Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy
You know what he called me the other day? A honky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
"World Domination? I'll leave that to the religious nuts and the Republicans thank you"

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Man that clip has just reminded me of how much I love Dr.Z, such a great understated character. I love the sheer glee he gets out of villainy and how he's viewed as this pioneering legend within the supervillain community. Watching him bust out the villain speech at Rusty's day camp and seeing Hatred geek out over meeting him were both great.

"What about scorpions? Can I drop scorpions on him?"

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
gently caress it, I'm ordering this book right now. I'm almost as excited to read it as I am for the new season (Which I still can't believe is airing this weekend!)

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I only recently figured out the meaning behind Queen Etheria too- she's supposed to be 'ethereal' i.e ghostly and barely visible to contrast with Phantom Limb's invisible appendages, which is why everyone makes comments about how her old costume was really revealing and skanky

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to get :420: and watch the episodes tonight. I've got Venture fever and I need to watch this show like right now

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Tuxedo Ted posted:

P.S. I'm gonna be slowly watching the series from season 1, hit me up with lovely, poorly optimized gif requests.

I've always loved the scene in Home Insecurity where Monarch and Underbeit stare eachother down with increasing intensity, the animation on their faces slays me every time.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

Seriously why was Pete almost naked. The only reason I can think of is HELPeR was going to feed him to Jonas?

He'd been through a bunch of haunted house poo poo on his way to the lobby. That does things to a person.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
The best racist joke on the show is Col.Gentleman stating that Kano is a crackerjack pilot despite his 'racial handicap'

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
The Ooooo Ray seemed to be a solid invention too, albeit not for the reasons that Doc intended it for. At least he made some money out of it

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

WrathOfBlade posted:

I love Treister based solely on Toby Huss knocking every single one of his line readings out of the park.

"I want answers by the time I finish this ja-hyuice box! Warning, I am t'irsty, and it is fruit punch and it is delicious!"

I feel the same way about Red Dragoon, their lines are funny on their own but it's the delivery that really knocks it out of the park. I still giggle just thinking about the way he pronounces the whacky races

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Hey guess what? Nobody cares who would win in a crazy fantasy fist fight between Hunter S Thompson and Douglas MacArthur!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I'm glad I'm not the only one who immediately thought of the Venture Bros upon hearing this news

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Dragoon breathlessly proclaiming that he was accidentally inventing Hip-hop! is one of my favourite line deliveries in the whole series

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

uber_stoat posted:

"Finally someone who understands that serration is only good for bread."

This line has been stuck in my head for years, and pops up pretty much every time I slice bread. I completely lost my poo poo when they called back to it in S5, I had no idea that it stuck out for other people.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I'm interested to see what the Monarch's operation is going to look like next season now that he's got his mojo back and has a clear shot at arching Rusty again. Is he going to revert back to the old cocoon/henchman army model that we're used to or continue with the slimmed-down operation with Gary that he's been working with for the past couple of seasons?

Given the change in both his and the Ventures living situations it's going to be cool to see what his first big arch as a Lvl.10 is going to look like now that he can't just flood the compound with henchmen like back in the old days. Plus now that the secret's finally out about Rusty and Malcolms relationship to one another I'm expecting big things from their first big showdown in NYC

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Kesper North posted:

I wanna give this show a shoutout for teaching me the name of the Valsalva maneuver.

I once won a point in a pub quiz because the show taught me what a Lepidopterist is

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Images you can hear

https://twitter.com/itsstillalex/status/1238836963442130946?s=19

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That episode does not go a minute without an all time great line, it’s incredible.

You're not kidding. I wanted to quote one of my favourite lines from the episode ("what if its actually Zeus? All pissed off because nobody cares about Zeus anymore") but in the process I stumbled upon the scene on YouTube and literally every single line here is comedy gold. Triester was such a good character, its a shame we never got to see more of him

https://youtu.be/VbKIH4E8hac

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I paid double that for my book and it still felt like I got a bargain.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

luxury handset posted:

i loved everything about the doom factory and the idea of conceptual villainy

It really says a lot about the strength of the shows worldbuilding that they could even introduce a concept like 'avant-garde conceptual arching' and have it intuitively make sense to both the characters in the show and the audience themselves. The sheer density of the lore and references contained in that episode is astounding and yet none of it ever feels stilted or difficult to explain.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Sankara posted:

The entire point of Venture Brothers was to have Colonel Gentleman say "AT-AT Imperial Walker". I crack up every time.

This is a timely discussion because since lockdown started and we all became that bit more weird and insular I've been rewatching the show and have found myself quoting Col Gentlemen whilst doing chores around the house; he's such a fun character to do impressions of. Current favourites are "Shcooby Doo Monster Game", "Blashted mallowmars! My tits are back!", "That's for calling Ook Ook a monkey!" and the entirety of his "Rodney killed a baby once" conversation.

