Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I just like to bitch about my job with people who understand what I'm talking about v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

rscott posted:

I just like to bitch about my job with people who understand what I'm talking about v:shobon:v

That's what I mean though, first hand experience with the content versus 2ND hand information and wikipedia experts. COD vs. TFR if you will.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

rscott posted:

Apparently 9th grade geometry is beyond the capabilities of the vendor we send our parts to get anodized and primed. Some of our stuff needs masking at various stages and apparently this is too hard to figure out:

I work at a finishing shop and yes, yes, that is too hard for us to figure out. It'd take at least a week just for us to get correct templates made, and a handful of parts would still be masked backwards, plated, inspected, and shipped without anyone noticing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

rscott posted:

Oh trust me. To someone with no aviation experience its a cool world to peer into. Where else could I get exposed to poo poo like this?

Agent RE-RE
May 13, 2002

See? It IS funny!

triple clutcher posted:

I work at a finishing shop and yes, yes, that is too hard for us to figure out. It'd take at least a week just for us to get correct templates made, and a handful of parts would still be masked backwards, plated, inspected, and shipped without anyone noticing.

Good thing there's a final QA buyoff before the parts leave the shop right? RIGHT?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
I'm loving frustrated with mobile browsers ATM, otherwise id have pictures up already :(

Although, some of the poo poo I've uncovered when doing repairs from American carriers scares me and makes me want to fly on them less and less. Buried/undocumented patches, buried doubled holes, etc. up here we have to go to college to touch em, but down there the regs are different and you can write your exam after building a kit plane with hardware from home depot. gently caress you Regan, gently caress you.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009

Agent RE-RE posted:

Good thing there's a final QA buyoff before the parts leave the shop right? RIGHT?

:lol:

Do you guys do anodizing at your shop? Is it really common for parts to fall out of the baskets because I swear we lose somewhere in the mid single digits percentage wise of the parts we send out and I'm curious if it's due to theft or just carelessness.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Imgur has a standalone app, works way better for uploading than trying to go through a mobile browser.

Also I love listening to knowledgable people talk about what they do, so please continue talking about your job if you want.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012

Agent RE-RE posted:

of course! Our paperwork is always usually signed off on.

I enjoy what I do, but between our screwups and some of the shops we do work for it's amazing that there aren't more planes and spacecraft and tanks falling out of the air. You want us to leave certain areas unplated, but won't send us the prints to show us those areas because they're classified? Sure thing, man.

All our anodizing is racked, so our fallout is generally pretty low. I didn't even know bulk anodizing could be a thing?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
We do a lot of small extrusions and hand formed clips and brackets that go on larger assemblies that we build in house that might have as many as 1500 pieces on one order, I don't know how that stuff gets anodized.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
got home and at the computer so this will go fast and easy:

this is a bracket that goes in the aft fuselage behind the pressure bulkhead but forward of the ELT, APU and FDR's:

I had to make the same one today but for the other side because it cracked in the same place. I'll take pictures tomorrow when I'm installing them so you can see the guts in the rear end end of an aircraft.

our Alodine prep room

So the trim panel I made earlier last week was waiting on the edge seal from bombardier; bonded it to the panel yesterday with 3M L1300 adhesive. It's aggressive stuff and requires toluene to dissolve it:

It's a pain to work with the first time around, but the second attempt went much smoother after I figured out to bond one side of the lip before moving to the other side.

this is a left hand, outboard engine bay cover which I -thankfully- received with the cherry max rivets removed and the old latch pin removed as well. I say thankfully because all the rivets near the engine are monel or stainless; aka hard.

the tool in my left hand is a nut runner, it's set to 35in/lbs. so it's good torque for bolts under .243" diameter. I had to use a magnet to get the washer and self locking nut in there.

the new pin didn't like the old hole...

pencil grinder's/ dremels are a godsend, one of my favorite tools and as an invaluable as taps + dies, reamers, helicoils, etc. I fixed the interference easily because they can go where files and deburring tools can't.

alodine and primer, of course.

lots of cherry max in this one to seal it up after putting the new patch pin in. Oblong holes were reamed to CR3553-4(oversize) or CR3523-5(nominal).

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 20, 2014

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
When you upsize holes like that do you make of note of it in the maintenance records or is it just kind of a surprise to the next guy who digs in there to replace poo poo. We occasionally get orders for bushings with OD/ID specs that are different because someone hosed up somewhere putting it on the airplane and they get their own part numbers and everything so it's all documented.

