Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

J3ng4 posted:

Fuzz posted:

:siren::siren::siren: WE HAVE A MUMBLE SERVER NOW :siren::siren::siren:

Address: neckbeards.murmur.nfoservers.com
Port: 14150
Channel: DCUO - Punch Superman in the dick

Feel free to join up to arrange groups and crap, you're allowed to give out the info to others if you need to have pubs in your raid or whatever.

Server provided courtesy of VarrosAnon, who is a DC fan and hopefully will also play with us! Enjoy.

Steam Community Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DCUOgoons
Ingame Chat Channel: Join "Goonlimited"

Here are some players:

Villains: (League name: Goonlimited)
CD Repoman / Fartulence
Electric Slide
AWizardDidIt/Manstrocity
Billy Zero
Monopolytheist
Chillfactor Zero
Superbbutt / Massivebutt
Blutkrieg
Gauge Von
Nutzo Berzerko

Heroes: (League name: Goon Unlimited)
Ohmnivore
Jade Monsanto
Lucha Law
Berry Jam
Every Butt
Billy Jeans
Vim Drowsy

Want to just get to playing? - DC Universe Online is free to play, and for you PC users, can be found here (or here if you prefer Steam as a launcher) for immediate pick-up-and-gently caress-around action! You PS3 players are going to have to look around on PSN and I cannot give you an easy link, sorry. The game is not cross-platform compatible - you either play with other PC users, or other PS3 players. No overlap.

The longer summary: DCUO is an action game first, RPG second. The game has a large rock-paper-scissors system to its mechanics, and in its class roles: Controller beats Healer beats Tank beats Controller... in PvP, and there's a trinity of blocks and attacks that also result in knockdowns/bonus damage. Weapons can and should be comboed as much as possible, it's the key to regaining energy/keeping foes on lockdown. Because of this, some people swear by a controller for the game (hi PS3 players), but the PC simplifies this as much as possible by binding the attacks to LMB/RMB. It's quick to pick up and, barring a lot of PvPing or trying to crawl up the ranks at endgame, you can go through the entire thing without really needing most of the intricacies.'

Also, it's pre-New 52 reboot! Somehow both Lex Luthor and Batman travelling through time hosed everything up less than the Flash did. So if you still want to see the Question as a lady, or a chunky Amanda Waller, or other poo poo that's no longer "comics canon", this game is gonna be full of all sorts of crazy fanservice for you.

You can play as a hero or a villain! The game is pretty freeform after character creation, which is a simple process: pick a body type (9 per gender - sorry, you have to remember this is a PS3 title too, PC guys), travel power (hint: Flight or Acrobatics, I side the latter), a side, a mentor, a weapon, and a power, and you're good to go, barring costume tweaks. You will get more costume parts as you play, they come pretty fast as you progress. Do not be worried that the opening gear is kinda pedestrian, if you like the game, you will be able to make some zany poo poo as you level up. Any info on the powers/roles/weapons you want is in the second post, head down there now if you want some more min-maxy details. (You don't need them, however, respecs are nearly-free in this game for your points/weapon choices. Powerset'll cost you actual cash to tweak, though.)

