Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN posted:

The best part of rewatching the older episodes is wondering if random characters could make a return in the upcoming season, and what kind of episode could be done with them. Will we ever see the return of Tiny Eagle? Manic 8-Ball? Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Coat? Maybe they'll defrost Ook-Ook, and explain how he got frozen in a block of ice to begin with. And with all of the musicians in the Guild, will the guy from Depeche Mode make an appearance?

That's the beauty of the Venture Bros' writing style, there's so many possibilities. They turned Captain Sunshine and Monstroso from clever names to use in tossed-off jokes, to major characters in some of season 4's best episodes.

They also have names for characters that they only bring up on commentary. I think it's in the commentary during the party at Hatred's that they point out a guy in the background apparently named Unicornelius who I don't think has ever been brought up in the actual show.

To go back to best first episodes, I really think Any/Every Which Way But Zeus is amazing. It really describes almost everything in the Venture-verse perfectly:
-The cold opening of Billy and White fighting during the kidnapping
-Brock and Hunter's "mournful tits" dialogue
-Rusty being a narcissist and terrible father for most of the episode
-Treister giving one of his absolutely incredible monologues
-Dragoon and Red Mantle ("You have no business here, no business!")
-The Guild and their methods ("Unless the loss of life thing happens, then we send your widow a jar of blood and a very nice card")
-The entire episode resolving itself without the council accomplishing anything at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I'm also wondering what happened to the streaked-hair chick from Victor-Echo-November. I remember her being mentioned last season but for the life of me I can't remember in what context.

Rehab and now "she's all Christian" according to Triana in Operation PROM when Hank asks about her.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I just got very excited that Dean with the hair net was one of the Orange County resistance fighters...oh well.

Fake Edit: loving Bachman! I hope they use her more than in that scene.

Real Edit: I want a pad that durable.

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jun 10, 2013

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

It looked like the lost son of Atlantis was on one of the boats too.

What the hell, both of the Ventures are competent now? This is going to be an awesome season.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Very happy I signed up for the subscription, can't wait for my Venturestein Guevara shirt.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

He hasn't gotten the brainwave to start recruiting yet. He's still in 'useful cog'/henchman mode.

Knowing Gary, though - he'd probably recruit at local Ren Faires and comic conventions. I can see it now:

"Dude, who smells like poo poo?" *sniffs everybody* "You! Recruit Roose Bolton, why do you smell like poo poo?"

"My mom hasn't done my laundry this week, sir!"

"Y...*facepalms*...UNACCEPTABLE! From now on you're to be known as Recruit Reek!"

I'm guessing most of them will be from the Orchard Street Wolfpack.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Nice screen grabs, guess it wasn't the lost son of Atlantis. That monkey looks a bit like the nut sniffing monkey Ben had in the Halloween special though, probably just a reused model though.

Was anyone able to make out what URGH stood for? I could only catch what I thought was humanoids and I couldn't make out the rest through the interlacing when I paused.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Someone said this in here already but Haine is French for hatred so there's that at least.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Since someone else called every General Treister speech stitched together it's gotta be the brutally upbeat OSI music video.

We'll shatter your skulls and make children cry - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz59tFR2KMs

Which is immediately followed by the incredibly well read: the village people called, and they want you to go loving kill yourself you prancy bastard!

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

evilwaldo posted:

There is something messed up there regarding the Monarch's past. Early on he said that he was raised by butterflies in Mexico (?) so maybe there is some event that scarred him.

....or his parents just boned Jonas all the time ignoring him and Rusty was a jerk so his happiest memories from childhood were of running around the yard chasing butterflies.

His plane crashed in New Jersey, minutes after take off and when he was done playing with butterflies he walked 5 minutes to a freeway.

It's definitely going to be some childhood grudge he's been holding, remember what they did with orb? Doc and Jackson pretty much gently caress with spergs intentionally.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

a cock shaped fruit posted:

Side note: When I saw the driver of the truck at the start, for a second my heart leapt as I thought it was Manic Eightball.

I thought this exact same thing until I put it together the 2nd time that it was a drat division symbol on their faces, for long division, the math thing. :downs:

KilGrey posted:

No he didn't. Not to mention there is no way he could have done it. Dr. Mrs. Girlfriend left the detonator on her throne and ran outside. The monarch had that ridiculously huge, heavy suit on that was malfunctioning and spitting him around like a deflating balloon when the explosion went off. They might have gotten him settled by that point but regardless, he was nowhere near the detonator to trigger it.

At that point he was on the ground covered in vomit wasn't he? I thought the scene was Brock saying "Hey Monarch, I'm taking your fuckin car" and the Monarch weakly responding "Kay" then the explosion. It doesn't help that he could really move his hands in the suit.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Which reminds me, I love how casually everybody treats the fact that 21 Viceroy Sphinx Commander Gary killed an eight year old boy. A murderous one, sure, but still!

The kid was an A hole.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Cloks posted:

I'm glad there's a non-sperg to tell me how to enjoy a show. That's really not :spergin: at all.

People are going to enjoy this however they want and insisting that we don't dissect every joke and reference is just going to end poorly.

Dissect, don't eviscerate!

Anyway, let's do that and stop arguing about who's watching the show correctly, it's really stupid.

So who else was a big dummy that didn't get the long division/short division jokes at first?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Then what? He gave him back? Monarch's family died traveling with him.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Welcome to the club!

When you get the DVD's be sure to watch the commentary (afterwards of course) even if you're not really into that stuff. It's like a great b-side to the episodes.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Watching it again I just realized that when Jonas is diving in the opening he finds the ancient drachmas that Giorgos gives out for the Spanikopita games.

