Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I want to learn and play around with Erlang by making a library to call from the Unreal Engine. Is there a way built into Erlang to use C or C++ as a shallow wrapper and do most of my code in Erlang? I've found C nodes and native implemented functions, but those both go the wrong direction.

I think I could do it with pipes in C nodes but I'd rather a different path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

bobthenameless posted:

As far as I know, if you're wanting to do that probably the best way would be through a socket; but you have to consider that any erlang library you write would need to be running within the Erlang VM - it wouldn't be a compiled dll you can just use from within UE4 without also having the VM going.

I might be wrong about that, I'm far from experienced with erlang, and when I was looking at it a few months back i was looking going the ways you already mentioned.

Maybe there is a way to bundle it all into one thing; I just haven't run across anywhere talking about that.

If that has to be done I think that'll still be manageable. I could just start the VM in an init C function and close it on exit or UE crash.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

I looked into it further, for Unreal 3 at least, the only way I saw it attempted was be running Unreal from the vm but that leads to very poor framerate for a game.

Oh well, I'll have to find some other project that allows me to both learn erlang and prove it if I want a relevant job.

• Locked thread