Quick Start FAQ

Can I play this game without spending any real cash? - Yeah, it's totally doable. There's a rundown of the DLC in a post below this one if you want it, but the basic gist is playing to the level cap (30) is 100% doable free, and after that, most of the DLC is just streamlining the endgame grind a little bit/adding some new missions for you to do. Keep in mind, though, if you're a subscriber, you get everything for that $15 a month - all expansions, no cash cap, larger inventory/bank, the whole shebang, up until the month you stop paying.
How well can I solo in this game? I'm a lone wolf. - From 1-30, entirely doable. After you hit the level cap, though, you're going to have slooooooow going as a loner. To be fair, if you just hate large-group management, try doing some Duos or maybe an early Alert, these are totally doable without being super-optimized/needing large amounts of coordination. But it will become a misery, trust me. Even I'm doing more group content in the endgame and I can't stand relying on other players normally.
Can I boot the game up and make a league for all of us to play in? - Not unless you pay. Creating a guild is subscriber-only, but anyone can JOIN one if invited.
What are those roles you mentioned above, how do I pick those? - Your powerset chooses your role. Every class gets DPS as a freebie and you're locked into it until level 10, then whatever you chose will manifest as a toggleable choice for you from then on.
  • Healers are Sorcery, Nature, Electricity, and Celestial. They're the dudes who keep your HP topped off, shockingly. They take a heavy penalty to damage output to boost the everloving hell out of their restoration capability.
  • Controllers are Gadgets, Mental, Light, and Quantum. These dudes are the healers for MP, keeping you all able to toss out those powers with ease, as well as (shockingly enough) crowd-control experts. Light is super-weird among this branch, since most Controllers are longer-ranged characters, but Light-users get in and start beating the holy hell out of things with giant green/yellow boxing gloves or anvils or... yes, that's right, they're Green Lanterns. Go nuts.
  • Tanks are Fire, Ice, and Earth. Not shockingly, they draw enemy fire, take a lot less damage, and have powers devoted to keeping dudes on them so everyone else can do their jobs without being slaughtered. I don't think I need to explain "tank" to most of you.
How's PvP in this game? - The quick answer is "tiered in a couple of ways for balance". There are two versions of PvP: standard, which is your dude attacks someone else's dude, and gear plays a huge part in it, and "Legends" PvP, where you take on the role of a DC character (with their own locked stats/levels) and duke it out. Legends is a lot easier to get into since you get a free Legend (Robin for heroes, Harley Quinn for villains) as you're levelling, and playing some matches earns you credits to buy more.
Standard PvP relies on your skill first, and gear can make the edge in the fight (it is entirely possible, albeit harder, to PvP without high-level gear. You might want to buy the 'starter' PvP gear in your side's hub, though). Do not worry about picking PvE/PvP on character creation. You can switch at any time so long as you can get to the Watchtower/Hall of Doom. There is a device marked "Phase Shifter" which will let you go back and forth as much as you want.
I'm out of power all the time, what am I doing wrong? - You regain power in a fight by racking up combos. Keep in mind, though, that every time you use a power, the combo drops instantly. Don't just combo up to see a button glow and mash on it unless you want to be on the edge of empty constantly, spend a minute building it back up. Alternatively: chug a cola, they restore power as well as health.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
The Post Full Of A Bunch Of Resources and Guides

Nah I am not THAT hardcore into this game. However, there are people who are, and they tend to share a lot of their findings. A Very Important Thing To Remember: The DCUO Wiki on Wikia is really terrible in a lot of places, being unfinished and incomplete or out of date on random pages. Try not to go there unless absolutely nowhere else has what you're looking for. About all it has going for it is pictures of a couple of things. Hands-down, the best place to start looking is the "Oracle's Database" subforum on Sony's official forums for the game. The pinned thread at the top will link you to a lot of oft-used guides for class builds or things, and browsing a page or two of threads will probably answer a lot of poo poo you might want to know on plenty of topics.

Weapon Overview

If you want a super-extensive look at these, you want to go check this thread for damage numbers, and this one to know what stat bonuses weapons will net you, instead of this guide. I'm just going to go over the stuff you might want at character creation.

The big decision you need to make is "do I want a weapon that is set up for A Lot of Damage, or A Lot of Combos"? The former mean you'll be doing a lot of things with just your hands, the latter is going to restore your MP faster and let you keep tossing out fireballs/black holes/whatever the hell your powers are. That said, you also need to keep in mind that most of us are going to be inherently squishy when solo: it is definitely possible to get wrecked just by the sheer numbers against you more than anything else. Easy guide for range/combo/damage setups (note: I have not used some of these weapons before, so a couple are what buddies who play told me from their experience):

Bow: slower attacks mean lower combo speed, but high-damage for a ranged weapon.
Brawling: the melee equivalent of bow: slow, potent attacks. Simple to learn combos.
Dual Pistol: easy combo potential (20 hits if you just hold down the button, but keep in mind it WILL drop after 20 and need to be restarted) but utter piss for damage. The speedy regain option for ranged fighters.
Dual Wield: speedy melee and has the longest single-attack combo string in the game with Ultra Flurry. Damage adds up but is done by chipping away at enemies, nobody Dual-Wields to be the strongest fighter.
Hand Blast: ehhhhhhhhhhh-tier jack-of-all-trades weapon that wants to do everything.
Martial Arts: the balanced option for melee. Decent damage/speed/combo potential, but nothing amazing.
One-Handed: go with this for melee if you give no shits about any of this, it's solid
Rifle: hits hard, told it has a learning curve though, so expect to need a little practice on this one
Shield: has a nice knockdown combo at range that lets you be Captain America, and works decently in melee, probably one of my favorite weapons but is DLC-only
Staff: the quick version of Two-Handed, a melee weapon that racks up combo like mad down the tree and can stunlock mooks with ease. I use this on my healer and it's never let me down in terms of power regen vs. range and movement
Two-Handed: take Staff, replace it with a massive warhammer, so you're erring on the side of damage instead of combo speed. A lot of similar combos early on.

