Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

gucci void main posted:

Seems as if Elixir gets the Joe Armstrong Seal of Approval!

http://joearms.github.io/2013/05/31/a-week-with-elixir.html

"Sigils are great – love ‘em. We should add these to Erlang." - Joe Armstrong, 2013

Looks like the time is ripe for Perlang :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

Also it seems http://thisotplife.tumblr.com is dead, which is a shame.

Dead as in you can't submit stuff to it any more or dead as in nobody has submitted anything for a while?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
As I've (slowly, mea culpa) read LYSE and discussions/papers here and in the PL thread, I've started coming around to the view that there is a lot of overlap between building classical distributed systems and building industrial embedded systems (stuff with hard reliability requirements, eg. SIFs). I'm surprised there isn't more on the web relating the two, but then again I am a crazy dude that thinks there is a fundamental equivalence between statistical signal processing and classical frequency-domain signal processing v:shobon:v

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

I'd like to hear about that more.

FWIW, there's work to make Erlang more available for bigger 'embedded' platforms (http://www.erlang-embedded.com/).

There's also a German guy I know who uses Erlang in hard real-time systems for the automotive industry by using it in RTEMS (a real time OS). The gist of his thing is that he writes the hard-real time components in C, C++, or even Ada, and gives them a priority higher than Erlang. Because they're usually smaller core components, he can then run everything that is soft-real or lower priority on the same embedded OS with a lower priority, within the Erlang VM.

There's been other interesting work in the topic, trying to make the Erlang VM work for hard real time, but I haven't heard about it in a long while and it's frankly outside of my area of expertise.

It's been a while, but I didn't forget this :3: I've been real busy, but in my spare mental cycles I've been thinking more about it and to cut a long story short I think the similarity I saw boils down to a) some systems, especially SIFs, being actual distributed embedded systems of the AP variety even though they aren't normally described that way and b) unreliable communication even in systems that don't look "distributed", where it is impossible to discern whether there is excessive latency on a bus or whether the chip you're trying to talk to is transiently failing or really broken in the "magic smoke is gone" way. I will try and elaborate on this Saturday or Sunday :)

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
You pronounce your name like the hockey player, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
Is kerl the best way to maintain an up-to-date Erlang VM on my machine? My distro is stuck on R15B1.

• Locked thread