Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Chieves posted:

Wow, this was actually a good show, did anyone notice???

Apparently not enough did :smith:

Ive been hootin' and hollerin' about VB since '05! Truly a bummer that no more will be made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I still have hope! At least the tax write off rumors were false

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Chieves posted:

Wow, this was actually a good show, did anyone notice???

Apparently not enough did :smith:

The show ran for 15-20 years depending on if the movie counts and only had 7 seasons to its name. The incredibly slow turnaround probably had no small part in its demise either.
Look at it this way; it didn't stick around long enough to become the villain.

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

In the era we’re in now I don’t think any show with a decent following is truly dead. It may take a while but I’d be shocked if there’s never any follow up, be it another season or a comic

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

The show ran for 15-20 years depending on if the movie counts and only had 7 seasons to its name. The incredibly slow turnaround probably had no small part in its demise either.
Look at it this way; it didn't stick around long enough to become the villain.

"Only" 7 seasons, but each of those was high grade poo poo. I'll take this or the british model of short seasons/not many of them if it means shows don't jump the shark/run themselves into the ground/flanderize everyone.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

holefoods posted:

In the era we’re in now I don’t think any show with a decent following is truly dead. It may take a while but I’d be shocked if there’s never any follow up, be it another season or a comic

Getting the band back together for a project like this is non-trivial

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I just got an nyt crossword answer because of a word I learned from Escape to the House of Mummies, Part 2.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

What the hell is voile?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I AM GRANDO posted:

I just got an nyt crossword answer because of a word I learned from Escape to the House of Mummies, Part 2.

Voile?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yes, voile. I didn’t want to spoil the Sunday crossword for anyone, but I guess I did anyway, because that’s the most notable word from that episode.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
I think the most notable word from that episode is Head.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
You did not just say that!

Tiger Crazy
Sep 25, 2006

If you couldn't find any weirdness, maybe we'll just have to make some!
Yeah, Doc and Jackson having total writing control made the show consistently good it also made it so they only put out 7 seasons in those 20 years.

I had a guild and order of the triad shirt. Most people asked me about the triad shirt. Those shirts were made by American apparel and were such quality. I also bought the big villain shirt and the osi aggression force shirts and the quality was noticeably different. I also don't quite enjoy the image as the guild and triad shirts.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Mega64 posted:

You did not just say that!

I didn't understand the question!

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

I didn't understand the question!

with corner attachment, oh Billy

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Arrath posted:

"Only" 7 seasons, but each of those was high grade poo poo. I'll take this or the british model of short seasons/not many of them if it means shows don't jump the shark/run themselves into the ground/flanderize everyone.

I'm still mad about how Sherlock went from "as grounded as Sherlock Holmes stories can be" to "I'm pretty sure this was supposed to be a Doctor Who episode about a telepathical alien."

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
Am I???
Fun Shoe
I got my Venture Industries and GCI shirts!

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Didn't they say the reason that seasons took so look was because they didn't outsource the animation in one of the DVD commentaries?
Overall Venture Bros gave me everything I wanted except for 'more' so I'm mostly ok with it riding off into the sunset.
Though I wouldn't have minded learning about Scare Bear and Grover Cleveland's time machine.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Apr 10, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The animation was outsourced, but Doc drew all the backgrounds himself, which took time.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

pixaal posted:

with corner attachment, oh Billy

I DIDN'T UNDERSTAND THE QUESTION!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Cojawfee posted:

The animation was outsourced, but Doc drew all the backgrounds himself, which took time.

Wow, really? I didn't know that

Those dudes are so insanely talented

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't know if it was all of them, but anything iconic they wanted a specific look for he drew himself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah iirc there was a background artist from the show who would post in here. Or maybe I'm mixing up that a storyboard artist posted here and that folks linked to a background artist on Twitter. But regardless, I think Doc did a lot of the key backgrounds and then (very hands-on) art directed the rest. Which is still a massive time-suck when he's also doing all the motion graphics, post-effects, and 12 other jobs on the show.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah iirc there was a background artist from the show who would post in here. Or maybe I'm mixing up that a storyboard artist posted here and that folks linked to a background artist on Twitter. But regardless, I think Doc did a lot of the key backgrounds and then (very hands-on) art directed the rest. Which is still a massive time-suck when he's also doing all the motion graphics, post-effects, and 12 other jobs on the show.