Powersets

I can only speak to the broader parts of this since I've only hit the level cap on one guy (I'm terrible with alts). If anyone wants to correct me down in the thread I'll edit info in for specific powers.

Healers

Healers are still in flux, given that Nature/Sorcery are the only launch powersets to not recieve a makeover yet. Keep this in mind.

Nature healers are a mass of damage/heals over time with a few skills that are second-or-two to launch Mass Heals. There's also the Shapeshifting tree for alternate forms but you are basically not going to go to these unless you're using Nature as a DPS role (most are locked to Damage form only or have no real benefit for healers). If you're willing to set up a third hotbar for it, the Insect form is amazing as a healer: changes your weapon to the utterly terrible hand blasters, but you become a Tank with healer powers and have a higher-than-usual power regen in the state.

Electricity healers are considered by some to be "the most fun healer to play" - all the DLC powersets were balanced towards being the "future" of skills in the game, and everything has been balanced around their designs ever since. The problem is that at the moment, this means Electric is the only "new" healer skillset in the game, and so it's kind of weird by comparison.

Controllers

I have actually never played a controller, I'm sorry. My assumption is they're more area-damage based versions of Healers in terms of frailty/the need to be On Your Role to back up a team, but I could be all sorts of wrong here. Sorry again. Currently the tree that has 4 powers in it to the others' 3, thanks to the new DLC adding a new Controller class.

Tanks

Fire and Ice are basically the yin/yang tanks, Fire doing more damage, Ice being more defensive. Earth is... I have never played an Earth tank. (via nehezir: "Earth tanking is largely built around flat percentage damage mitigation and shifting damage to your summonable pet.")

Damage Role

If you seriously want to play nothing but damage, uh... pick the powers that hit hard. Also you might be kind of an rear end, but this is coming from someone who's been the lone non-damage role on Alerts (HEY FUCKERS, I CAN'T HEAL YOU WHEN I HAVE 10MP LEFT SINCE NOBODY'S HELPING ME FILL THE BLUE BAR)

Marks/Currency

• :10bux: - Cash really only applies while you're going 1-30/when you need to repair your poo poo. If you're not utterly bombing out 100% of the time, you'll probably have a steady supply of this, even if you're capped as a free player. Handy tip for people who keep hitting the cap and never feel they have enough to spend: buy Soder Colas (whatever the best one for your level is), they stack in groups of 12 and resell for most of their value. Less cash you can spend beats more cash you can't.
  • :retrogames: - Station Cash/Loyalty Points (PC/PS3, respectively) are what you use in the actual-money cash shop (or, on PS3, at the "Loyalty Vendor" which has the same loot in it). On PC you get the points with cash/redeemable cards, or (and this last one is the only way you can get them on PS3 from what it sounds like?) by getting 500 a month if you have a Legendary subscription. If you guys can redeem point cards on PS3, tell me. I play on PC, I'm sorry I cannot check this.
  • - Marks of Legend are going to be the first Marks you see, unless you 100% skip PvP entirely. Get them in groups of 2 (and possibly more from a loot box) by winning a Legends PvP match. You used to get one pity-Mark just for showing up, but the recent PvP overhaul has tweaked this. They're used to purchase more Legends characters. They have obsoleted all prior Marks which used to be used for this, DLC characters or not (some DLCs had their own special currency for those characters) - if you have some of these still, from playing prior to the patch that changed this, they can be traded in at a higher rate for Marks of Legend.
  • - Marks of Valor, I believe, can also be earned pre-Lv30, but will be acquired by doing any type of arena-based PvP (ie, be it as "you" or in Legends PvP). They're used to buy the new "tiers" of PvP gear, weapons and armor both. There's a single "starter" set of those which only costs cash, and once you buy those, you'll be at PvP CR70, which will let you have access to T1 PvP gear. Buy that set (or most of it + mods? don't know if mods affect PvP CR like standard CR) and you can get T2, etc.
  • - Marks of Triumph are only obtainable* at Lv30, and will be your reward for doing goddamn near anything PvE-related: solo challenges, duos, alerts, raids, all of it, they'll pay out in Marks of Triumph until you get to (currently) the Tier 5 events. This is a good thing, because holy hell you are going to find uses for these. They can be used (along with minor amounts of cash) to purchase the "Iconic Battle Suits" (aka, how you are probably going to raise your CR to go from tier-to-tier) in your side's base, or upgrade your supercomputer in Home Turf, or... effectively, anything you're going to do that helps your progression from Lv30 onwards will cost you MoTs or be a random drop. Marks are a hell of an easier way to pull that off, though. Marks of Triumph have obsoleted every single prior Mark that was used for PvE gear. If you played earlier in the game's life and come back now, there's a machine that can convert any old Marks into MoTs for you at a pretty solid rate.
  • - Marks of Reality are the replacement for MoTs at Tier 5. They came out a week ago! Pretty much nothing but T5 "iconic" gear uses these. In fact, I think that as I write this, absolutely nothing BUT T5 iconic gear uses them.
  • :c::d::h::s: - Seasonal Tokens are used during... well, seasonal events. You'll get them for completing time-limited daily missions (which are open to everyone, no DLC needed) during roughly 2-3 week periods of the year. The launcher will tell you when these pop up. The current ones in the game occur at Valentine's Day**, St. Patrick's Day, "Spring" (late April into May), "Summer" (I actually don't know offhand when this one is), Halloween, and Christmas. These events are usually pretty simple to do and may be 100% ludicrous. St. Patrick's Day especially.

