Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
There was not a single wasted second in this episode. VB manages to pack more plot and character development into a half hour than most movies manage in two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
You know, looking at this thread again, I just realized something.

If I could ask any question of Rusty Venture, it would be:

"...Do you trim your eyebrows?"

Followed by:

"Does it look like the Monarch *ever* does?"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Captain Blaargh posted:

Not sure if it's the case for that track, but the few original songs that aren't Thirlwell's are Doc Hammer's band doing horrible pseudo-covers like the fake Zeppelin and such. Or Doc And Jackson doing Shallow Gravy obviously.

They did actually buy the rights to some song used in the climactic scene of the home-school prom episode, IIRC.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Jack Gladney posted:

Some song? That's not just some song. That's Pulp, you fool!

Oh. I didn't realize. *puts on the Comsat Angels*

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

DoctorWhat posted:

Size Queen.

:golfclap:

"I've never taken this much girth!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

feedmyleg posted:

On one hand, I love love love those Hardy Boys-esque illustrations on those sheets. On the other hand, there's no way I'm ever going to put sheets like that on my bed.

Oh, come on! Everybody loves a man in SPEED SHEETS!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Haha, Billy saying exactly what I say every time I have to attend a conference in Vegas.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sash! posted:

Sometimes even after episodes start to air, like when the second half of...what was that season 2's finale I guess fell off the boat from Korea or whatever

That was a thing that happened?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh my god, JJ is wearing a little admiral's uniform from Star Trek: The Motion Picture. And his security guys are wearing the same uniforms as the Federation Security goons in Search For Spock. Right down to the Gargantua logo, which looks a lot like the little Federation logo they had on their sleeves.

Also, Hank is going to be the best spy. He beat all the other spies at baccarat.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oh god, the look on Hank's face as Amber sits on his lap in the spaceplane at the end.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

The fact that The Monarch's family home is the Fight Club compound made me laugh my rear end off.

As someone who spent the three worst years of his life in New Jersey, the "magnificent view of Elizabeth, NJ" line loving slayed me. Because that's exactly what it looks like. Also "Fetch me... A NEW JERSEY TRANSIT SCHEDULE!" *dies*

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tatsuta Age posted:

Question: did I miss the insinuations of why the sovereign suddenly decided to go nuts? The investors or something? I don't get that part.

As far as I can tell, the Sovereign had a deal with the Investors to keep control of the Guild and the bill was going to come due soon. Note that several other major players had deals with the Investors that came due (JJ, Monstroso) in a very short timeframe. My theory is that the Investors were going to assume direct control of the Guild and kill the current Sovereign, so the Sovereign decided to declare a scorched-earth policy and kill everyone who could threaten his position. When Killinger interfered, he panicked.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Relin posted:

doc hammer is one gross looking dude

Yeah, but to goth chicks he looks like Brad Pitt.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Red posted:

This reminds me: Dr. Orpheus is fairly powerful, but Killinger just laughed him off, and left him almost comatose on the floor.

"Your powers are useless against me, you silly-billy."

And Killinger and The Investors even refer to everyone else as mortals - so Killinger is whatever The Investors are, but he's clearly stronger than they are.

Maybe those prostitutes Billy slept with were actually vampire chicks after all!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

reignofevil posted:

In fact odds are that Orpheus was lightsaber dueling Killinger in that episode as well; especially given the nosebleed both Orpheus and Investor-guy get left with.

drat, I forgot about that. Nice catch.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

JT Jag posted:

She honestly isn't portrayed well in the show. In her first appearance she's fed up with her aloof husband and goes out of her way to try and cheat on him, and in every future appearance she's kind of depicted as a hardass.

I think the portrayal is fine, she just apparently has a "type", and that "type" is condescending douchebags, which causes understandable frustration on her part.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Back Hack posted:

Unless I'm reading this wrong, their website list new a episode coming out on Saturday.

I'm gonna guess that's re-airing the special.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Hi it was a pleasant surprise to find that there was new Venture Brothers to watch yesterday.

Good stuff.

Man, if I'd known you didn't know, I'd have said something...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Red posted:

It's neat that, in the universe of the show, the Rusty Venture cartoon is 35-40 years old, but there was enough interest from younger children to attend his day camp. I wonder if Rusty Venture is just a timeless nostalgia thing, like GI Joe or Spider-Man.

...Now imagine an episode about the Rusty Venture Show being rebooted.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
"I just wanted to kick his rear end! I wanted to build a MACHINE to kick his rear end! I wanted to BUILD AN EMPIRE to HOUSE THE MACHINE to KICK HIS rear end!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Dazerbeams posted:

And this is my magic murder bag.

