Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Capaldi's first series is done, on to Season Nine!

Before continuing this thread... please realize, THIS IS THE SPOILER THREAD! Yes, this is the spoiler thread, wherein we spoil that Peter Capaldi is actually the Valeyard. Sorry, you just got spoiled sucker!

As for what we have heard about Season 9 from official news and spy photos:

CONFIRMED:

Capaldi and Coleman are both back and the title for the season 9 premiere is "The Magician's Apprentice".

The series will again start airing in the fall, with a full series run. Filming for season 9 began on January 5th.

Teek fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
I just can't contain my excitement for this special. I've only been watching since 2010, but... I don't know, I just am so in love with this show, despite this relatively weak series.

Gonna be hella mood whiplash, though, because it's the 50th for the JFK assassination, too.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I knew it was John Hurt but I still got pumped as hell at the reveal and the title.

Elrond Hubbard
Mar 30, 2007

To ERH
*everyone applauds*
So, what are the chances that Smith and Tennant will be teaming up against Hurt? Smith seemed to have a lot of contempt for him in the Finale.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Oh man, I hope they go that route people seem to be talking about where Hurt's Doctor is the real 9th Doctor. It wouldn't even be disagreeable with established canon as far as Smith being 11, because of the dialogue at the end where Smith said "You didn't do it in the name of the DOCTOR" which leads me to believe that, Time Lord regeneration or not, you don't count as a continuation of that specific Time Lord unless you maintain the promise you make when you take your name.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Elrond Hubbard posted:

So, what are the chances that Smith and Tennant will be teaming up against Hurt? Smith seemed to have a lot of contempt for him in the Finale.

In that recent Smith and Tennant interview Smith says there's a "third character [he] can't talk about" who's "bemused" by the two Doctors, which, presuming that's Hurt, hints a bit towards what their relationship might be like.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
I'm not a huge fan of the original run of the show, but it kind of pisses me off that they would relegate McGann's regeneration to a webisode.

At least they're not calling it a goddamned TARDISode.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Aatrek posted:

I'm not a huge fan of the original run of the show, but it kind of pisses me off that they would relegate McGann's regeneration to a webisode.

Would make for a hell of a cold open.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Count me as one of the people who wants Hurt to be the ninth incarnation. The idea of Eight fighting in the Time War always just struck me as...goofy. I like Eight, but Paul McGann vs. Daleks is just not something I can envision.

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Aatrek posted:

I'll take what I can get. :smith:

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
I for one love how more and more kickass British actors are showing up in Who. I mean, gently caress, in the last 5 months we've had Ian McKellan, David Warner, Warwick Davis, John Hurt...now if Patrick Stewart could please be in this year's Xmas special, and Sean Connery could just put his retirement behind him for a few days worth of shooting, I could potentially die a happy man.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Aatrek posted:

Well, it's more than most of us would ever have expected him to get.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

From the way Smith and Hurt interacted, I'm expecting Tennant/Smith to work with Hurt to destroy whatever villain they use for the 50th.

Probably one of the horrors of the Time War that leaked out after The Doctor crossed his own timeline. There's probably some dark poo poo in there.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Genetic Toaster posted:

From the way Smith and Hurt interacted, I'm expecting Tennant/Smith to work with Hurt to destroy whatever villain they use for the 50th.

Probably one of the horrors of the Time War that leaked out after The Doctor crossed his own timeline. There's probably some dark poo poo in there.

Surely it has to be the Daleks, right? I mean, this is supposed to be the big microcosm of Dr Who, it'd be wrong it if were anyone else.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Ensign_Ricky posted:

I for one love how more and more kickass British actors are showing up in Who. I mean, gently caress, in the last 5 months we've had Ian McKellan, David Warner, Warwick Davis, John Hurt...now if Patrick Stewart could please be in this year's Xmas special, and Sean Connery could just put his retirement behind him for a few days worth of shooting, I could potentially die a happy man.

Wait- [checks imdb]- HOLY gently caress THE GREAT INTELLIGENCE WAS IAN MCKELLAN! HOW DID I MISS THAT!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Aatrek posted:

As long as it ends up on the bluray box set, I'm happy. I'd rather get a prequel webisode thing than have it crammed into the episode proper to the detriment of character development there.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I've heard from the Colin Baker Fan Twitter that all of the living Doctors have filmed parts for the 50th. https://twitter.com/ColinBakerFans

How likely is this to be true?

Wolfechu
May 2, 2009

All the world's a stage I'm going through

That there's a Colin Baker fan twitter? A few years ago, I'd have said not very likely...