* I've heard some people claim they got these pre-Lv30 via the Vault, where they DO drop for a level-capped player. If they did, it was a glitch, they aren't supposed to. Don't go killing yourself trying to get a jump on the Mark-hunting.
** In 2013 the Valentine's Day event was "retired", but if you logged on during those 2-3 weeks you would just instantly be given the credit for all achievements/have a loot box deposited in your inventory that gave you every Valentine's style item, free of any work. As far as I know this is the only one to recieve this treatment so far, the other two we've hit in 2013 have gone on as normal, albeit now with new token rewards/base loot.

Handy Tips From Your Fellow Goons

• The function buttons (F1, F2, and F4, specifically - if F3 does something, I've never seen it) all open convenient menus you'll want. F1 is quick-emotes/comments, F2 is (note to Syrg - check this later), and F4 is the Social tab, where you can send quick tells or message/invite people around you. F4 is a huge thing if you're trying to start a group or are in a league or just wanna message the buddy who just logged on.
  • Y accesses your On Duty tab, which is how you find events. When the alerts open up go ahead and queue for them and just continue on normally until they open up, unless you plan to assemble a group and then queue up to circumvent matchmaking.
  • I accesses your inventory, yes, but the other tabs will tell you the amount of Marks of [anything] or other unorthodox currency you have (Prometheum Keys, Replay Badges, etc.) and your combat readiness (CR, which doesn't matter till you hit 30).
  • Tips for when you hit 30: whether or not you plan to PvP, seek out the PvP vendor in your faction's HQ. The armor abso-loving-lutely should not be worn on PvE content, as it will give you no defense whatsoever against non-player enemies, but there'll be a weapon vendor which is workable for both PvP/PvE until you get a good drop from some kind of mission to replace it.
  • Dailies are missions that rotate every day and give you a bonus amount of marks. Look for the missions with a star beside them in the On Duty tab. Aside from that, it's worth running each non-raid once a week if you can stand to, because the first time you do you'll get a "Weekly Bonus" (per mission, not tier!) which has additional items and Marks. (Raids are similar, but the reward's on a MONTHLY cooldown.)
  • As you gain Marks, begin purchasing your tier 1 armor, which is usually near the PvP vendor. It will be the only one that requires Marks (of Triumph, specifically), but doesn't have a CR requirement.
  • You get additional skill points for doing feats, and these are extremely useful. Ideally you will have about 30 when you hit 30, and only 15 will come from leveling. Gather investigations, collect clothing styles, do races, etc. to fill them out. Worth checking these as you gain levels because you may be able to fulfill some older ones with ease after a few level boost. (The "Solo" category especially.)
  • Repair your poo poo after every mission. You do this at most (but not all) vendors. You'll see a little cracked shield icon beneath the minimap when something goes below 30%, and if it breaks fully it's both going to cost shitloads more to repair AND give you absolutely no stat bonuses. If your WEAPON breaks, you will literally be trying to punch things with your ineffective bare hands. Don't let your poo poo break.
  • If you get a Promethium Lockbox, wait until 30 to open it, because then it might have marks.
  • You are almost guaranteed to be unable to solo the missions that open up on your journal when you hit 30. In fact, some of the triggers are actually broken and will give you briefings or quests to do things a tier or two above you (making them IMPOSSIBLE to do for a bit). Just gear up a bit with content you find yourself able to tackle and come back to them.

