Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I'm loving it so far, but it seems like we might end up with an episode that's all setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

DrBouvenstein posted:

Now that GoT just ended, this is all I have to look forward to on Sunday nights.

I even stay up past my bedtime for it.

Tonight is a glorious blip of Game of Thrones, followed by Mad Men, followed by Venture Bros.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

soupcan58 posted:

Holy gently caress. All of Hatred's problems seem to lie with the OSI!

From that fever dream it kinda seems like we might get an arc with him where we find out he was never a pedophile to begin with, but that the OSI hosed with his brain for some reason and the pedophilia was a side effect. I hope not, that'd be a copout.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

A Dapper Walrus posted:

The big question on everyone's minds about the Monarch is: If those really are his parents, where the hell did his eyebrows come from?

And nose.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Man, that was the weirdest episode in a while.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

TontoCorazon posted:

I've said it before but where the hell is Doctor Orpheus and the triad?

Very hopefully, either the entire second half of the season or on their way to becoming a spinoff.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Bloodnose posted:

So JP and Doc Hammer just write the show as they go along, right? It really seems like there's no overarching story that they've outlined since the beginning. It looks a lot like they're winging it, considering the threads they've left out in past seasons and never tied up. So it feels kind of pointless to speculate and sperg about stuff when, unless it was already written for this season, the showrunners probably have no more idea what they were doing with that thread than we do.

That's... kind of the point. They use the fandom as a way to make meta-commentary within the show and let the show evolve on its own terms. I would hate it if they tried to plan too far ahead. Then we wouldn't get so many sad fans being disappointed that Kim became Christian and lives in Florida or whatnot.

Otherwise this show would turn into Adventure Time where fan fiction becomes cannon and it disappears up its own rear end. If Venture Bros. wants to give a character a tragic backstory, you'd better believe they're not going to take themselves so seriously that it ruins the show, they're going to gently caress with people's expectations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Uncle Wemus posted:

Season finale already?

Are we going to wait another 3 years for the next season now? :ohdear:

According to a podcast a few pages back, they're aiming for late 2014 or early 2015.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

JT Jag posted:

I only just noticed that the man looks like he is frowning in that picture.

Not to me. I see a smile line next to his nose.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

twistedmentat posted:

I was watching CNN and they had a quick bit on Comic Con, and a really really excellent female Underbite walked by.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

X_Toad posted:

Nope, there were three rows of four pictures, Boggles included, Dragoon and Red Mantle separated.

The authors said in SDCC that "the next season's premiere, that's our finale". Apparently, this episode will be a return to basics.

Return to the House of the Mummies: Part IV!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Completely agreed with the Colonel about Salem moments :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Shuffle posted:

Monarch's Robe looks like old school Doctor Who Time Lord regalia

Pretty sure that was Ming the Merciless from Flash Gordon.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What a weird finale. I like how it was a smaller episode, but outside of the post-credits sequence it felt a bit like filler.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

bobkatt013 posted:

He really does not care for him.
The thing is Monarch cared for Gary. He has total faith in him and finds him to be the only person he can really trust. Also no one treated him with any respect at the Venture Compound and that is why he went back. If Brock invited him to OSI or Team Venture did not treat him like an unwanted guest he would not have gone back.

I wish we'd seen that on screen, though. What we saw was him running around trying new things and being mediocre at them, there was no character journey there.

And yeah, it really felt like we were prepped to have something with that photo of his dad that Monarch found, or the Revenge Society popping up last episode, or Molotov/Brock OSI something-or-other. To me it feels very intentional, but ultimately dissatisfying.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Jul 22, 2013

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

qirex posted:

I kept waiting for a "here's what Dean has been up to" episode because they didn't show him doing much and there were the cuts on his arms and the like but the Myra episode didn't quite do it.

I kind of felt like we missed half a season in there.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's obvious there's a split amongst people here when it comes to our feelings on this season. I have a theory that it chines down to whether you tend to lean more towards Doc Hammer episodes or Jackson Publick episodes. If y'all would indulge me, I'd like to get a sense for if those really correlate in an informal poll. Me?

Writer: Hammer
[b]Opinion:[b/] Mediocre season

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Pope Guilty posted:

My understanding is that they're close enough to a borg mind when it comes to writing that the writing credit on a given episode is almost completely meaningless.

They have very distinct writing styles and their episodes tend to have very different tones. McCollough tends to be more plot, structure, and character focused and Hammer tends to be more theme focused, heady, and irreverent. They definitely collaborate but they absolutely write their episodes separately. I'm sure story planning sessions are very mind-meldy, but from everything I've heard in interviews and from the clear differences in episode types, I'm surprised so many of you don't seem to notice.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Trabisnikof posted:

What are the most prototypical Doc Hammer and Jackson Publick episodes?

I don't know about most prototypical, but to me Hammer's style is kind of encapsulated by Escape to the House of Mummies Part II, and Publick's is more along the lines of The Invisible Hand of Fate or Perchance to Dean. I think the most well-rounded episodes are the ones where they share co-writing credit, like Powerless in the Face of Death or Showdown at Cremation Creek.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dracula Factory posted:

I think people don't like Spanikopita because it isn't heavy on the popular characters and takes place outside any of the normal settings. I really liked the backstory portions of it and I think there were a lot of good jokes in there.

Spanikopita is the new Dr. Quymn.

