Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
I'm going to roll in and ask a super-rookie question.

I'm trying to follow this:

http://egarson.blogspot.com.au/2008/03/real-erlang-hello-world.html

I eventually resorted to just copy-pasting his code, I'm running it from erlide in eclipse.

It compiles and runs without errors, but when you get to the point of going

Pid ! hello.

It does nothing. Nothing returns, the print statement doesn't fire, no crashes either. I'm stumped, what have I messed up?

edit: MononcQc, if you wrote "learn you some erlang", that's fantastic, that's where I found out about erlang!

Sir_Substance fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Feb 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
Hrm, seems you're right, it works fine when I run it from the command prompt. Well that's mighty infuriating, there's little point working in an IDE but compiling and running separately.

Is there a known fix, or alternatively another IDE for erlang that offers similar conveniences?

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
Erlang conveniently integrates with the windows shell, at least in the version I'm using. You can right click the .erl files and there's a compile option.

I don't know how much erlide is getting me, I'm literally 5 minutes into my first time using erlang. In general, I start with the assumption that IDE's are better. If nothing else, the eclipse run button and project management are super-handy, and there's always the chance of a proper breakpoints based debugger and memory interrogation, as well.

On the other hand, if the IDE is flat out broken and there are no alternatives...

Sir_Substance fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Feb 8, 2014

Sir_Substance
Dec 13, 2013
This language is hilarious.

I reserve judgment on useful until I know what the gently caress I'm doing, but it's funny as all hell to work with.

• Locked thread