Other Stuff

• Looking for collectables/Briefings/etc.? You want the maps on this site, they update fast as gently caress after every patch hits the test servers.
  • Trying to find a specific piece of armor (or, to a lesser degree, base loot)? Handy guide, and I'm a firm believer in contributing to it where you can just to beef the thing up. It's spotty in places.
  • find where the site that listed similar guides/pics of all the base loot was again, I somehow lost it in my mass of tabs

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Sep 21, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
DLC/Cash Shop FAQ

The game has three "tiers" of player. Here is a convenient chart explaining them. It's simpler than anything I could write up here.

DLC expansions in DCUO all cost $10 to own permanently, and a few times during the year they'll go on sale for $5 (or can be bought for "half-price" if you redeem a Station Cash points card during a double/triple points weekend). (Huge note: You can no longer purchase expansions via Station Cash because of the prior mentioned note. You will need to grab them via credit card in the marketplace, or off of Steam, where you'll get a "CD Key" to enter in-game and claim the expansion for your account. It's likely there will still be half-price sales via Steam or in the shop, though.)
Let's just hit these in order: I'm gonna go over what each DLC nets you, and reasons you might want to buy it. (Note: I want to say a couple of PvP arenas are also locked behind some DLC but I forget offhand which was from what pack. I will edit that in once I find a drat listing and am not doing it from memory.)

Fight for the Light
Level/CR Requirement: CR53 for the duo/Coast City, CR43 for the other alerts, none for the new powerset

Buy this DLC if you want:
  • A new Controller powerset (Light) that's more close-combat than anything else
  • To fight against Lantern mythos enemies who aren't just GLs/Sinestro Corps
  • To unlock a new Tier 3 Duo (Ferris Aircraft) two Tier 2 Alerts (STAR Labs Research Facility, Oan Sciencells), and a Tier 3 Alert (Coast City)

Lightning Strikes
Level/CR Requirement: CR 43 for the duo, CR53 to enter Central City, none for the new powerset

• A new Healer powerset (Electric)
  • To head to (a rather underwhelming) replica of Central City, the Flash's home city
  • To unlock a new Tier 2 Duo (Flashpoint - no it has NOTHING TO DO with the comic storyline of the same name/New 52 reboot)
  • If you want an easier time bridging the Tier 3 > Tier 4 leap: Central City has vendors that sell "Tier 2.5" gear which will boost your CR quite a bit, and gives you a new set of bounties/daily missions that'll raise your Mark of Triumph gain massively compared to the prior ones

The Battle for Earth
Level/CR Requirement: CR43 for the duos, CR53 for the alert, CR70 for the raids, none for the new powerset

• A new Tank powerset (Earth)
  • To lead a massive army of beastmen/Amazons into battle against Brainiac
  • To unlock virtually all of the T2 Duos (3/4 of them are in this DLC), which are fast as hell to do, and a T3 alert, all taking place within the Brainiac bottles around South Gotham
  • A pair of raids that conclude(?) the Brainiac story arc from the game for Tier 4 players, which were once upon a time "the endgame" of DCUO
  • If you want an easier time bridging the Tier 2 > Tier 3 leap: South Gotham will now have a set of daily missions that give you a lot of Marks of Triumph for the level (making buying the T2 gear much quicker), and one of those missions (Sub-Avatars) is almost guaranteed to drop a potent-for-the-tier piece of gear for you so long as you participate in bringing it down. (Major tip: do not be grouped for this. It seems that everyone gets one, but if you're in a group, there will just be one drop for you and you'll all have to roll for it.) Similarly, T2 duos. Seriously, this pack is basically a huge boost to Tier 2 players looking to make it further.

The Last Laugh
Level/CR Requirement: CR53 for the duo, none for the new weapon/PvP avatars

• A new weapon (Shield)
  • PvP. Seriously, this entire pack, sans the T3 Duo "Shady Nightclub", is PvP focused, with new Legends avatars and a variety of arenas. If you don't PvP, you'd better wait for a sale on this one, as all it's gonna do for you is give you the Shield and a one-time quest for 50 Marks of Triumph if you complete the duo.