I should really watch the extended version of him riffing on his favourite toys and pick up a few new phrases. 24 is another fun one to try and replicate too. Anyone else find themselves randomly doing VB voices irl?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Thread's starting to read like a 21/24 conversation again

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I've been rewatching the series recently and just heard them namedrop the Treaty of Tolerance all the way back in Season 2. This loving show

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I was just thinking recently that it'd be cool to finally get an episode about Jefferson Twilight. He doesn't really get as much development as the rest of the triad and New York is probably the best location to do something with his skillset. A blaxploitation episode involving him fighting blackulas in harlem or wherever would be pretty cool

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
*sighs*

Get their clones

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
At this point I'm just going to do what Rusty would do in this situation, which is treat all parties involved with contempt and indifference, confident in the knowledge that poo poo will probably work itself out in the end somehow due to some 11th hour twist.

Whilst making this face the whole time of course:

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
"Orpheus? It's your landlord speaking. I'm being cancelled by a cliché"

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I've been rewatching the show during lockdown and just reached S5, and while I was a bit lukewarm on it at the time I find myself appreciating it a lot more now. When it first broadcast it felt like the series was spinning its wheels a bit at that point (and I think they admitted as much in the book), but now with the benefit of hindsight it's a great capstone to the 'classic' VB era before they start switching things up in S6. Feels like there's a little bit of everything in that season, and pretty much every side character gets a moment to shine.

I don't think there's any episodes there I'd rank as my favourites, but pretty much all of them are still a ton of fun.

E: S5 was also the point where I realized that I liked Hatred more than Brock. He's such a fun character and imo just has much better chemistry with Doc and the boys, and it really feels like they nailed writing him during that season. It's a shame they ended up sidelining him for Brock again, who tbh has felt a bit flat ever since he got reintroduced in S6. His whole plotline in the S7 finale, while awesome, really highlighted that they haven't known what to do with his character for a while now.

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 10, 2020

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
There's a scene in S7 where Hatred is giving a tour to a bunch of schoolchildren and cheerfully regales them with a story from his supervillain days, and even though it's kind of a throwaway bit I remember thinking that the amount of groundwork and development they've had to put his character through to arrive at a place like that organically is really quite staggering when you stop and think about it. To think that all started from a one-off joke about the boys getting molested is amazing

pablo gbscobar fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Sep 10, 2020

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

luxury handset posted:

this whole little sequence is some of my favorite supernatural bullshit in the show. i love it when characters tone switch from semi-realistic to completely dramatic grandiose speech and then back again. orpheus and the monarch are both splendid for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0emWVXgdsVI

"Knock it off ya idiot! Nobody wants you open a Door to Hell" is one of those great underrated lines that's always rattling around in my head. This whole episode is amazing and it's a shame we never really get to see much more supernatural stuff in the show; there's still so much untapped potential there that we haven't seen. We never even got to see Orpheus' new pad with the Dr Strange window!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I've never watched the whole thing but the way Monarch distastefully describes the actor playing Doc as 'theatre people' has always stuck with me.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
Triana?

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

SeanBeansShako posted:

I just love the concept the Cocoon has an off shift Henchmen bar complete with bar tender who still must wear the uniform with the wings.

And that iirc both The Monarch and Dr.G have been refused service there.

Also, heads-up if you're not aware yet-- You can stream the whole series (plus a bunch of other AS stuff) in the UK using the C4 app!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

The World Inferno posted:

So it is! This right here is why I love this show. I'll be spending the rest of my life discovering new things and going "wait, wasn't this a venture brothers thing" and finding out it sure was.

In a similar vein- it was only recently that I learned that the Monarch's rant about Captain Sunshine literally throwing him in jail was a reference to a scene from the original Superman movie, which I randomly stumbled upon whilst channel surfing and immediately started cracking up. Like most of their references it was already a good joke on its own, but that extra layer of detail is what really elevates a lot of their stuff.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
In a similar vein, I'm surprised that out of everything the Monarch's done to Rusty over the years he never seems to rag on him for being a creepy incel loser with a crush on his wife.

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I want to hear Doc do a rendition of Happy Xmas (War Is Over) because that song was MADE for Urbaniak's deadpan snark.

I think Hatred could probably do a pretty good Merry Xmas Everyone by Slade too!

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy
I was really curious to see where Monarch would go post-tenning; whether he'd revert back to the Cocoon/Henchmen loadout or if he'd continue on as a duo dream team with Gary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

Lipstick Apathy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

IIRC the henchmen actually had a higher (primarily offscreen) death count from Hatred, since he actually uses guns.

Plus he did y'know, blow up the entire Cocoon by shooting it with his hovertank