Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Mortanis posted:

I think with budget concerns being so huge these last few seasons, there's no way they'll get anyone that has name power behind it. At least outside the UK, anyway. I'd kill for Idris Elba or Ayoade, but I just don't see it happening.

Oh god he would make such a surreal Doctor, that is now my wish for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorLoomis
Apr 5, 2007

I LUST FOR MONKEY DEATH
My own personal speculation: We've already seen the "next doctor". Rumors abound now that John Hurt will be in episodes beyond the 50th/christmas special. I would bet you Hurt Doctor takes over as the Doctor for half the season, then HE dies and regenerates, and we get the next, next doctor.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

CobiWann posted:

Hugh Laurie.

All my hopes and dreams.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Avicus posted:

I've got a wee bit of hope that the announcement is series 8 being renamed "Doctor Whos".

:eng101:Doctors Who

Is Moffat sticking around though? I'm bummed we won't get to see what a better show-runner could do with Smith.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CobiWann posted:

Hugh Laurie.

Aiden Gillen.

With Sophie Turner as the new companion. :getin:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

computer parts posted:

Aiden Gillen.

With Sophie Turner as the new companion. :getin:

Peter Dinklage.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Rhyno posted:

All my hopes and dreams.

No way River could deny this hat is cool.

Bisensual
May 24, 2013

Do you hate me?

ProfessorLoomis posted:

My own personal speculation: We've already seen the "next doctor". Rumors abound now that John Hurt will be in episodes beyond the 50th/christmas special. I would bet you Hurt Doctor takes over as the Doctor for half the season, then HE dies and regenerates, and we get the next, next doctor.

I should hope not. I really like the idea of John Hurt as the Doctor. I think we need someone older to be the Doctor.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

moths posted:

:eng101:Doctors Who

Is Moffat sticking around though?

Yes, Moffat is confirmed to be doing Series 8.

Also:

quote:

I'm bummed we won't get to see what a better show-runner could do with Smith.

I remember everyone saying the same thing about Tennant / RTD. :laugh:

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the split seasons were out of Moffat's hands, though.

It's probably six of one, half-dozen of the other. Budgets have definitely been an issue, but there have been multiple reports that Moffat is notoriously slow at writing scripts / revising other people's scripts (he supposedly got the 50th special script in only a few weeks before filming, which gave the design and costuming departments very little time to do their thing), and that between Sherlock and Who, he's just in over his head. I have a hunch that the reason Gatiss and Stephen Thompson wrote the first two episodes of the next run of Sherlock was to give Moffat time to focus on the 50th / Christmas specials and get working on Series 8.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Tilda Swinton or nothing. :colbert:

Now that I think about it, isn't Swinton the frontrunner if there's to be a female Doctor?

Other than that, Elba would be a pretty decent shot too.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

TinTower posted:

Tilda Swinton or nothing. :colbert:

If it's Tilda, everything is forgiven.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I doubt they could afford him after Avengers, but Tom Hiddleston could be brilliant.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

...there have been multiple reports that Moffat is notoriously slow at writing scripts / revising other people's scripts (he supposedly got the 50th special script in only a few weeks before filming, which gave the design and costuming departments very little time to do their thing)

Isn't the 50th special still more than a few weeks away from filming?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

thexerox123 posted:

Isn't the 50th special still more than a few weeks away from filming?

The 50th wrapped shooting on May 5. Location filming with Hurt, Tennant and Smith was done in the first few weeks of April (which is when we saw photos of all three, plus the Zygon), and then they moved to soundstages. Post-production will take a while, surely, and there's no reason they can't shoot a bit for the 50th while they film the Christmas special this summer (like how they shot the Hurt piece for The Name of the Doctor while they were making the 50th special) but the actual, "official" filming portion is in the can.

Timby fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 2, 2013

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

cptn_dr posted:

If it's Tilda, everything is forgiven.

On the other hand, Moffat writing a woman...

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Timby posted:

It's probably six of one, half-dozen of the other. Budgets have definitely been an issue, but there have been multiple reports that Moffat is notoriously slow at writing scripts / revising other people's scripts (he supposedly got the 50th special script in only a few weeks before filming, which gave the design and costuming departments very little time to do their thing), and that between Sherlock and Who, he's just in over his head. I have a hunch that the reason Gatiss and Stephen Thompson wrote the first two episodes of the next run of Sherlock was to give Moffat time to focus on the 50th / Christmas specials and get working on Series 8.

Yeah, I was thinking between Sherlock and Doctor Who he might have bitten off more than he can chew. I remember he was talking about how it was "hell" writing the 50th.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

BrooklynBruiser posted:

Peter Dinklage.