Hand of Fate
Level/CR Requirement: CR70 for all Operations, none for the new PvP avatars

• New gear for your trinket slot (Compartment trinkets)
  • New "Operations", one an Alert, the other two Raids. All are Tier 4 content. As far as I know, these were the debuts of DLC content being seperate for Heroes/Villains, you get seperate missions on each side.
  • New Legends avatars for PvP.

Home Turf
Level/CR Requirement: CR70 for all new dailies, Lv12 for the bases (although you get a basic base without the expansion - mods are DLC locked)

• To PvP. Seriously, the gear mods this expansion introduced are a loving gamechanger for PvP content.
  • A bunch of T4 dailies revolving around Steelworks and Stryker's Island, including new bounties and solo missions.
  • A base/lair to call your own, which contains a supercomputer that can be upgraded with Marks of Triumph to dispense new mods for gear, call in supply drops for you and allies/orbital laser strikes on enemies, Sidekicks/Henchmen to summon as backup in a brawl... the list goes on, seriously, the computer in Home Turf is loving nuts in what it gives you so long as you have the Marks to get it there. (There are 4 levels of cost: first is 25, then 125, then 625, and finally 3125. Note you have to buy each level per boost: the mods cost, then the henchmen, then supplies, then orbital strike... etc.)

Origin Crisis
Level/CR Requirement: CR84 for the solos/alerts, CR86 for the raids

• A new Controller powerset (Quantum)
  • The current "endgame" content
  • A council of Batmen/Lex Luthors to side with and fight alongside
  • Two new solo missions which are the first "Iconic" missions in the game (where you play as actual DC characters instead of your character), and a pair of Alerts/pair of Raids dealing with the game's continuing story.
  • No, but really, there are a shitload of Batmen and Lexes in this.

Sons of Trigon
Level/CR Requirement: CR84 for the new hub, CR86 for the duos/alert

• A new Healer powerset (Celestial)
  • More "endgame" content/Marks of Reality, now in non-raid form
  • Another Central City-like hub (Gotham Wastelands)
  • More Legends characters (Cheetah/Donna Troy. Yeah, Donna Troy, I didn't make that up.)
  • "The Tunnel of Lust"

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Sep 21, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Okay, that's all, now to go back and tweak/edit poo poo into the posts.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
>central city gear is considered tier 2.5
>earth tanking is largely built around flat percentage damage mitigation and shifting damage to your summonable pet
that's all I have to add atm.

nehezir fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 20, 2013

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have to emphasize that this game is very friendly towards people who don't want to spend money.

If you don't spend money you lose:

-Earth, Electricity, Lantern, and Quantum powersets (that still leaves like eight powersets or something)
-Shield weapon
-Access to everything post CR-43 (which takes a long time to get to)

As well, you can only visit the Vault once a week (this doesn't really matter), your maximum cash is set to $1,500 (this also doesn't really matter), and a smaller bank (I have yet to find anything worth banking at CR 57).

If you spend ANY real world money at all, you get bumped up to $2,000, your bank increases in size, and you can visit the Vault once every three days on each character. You also get whatever you bought for DLC, of course.

DCUO stuff goes on sale on Steam for 50% off every now and then, like most games. I would bet dollars to donuts there will be a DCUO day during the summer sale, or before then.

Subscribed players get automatic access to all DLC and "promethium lockbox" drops (bonus items). At $15 a month it is a pretty expensive subscription.

Anyway, you are not really gimped at all if you don't spend money, compared to some games that rub that in your face.

Why else should I play this game?
-Animated series voice actors doing a lot of voicework, in case you hate that in most MMOs, no one really talks.

-Game is extremely casual, you won't get left behind if you don't want to devote eight hours a day to it.

-Seriously, respecs are for all intents and purposes free.

-Mix and match your clothing to create the look you want at any time, regardless of what you are actually wearing.

Name Change fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 20, 2013

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008
If you're not going to subscribe buying some DLC is a pretty good idea. In particular the Battle For Earth DLC makes post level cap character gearing much easier because of sub-avatars which drop CR52 gear.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Why the hell Naz plays this random junk.
>solid, well-structured end-game dungeons and easy-to-understand gear progression. seriously, you just do dungeons, get loot/marks, spend marks at vendors, get gear, occasionally farm bits to make mods(like gemming in WoW) and that's about the bulk of it. raiding is a ton of fun with a good group or even a decent one.

