Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Only the spergiest will do.
This game is surprisingly decent if a bit unwieldy to start.

Do the 'roles' only come into play in groups or is there some way to switch stances to DPS or Heal or whatever when you're solo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Demerzel posted:

This game is surprisingly decent if a bit unwieldy to start.

Do the 'roles' only come into play in groups or is there some way to switch stances to DPS or Heal or whatever when you're solo?

Hit T (dunno the controller command) when you're level 10 or up. You can't switch out of DPS until Lv10.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

As a Controller it used to be better to go Control when you get the opportunity, since it had no damage reduction while the other 2 roles did. I don't know if that's still the case.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Aphrodite posted:

As a Controller it used to be better to go Control when you get the opportunity, since it had no damage reduction while the other 2 roles did. I don't know if that's still the case.

It pretty much is.

I just pimped out my Electric Healer to look like the Guyver. It's pretty awesome.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

Welp, I just hit a brick wall on Cyborg. Even when I do the stuff right he heals back half his health if I don't manage to get over there to interrupt him and having no self-heals of my own plus he can range me just as hard I am not sure what to do as a Sorc/Handblast who has points in the Fury right now. I think I could just barely beat him if it weren't for that heal but it's really drat close, it's frustrating because I literally walked through Starfire and Donna up top and I'm not sure what I'm doing so wrong now except he can range just as much as me (which might be it).

Incidentally it is weird to think of Teen Titans as one of DC's big IPs but both this and Injustice prominently feature them. I guess it's good they got some new blood since Supes and Batman are getting a bit old but it's bizarre that they're out of a kid's cartoon.

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 03:11 on May 21, 2013

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF

Demerzel posted:

Incidentally it is weird to think of Teen Titans as one of DC's big IPs but both this and Injustice prominently feature them. I guess it's good they got some new blood since Supes and Batman are getting a bit old but it's bizarre that they're out of a kid's cartoon.

They, uh. They aren't. They came from the 80s, in their own comic.

Sintor
Jul 23, 2007

Syrg Sapphire posted:

They, uh. They aren't. They came from the 80s, in their own comic.

Yeah, Slade (Deathstroke) doesn't exactly get his statutory rape on in the cartoon with Terra, nor does she kill herself in it, etc.

All that joy aside, do you need Home Turf while leveling/pvp'ing while leveling or can it wait till 30? I'm not sure exactly what the gear mods are that it brought to the table as I haven't played in a year or so.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time

Demerzel posted:

Welp, I just hit a brick wall on Cyborg. Even when I do the stuff right he heals back half his health if I don't manage to get over there to interrupt him and having no self-heals of my own plus he can range me just as hard I am not sure what to do as a Sorc/Handblast who has points in the Fury right now. I think I could just barely beat him if it weren't for that heal but it's really drat close, it's frustrating because I literally walked through Starfire and Donna up top and I'm not sure what I'm doing so wrong now except he can range just as much as me (which might be it).

This one always gets me and usually I come back to it after a level up or two depending upon my class. The fight after that is a bit tougher. Best advice is block often and burst when you can.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Are there any tips to learning the Rock-Paper-Scissors of combat? I know they introduce you to how it works early on, but I have a hard time sometimes telling if an enemy is using an interruptable ranged skill or just plinking me with single shots. Sometimes it's just hard to see the animations they are doing while spraying mayhem everywhere.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Demerzel posted:

This may seem a ridiculous question in retrospect, but you're popping Soder Colas, right?

If it really feels too tough, just go do some of the other missions and come back when you're a higher level. Missions don't scale with your level.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Actually, if you're struggling a lot with missions, just do missions that are below you in level (they become exponentially easier), or look up a guide for your power set.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

How the hell do you get the Gunslinger chest piece now?

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Also use the barrels, they are a lifesaver!

To all those worrying about weapons, just try some. Respecs are pretty much free and it's worth playing with all of them to get a good feel. You do so at the Hall of Doom next to the mailboxes. While leveling up you make sure to buy weapons from the Safe house vendors. Some of them carry just about every weapon so you can try them out.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

J3ng4 posted:

Also use the barrels, they are a lifesaver!

To all those worrying about weapons, just try some. Respecs are pretty much free and it's worth playing with all of them to get a good feel. You do so at the Hall of Doom next to the mailboxes. While leveling up you make sure to buy weapons from the Safe house vendors. Some of them carry just about every weapon so you can try them out.

OK real talk time: Back in the olden days this game didn't teach you jack poo poo about anything before you hit level 30. I was actually surprised last week to discover when I rolled a new guy that it makes you learn blocking and block-breaking, etc. in the opening mission now. That's a completely new section and I have no idea when they added it.

