Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
My personal shortlist of people I want to see as The Doctor:

Idris Elba
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Richard Ayoade
Rupert Grint
Tilda Swinton
Emma Watson
Stephen Fry
Bill Bailey

(None of these are going to happen)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ukle
Nov 28, 2005

Porkchop Express posted:

The article mentioned Damien Lewis, and while I don't think that's very likely, I would be 100% ok with that choice.

Not a chance in hell it would be Damien Lewis, hes very in demand at the moment.

Rupert Grint though would tick a lot of boxes, and he can act. But tbh I bet its someone nobody will expect to be the next doctor, seems to be the way its done since the revival.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
Guys clearly this is a joke, and we'll find out he's being replaced by Matt's "Identical Twin Brother" Mart Smith

Right guys?

Right?

:negative:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
Hey, if it's Rupert Grint, the Doctor finally gets to be ginger!

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

Ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

ukle posted:

Not a chance in hell it would be Damien Lewis, hes very in demand at the moment.

Rupert Grint though would tick a lot of boxes, and he can act. But tbh I bet its someone nobody will expect to be the next doctor, seems to be the way its done since the revival.

Yeah I know, but I can wish!

I don't know how I feel about Grint, I think I kind of dont like that idea, but maybe he would be excellent at it, who knows.

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

Aurora posted:

Strax, Vastra, and Jenny are all super cool and I don't know why people dislike them. :colbert:

Also I really hope we don't just get a continuous cycle of "Doctor for three years and then a new one".

Obviously, if a British actor stays on a show for more than 3 years, the universe will end. Hes doing it to save us all!

Actually I'm kind of miffed about all the lying that the production staff has been doing lately. Its kind of souring me on the whole thing.

Tomtrek
Feb 5, 2006

I've had people walk out on me before, but not when I was being so charming.

Rupert Grint would probably make a pretty good Doctor in about 25 years.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Idris Elba
Chiwetel Ejiofor
Richard Ayoade
These would all be fantastic options. Elba is obviously a 100% ace pick. Chiwetel is awesome and I would enjoy having a Doctor that goes around armbar-ing aliens. My reservations about Ayoade involve his acting range.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I hate that Matt's going out without ever facing the Master. :(

pgroce
Oct 24, 2002

Okan170 posted:

Actually I'm kind of miffed about all the lying that the production staff has been doing lately. Its kind of souring me on the whole thing.

What about the recent lying bothers you more than the lying the production staff has done since the beginning of the show?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

pgroce posted:

What about the recent lying bothers you more than the lying the production staff has done since the beginning of the show?

Yeah, it's not like RTD and staff didn't repeatedly say, "No, seriously guys, Chris Eccleston isn't leaving, he isn't leaving, David Tennant hasn't been cast, we love Chris and look forward to having him as the Doctor for many years to come."

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
But would be get Moss Ayoade or Saboo Ayoade?

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!
I would hope for Saboo Ayoade -- he's been to the crunch :allears:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Smith's been great. I remember I was at my grandmother's house watching Doctor Who Confidential when he was announced, and as soon as he appeared on the screen she was like, "Oh, no! Just look at his hair!"

Still, it's a real pity that he didn't get three "conventional" seasons like Tennant did, what with the splitting and all that. Hopefully he'll get a better send-off than part two of "The End Of Time".

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

pgroce posted:

I just kind of find it a bit manipulative and don't really like it. Yeah, RTD was bad at that too, but in general there was less of the "big mystery!" plots that they had to lie about back then.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Metal Loaf posted:

Smith's been great. I remember I was at my grandmother's house watching Doctor Who Confidential when he was announced, and as soon as he appeared on the screen she was like, "Oh, no! Just look at his hair!"

Still, it's a real pity that he didn't get three "conventional" seasons like Tennant did, what with the splitting and all that. Hopefully he'll get a better send-off than part two of "The End Of Time".

I'm glad that his run more or less equals Tennant's in length. 3 full seasons, 4 Christmas Specials, and a non-Christmas Special.

Lanz
May 30, 2013
I'm on board with Ayoade as well

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.
Something must of happened to push Matt Smith out of show. His departure seems so sudden and unexpected. It may be many years before we find out.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

So how is this gonna work now? It says he is only going to have a few specials, but I thought the newest season started well before Christmas, and the Christmas special is to be one of his episodes.

Abrakadaver
May 1, 2013
Sad to see Matt Smith leaving - really enjoyed him as the Doc.

Still, you can pretty much guarantee Ill be saying the same thing after the next lucky bastard finishes his turn.

I desperately hope that Emma Watson isn't the next Doc as some people have hoped for purely for the reason that the lower portion of my body would combust with sexual frustration with both her and JLC on screen at once.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Porkchop Express posted:

So how is this gonna work now? It says he is only going to have a few specials, but I thought the newest season started well before Christmas, and the Christmas special is to be one of his episodes.

Nope, the next thing that's going to air for Doctor Who is the Anniversary special in November. Then there's the Christmas Special.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

awesomepanda posted:

Something must of happened to push Matt Smith out of show. His departure seems so sudden and unexpected. It may be many years before we find out.