Dunno, though. All the classic actors have denied everything so far.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding

Burkion posted:

I've heard from the Colin Baker Fan Twitter that all of the living Doctors have filmed parts for the 50th. https://twitter.com/ColinBakerFans

How likely is this to be true?
Baker, McCoy and McGann have denied it repeatedly and were in Australia during filming, but filming a brief cameo wouldn't take long and they could have just been covering. I'd say of everyone Baker is the least likely though, have you seen that guy?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

VogeGandire posted:

Surely it has to be the Daleks, right? I mean, this is supposed to be the big microcosm of Dr Who, it'd be wrong it if were anyone else.

Omega is always a possibility with Doctor-teamup episodes too.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

HonorableTB posted:

Oh man, I hope they go that route people seem to be talking about where Hurt's Doctor is the real 9th Doctor. It wouldn't even be disagreeable with established canon as far as Smith being 11, because of the dialogue at the end where Smith said "You didn't do it in the name of the DOCTOR" which leads me to believe that, Time Lord regeneration or not, you don't count as a continuation of that specific Time Lord unless you maintain the promise you make when you take your name.

The spoilerish rumors (I don't know if they were actual spoilers or people speculating on what had been spoiled.) said John Hurt was playing a regeneration that happened between McGann and Eccleston that later Doctors had "forgotten" about. And I agree with most of the spoiler thread that thought it sucked to just stuff a hidden regeneration in there with no warning.

But a regeneration that did something to cause other Doctors (or maybe just Eleven) to strip him of his title? I love that idea. There's definitely enough darkness in him as a whole to do something like that.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

00Kevin posted:

But a regeneration that did something to cause other Doctors (or maybe just Eleven) to strip him of his title? I love that idea. There's definitely enough darkness in him as a whole to do something like that.

Yeah, its actually brilliant. I didnt like the last episode too much (despite all the cool continuity stuff) but the notion of the Doctor's name being struck from one incarnation is really cool.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
I'm still jumping on the bandwagon that he's 0 and why 1 and Susan had to leave. loving stoked for November to come around already.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Gau posted:

Count me as one of the people who wants Hurt to be the ninth incarnation. The idea of Eight fighting in the Time War always just struck me as...goofy. I like Eight, but Paul McGann vs. Daleks is just not something I can envision.

You should listen to some of the Big Finish audios - especially the later ones. He can really turn on a dime and suddenly become very shouty and frightening. He's the stereotypical 'nice' incarnation, but he's definitely got a mean side to him.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Might be interesting if 8 regenerated on purpose, knowing he needed a harder edge regeneration to handle the Time War.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

HonorableTB posted:

I could see less number fuckery with him being 8 in his later years.

A theory I liked from the old thread is that the Doctor played good little soldier in the Time Wars. He did a lot of horrible poo poo to the Daleks and for the Time Lords, and he lived a long life through the whole of the Time War.
Then, something happens and he concludes the only way he can really "end" the war is a time lock. He locks both sides in an endless time loop. Maybe, realizing what he's done, he wanders the universe, ashamed, and somehow dies. Ends up as Nine, goes to Earth, meets Rose, and does his best to forget that time ever happened. Explains his almost PTSD-nature. He's done some horrible poo poo, so he disavows the later half of his life (i.e the "900 years old" constantly being said to be inaccurate).

What makes me feel this could be true is that Nine was so ready to eradicate the Daleks in the first NuWho finale, but then he has a change of heart. A few thousand human lives worth more than the Daleks? Or maybe he knows how easy it is to slip back into his old ways? So he doesn't do it. And when he regenerates, this time he can do it with a clean conscience.

Although if the "McGann regeneration" scene is true, that won't mesh and maybe the "He was stripped of his title so there are only 11 DOCTORS, but 11 regenerations total", but this makes Matt the Valeyard, because it's his penultimate regeneration.

SombreroAgnew posted:

Baker, McCoy and McGann have denied it repeatedly and were in Australia during filming, but filming a brief cameo wouldn't take long and they could have just been covering. I'd say of everyone Baker is the least likely though, have you seen that guy?

I could see this being plausible if even only as minor cameos.

I mean Eccleston didn't want to do the whole ep but who knows if he just walked out or if someone said "Can we at least get a 30 second shot of you post-regeneration, since we never gave Paul McGann a proper one into you?"
I loved Nine, so I'm just getting my hopes up :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gau posted:

Count me as one of the people who wants Hurt to be the ninth incarnation. The idea of Eight fighting in the Time War always just struck me as...goofy.

In Nine's first appearance we know he didn't fight in the Time War as he sees his new face for the first time in the mirror at Rose's apartment.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Rhyno posted:

In Nine's first appearance we know he didn't fight in the Time War as he sees his new face for the first time in the mirror at Rose's apartment.

