Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

MononcQc posted:

...Cool poo poo...

Post this in your blog.

E: Pressed post too soon:

What projects do people use Erlang in? By that I mean, what happened that made you go "I need Erlang for this!"?

Workaday Wizard fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
Thanks for the replies.

MononcQc posted:

[*] Real Time Bidding software, because low-latency requirements (soft real time), massive levels of concurrency, and constant system overload (which Erlang rules at)

I don't know why I was under the impression that Erlang couldn't do low latency stuff.

Glad to hear it does.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

MononcQc posted:

Nice! Good to hear.

---

Oh and I can't believe I forgot to post this here, but I'm giving a free webcast for O'Reilly on Tuesday on Modern Server Application Design with Erlang for a high-level tour of building Erlang apps and how that compares to traditional things, then some general design ideals to keep in mind when using Erlang for that.

I hope it's gonna be good, although I'm still working on it as I type this.

Does O'Reilly archive webcasts?

I can't attend this one :(

• Locked thread