Before the revamp of the mobs (they now do combo attacks, etc.) there was really nothing you had to know 1-29 at all. Blocking was totally unnecessary, and there was exactly one duo/solo instance where barrels were actually important (that still may be the case). You really still have nothing you need to learn 1-29, the mobs just take slightly longer to kill. Life is basically "spam one power combo, then spam one weapon attack combo," at least as a fire tank. That only started to change around CR 43 for me.

The effect of this is that the game is really casual, but when you first hit 30, the alert PUGs are loving awful because no one knows how to play their role at all, everyone wants to play DPS, and the alerts start to require some amount of actual teamwork. I had many horrible Smallville runs.

Anyway, you will probably level faster if you do quests below your level. The Teen Titans/Raven solo instance was horrible at the recommended level two years ago and it's horrible today.

When you hit 30, your PVE life should basically be queuing for duos, alerts, and eventually raids using the On Duty tab. You earn marks of triumph for that, which buy you higher-tier gear (all those ridiculous-looking power armor sets in the basements of the Hall of Doom). Occasionally other stuff will drop during instances, but it's only very rarely as good as the tier collections. Also, the drops will mostly be back pieces that only healers can use, which is infuriating. You can buy a few other things with marks of triumph, including bonuses from your base.

It helps to look up a guide just so you know how you are supposed to gear for a given role (what bonuses matter). If you want to tank, you don't really want +damage if you have to make a choice between that and +defense.

I take breaks from instances to go get investigation sets (green and blue question marks) that I neglected to hunt down the first time through, maybe picking up some extra style sets and feats while I'm at it, and getting exobits during overland travel (gem ingredients, among other things).

I could also break up my time by doing races, but I kinda hate those despite that they would give me a lot of feat points. Doing all the feats you can is fairly important, since every 100 points you get a skill point, which lets you add passive bonuses once you've maxed out a weapon tree. I have 42 points, which is actually not considered many (poopsockers basically say you are mostly done when you have something like 109). Generally, my gear has been far more important than my skill points.

This keeps me busy. I do absolutely no PVP whatsoever, mostly because I don't want to spend time building that up too (PVE and PVP gear tiers are separate, which is loving dumb, honestly). I could do Legends PVP, which doesn't rely on my gear, but I generally hate playing "real" characters. If I ever finish the PVE side (hint: I will never play enough to do this before another xpack comes out) I might *start* the PVP tree.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
actually, by the time you hit t3 alerts, the bulk of those terrible randoms get flushed out.

I basically skip the t2 alerts for oolong and hive precisely because it's where I almost never get a good group. then again...we're on villain side. hero has alot more pure pve'ers and by association, alot more horrible pve'ers.

also, t3 alerts drop blue gear that is superior to both t2 gear(greatly) and t2.5 gear(slightly) from central city.

nehezir fucked around with this message at 13:10 on May 21, 2013

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
Would it be possible to recreate this guy in game?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Krakatoah posted:

I don't know of such a head, though there might be one. The rest would be easy.

Oh, and if there's one thing that actually sucks about this game, it's that your feat/style unlocks aren't shared across characters unless it's a paid item.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I don't know of such a head, though there might be one. The rest would be easy.

Oh, and if there's one thing that actually sucks about this game, it's that your feat/style unlocks aren't shared across characters unless it's a paid item.

Is that true of all paid items? I got the Mecha back piece like a year ago and it's only on one guy... could I put in a ticket to have it unlocked on everyone? Because that would be awesome.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Is it not in your Claim Items section?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

Is that true of all paid items? I got the Mecha back piece like a year ago and it's only on one guy... could I put in a ticket to have it unlocked on everyone? Because that would be awesome.

I don't know, I just know that when I look on the shop they go "this item unlocks on all characters."

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Is it not in your Claim Items section?

I don't even know where that is... I thought they just email you the item.

I don't know, I just know that when I look on the shop they go "this item unlocks on all characters."

I think back then that item didn't say that on it... is it now standard for digs to unlock on everyone like in PS2, or are there still cosmetic items that will unlock on only one character? Because if it's the latter, what a loving ripoff.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Fuzz posted:

Go to the Marketplace Icon and at the top of the screen there should be a "Claim" button.

Not my picture:

Rylek
Feb 13, 2009

Rage is the only freedom left me.
Fuzz go to the marketplace and click on the Redeem/Claim button at the top. That is where all your purchases should be listed, and you can click on them to add the item to your inventory.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that all the items you purchased could be used by every character you ever make. I feel like SOE has done a really good job with the DCUO cash shop. I don't feel dirty by paying a couple bucks to unlock a cool skin, where in NWN I get charged 10.00 for a bag. :3:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The only problem is that there's not a whole lot of content in it.

Give me cool costumes to buy, SOE.

