Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The goons who were around when the devs decided to have trash mobs start doing combo moves can certainly tell you that the DCUO forum crowd is no better than that of any other MMO board, and they would probably have a few choice things to say about the devs, too. I don't think the change made much difference in the overall game in the end, even though the intent was to make the game a little more challenging and not let you sleep through the game's combat system.

This kind of ignores a couple things:

1) Giving, for instance, villains a harder time fighting rookie cops is an annoying and slightly comical experience. Now there are police at every level in the force that do backflips with their batons and John Woo slides with their pistols, as well as escaped Lexcorps psychopaths who also know how to do backflips.

2) You very rarely feel super-powered in this game. Unless you are over-leveled or a tank, you cannot really handle more than 2-3 mobs of your CR very easily at any level of play. You have to be really over-geared if you're not a DPS to just shove overworld trash mobs out of your path without at least a short fight.

I'm running a character who has picked fights with Doomsday, Power Girl, Superman, Supergirl, all of the different Lantern groups at once, Batman, and Robobatman, to name a few. I foil another scheme by Brainiac--essentially the Dark God of Pure Intellect--hourly. At some point I should just be able to scare away the Gotham PD so that they don't even aggro on me, like low-level mobs in WoW.

"But no," say the devs and a bunch of poopsockers who would be offended if the game ever became easier or more convenient in any way whatsoever. I think some of the things that got said during that whole debacle made at least a couple of goons quit the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

Stalwart Guardian of the Lewd
<---can usually 3v1 normal mobs on the overworld in troll stance.

what I can't take on are dungeon/raid mobs in multiples and as an MMO...I really feel I shouldn't be able to. because most games that do let you become soloist crap in my experience and I don't want to go back to that crap.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

3 isn't a lot.

You could take 5 or 6 at launch.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I have yet to find a PUG that can handle any of the FoS alert/raid content beyond maybe Super Girl. The other day I had a Batcave raid that couldn't handle the Zeta miniboss even though most of us were way over-geared for it. Why? Because they weren't intelligent enough to attack the healer trash mobs, even after being told about 20 times. It was me and one other person attacking them most of the time, so it took us five times as long as necessary to kill it. Brother Eye was a total loving disaster, naturally.

People get so used to just doing their attack combo and going on autopilot that they can't handle any combat that requires them to think. I often join PUGs that can't handle the T1 version of the first boss in the moonbase because he has an autokill bubble attack. That being the case, FoS is totally impossible for these people. 1-2 people always leave after every wipe, too, so if you want to run an FoS pickup group you may want to block out two hours.

Essentially we need to get serious about gooning up the endgame alerts/raids. The micro in this game is generally not hard at all, people flabbergast me.

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

Considering that most of the playerbase comes form the PS3 version, this is the first MMO for a lot of them. I'd also argue that most players pick this up because of the DC IP and the action combat rather than being an MMO. Combined with the game's poor explanation of certain systems, to the point where you have to rely on forum guides to even learn the basics (which themselves were often unreliable due to lack of mechanics transparency) then you have a lot of clueless players.

On an unrelated note, I hate how DPS are encouraged to empty their power bars all the time to the point where controllers are reduced to walking mana batteries. "Use my weapons for regen? But how do I top the charts if I stop daisy-chaining my expensive powers and wasting them to clip animation times for that extra 1.5% damage?"

I already spent half the time spamming defibrilator when I was endgame teaming a year or two ago but the attitude seems to have gotten much worse now. No one seems to care about debuffs or crowd control anymore, and I loved playing controllers because it meant juggling all of that in a fight. Not spamming a power and occasionally maintaining another power at 25-second intervals.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Bitches love my tool time
Every time I play my controller in raids I usually just do my own thing. If the healers have 50%+ power than I'm usually debuff the mob. This is particularly fun as a Quantum dude since I can debuff the mobs damage AND their defense from ranged. DPS will always complain about power, my job is to keep the healers power up so they can keep the tank and the rest of the group up.

I also make it a point to generally ignore Raid chat.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

For reference, the Zeta robot boss is the one where it flashes "HEALER TRASH MOBS INCOMING" on the screen every time they show up. This was too complex for the group to grasp. Meanwhile, some people were not even attacking the boss, but instead his other worthless adds.

Future Son
Mar 29, 2007
I'm from the future. I'm your son!

Fuzz posted:

https://forums.station.sony.com/dcuo/index.php?threads/please-lockouts-on-things-you-already-have.158374/

I made a thing, if you guys that agree (aka ALL OF YOU :argh:) can hop in and say so, maybe keep it more visible. This is just ridiculous.