I have become ze proud papa!

Who wants popcooooorn! ...What did I miss?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

twistedmentat posted:

Al has great taste in music I assume.

Hey I'm all about the old school death rock.

Actually I love all the musical references in the show.

Wait, the Sovereign wrote Station to Station?
AND Changes vol. 1
You're such a poser, that was a best of!

"All my signed albums are totally worthless now!"

I've also been shafted with living in NY/NJ the last few years, so the local references crack me up too. "We are going to SPACE. Fetch me... A NEW JERSEY TRANSIT SCHEDULE!"

Also in Gargantua-2, Rusty looks out his window at a tangled industrial mess of pipes. "I've got a beautiful view of Elizabeth, New Jersey!" I cracked up so hard because I know he's talking about the PSEG Cogeneration Plant.

:goonsay: Which is technically in Linden.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pope Guilty posted:

One of the show's creators spent like a decade as half of Mors Syphlitica and has a band that covers Bauhaus, and it shows. (Their cover of "The Passion of Lovers" is gorgeous.)

Excuse me, that's THE Bauhaus.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is that the one that makes driving through New Jersey at night look like Mordor?

Yes, that's the one. That's literally what the line is referencing.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Reset Smith posted:

It's staggering how many people have played Prof. Richard Impossible. First Jackson Publick's brother in the pilot, then Colbert, then Jackson, then Bill Hader, then back to Colbert again.

An IMPOSSIBLE number!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Tuxedo Ted posted:

poo poo I just realized. The Monarch had to move into his old family home in Jersey, and the Ventures are taking over Jonas Jr.'s corporate HQ in New York. I hope there's an episode about the Monarch's crappy commute to go arch Venture. Edit: well I guess we already got some of that stuff in the pilot with the subway.

FETCH ME A NEW JERSEY TRANSIT SCHEDULE

I have done that commute. Nnnnngh.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Hank looks like he's wearing a Cobra Kai gi, which he has done in the past. Or maybe a metal t-shirt with the sleeves torn off, which also makes sense if he's gotten even more into Shallow Gravy. And Dean is in a wifebeater?

Also, has the (new) Sovereign done something different with her hair? It goes well with the Guild uniform. It'll be cool to see her in the leadership role, though it'll absolutely gently caress with the dynamics of their marriage...

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

prefect posted:

Was "The Sovereign" a title or a name? I know Force Majeure was in charge pre-Bowie, but I don't know if he was also "The Sovereign".

Dean was briefly the Sovereign, as was Phantom Limb (or at least he claimed to be).

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ultramiraculous posted:

I just can't imagine what undocking that submarine must be like.

It's just sitting in a pool, like Krieger's narcosub in Archer.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Haha, that was great.

They're really good at writing banter during tense scenes, aren't they. Scenes like the one the thread title is taken from!

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
THE NOZZLE IS CALIBRATING.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMM0lRfX6YI

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
More excited for this than for Star Wars. Not even joking.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Was making dinner for my parents when I looked down and realized that the knife in my hand was a Wusthoff. It was all I I could do not to throw my head back and scream "PHANTOM LIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIMMMMMB!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blind Sally posted:

I have to ask: what is your avatar from?

The best webcomic. http://gunnerkrigg.com/

The author posts on these forums as Tea-San.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Pope Guilty posted:

Possibly my favorite thing in that whole special is that the Monarch knows what kind of kitchen knives Phantom Limb prefers. He's a real professional of hate.

It helps that Phantom Limb is loving obsessed with fine kitchen knives. He even dragged Dr. Ex-Girlfriend (at the time) to a knife store to look at them. "I shall prepare a MARINADE tonight!"

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Blind Sally posted:

A good set of knives will make all the difference in the kitchen. Hugely sympathetic to Phantom Limb in this instance.

It was a fantastic knife after I sharpened it. Which I don't think had been done in years.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

cenotaph posted:

It's not cutlery per se but I can't figure out what the hell the serrated knife on my leatherman is for. The saw is better for branches and stuff, and the non-serrated blade is better for everything else I've needed to cut. Why is it there?

Bread.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

TK-42-1 posted:

But it's unironically the best commentary I e ever heard.

Ever heard Frakes spend two hours taking the piss out of Star Trek: Insurrection with a drunk Marina Sirtis? It's pretty far up there.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Reminder that the Sovereign's new album comes out tomorrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Someone needs to make up a multilayered cocktail, set it on fire, and call it The Venture Compound.