Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Post this in your blog.

E: Pressed post too soon:

What projects do people use Erlang in? By that I mean, what happened that made you go "I need Erlang for this!"?
Does it run as a server? Erlang is probably the best choice. It is a language built for writing servers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

Thanks for the replies.

I don't know why I was under the impression that Erlang couldn't do low latency stuff.

Glad to hear it does.
Goldman Sachs uses erlang in their high frequency trading platform.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
I use plain processes pretty often. Usually with spawn_monitor from a gen_server. Generally they are single task activities that would otherwise block the gen_server.

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005

Posting Principle posted:

Also I'm stealing lpgauth's L macro for proplists.
What is it?

Rapsey
Sep 29, 2005
Very few full time Erlang programmers use an IDE. There is simply no real need for it. There was a discussion about this very topic on the mailing list not too long ago.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/erlang-programming/t3jbMyKPLdw

• Locked thread