I liked your idea when you posted it here, and I still liked it on the DCUO forums. Though I had to push it to the extreme and complain about having to grind marks for alts as well. It wouldn't be a public thread without a few derails.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I PuG FoS 1&3 pretty often. occasionally we have issues with idiots and medics, but that's the worst of it.

but 2? I rarely even see groups for it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I need to play Electric more often... mostly been working on my Ice guy and debating leveling up a Quantum DPS.

Swapped Electric to one handed, it's pretty great.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I don't know how it is now, as I made mine before the changes that allowed foes to block break and whatnot, but Elec DP was bad as hell in DPS mode.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

I'm working on hitting CR 70 on manstrocity atm.

I needed a couple weeks of screwing around in other games to unwind.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Looks like yellow energy weapons went up today.

Also blue.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Also blue.

I still don't get how this game doesn't have blatant lightsaber copies.

Then again, I don't get why they have been progressively lowering the number of available styles that are readily accessible in this game.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Aphrodite posted:

Also blue.

One step closer to playable red and blue lanterns, I guess.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

Are these weapon skins locked to that specific color? Most weapon skins take on the colors of your palette. I still don't see why they don't let you customize spell colors, you could make your own Green/Red/Blue/Orange/Pink Lanterns all day with that ability. Granted this would break some lore but :cheers:

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Did they for real take away the Gunslinger coat from the Ring War Vendor? Glad I snatched it when I did.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

J3ng4 posted:

Are these weapon skins locked to that specific color?

Yeah, they totally are, if they're anything like some of the other skins (I picked up Sorcerous with a spare credit at one point and they're all translucent purple, none of my colors show on the thing)

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

guess it had to happen eventually.

gonna pull my troll from the legion. keeping my sorc healer and my alts in, though. I do log onto them from time to time and several people have my troll's name/steam contact so I'm still within shouting distance.

I just want to have at least ONE character in a big, bustling guild and atm I have none in that, so that's the gist of it.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

nehezir posted:

guess it had to happen eventually.

gonna pull my troll from the legion. keeping my sorc healer and my alts in, though. I do log onto them from time to time and several people have my troll's name/steam contact so I'm still within shouting distance.

I just want to have at least ONE character in a big, bustling guild and atm I have none in that, so that's the gist of it.

:smith:

I can't decide if my Ice guy will go DPS or Tank... I hear Ice DPS is insane, so there's that. I really want to start playing this more, especially since I'm Legendary now.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

how is your ice dude holding up?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

nehezir posted:

how is your ice dude holding up?

His gear is poo poo, but that's because he's still only level 22 and has all sorts of badly mismatched gear from questing, but even then his damage is pretty solid. Mainly waiting to get to 30 and then I'm just going to sit in Gotham and get a full set of that Battle for Earth gear from Brainiac constructs so he can get into Duos and Alerts and crap... thinking I might stick to Ice DPS, it's really drat fun and quite good.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Fuzz posted:

His gear is poo poo, but that's because he's still only level 22 and has all sorts of badly mismatched gear from questing, but even then his damage is pretty solid. Mainly waiting to get to 30 and then I'm just going to sit in Gotham and get a full set of that Battle for Earth gear from Brainiac constructs so he can get into Duos and Alerts and crap... thinking I might stick to Ice DPS, it's really drat fun and quite good.

Ice tanking by the way is considered easy mode tanking.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Ice tanking by the way is considered easy mode tanking.

That's what I've heard. Still up in the air. I've gone balls out Healer with my gear on Electric Slide now, so I'm basically all in for that... Tanks are also in short supply, it seems, but at the same time I feel like it would be hard to do any solo content with Tank spec stuff. My Healer can't solo a goddamn thing, even if he switches to the Damage Role... the DPS on his attacks is just lacking, and trying to kill anything in healer mode is a lost cause because I will run out of energy healing myself before they run out of health.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jun 12, 2013

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

tanks tend to have an easier time swapping back and worth.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Is it worth purchasing the 30 dollar DLC pack for starting out in the game? I still have some Smedbux burning in my account from Planetside 2 and I've playing this up to level 8 or so thus far. I'm not entirely sure if the pack is a good value or not.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Vanderdeath posted:

Is it worth purchasing the 30 dollar DLC pack for starting out in the game? I still have some Smedbux burning in my account from Planetside 2 and I've playing this up to level 8 or so thus far. I'm not entirely sure if the pack is a good value or not.

