Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and that rebar is basically the Dizzy show with Tuncer as comic relief.

Can you explain this for people who don't follow Github or HN drama? I've found rebar quite useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I'm looking to parse HTML and RSS feeds. It looks like mochiweb_html is the goto html parser, but is there anything more standalone that doesn't require bringing in mochiweb? For the RSS, is there a specific RSS library out there, or should I just stick to xmerl?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
This is just for a standalone app, so I suppose I can just cheat and put mochiweb_html alongside my own sources without having to muck around with even more Rebar config. Thanks for the heads up on erlsom and qdate.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Is there a reason so many functions are 1-based instead of 0-based (lists:nth/2, element/2 etc)?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
That makes sense. It just takes some getting used to coming from languages where I'd be calling some_list[0] to get the first element.

Another silly question. Is there any reason to ever have a process that doesn't live in an OTP supervision tree? It seems like every process I write is either an OTP behaviour, or a worker at the leaf of a supervision tree; I don't end up using many of the concurrency primitives, since so much seems to go through OTP. Is this OK, or are there legitimate uses for raw Erlang?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
So the Toronto Erlang Factory Lite was pretty neat! There were four(!) goons there, including MononcQc who gave a talk. Tom from Basho's talk stood out as well. Unfortunately I couldn't hang around for drinks afterwards, but I got to meet a lot of interesting people. I hope there was enough interest that there'll be another one next year.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Are there good introductory resources? I have a copy of this book from school still (an older edition). Would that be enough to get back into distributed systems?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Sir_Substance posted:

This language is hilarious.

You should read the mailing list today.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
The San Francisco Erlang Factory is this week I'm not sure if anyone else here is going. I'll be the bewildered Canadian.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

MononcQc posted:

Yeah I'm definitely going to be there. I'll be presenting on Planning for Overload and I have a lightning talk lined up too on interval tree clocks.

Well yeah, you going was a given. The lightning talks are for Thursday night, right?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Lol at this guy totally missing you.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I didn't even realize that was Francesco. Everyone looks different from their twitter pictures. I gave your talk a smiley face, but I've given every talk a smiley face because public voting stresses me out.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I won a book. My week is complete.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
The Basho people are really really loud when you get them all together.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
Hello again, Erlang thread.

This may be a bit of a fool's errand, but I'm trying to get relx (and subsequently exrm) running on Windows. Relx provides instructions for building on Windows, but they're not working for me. When I run the bootstrap script, I get the following output.

code:

C:\Users\ick\relx>bootstrap
==> rebar_vsn_plugin (get-deps)
==> neotoma (get-deps)
==> erlware_commons (get-deps)
==> erlydtl (get-deps)
==> getopt (get-deps)
==> relx (get-deps)
==> rebar_vsn_plugin (compile)
==> rebar_vsn_plugin (post_compile)
==> neotoma (compile)
==> neotoma (post_compile)
==> erlware_commons (compile)
==> erlware_commons (post_compile)
'fgrep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
'wc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
==> erlydtl (compile)
==> erlydtl (post_compile)
==> getopt (compile)
==> getopt (post_compile)
==> relx (compile)
==> relx (post_compile)
'fgrep' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
'wc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
==> rebar_vsn_plugin (escriptize)
==> neotoma (escriptize)
==> erlware_commons (escriptize)
==> erlydtl (escriptize)
==> getopt (escriptize)
==> relx (escriptize)
Obviously some problems there, as it's trying invoke Linux commands. The resulting escript is pretty mangled...

code:
C:\Users\ick\relx>relx
escript: exception error: undefined function 'relx ':main/1
  in function  escript:run/2 (escript.erl, line 752)
  in call from escript:start/1 (escript.erl, line 276)
  in call from init:start_it/1 (init.erl, line 1057)
  in call from init:start_em/1 (init.erl, line 1037)
This is using Rebar 2.4.0, and relx 1.0.4 . I don't do much on Windows, so I'm hoping someone has seen this happen before. Has anyone been able to get relx built on Windows?

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
I didn't even realize that github distributed binaries. Shows how out of touch I am.

Anyways I totally ditched elixir for this project, so I don't need exrm anymore.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

MononcQc posted:

howistart.org got released recently and I have a tutorial on there about how I usually get going with projects to write libraries and releases :toot:

This is a really great tutorial! Definitely a great way to show a "real" example, rather that something small and contrived.

Jose Valim just added one for Elixir that isn't quite as in-depth, but covers some Elixir specific things like Mix, agents, and protocols.

I'm still on the fence about Elixir, but at least it's neat to follow a very young language.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
That is extremely cool, thanks.

• Locked thread