Those brackets look like a ton of stuff we make (I'm sure they all look pretty similar in the end since they're doing the same thing) but we don't make anything out of stuff that thin, we really start at .050 and most commonly use .063 or .080 in 2024-T3. It's good that we don't, stuff under .040 uses a different scale (15T vs HRB) for rockwell hardness and it's kind of a pain in the rear end with our old rear end tester.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Everything is documented. I feel more like an archeologist then tech because the paper work is so intensive & specific in wording, reference to manufacturer's manuals and drawings. I take lots of pictures just to cover my own rear end.

Agent RE-RE
May 13, 2002

See? It IS funny!

rscott posted:

:lol:

Do you guys do anodizing at your shop? Is it really common for parts to fall out of the baskets because I swear we lose somewhere in the mid single digits percentage wise of the parts we send out and I'm curious if it's due to theft or just carelessness.

We do anodize, chem films, passivation, media blasting, shot peening, titanium etch, aluminum etch, penetrant inspection, magnetic penetrant inspection, and paint.

Since anodize requires electric current to be applied to the part we rack each individual part by hand. Jobs under 500 units are hand counted upon receipt into each work area and prior to transport to another area of the shop. Counting parts is our most effective tool against loss. It's very common for parts to fall off the racks while moving around on the anodize line. But if the job was counted before it was racked, and the job is counted as it's unracked, we are able to narrow the area we need to search for the lost part. The most common technique for lost part recovery involves a steel garden rake, and an 8 foot long 4 inch diameter plexiglass rod. The rake is used to drag the bottom of the tank, pulling any errant widgets to the end of the tank. Then the plexi rod is used to peek into the bottom of the tank, like the biggest drat borescope you've ever seen.

I've never known parts to fall out of baskets, but they often get overlooked in the bottom of a cardboard box, only to be found months after the job shipped to the customer. At that point, the customer has already been compensated for the lost part, so it goes into our 'Box-O-Widgets' I will occasionally scavenge the nifty looking ones to make key-chain fobs.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

FullMetalJacket posted:

Everything is documented. I feel more like an archeologist then tech because the paper work is so intensive & specific in wording, reference to manufacturer's manuals and drawings. I take lots of pictures just to cover my own rear end.
Yep. We're not selling parts, we're selling paperwork and traceability.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
yeeuuup. It's the reason I have a stockpile of highlites but can't use them at work.

anyways, today's entry:

this is where the brackets i made attach to. It's the recirculating fan and the brackets hold a fiberglass shroud that protects it from the APU's heat. same reason for all the orange insulation on the ducting.

Flight Data Recorders 180 degrees from the last photo

I was using alligator squeezers to get the rivets installed. The left side was fine, but the right side decided it wanted me to feel like poo poo today:

then the 90 degree drill decided it wanted a piece of the action, too

NO MOM, gently caress YOU. YOU'RE GOING IN THERE.

reamed the hole and put in a hilok.

that took way longer then it should have.

next project was disassembling this bypass door

Becasue of this buried fuckup of someone else's doing that was under one of the round plates in the parts bag of the first picture

used chemical paint stripper and an orbital sander to find the rivet heads

this piece is the only one that has to be replaced, but we'll see what the bossman says.

If there's anything I've learned from building and working on airplanes, it's that there's always a better way to do things.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

FullMetalJacket posted:

after 4 years of being in and out of school, I landed a temp job doing industrial cleaning that earned me enough money to finish the job, but not as well as i wanted it to be. I was still a proud pappy to be finally driving it, that's for sure!

Waaay back from the OP, but I've got to know what kind of paint you used for this. I've got a beater 87 B2000 I picked up for fun last year and it will need a paint job eventually. This matte black looks pretty slick.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
it was! it will fade, eventually. the paint is farm implement paint. super cheap and easy to work with. I got it from TSC up here in kanukistan:
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/search/tractor-paint

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My buddy has a van that was done with Endura (dumptruck paint) but it was applied too thin and the prep work was tragic. The actual paint is holding up pretty well where rust isn't bleeding through though.

I was tempted to do a similar thing with the POR "hardnose" industrial paint but I don't yet have a vehicle lovely enough to justify it. I'll see if I can fix that.

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Like how long are we talking before it fades?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
lol safety switch

parts, if you do the prep work well^(and you must because it`s satin black) it`ll fade after a year of sun and salt exposure. It still has some lustre, but it`s not top quality paint. seriously, I bought a half gallon for $40 CDN. You really can`t go wrong with it. Then when it does fade, just prep the area, spray again, buff and wax after. it`ll come right back.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Q400 came in this past week. They're nice.