You'd be better off spending that money on buying nehezir a Shift key. :smugbert:

But yeah, it's a pretty drat good deal for the amount of content you get. With all that stuff, you can access basically 90% of the game, and the last 10% is just a powereset (Quantum) and a few storyline quests and alerts. If you enjoy the game and plan to play it regularly, it's probably worth it.

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

if you're going to stick with the game, buy all the dlc.

there's a use for all of them somewhere. this makes that faster/cheaper.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

I'm not seeing the yellow and blue styles in the marketplace. What do they look like beyond being energy weapons?

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Seems like a majority of y'all play on PC, are there many PS3 players?

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Omnikin posted:

Seems like a majority of y'all play on PC, are there many PS3 players?

I play on PS3-US. Villain side, PVP server. I'm only level 18 or 19, if that poses an issue.
Feel free to add me (anyone else too) : Quorthorn

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Any chance I can get an invite on PC? Villain, Ms Diagnosis

nehezir
Aug 9, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Any chance I can get an invite on PC? Villain, Ms Diagnosis

I'm hopping on. contact manstrocity in a few minutes.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
poo poo, you guys are villains? I'll make an alt to team up with y'all, I'm in love with this game right now. Level 15 nature healer, just did a run of Area 51 that scratched my itch to heal so good

If anyone is on the hero side you can add Chip Kelly as a friend and I'll return the favor

edit - I do have a question if anyone can shed some light on it. With nature healing you get the multiple skills that release pheromones and Blossom which uses them. I know Pheromones heal over time but it diminishes, right? So I can cast multiple Bloom/Savage Growth/Metabolisms to keep everyone topped up for the big Blossom heal? I know they won't infinitely stack but I'm wondering what the effective time usage is

edit- add as a PSN name or in-game name? If PSN I'm online as legit3incher

Omnikin fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jun 15, 2013

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

MoreMetalBrian posted:

I play on PS3-US. Villain side, PVP server. I'm only level 18 or 19, if that poses an issue.
Feel free to add me (anyone else too) : Quorthorn

I'm on PS3 too, though I haven't been playing and my legendary has lapsed (MY INVENTORY!). I have characters of almost every flavor on both hero and villain sides.

You guys are welcome to add me, PSN: Mr_Dread, but I'll probably be busy with The Last of Us.

ganash
Oct 18, 2006
You'll see
For the PS3 guys, what is up with our auction house? It's retarded, half a mil for some salvaged bits. Seriously? I must be missing something because outside a lucky drop cash flow on the AH I have felt blessed to break 20k and at game vendors that is more than adequate. When did capitalism make people lose their minds on here? Even to screw free and premium people over 50k would do it.

My Villian's name is Sindus btw. Fresh fire 30 and just found the glory of a full PVP tank set. Omg no more sucker punching A-holes. Just tits.

ganash fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 16, 2013

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Where the gently caress did all the PvP styles go? I don't even PvP but Blood Bat and whatever heroes have is seriously all I can find.

J3ng4
Nov 22, 2006

You have to get a certain level of PvP CR to unlock the next set. You can't even view them at all anymore.

Scuba Trooper
Feb 25, 2006

Bogus.

Also lockboxes keep giving me vigilante stuff. I think it's trying to tell me something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Omnikin posted:

poo poo, you guys are villains? I'll make an alt to team up with y'all, I'm in love with this game right now. Level 15 nature healer, just did a run of Area 51 that scratched my itch to heal so good

If anyone is on the hero side you can add Chip Kelly as a friend and I'll return the favor

edit - I do have a question if anyone can shed some light on it. With nature healing you get the multiple skills that release pheromones and Blossom which uses them. I know Pheromones heal over time but it diminishes, right? So I can cast multiple Bloom/Savage Growth/Metabolisms to keep everyone topped up for the big Blossom heal? I know they won't infinitely stack but I'm wondering what the effective time usage is

edit- add as a PSN name or in-game name? If PSN I'm online as legit3incher

titties posted:

I'm on PS3 too, though I haven't been playing and my legendary has lapsed (MY INVENTORY!). I have characters of almost every flavor on both hero and villain sides.

You guys are welcome to add me, PSN: Mr_Dread, but I'll probably be busy with The Last of Us.

Dammit my bad, that's the character name, Omnikin. PSN ID is SpheresOfBadness

I'll add both you and Mr_Dread when I get back home from work.

Also Mr_Dread : If you are looking for a 4th spot in Last of Us MP, or want to jump in, hit me up. I think I'm on the left Faction (the scavenger guys).

• Locked thread