I also didn't really like it the first time because the twist took so long to play out but I completely disagree with the St Cloud hate; I think it helps that I really like Billy and White but I hope they keep bringing him back.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

What part of that suit is androgynous?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

If their banner is to believed you can buy fissionable material as well, you could probably resell that if you don't mind ending up on a watch list.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

48DD...

And that was totally Ken Doll Michaels.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

For reference, the real sovereign.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

JT Jag posted:

The thing in the front or one of the things in the back

I'm guessing the half Bowie in front.

That dry dock shot is straight from the Star Trek reboot.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Holy poo poo his code name is Bum Rush. I love this show.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

No way was she in the suit.

Oh poo poo, out-twisted by Doc and Jackson again.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Okay what the gently caress are those ghost guy things seriously?

Seriously? Just don't worry about it, they're awesome. Doc and Jackson will not give you an answer because it's too funny to gently caress with people that get hung up on stupid poo poo.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Probably Infected posted:

No one from OSI even knows they exist though right? I just remember them taking King Gorilla's heart for Monstroso's operation.

Publick and Hammer are just great at world building, even it doesn't really go anywhere.

They know them by name as The Investors. Hunter mentions it when White comes by with the check to try and pay Sphinx to find Billy.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

He says Shuttle Cock, Slap Chop, Bum Rush and Tank Top so Shuttle Cock is the one with the racket.

Also, looking at pictures, Slap Chop is just the guy from the Shamwow and Slap Chop commercials with a funny suit on.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

axleblaze posted:

I have no idea what to name the topic this week. This was more of a plot episode rather than a joke episode. Any ideas?

No...I can't talk about that. I was napping.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Action Tortoise posted:

I like that Shore Leave got immediately suspicious with Afterburner since his mask is exactly like Mol's Rookie mask from S.P.H.I.N.X.

Molotov's Sphinx infiltration mask is also really similar to the one Leia wears in Return of the Jedi to infiltrate Jabba's palace.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Wow, you're absolutely right; I've never even heard of that guy so good catch. Is there another joke there then?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

They even say on the commentary that the detail of the nudity is a bit weird so you're definitely not the only one thinking that. I know I don't need to see Jonas' dong in Rusty's face again. :barf:

I think they said somewhere that they were surprised they got to show Hatred's manboobs uncensored so I'm guessing that TV-MA doesn't let them show non-sexual nudity.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Just so everyone knows, spoiler tagging images will not hide them if people are using the iOS Awful app so there may be some not too happy people showing up.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Djarum posted:

It does it here. Maybe you need to update your app.

Yep, I'm the fool. I'll give you a Hank buck for for the help.

You can't have my Hank bucks:colbert:

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

They're pretty blatant about Doc lying to the boys about their age. In one of the episodes Hank gets something with his birthday on it and says "If this is right I'm..." and Doc cuts him off saying "Curiosity killed more than the cat, boy".

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's no way that Doc Venture is all the way dead. If they really wanted to kill him off they'd make it more gruesome to really ram it in.

I think the way they'd do it is leave him possibly dead going into the finale and completely finish him off in the final episode.

I'll also echo all the holy poo poo in this thread. The only way this gets better is if the big finish is resolved by supermecha Treister showing up to be the deus ex machina.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

KilGrey posted:

At 2:19, is...is The Monarch dressed up like Lo Pan?

Definitely Lo Pan.

So speculating from the season 5 trailer:

You can see Dr. Mrs. The Monarch with Doc in his goofy clown costume suit and tie so he definitely lives. I also think we haven't seen the scene of Doc walking down the road mostly naked as the hover tank drives past so presumably he escapes with her help and unbeknownst to Hatred. Then you have that scene with Hatred shelling the cocoon which makes sense but I still have no idea how Gary ends up all First Blood in the woods with Hatred.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Wasn't Hector the Venture universe's Haji?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

soupcan58 posted:

drat, Col. Gentleman is still loving brutal, it seems.

Horace and the rest of Old Team Venture all seem to have a dangerous streak of insane brutality.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Ya, same here, pretty much nailed the Fight Club look. I also like the idea that the Revenge Society is squatting there. It helps explain why they showed the Revenge Society cameo and looking back at the scene where Billy helps Red Mantle and Dragoon it really looks like it's supposed to be the kitchen where they do the hand burning scene in Fight Club.

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I just watched The Doctor is Sin and realized that you actually see Brock road haul the guy whose costume Shoreleave wears to get into Don Hell's. He doesn't wear the full costume but it's the exact mask.

GD_American posted:

Oh Christ, we're in for another year+ of this kind of poo poo, aren't we?

Did you know the theme is failure?

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Either way, good catch whoever found it. That's a pretty cool looking place too. Also for comparison, the Paper Street Soap Company house that a few of us immediately associated it with:

Definitely similar but not it obviously.

Anyway, I'm rewatching season 3 still and during Invisible Hand of Fate the OSI guy that Brock talks to at the end looks and sounds a lot like Hatred. Coincidence or :spergin:?

Dynamite Dog fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jul 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

Tangentially related to VB - if you aren't following Doc Hammer on twitter I would recommend it. So far the only things he's tweeted are notes about his visits to the bathroom.

Doc Hammer posted:

@TheDocHammer 7h
2. 4:08: Home again and on my bowl. How perfect you are. Not too high, not too wide. I know in my heart Goldilocks would poo poo here.

Doc Hammer posted:

@TheDocHammer 25 Jul
1. 12:09pm: There's a toilet in my train berth. I repeat: "There's a toilet in my bedroom, not a bed in my bathroom." until I believe it.