Sometimes I draw airplanes too:

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr

FullMetalJacket posted:

lol safety switch

parts, if you do the prep work well^(and you must because it`s satin black) it`ll fade after a year of sun and salt exposure. It still has some lustre, but it`s not top quality paint. seriously, I bought a half gallon for $40 CDN. You really can`t go wrong with it. Then when it does fade, just prep the area, spray again, buff and wax after. it`ll come right back.
Wow, that is fast.

I took a pic today of my 87 B2000 for a curious relative so what the hell might as well show it off here too:

Interior is pretty terrible, needs a really thorough scrubbing and vacuuming then I can start worrying about replacing seat foam and covers. Exterior is ok aside from the top of the cab being really faded and some good sized dents in the bed/tailgate area. Rear step bumper is crooked, maybe a previous owner was really really fat. I'm still debating what to paint it with, black might be the lazy solution since that's what this dark blue truck is registered as :xd: but I'd really like coyote tan or a dark khaki.

Bought it for $1100 back on thanksgiving day last year and I think with the misc stuff I'm probably around $2k in it. Though a good chunk of that is getting proper tools and such; what was really necessary parts-wise was the clutch hydraulics, brake master cylinder, and thermostat. Ball joints are next on the major stuff list, though before that I need to drain/fill the differential and transmission.

It's fun as poo poo to drive around in.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
they really are fun to drive! a 4 link, air springs and an lsd as I`ve planned in my head will really sharpen it up more so. I`ve seen them in worse shape then yours! good pick. :)

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Thanks! The air springs are a neat idea, but how much weight are you putting on it to need them?

A guy in the area's tan B2200 was spotted on the side of the road tonight coming home from work. :(

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
air sprung for ride height adjustment and stiffness. Bitch gonna be looooow.

work stuff:

q400 cockpit

A CHALLENGER APPEARS

guess where i am!

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Mar 13, 2014

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Why does it say handle like eggs?

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
inertia sensor/ gyro

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
Sacrifices are required to satisfy the sheet metal gods. Praise be to Monel and cherrymax you are too hard to deal with just one drill bit.

hey look it's a crack!

and another!

We call them fingernails and they're loving shite piecs of monel, titanium and stainless steel. I started off replacing the seal (white ring) and now because of the cracks it's 20+ hrs of work on top just to put it back.

FullMetalJacket fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Mar 18, 2014

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
more work on the fingernail:

i went through 7 drill bits just to get to here.

splice dat poo poo.

and after the rough cut

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
well, finally have the means to fix the front end of the truck.

gently caress if it doesn't hurt though, replacing the front end for the 3rd time and all. Sigh...

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
She finally ate it.
On the way back to Ontario, two hours into the journey my recent maintenance was for nought. Engine temp was not staying constant, harsh vibrations coming through the stick,lack of throttle response,and failure of the ignition/charging system spelled the end of the beater2200.onto aflatbed it went and off to the scrapper. Fare well friend, thank you for the adventures.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
RIP little Mazda. You were too beautiful for this world. :(

Parts Kit
Jun 9, 2006

durr
i have a hole in my head
durr
Aw man. :911:

I am tractor painting mine. Slowly, but it is getting done.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
A sad day for a mighty little Mazda :japan:

blindjoe
Jan 10, 2001
Aww, poor little guy.
I am still sad from selling mine. Time for you to buy another one.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008
the kick in the nuts is that when I arrived in London, all the parts I ordered were here waiting for me :( my sister, whom was in the X3 chase vehicle took a video of it's last moments. I'll post it when I get it off her.

Also, look what I found!

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/london/1993-bmw-5-series-wagon/575814228?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FullMetalJacket posted:

She finally ate it.
On the way back to Ontario, two hours into the journey my recent maintenance was for nought. Engine temp was not staying constant, harsh vibrations coming through the stick,lack of throttle response,and failure of the ignition/charging system spelled the end of the beater2200.onto aflatbed it went and off to the scrapper. Fare well friend, thank you for the adventures.

ENGINE.SWAP.

FullMetalJacket
Apr 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

ENGINE.SWAP.

if only my dad was into this idea, that or the E38 out of my mom's 740IL. They just bought that x3 and it was a lifesaver for the trip, we were able to stuff all of the trucks contents in it and in the trailer. 1000km from London, The Mazda had to stay in Quebec :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FullMetalJacket posted:

if only my dad was into this idea, that or the E38 out of my mom's 740IL. They just bought that x3 and it was a lifesaver for the trip, we were able to stuff all of the trucks contents in it and in the trailer. 1000km from London, The Mazda had to stay in Quebec :(

God drat it, don't let this end here!

• Locked thread