Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

Police Academy III posted:

Also, what does a good Erlang development environment look like, is there an IDE or am I fine with just emacs?

I worked through LYSE (excellent book, buy it) this year using Sublime Text 2, the SublimErl plugin, and Rebar, and everything worked very nicely straight from ST2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
I know it was brought up on the mailing list, but is there a reason that rebar or a rebar like app isn't included in official releases?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
So I've got an existing OTP app that's using TCP sockets right now. I'd like to add in an HTTP front end to it. The two names I keep seeing come up are Yaws and MochiWeb (and of course raw httpd). MochiWeb seems simple enough, but as far as I can tell it uses its own build system. For httpd it looks like I'd be looking at mod_esi?

Does anyone have experience with these?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Oh yeah I guess I should actually look inside those makefiles. Webmachine actually seems to be what I'm looking for, so I guess I'll get started with that tonight.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
I've got a ram_copies Mnesia table on a node, and I'd now like it to be duplicated on another node as well. It looks like this is easy enough to do by connecting to the first node, and running mnesia:add_table_copy(mytable, Node2, ram_copies). My main concern is that I've got about 1.5GB in the table at any given time, and that data now needs to be moved to Node2. How does Erlang manage this? Will it saturate the network or degrade the connection between the nodes in any way?

edit: DO just announced private networking a couple hours after I made this post :angel:

Posting Principle fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Sep 10, 2013

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
I redid this in a way that is less dumb. The only thing I'm worse at than Erlang is design.

Posting Principle fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Sep 11, 2013

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Anyone going to the Toronto Erlang Factory Lite?

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp

I don't know how much I'd get out of it if I only mess around with erlang occasionally, but it's like $25 so whatever.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
The main impression I got from the Erlang Factory was that there is a big world of distributed Erlang that's not easily accessible for the hobbyist. :smith:

Also I'm stealing lpgauth's L macro for proplists.

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Yeah it's not super groundbreaking, just a really nice shorthand, especially for mochijson2 which decodes JSON as a {struct, proplist()} tuple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
Anyone going to the real-deal Erlang factory in SF? I may be able to con work into paying.

• Locked thread