This would be rad.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

Timby posted:

I doubt they could afford him after Avengers, but Tom Hiddleston could be brilliant.

gently caress that make him the new Master.

Neowyrm
Dec 23, 2011

It's not like I pack a lunch box full of missiles when I go to work!
Somebody suggested Lara Pulver for the role. Yowza.

Lanz
May 30, 2013

Porkchop Express posted:

I think that all of Moffat's run has been pretty solid, this season in particular I thought was really good as well.

Also I bet you that we will never have a female doctor. Everyone always seems to think it is something that will eventually happen, but I think it's a little too much of a departure.

It's been seeded as possible before with The Corsair.

Lanz fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Jun 2, 2013

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Timby posted:

The 50th wrapped shooting on May 5. Location filming with Hurt, Tennant and Smith was done in the first few weeks of April (which is when we saw photos of all three, plus the Zygon), and then they moved to soundstages. Post-production will take a while, surely, and there's no reason they can't shoot a bit for the 50th while they film the Christmas special this summer (like how they shot the Hurt piece for The Name of the Doctor while they were making the 50th special) but the actual, "official" filming portion is in the can.

Oh, right right. I was mixing it up with the Christmas Special, I think.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
gently caress. Matt, nooooo. And I only just found this amazing thing yesterday.

I really, really hope they use the regeneration scene to set up the Valeyard.

Also, Hugh Lawrie has to get it. Come onnnnnnn.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
"The Valeyard" is the Doctor's maleness and thus evil side, he'll be expelled, paving the wave for the Doctor to take his rightful place as the woman he was meant to be.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teek posted:

"The Valeyard" is the Doctor's maleness and thus evil side, he'll be expelled, paving the wave for the Doctor to take his rightful place as the woman he was meant to be.

Only in a world where Marti Noxon is the show-runner.

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013
If Moffat stays on I get the feeling/hope that the next Doctor will be a Pertwee type Doctor. Bring back Venusian aikido I say!

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I think this was pretty much a shoe in that Smith was going to leave. He's out in a couple of years, his profile is rising, and he's entering his 30s. Don't want to be typecast as the Doctor as he wants to continue his acting career.

He was great in the role and its a shame to see him go especially with what Moffat gave him to work with in the last half season.

I think the next doctor is probably going to be an older guy as an intermediate step to the next next Doctor.

I hope he's leaving on good terms though as opposed to behind the scenes stuff.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

Harlock posted:

Don't want to be typecast as the Doctor as he wants to continue his acting career.

Has any Doctor ever really been typecast after leaving? People always bring this up, but are there even that many roles similar enough to the Doctor to make that a real concern?

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica
Aw yeah, time for that Dylan Moran/Bill Bailey/Tamsin Greig TARDIS team.

Stephen Mangan would be an acceptable alternative.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Chris Morris for the next Doctor.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Stephen Fry with Alan Davies as the companion.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Pops Mgee posted:

Stephen Fry with Alan Davies as the companion.

No. Fry as the Companion, with Davies as the Doctor who dies as at the end of the season and is replaced with Phil Jupitus. Repeat with Bill Bailey, Brian May, Rob Bryden, and Jimmy Carr. Hopefully the show will be back on extended hiatus before they're down to Johnny Vegas.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I would love to see Hugh Laurie as the next cranky, sarcastic Doctor reminiscent of a mix between 1, 2, and 7.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

David Mitchell for Doctor, Robert Webb for Companion. :colbert:

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
Actually, when was the last time the Companion was all but explicitly smarter than the Doctor anyway? Romana? Zoe?

e: Not counting River. She cheats.

404GoonNotFound fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 2, 2013

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Tim Curry. They almost cast him as Jek in Caves of Androzani. He almost was the good doctor in the 1996 movie. I think we need to get him on the show in some capacity, so I’m tossing him out there as my pick for Doc 12.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know who could or should play the Doctor next, but as I mentioned in the other thread, I'd be dead keen to see James Nesbitt as the Master.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

High Warlord Zog posted:

Tim Curry. They almost cast him as Jek in Caves of Androzani. He almost was the good doctor in the 1996 movie. I think we need to get him on the show in some capacity, so I’m tossing him out there as my pick for Doc 12.

Tim Curry's recently suffered a major stroke so I would doubt he's up to it at the moment.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I want Karl Urban. However I know it will be someone like Robert Sheehan, Iwan Rheon, or Joseph Gilgun. They have been in tv shows, and if they were in a movie it was a bit part.

TheBuckmister
Oct 18, 2008
Does this mean JLC will also be leaving? I'm bummed (but not surprised) about Matt, but if Matt leaves and JLC stays it'll be grim...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Pretty sure she's confirmed for season 8 already. She might work better with a good Doctor to play off of.

• Locked thread