There was a rumor that Smith and Moffat had a falling-out over the plans for the 50th, as in Smith going, "loving seriously? That's it?" But, rumors are rumors.

In any event, my guess is that Smith made his decision sometime between the end of filming on Series 7 and the filming of the 50th special. That he's been so cagey about it for months (and that even the BBC announcement of Series 8 didn't specifically mention him in the cast) says to me that the decision was made a while ago, and they were trying (and failing) to keep it under wraps, so the BBC did what they did regarding Eccleston and said, "Yep, sorry, he really is leaving."

Porkchop Express posted:

Filming of the Christmas special takes place this summer. They won't begin shooting Series 8 until either late this year or very early 2014.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

awesomepanda posted:

I think it might have been decided awhile ago and so he was able to leave, get a role in that new movie and shave his head.

It's not that hard to believe that after three years, Matt Smith might have wanted to try something else though. He can obviously act and as much as I loved him on Doctor Who, it'd be great if he went on to try bigger and better things.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Hugh Laurie.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've got to say, I really, really, really hope they're not going to split the next series in half again That would probably be one of the absolute worst things that could happen to a new actor trying to establish himself in the role.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

jivjov posted:

Nope, the next thing that's going to air for Doctor Who is the Anniversary special in November. Then there's the Christmas Special.

Oh, we'll that's disappointing, I thought there was to be more this year.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

I've said it before; look to an up-and-coming stage actor for the next Doctor, not someone already TV-famous, if they're going to follow the pattern they've set with Ecclestone-Tennant-Smith.

Really sad Matt's leaving, he's been a really good Doctor in so many ways :smith:

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

The next doctor isn't likely to be anyone we've heard of. I mean look at what David Tennant and Matt Smith were up to before they got the role.

Also, Idris Elba would make a much better James Bond. He'd be great in a guest spot on Who as a serious antagonist but to play The Doctor you need more silly than I think he can bring.

Brigadier Sockface
Apr 1, 2007
Goddamn you thread. A few weeks ago you convinced me that Matt Smith was staying. :mad:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Gangringo posted:

The next doctor isn't likely to be anyone we've heard of. I mean look at what David Tennant and Matt Smith were up to before they got the role.

Eh, Tennant wasn't the known commodity that Eccleston was when he was cast, but he had Casanova and Blackpool under his belt, so he wasn't totally unknown, unlike Smith, who was a "who the gently caress is that guy?" choice.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I remember my dad telling me that Peter Davison was the actor who had the most name recognition when he was cast, since he'd been in All Creatures Great and Small beforehand.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I thought that the first three were all pretty well known before they took on the role?

awesomepanda
Dec 26, 2005

The good life, as i concieve it, is a happy life.

Timby posted:

There was a rumor that Smith and Moffat had a falling-out over the plans for the 50th, as in Smith going, "loving seriously? That's it?" But, rumors are rumors.
I wouldnt be surprised if that rumor was true. I felt that Moffet's writing and direction since 5 has really gone down the drain. While there were still some great lines and scenes, it was as great of a show any more. If I were an actor, I'd leave too, at the height of my popularity.

I always thought he was confirmed for season 8 from everything i read :(

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Porkchop Express posted:

I thought that the first three were all pretty well known before they took on the role?

Pertwee was mainly known for his work in radio and theatre, while Hartnell and Troughton were primarily character actors.

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
I think with budget concerns being so huge these last few seasons, there's no way they'll get anyone that has name power behind it. At least outside the UK, anyway. I'd kill for Idris Elba or Ayoade, but I just don't see it happening.

As much as I really find Smith to be my favorite Doctor, I'd really like to have the next actor be already in his thirties at the very least. Smith did an amazing job with the cantankerous old man in the younger body, but I'd love an older Doctor. Somehow, I doubt the BBC is going to go that route, though. They need eye candy for the younger generation I suppose.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

awesomepanda posted:

I wouldnt be surprised if that rumor was true. I felt that Moffet's writing and direction since 5 has really gone down the drain. While there were still some great lines and scenes, it was as great of a show any more. If I were an actor, I'd leave too, at the height of my popularity.

Not to mention the faffing around with the delays and split seasons and all that, if I were an actor I probably wouldn't want to be tied to a show whose producers I couldn't be sure knew what they were doing.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Either someone much older or maybe it's time for a female Doctor, I've mentioned her before but I think Ruth Wilson would be an amazing change of direction.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Noxville posted:

Not to mention the faffing around with the delays and split seasons and all that, if I were an actor I probably wouldn't want to be tied to a show whose producers I couldn't be sure knew what they were doing.

I think the split seasons were out of Moffat's hands, though.

The first one was going alright, then "Let's Kill Hitler" happened.

Porkchop Express
Dec 24, 2009

I think that all of Moffat's run has been pretty solid, this season in particular I thought was really good as well.

Also I bet you that we will never have a female doctor. Everyone always seems to think it is something that will eventually happen, but I think it's a little too much of a departure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, Let's Kill Hitler. You stupid, stupid, stupid episode.

Sad to hear Smith is bowing out, but hopefully he gets a better end than "I DON'T WANNA GO".

• Locked thread