I also happen to very much like both episodes :colbert:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

OctaviusBeaver posted:

People don't like Dr. Quymn :psyduck:

Everyone on here seems to hate it, or at least they did at the time. And I don't understand that opinion one iota.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
From an AMA on Reddit, from Annie Wu, color designer for Season 5:

quote:

I was the color designer for characters, props and effects for Season 5. I might be doing something else next season but this is a relatively new development so nothing's for sure.
Hey, you want to know something dumb that I've always wanted to share but never have an opportunity to bring up in regular conversation? When I was getting notes from Jackson Publick for the "SPHINX Rising" episode, he offhandedly suggested giving Shore Leave's suitcase some kind of Louis Vuitton-looking monogram look. So I went loving NUTS and designed a whole ridiculous SPHINX / Shore Leave themed pattern with his initials, anchors, and the SPHINX skull. I spent a good chunk of time on it. And then when I saw the final episode on TV, I realized you could only see the top part of the suitcase. For, like, half a second. But it got a laugh out of Jackson when I showed it to him so it's all good.
Anyway. Pause it when Shore Leave leaves the warehouse in that episode and admire the suitcase. Know that I spent, like, thirty minutes on it.
Actually, now that I've written it out, I realize it's probably not a particularly interesting story to anyone else, which is most likely why I've never been able to bring it up in conversation. It was a nice pattern.

Anyone have a screengrab?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Other than Comic Con panels or the AV Club interview or their commentaries, are there any other interviews/panels/podcasts/etc that we could see or hear Hammer or Publick on? I think I could listen to them be Cool Nerds forever.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I always wonder, are the items in these promos some day going to be as rare and sought-after as the original Johnny Quest PF Flyers or decoder rings or whatnot? I sure hope so.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Is it so much to ask for an X1 toy? Or a HELPeR.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

Adult Swim posted the panel at NYCC by the way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zG-AaUlL4hA

I wish they didn't have a successful television show so they could make a weekly podcast.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

achillesforever6 posted:

James Urbaniak just tweeted this

Its beautiful :swoon:

I literally gasped out loud when this showed up on my screen. Incredible.

e: also, if you guys love Venture Bros. but haven't seen Danger 5, there's a lot of shared DNA there. The pilot is on Youtube, but the series is better.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hedrigall posted:

Okay I was sold on this show the instant they kill the fake nun with a handful of change to the face.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epQA-kq_b8Y

Edit: and holy poo poo the gunshot through the phone AHAHAHAHA

Oh snap, looking at the related links on there, the whole series is available. I think the absolute most Venture Bros.-like episode is Lizard Soldiers of the Third Reich, in which our original Team Venture-esque heroes fly their jet to Antarctica, only to find it a tropical jungle inhabited by Nazi dinosaurs and a sinister super-scientist. I don't want to spoil anything, but let's just say some highly evolved primates with a penchant for jazz play a large part in the plot.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seems strange to me that they're using Season 1 hank and Season 2 Dr. Girlfriend.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Maduo posted:

I don't care what Doc Hammer says, I would play a Venture Bros game in the style of Riven.

Yeah, I'm the sort of guy who loves their dumb mego dolls. I'm sure I'd love whatever dumb game they come up with. Though my vote goes to an awful one-screen Atari 2600 game, or a mostly text adventure game like Mystery House.

e: Programmed and released for an actual 2600 or Apple II, of course.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
How much direct experience do you have with rednecks? It is easy not to like that show if you can't stand rednecks, despite how good the writing may or may not be. I, for one, can't stand watching them even if it's satire, so sadly I'm missing out on Trailer Park Boys as well.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Frame them on your wall. Or give them to me to frame on my wall.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hank & crew are good ol' boys not rednecks.

I use redneck as shorthand for white trash, I don't even know what a good ol' boy is but the difference to me is negligible - either way I knew too many people like that growing up and don't enjoy watching them in my televised entertainment. I don't care if it's making fun of them, I find the characters unpleasant to watch.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Phylodox posted:

The difference between Seinfeld and Arrested Development is that I never actually ended up hating the Bluths.

But I loved that I ended up hating the Seinfeld-ians, as humans. That doesn't mean that I found them unpleasant to watch, though. I reveled in their badness, and loved how low they had become by the finale. I get no such pleasure out of Hank Hill vehemently defending fossil fuels, or destroying his son's self confidence.

Either way, this has nothing to do with how amazing Venture Bros is.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Um, guys. Live action The Tick is coming back with Patrick Warburton and Ben Edlund. AKA the closest we'll ever get to a live action Venture Bros.

I'm so happy we live in this world where the live action Tick gets a second chance, but hopefully this time without the lovely writing in the post-pilot episode.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 30, 2014

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Fuuuuuuck

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On one hand, I love love love those Hardy Boys-esque illustrations on those sheets. On the other hand, there's no way I'm ever going to put sheets like that on my bed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Get a new bed.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Don't lie. You mean a boyfriend pillow.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

sbaldrick posted:

I wear my OSI shirt all the time, no one has ever asked about it :(

That's because you're the sort of person who would wear an OSI shirt in public.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Heh, as pointed out in the CBB thread, Netflix has detailed content warnings for shows.

"Brock is a bodyguard with no boundaries and a deviant sexual appetite; Dr. Venture is a manic depressive with a nasty disposition" and "Brock always has a cigarette clenched in his teeth; Dr. Venture is addicted to prescription painkillers and drinks a lot" sound like they could be a DVR description of like half the episodes.