A producer, iirc. One of the things they were responsible for was ensuring Rusty looked bored or disinterested if whatever was happening didn't directly involve him.

They've always used a Korean animation studio. Part of the big reason in quality upgrades over time is because Doc and Jackson got better at knowing what to ask for and giving better direction more than improvement in budget.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ChrisBTY posted:

Didn't they say the reason that seasons took so look was because they didn't outsource the animation in one of the DVD commentaries?
From the various interviews and panels I always got the impression that it was the writing that created a big bottleneck at the beginning. I remember one of the most recent panels in which Publick said that if he had a time machine, he would tell his younger self to take a vacation after season 1 and to start a writing room and get comfortable with it, because past season 2, they couldn't get anyone else involved.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It's ironic that most shows want a writers room but can't afford one, but they could (maybe) afford one but just couldn't hire writers who could be on the same exact wavelength after they were in so deep.

I went to a Venture Bros panel maybe 12 years ago at comic con. This was midway through the shows run but it felt like it was late in the run cause I had first watched multiple seasons of the show a few years earlier. It was a process of forgetting about the show, trying to catch up, realizing I'd forgotten a lot and it was too impenetrable, and then finally watching everything again before the movie came out that made me a fan that actually understood what was going on. Though by now I think I've forgotten a lot again.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

feedmyleg posted:

I think we had a Rick and Morty background artist, and Venture Bros producer

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I don’t think they started out drawing all or most of the backgrounds themselves.

The earliest examples of Orpheus’ apartment on the compound had a weird staircase to nowhere behind a bookcase because Doc Hammer put a note in the script saying the room has a bookcase that “looks like there would be a hidden stairway behind it” or something to that effect.

I remember that bit from one of the commentaries and now I can’t unsee that janky staircase whenever it appears.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Splint Chesthair posted:

I don’t think they started out drawing all or most of the backgrounds themselves.

The earliest examples of Orpheus’ apartment on the compound had a weird staircase to nowhere behind a bookcase because Doc Hammer put a note in the script saying the room has a bookcase that “looks like there would be a hidden stairway behind it” or something to that effect.

I remember that bit from one of the commentaries and now I can’t unsee that janky staircase whenever it appears.

get wax all over my carpet? yesssss

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Show is so old they should call it the denture bros

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Cojawfee posted:

Show is so old they should call it the denture bros

Still an option for an old team venture show. First episode they can go to space and save Jonas proving it's a different timeline, or maybe they just take a time machine and hijack another timeline's PROBLEM Jonas.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
First [as] Streams were axed, and now the Venture Brothers are gone. There's just no reason to even watch [as] anymore in my opinion.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

mycomancy posted:

First [as] Streams were axed, and now the Venture Brothers are gone. There's just no reason to even watch [as] anymore in my opinion.

There's always https://www.adultswim.com/streams/the-venture-bros

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
They kept having problems with miscommunication with the animation studios, apparently they'd want to insert deliberate animation errors as homages and the studios didn't understand it and animated the scene correctly.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I've received a lot of emails from titmousestuff in the last couple of months. I think they're doing more frequent restocks on their popular designs, and since I just got one, and they seem to have everything now, I figured I'd mention it.
https://www.titmousestuff.com/collections/the-venture-bros

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn

mycomancy posted:

Smiling Friends is the only thing to watch now

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Altared State posted:

Smiling Friends is the only thing to watch now

New season (finally) starts May 12th!

https://youtu.be/61aRJ2zOHxQ?si=ZYX8770Pt0sKeeAK

https://youtu.be/NFtKlgFpfd4?si=ves6mxx-g99hRueA

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Cacafuego posted:

New season (finally) starts May 12th!

A cruel thing to post itt

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Is it ever stated which one of the two old guild members is Buddy Holly and which one is The Big Bopper?
I assume Big Bopper is Dragoon because Dragoon was yoked and Buddy was a nerd/wizard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Right in that episode yeah. Dragoon was the one accidentally inventing hip hop.