Fuzz posted:

The one who buys it gets the item, the others get it in item claim.

Demerzel
Sep 11, 2001

BrianWilly posted:

This may seem a ridiculous question in retrospect, but you're popping Soder Colas, right?

Nope! I never even touched consumables. 300 hp wasn't a lot but it was enough to get me through it. I still am not sure why sometimes my charged leap melee would interrupt and other times it didn't but I didn't have any problems with anyone else so thanks!

Also I was just wandering around and saw a "Distressed Citizen" at the top of a building with a use icon over him, so I of course investigated. Pushed him off, like a proper villain. This game could be the casual game I occasionally come back to forever I've been looking for. I just wish some of the powers felt more consistent, I still don't like any of them really but Handblast/Sorcery/Flying is cool enough on a demonic girl.

My biggest complaint is the characters look like pureed poo poo, I am simply amazed this game is only 2 years old and everything else looks good yet they skimped on the most important thing in an MMO. Those models wouldn't be out of place in a PS2 game :mad:

Demerzel fucked around with this message at 18:12 on May 21, 2013

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

You still limited to a laughable 3 colors total in character creation or have they upped that?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

doctor 7 posted:

You still limited to a laughable 3 colors total in character creation or have they upped that?

Yup, you got 3 costume colors. It's limiting in a certain sense but it sort of enforces a "super-hero" look on everyone. Most comic characters have an obvious three-color code.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Of course they never really account for accessories.

Like your weapons need to fit your color scheme, when that can be a bit silly for a gun. Or if your character has a jetpack or some other piece of technology that might not necessarily be colored to your costume.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Of course they never really account for accessories.

Like your weapons need to fit your color scheme, when that can be a bit silly for a gun. Or if your character has a jetpack or some other piece of technology that might not necessarily be colored to your costume.

For a long time on my main I got along using only two of my three available color slots. Black and red strikes an imposing figure.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Fuzz posted:

How the hell do you get the Gunslinger chest piece now?

Is it no longer the ring war vendor?

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Krakatoah posted:

eeeeeeeh...biggest issue is the white streak down the middle and the head. the head has something arguably similar in villain pvp gear, but that slot would be taken by the formal hat. you'd need to pick between the two.

you could substitute the streak for an undershirt and maybe get away with it.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Yup, you got 3 costume colors. It's limiting in a certain sense but it sort of enforces a "super-hero" look on everyone. Most comic characters have an obvious three-color code.

Indeed, most do have three primary colours. However, most have more than that in total. I'm sure most people would stay to three primary colours, but, as mentioned, it would be nice to be able to make a couple of extra bibbles and bobbles different colours. Especially weapons and such. It shouldn't be that hard, City of Heroes had that years ago.

Mimsy
Oct 25, 2008

Krakatoah posted:

As far as I am aware there is neither a face or head item style that has tentacles, and if there was it'd probably be a head style so you wouldn't be able to have it and a tophat at the same time.

Zagposting
Nov 18, 2012

Don't put points into luck, they said.

It's a useless stat, they said.
This game is...refreshing. I can't really put my thumb on it. The outside quests are whatever, but I really dig the instanced missions at the end of each arc. The voice acting is really good, too. I actually bought this game at release and played it for maybe a couple of weeks before dropping it. I guess a couple of years of polish will do a game good. I had 1000 spacebux, so I picked up the DLC with the Earth powerset and made a Dual Guns/Earth villain. Pew pew and stomp stomp and all of that. I can see myself playing this to endgame, just to see all of the content. Then maybe a couple of DLC for PvE or PvP depending on how both look.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Re-Downloading this. Didn't realize that Station Pass holders get all the extra DLC n stuff. Probably gonna roll a new character since I don't remember how to play at all.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Is there a way to color customize power effects? I'm pretty sure I saw someone fighting with hand blasts that were orange rather than the blue you start with.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Mover posted:

Is there a way to color customize power effects? I'm pretty sure I saw someone fighting with hand blasts that were orange rather than the blue you start with.

Hand Blast color is based on your power color.

He uses fire.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
I believe the weapon effects are linked to your powerset? I know all of my long-range attacks or heavy strikes have a green, thorny animation on them due to being Nature.

Future Son
Mar 29, 2007
I'm from the future. I'm your son!
I just got back into this a couple nights ago. Seems like a lot has changed in a year. Green items with higher CR than my T2.5, and what are the Orange/Yellow items from?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I may be on less until the end of the month. I'm at my brother's place for a while.

Future Son posted:

I just got back into this a couple nights ago. Seems like a lot has changed in a year. Green items with higher CR than my T2.5, and what are the Orange/Yellow items from?

the greens are just intermediate gear for t4 gear. as for the orange/yellow, those come from promethium lockboxes.

• Locked thread