>scales deliciously with low-end computers. seriously, I've been juggling this, Aion, and Tera. tera is a resource HOOOOOOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGGGGGGG and looks terrible on anything other than above average. DCUO? looks just as good as the ps3 release on my honestly a little dated gaming laptop. it's medium setting is actually quite adequate.

note: this does not mean you'll have the same experience with a toaster you bought at walmart. there is dated...and then there is antique or outright flimsy.

>not a korean grindfest filled with masochistic bullshit mechanics. no stupid reinforcement mechanic that nukes your gear. no practically mandatory player economy bullshit. none of that. after the last 3 years I've spent playing their crappy MMO's, I am GLAD to be playing this. all of the meat and satisfaction of raiding in a group multiplayer environment, and significantly less of the arbitrary RNG being shoved down my throat to detonate my equipment and force me to farm 100000000000 more hell modes to get a decent sword worth trying my luck to not detonate and not have poverty-tier damage.

GOD I love this game.

and that's why the hell Naz plays this random junk.

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

I'm getting the itch to play this again. Good job on the new thread Syrg.

Goonlimited is still around right? I want to try that quantum powerset.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

yeah. it's still around.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Do they not have a /who function in this or is it just impossible to find?

PuttyKnife
Jan 2, 2006

Despair brings the puttyknife down.
I keep hoping someone will post a list of current players in the league.

If you all play heroes, I have been leveling a hero character and made a league for goons there...but no one has joined yet!

PVP PC Heroes.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The old Goon Patrol is still around too. I probably have something that can invite to it.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Aphrodite posted:

Do they not have a /who function in this or is it just impossible to find?

I don't think so. Unfortunately the social tools and ui seem really bad in this game. You can technically add people to your friend list by hitting f4 and navigating to it, but it's really awkward and might even be saved per character. I don't know if they just didn't do enough localization for the additional PC functions or what.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
A bunch of us are still around in Goonlimited, obviously.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yeah, but that's villain side.

Larz2021
Feb 2, 2001
Great job on the new thread Syrg! I keep this game in my rotation and the new DLC's got me playing again. So much fun :)

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah, but that's villain side.

Not Dracula posted:

If you all play heroes, I have been leveling a hero character and made a league for goons there...but no one has joined yet!

PVP PC Heroes.

I'm just gonna find myself a full on pve guild for my hero character. I'll let you guys know if I find one.

graynull posted:

I don't think so. Unfortunately the social tools and ui seem really bad in this game. You can technically add people to your friend list by hitting f4 and navigating to it, but it's really awkward and might even be saved per character. I don't know if they just didn't do enough localization for the additional PC functions or what.

it's planned to have the UI(most notably the guild UI) updated in a DLC pack, but I don't know how far down the road that is.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Super nice OP! Lots of cool stuff in there. I will say if you have an Xbox360 / PS3 controller I would suggest plugging it in and giving it a go. It takes a bit to get used to but drat is it fun (also the UI makes more sense).

You can totally play this game for free if you just want to punch some heroes in the dick with us casually. The expansions are worth it, and Station Cash gives out double points often enough to pickup 2 packs (plus Steam sales, etc).

Steam Community Group::http://steamcommunity.com/groups/DCUOgoons

Our league is Goonlimited(Villain side) and every rank has the ability to invite. We don't have Leader access but everything else is open.

Maybe we can squeeze this into the OP?

Here are some players:

Villains:
CD Repoman / Fartulence
Electric Slide
AWizardDidIt/Manstrocity
Billy Zero
Monopolytheist
Chillfactor Zero
Superbbutt / Massivebutt
Blutkrieg
Gauge Von

Heroes:
Ohmnivore
Jade Monsanto
Lucha Law
Berry Jam
Every Butt

J3ng4 fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 20, 2013

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

what happened to leader?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
This sounds like a great way to winnow away time on break. Any obvious new dude traps to look out for?

Ajax
Mar 16, 2004

Aunt Petunia's Girdle!
What's happening?
Plectrum Spectrum is no more, now Jade Monsanto.

Also Villain-wise im I'm Gauge Von.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

nehezir posted:

what happened to leader?

I forget who the Leader was but I haven't seen them on in forever. Either way we can currently do anything a leader can do with the access we have.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I could make a guild and pass it to an voted leader if the community wishes it.

