Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Arrested Development rises from the grave and then new Venture Bros a week later. Everything owns. Go Team Venture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

That was loving insane.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Seriously, Jesus, that kicked the poo poo out of even the second season premiere. I missed this show so much. I always hoped that St. Cloud would get the Doc Hammer treatment and become a real character since he was just some nameless dude in Tag Sale.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 3, 2013

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

The Alchemist is totally just one of the Investors.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Yeah, I don't get the general dislike of Spanakopita either. The Clash of the Titans dream, Team Venture vs. L. Ron Hubbard and the way it explores Doc's psyche make it a contender for my favorite episode ever.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Season 5 definitely suffers from being like half as long as the one that came before it and also having to follow the absolute best episode of the show, Operation PROM.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

So like... Is "Quizboy" the Ventureverse term for a Bobby Fischer or a Doogie Howser type, and the game show Quizboys is just named after this concept? Or is Billy like if Ken Jennings decided to start doing some Elon Musk poo poo under the name Ken Jeopardy?

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

I bought the art book to help get through quarantine and I have to say the section on Love Bheits where Jackson Publick goes on for several paragraphs about the worst episodes still having their fan favorite moments and then Doc Hammer chimes in at the end to say "I have nothing to say about this episode other than that I hate it" is by far funnier than anything that actually happens in the episode.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

I have a soft spot for season 1 but even then I think Brisby is kind of a slog to get through considering the plot is basically:

Brisby asks Doc to clone him
Doc says no
Brisby knocks him out and takes him to a different room
Brisby asks Doc to clone him
Doc says no
Brisby knocks him out and takes him to a different room
Brock comes in and kills everybody

It's a shame because I like Brisby's character design and it works really well with the limited animation of season 1

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

The World Inferno posted:

Don't know if this got posted here when it came out, but I'd completely missed this.

Back in February, Doc Hammer did a 3 hour interview with Ken Plume and it's just a wonderful conversation. He explains pottery, what happened to make him a paraplegic, shirt club, and how he might have caused 9/11. A little season 8 development chat too, though obviously no real spoilers.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/34319028

Officially on full alert for every meticulously enunciated "Mon-Arch-Mo-Bile" from Dr. Girlfriend.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

I mean it's not really like Family Guy where if you don't know who the celebrity or whatever they're talking about is the joke is meaningless to you. Everything in Venture Bros is more contextual and actually relevant to the character or the story. Some jokes like "submit to my pleasure toast" are probably even funnier if you don't know what Hellraiser is than if you do.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

I'm not exactly holding my breath for an HBO continuation because I don't except Doc or Jackson will (or should) accept anything less than complete creative control. I'd rather have no ending than one where the network gives input to the effect of "Doc is too unlikeable" etc.

Basically I want to remember The Venture Bros as a perfect show and not something that got weird and watered down like what happened to Arrested Development.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 9, 2020

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

If you consider The High Cost of Loathing to be the real season 7 premiere it's my favorite premiere since season 2 and is probably the number one episode I would recommend to somebody to start the show with.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Every time I send some longass text or group chat message I conclude it with "The Sphinx has spoken"

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

My very ginger girlfriend likes to bring up The Albino Code whenever she has to spend any amount of time in the sun.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

It's hard to work into a conversation but I don't think any line has made me laugh harder than "Maybe *I* was the lizard man who stole your precious serum."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DgM6VrxNE4

The Buddy System has to be the funniest episode they ever made, but I'm quite partial to Dermott so I may be biased.

I am Reverend fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 11, 2020

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

shs posted:

I use the phrase "Not today, Rusty" at least a few times a year.

"I said pull my finger, Rusty! You pulled the pin out of this grenade!"

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Love Bheits is the only episode with no redeeming qualities

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

The best abrupt ending is Home is Where The Hate Is where everything is building up to Doc blowing up in the hot tub but then he just farts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Sankara posted:

Professor Impossible capturing the energy off that eternally burning in agony fellow (brother? friend? I forget the relation) is the most evil thing in the series.

I feel like pretty much everything Doc does in What Color Is Your Cleansuit is worse but it's pretty close.