He never actually says "new face" IIRC (and I just watched the episode a few days ago, so I hope I didn't miss it). He looks into a mirror and comments on his appearance, but that doesn't mean it's the first time.

Classtoise
Feb 11, 2008

THINKS CON-AIR WAS A GOOD MOVIE

EvilHawk posted:

He never actually says "new face" IIRC (and I just watched the episode a few days ago, so I hope I didn't miss it). He looks into a mirror and comments on his appearance, but that doesn't mean it's the first time.

Every Doctor in the new series so far has made some comment about their physical form after regenerating.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

EvilHawk posted:

Uh, he directly comments on it, even says "shame about the ears."

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
The scene was certainly intended to imply a recent regeneration but I suppose you could argue that it was just the first time he'd had the opportunity to look in a mirror.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Actually it really works with a fresh regeneration because he's still wearing the same jacket hurt wears. Granted, all his other solo adventures shown in the scene with Clive undercut that, but I quite like the fan theory that he had them after Rose tells him no and then pops back after being all weird and morbid on his own.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

So did The Name of the Doctor depict all of his regenerations except McGann? That's either setting up something, or a pretty big dick move.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Chairman Capone posted:

So did The Name of the Doctor depict all of his regenerations except McGann? That's either setting up something, or a pretty big dick move.

McGann was depicted.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Yeah, he was in the San Francisco(?) scene with Troughton. He immediately walks in front of Clara before Troughton runs past her. It's not clear if it's him or not, but later in the episode during the replay of those bits, the Clara's "again and again and again" dialogue hit the "agains" when meeting the Doctor, and the guy who looks like 8 is one of those.

So that means 2 and 8 had a Two Doctors thing apparently at some point. Get on it Big Finish!

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.
Is anyone else really upset at Moffat retconning the whole new series?

I feel incredibly (perhaps irriationally) angry about it.

I know some people claim that Moffat's "always" had the plan of introducing the Hurt Doctor, but to me it just feels like Moffat had a story that he wanted to tell about the Time War, couldn't get Eccleston to come back for it, and decided "Hey, I'm showrunner, I'll do what I want!" and made up a new Doctor for himself to play with.

I like Hurt, don't get me wrong; I'd have loved to see him play Doctor number twelve, but this just seems unnecessarily contradictory.

[Edit] Oh, and also, is there any official reason they don't tap McGann more? I know he likes playing The Doctor, and seems generally well-liked (at least as much as Colin's Doctor, probably more). I just don't get it.

Blasphemeral fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 20, 2013

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

People sure are OCD about numbers getting complicated.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

Blasphemeral posted:

[Edit] Oh, and also, is there any official reason they don't tap McGann more? I know he likes playing The Doctor, and seems generally well-liked (at least as much as Colin's Doctor, probably more). I just don't get it.

I've no idea for sure, but I've heard that they have an issue with Fox over the rights to the TV movie. I don't know anything about copyright law, but who knows.

Blasphemeral posted:

I know some people claim that Moffat's "always" had the plan of introducing the Hurt Doctor, but to me it just feels like Moffat had a story that he wanted to tell about the Time War, couldn't get Eccleston to come back for it, and decided "Hey, I'm showrunner, I'll do what I want!" and made up a new Doctor for himself to play with.

I sometimes get a very Lost feel from Moffat, where he really doesn't know what the overall plan is, or he does and it's just a super weak pay off. All I know is that this finale was the first episode of Doctor Who I was excited for in a long time, and while I enjoyed it, it still felt like it could have been more. There are many complaints here and elsewhere about Clara and the lack of character, Moffat and the lack of planning, the split season and the lack of budget, but whatever the reason, for me the show seemed to have lost a little of the magic it had. Even under RTD and the big stupid pay offs he would bring, I was always excited for the next episode. I hated End of Time part 1, but still couldn't help but to feel an anticipation of how it would end. I can't pinpoint why I do not get this way currently, even though I like Smith's doctor a smidgen more than Tennant.

I got a hint of that nostalgia feeling at the end of this episode, ironically after all this time, with the introduction of Hurt. Couple that with the rumors of the 50th that I am, even without the old Doctors starring in it, excited for November. I am hoping this season was just a fluke, because I had little interest in it like I did with 5 and 6. So, I guess after this rambling, all I can say is that I am optimistic about the future seasons, no matter who runs it or who is starring in it.

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...
Well, at least Tennant knows a good photobomb opportunity when he sees one!

edit:Although that may be shopped in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

^^^ That photo is a few years old and the original had no Tennant sadly.

• Locked thread