olga and Fortune died.

Wait, actually, what about after this game? Otacon's buff and handsome and manly now, does that mean no more women will ever die in Metal Gear land?

He's not actually buff and manly now, that's a thread joke. He just looks less like of a goon and more like a college professor.

Also, I think it was a joke about the new generation's graphics.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

So Revengeance difficulty is the Heaven or Hell mode, yeah?

Toned down a bit it sounds. Apparently not everything dies in 1 hit. (Even you?)

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

I think most ordinary people in MGS Land don't know about the insane exploits of Raiden and Co.- there's probably like one homeless dude ranting about cyborgs and nanomachine senators, though. And an INFOWARS.COM(but true)-style site that chronicles everything that actually happens in the games but everyone rightly dismisses as insane.

They all see know about the smaller stuff. As an example Raiden's level of cyborgin isn't crazy, but it is pretty expensive. Armstrong and Excelsus are probably considered to be exaggerations, propaganda, or outright hoaxes though.

By now, most people know about metal gears, but giant mantises that burst from the ground, and are called metal gears to sell better which means there is a market for giant robot mantises probably sounds like crazy talk yeah...

EDIT: VV My point is that, as there is a market, there is competition. There's more than one company offering giant robot mantises. So they apparently need to "stand out" by calling it a metal gear.

Gensuki fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Sep 18, 2013

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Neurion posted:

It also fires sword bullets, sword grenades, and has a sword tommygun. Oh and swords for armor.

The swords can all do the anime thing that fires off shock waves. Said shock waves are explicitly shaped like Scimitars, handles and all.

When you go into ripper mode, the scimitars become katanas.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Well, you know how you could basically put a child soldier's brain into anything, regardless of if it was shaped like a human?

Before they trained child soldiers, they used animal testing. Cows proved to be the most adept at piloting geckos.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Wild Knight posted:

How does that dovetail with the dynamic music, though? Does he just mentally switch to the harder-rocking MP3 that begins with RULES OF NATURE when he starts being really badass?

He starts singing those parts himself. He normally only does it when he's "winning" since at that point, he feels he can sort of space out enough from the actual fight to sing along with the music.

He has all of the Karaoke versions installed.

Just like with the psychological assault of giant mooing robots, having a dude with a sword coming at you while singing -what to you is- acapella is at least as terrifying.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gologle posted:

So why is his name Ocelot, anyway? Considering his use of pistols, I think his name shou,d be Magnum.

1. He uses Revolvers, not Magnums.
2. An Ocelot is a cat, that eats snakes (Like most cats) and a bunch of other stuff. It's native to the country where Ocelot became a bad rear end, so everyone named him after the nearest animal that was doing something cool.

Also, Magnum Ocelot sounds weird since it's 5 syllables. Cool names tend to be in multiples of 2 or 3.

Revolver Magnum is completely absurd if that's what you're going for. Who names themselves gun-gun? :rolleyes:

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

HMS Boromir posted:

So that's why "Boomer Kuwanger" has always rung so false in my ears.

That is one of the worst names of any robot master.

Related in the other way, the parts without numbers were jokes. To explain the name bit, not many names have more than 10 syllables. So most numbers less than 11 are divisible by 2 or 3.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

Revolvers can be magnums. "Magnum" just refers to the powder charge.

That is cool. I don't know anything about guns.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Neruz posted:

Morbi knows what he likes.

What we like

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011
Mistral has all those arms because juggling is hard.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

RatHat posted:

Do you guys think it's a coincidence that 3 out of the 5 bosses in the game have the same weapons as the Ninja turtles? Staff, Sai, Sword. The only ones that don't match up are Sundowner and Armstrong.

I think you can argue the scissor blades are just a very very very stupid form of nunchucks to be honest.

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Liandar posted:

Yeah, Bladewolf's AI is supposed to be able to learn, so I guess getting killed by Sam is how he learned to not be taunted by people calling him a dog :v:

Also, after losing to Sam, Bladewolf learned that using stealth, and being exceedingly offensive causes him to lose. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Gruckles posted:

Raiden would watch How To Basic videos without realizing the joke.

...That actually makes me sad in concept, but I haven't seen the series.
Being raised as a pyscho child soldier is ridiculous, but it really is sad.

Like, imagine Raiden trying to be a dad, and then just failing miserably. But he's trying really hard!

Can't play catch with his son because it would break his arm.
Can't go trick or treating because paranoia makes him beat up other children.
Can't go to the bank to make car payments because he sets off the metal detector.
Can't carve pumpkins because he can't cut in curving lines so all his Jack-o-lantern's are just pumpkins that have been cut in half.
Can't hug his son with nuclear arms.
Can't fix plumbing because he's too strong.
Can't sit on the couch and watch sports because it ruins the couch.
Can't teach his son how to shave because he doesn't have a lower jaw.
Can't teach his son to swim because he'd sink.

• Locked thread