Moreau
Jul 26, 2009

Decided to get back into this. Forgot how annoying that initial tutorial is! Playing Tallis Keeton on Villainside, if theres any invites available

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

and a smaller bank (I have yet to find anything worth banking at CR 57).

Clearly you are not obsessive about crafting like I am. (Although I could probably dump a couple of those trinkets, it's true.)

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Not Dracula posted:

PVP PC Heroes.

Gimme the name of it and I'll add it to the OP. (Unless "PVP PC Heroes" is the name of the guild.)

I also fixed up typos, added info on the various types of currency, added the villain guild info (thanks, J3ng4!), and edited in some of the info y'all pointed out I hosed up/didn't know.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Moreau posted:

Decided to get back into this. Forgot how annoying that initial tutorial is! Playing Tallis Keeton on Villainside, if theres any invites available

message manstrocity. I'm online now. if I don't respond immediately, I'm just raiding. usually have enough time between pulls to at least toss and invite and say hello.

Kikilupo
Apr 3, 2005
Whelp, after spending a week messing around with builds and trying to decide what I want to play I made a staff/electricity guy. Holy crap, this is what I was looking for

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

nehezir posted:

what happened to leader?

I was the leader, for the only reason that I had legendary status.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
This game is kinda cool if a bit dated on the character models the landscape is pretty and overall looks better than I expected. The controls are awkward as hell though, hold rmb then hold it again? Just a casualty of consoles I guess but is there any way to rebind the specific attacks (not RMB itself)?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Demerzel posted:

This game is kinda cool if a bit dated on the character models the landscape is pretty and overall looks better than I expected. The controls are awkward as hell though, hold rmb then hold it again? Just a casualty of consoles I guess but is there any way to rebind the specific attacks (not RMB itself)?
it's just a combination of taps and holds. it's pretty simple and the game isn't really using the mouse for anything else most of the time.

Kikilupo posted:

Whelp, after spending a week messing around with builds and trying to decide what I want to play I made a staff/electricity guy. Holy crap, this is what I was looking for

I was actually thinking of suggesting that last night after I started gearing up my electricity guy.

mallratcal posted:

I was the leader, for the only reason that I had legendary status.

oh? are you still any sort of active? if not, could we shift leader to someone? the founder has to be legendary, but anyone can lead if passed. I threw my friend my hero guild so he could hold the name for me. I just think it's important that a leader be someone active.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

A few notes on the OP:

-I grouped with some guys for Sub-Avatars recently and we all got the drops individually and didn't have to roll for it. I was surprised, I guess they changed that at some point.

-All PVP arenas except for Lair Battles no longer require DLC due to the PVP revamp. The only purpose of the Last Laugh now is the duo, the shield and the Legends characters, as the old PVP gear is no longer DLC restricted either. If I can get John Stewart by the time my sub runs out I will never need to buy The Last Laugh. :cool:

-The PVP marks are, for whatever ridiculous reason, going to change every PVP season. In the next game update in June, Marks of Valor will become obsolete, a new set of marks will be introduced and all the current PVP gear goes down one. This season's Tier 4 gear becomes Tier 3, Tier 3 becomes Tier 2, etc. It might be worth noting that Marks of Valor aren't a very permanent thing.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
Mother of god, really? Well, I guess I can at least be glad they're trying to keep things mobile instead of letting folks stagnate at the top, I suppose.

The Last Laugh thing is funny as hell though. (And I'm glad Sub-Avatars were changed that way, that seemed buggy to me.)

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

yeah. I generally support pvp season resets.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I'll probably be Legendary by the end of the month, simply because this game is fun and I already subscribe to PS2, so I might as well just get an Access Pass.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Am I gimping myself horribly if I pick up, say, Two-Handed/Electricity? I know healers are generally supposed to go for fast-hitting combo builders, but I love the strong "smash" feeling of Two-Handed.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I use Staff on my main healer, and Two-Handed really is just a slower Staff in a lot of ways save its final combo skills. If you want to make the weapon damage/power regen tradeoff that a slower weapon will give, go nuts.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Vermain posted:

Am I gimping myself horribly if I pick up, say, Two-Handed/Electricity? I know healers are generally supposed to go for fast-hitting combo builders, but I love the strong "smash" feeling of Two-Handed.

Slower weapons have easier-to-reach 'tiers' of energy regen, so attack speed shouldn't be an issue when it comes to gaining back power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Vermain posted:

shouldn't really hurt you. hell, just cap out and put points into a second weapon.

PROBLEM SOLVED.

• Locked thread