Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

Mniot posted:

Yes. I've tried Homebrew on the Mac and various Linux packages and run into too many headaches with missing crypto libs or not finding the exact version I want. Kerl has always worked perfectly the first time and lets me swap between multiple versions at will. (YMMV)

If you want to keep trying it pre-packaged, though, try Erlang Solutions' packages: https://www.erlang-solutions.com/downloads/download-erlang-otp

This is months after your question was initially asked, but:

The first thing i tried with regards to multiple release management, but coming from a python virtualenv (e: likely misunderstood and not well understood, honestly) type environment situation i found the talent deficit's erlenv to be really handy when trying to manage various erl versions while learning Erlang whenever I've had something complain about erlang version.

Granted, I haven't ever put any erlang thing I've made into production and I don't know how that would work, and I'm also unfamiliar with the original ruby/rbenv environment; it's still worked 'good enough' for me with my stage in learning Erlang. I don't think I've tried kerl yet however, I will have to check it out.

Also, I really like erlang/learning about erlang but I really can't explain 'why' I guess right now; it just seems to 'click' with me more so than other languages and remains a fun language to think in for me. Thanks, this thread and MononcQc (and LYSE) for helping me find it :)

bobthenameless fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

leper khan posted:

I'd be happy to review it. I don't have any production experience with erlang though; I've just used it for hobby projects for a while.

Same here, I've been halfassedly looking around for an "erlang in production" read to prepare myself for a theoretical release of a hobby project.

hit me up on synirc/pm

Are there any other recommended reads on erlang in production?

bobthenameless
Jun 20, 2005

As far as I know, if you're wanting to do that probably the best way would be through a socket; but you have to consider that any erlang library you write would need to be running within the Erlang VM - it wouldn't be a compiled dll you can just use from within UE4 without also having the VM going.

I might be wrong about that, I'm far from experienced with erlang, and when I was looking at it a few months back i was looking going the ways you already mentioned.

Maybe there is a way to bundle it all into one thing; I just haven't run across anywhere talking about that.

• Locked thread