Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

CubanMissile posted:

The problem with The Boys is I'm not seeing a whole lot there that wasn't already done in Powers, other similar comics, or the Venture Brothers.

The Boys takes like five years to do what Marshall Law did in four issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

For a long time Patrick Stewart was trying to get Transmetropolitan made with himself as Spider.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The OSI stuff in particular is amazing because most of GI JOE lore was built off a pitch Marvel writer Larry Hama did for a SHIELD series that didn’t make it. So OSI starts out as a SHIELD clone and then segues into a GI JOE riff about what happens if SHIELD “86ed the dress code.”

The Venture Bros. is one of my favorite shows ever because its entire animating principle is “yes, and...” and it’s been the same two guys making it happen for close to 20 loving years now. That’s an insane run for any creative endeavor.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I have nothing to say about this post, other than this: I loving adore your avatar.

Believe it or not, I appreciate you saying that quite a bit.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

“It happened at sea! See? ‘C’ for Catwoman!”

Batman 66 is the best Batman movie, I yield the rest of my time.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Criterion edition of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas has a commentary track featuring Thompson. He has some insights about writing the book, some stories about helping Johnny Depp get into character, and a lot of unprompted screaming.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I love that the copter pilot also did the voiceover for the hype video. Like they hired him for the voice and gave him pilot training afterward.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

I love that he's so into villainy that he doesn't even have street clothes. The most inconspicuous outfit he could muster, the only thing that didn't have actual Monarch branding on it, was a Beaver Inspector shirt he'd had in the back of his closet for years.

He is into costumed business, not costumed play.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Piper posted:

A Top 5 line from the series. Easily.

It’s kind of the perfect distillation of what the show is all about, I think.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Except when it comes to his sex life.

Even though Monarch can’t seem to do literally anything without putting on a costume, I like that the show portrays him and Dr. Girlfriend as having a healthy physical relationship. A different show probably would have made the costumes the joke, but on VB the joke is more of the “Drogo, not Drago” variety.

Overall the show has a great deal of sympathy for its characters even at their most pathetic.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

feedmyleg posted:

Yeah, my ideal is that the film closes off the outstanding story threads and gives an emotionally satisfying conclusion and it feels done.

...and then we get some kind of spinoff, whether it's a show or an occasional special or a comic or whatnot. They've created their own expansive comic book universe and I'd love to get to explore more corners of it. Given the choice I'd want a Triad show, obviously.

My ideal VB spin-off would be set in the NYC superhero/villain scene. I want more Brown Widow, Captain Sunshine, Doom Factory etc.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

TK-42-1 posted:

I got some bad news for you...

It could be a period piece!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

My favorite part of the book is when they’re reminiscing about “Love Bheits.” Publick spends two pages talking about how, yeah, there’s some stuff about Dean being mistaken for a girl that they would do differently, but there were a lot of great character designs and Warburton did a great job with this line and blah blah blah.

Then Hammer’s commentary is just “I loving hate this episode.” Next chapter!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

“I mean, come on! He was in Depeche MoOoOode!”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

There's something almost adorable about Rusty believing Dolly Parton was going to get naked in "Best Little Whorehouse in Texas."

It's not, but almost.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The fact that VB existed at all is kind of a miracle, let alone seven seasons and a movie. Publick and Hammer got to make the show they wanted, and got everyone to wait years between seasons for it. That’s almost unbelievable.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Khanstant posted:

Yeah, it's a shame because I was digging through his stuff a while back and a lot of it is still funny and relevant and his style is so unique it never got wrung out the way others have. If nothing else, his voice and inflection was stellar and we're really unfortunate to not have any VA or characters around doing even just impressions of it.

Daws Butler is another VA there's really been no replacement for.

I'm actually kind of blanking on non-vb modern cartoon characters who even have the kind of exaggerated voices and inflections of that era, but I also don't watch many kids cartoons anymore. The stuff I do recall all seem to have way more naturalistic-contemporary approach.

My wife and I watched the Ann-Margret version of Bye Bye Birdie and Lynde plays her father in it. Nothing I’ve seen lately has made me laugh as hard as hearing Paul Lynde say, “this house that I hewn from wilderness with MY OWN TWO HANDS!”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

MCU Dr. Strange is kind of a dry, snarky bitch, so wouldn’t The Alchemist be a better fit?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Strange is just Magic Iron Man in the MCU, which would be okay except a lot of MCU characters are just different shades of Robert Downey Jr.

Comic book Strange would be all, “This augurs ill - I fear the very fabric of the universe may be torn asunder!”

Movie Strange be all, “Well this is turning out to be a crappy weekend.”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

This isn't even just an MCU problem anymore, Disney seemingly mandated all characters be between 25% and 80% Tony Stark. See for example Poe Dameron making a prank call on a star destroyer.

I thought that was more of a callback to Han Solo’s “reactor leak” bit on the Death Star, but my god you’re probably right.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

pixaal posted:

Hello! I'm David Bowie

CELEBRITY VOICE IMPERSONATED

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mike Nelson seemed reluctant and embarrassed to post here and I’ve always respected him for that.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Ohtsam posted:

They still own them they just asked them not to refer directly to them by name later because they had designs to revive a lot of the IP.

In the art book they talk about Action Johnny, saying something to the effect of, "You can't keep calling it parody if you keep using him all the time."

It fits better that the Venture universe is full of knock-off characters, anyway. It's a world of real superheroes and super-scientists trying and failing to emulate the superheroes and super-scientists from pop culture.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I just rewatched Operation: PROM last night, and I think out of the entire show I miss Gary the most. Him breaking down in Orpheus’ arms when he realizes Orpheus can’t see 24 was rough.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

It wasn't a separate theater. It was a theater setup in the cargo bay probably because it was the only place large enough to fit the whole crew.

Yeah, of course they were expecting a huge turnout.

SHARKEY’S MACHINE.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

~ Also: who is your least favorite character and why is it Dermott? Gods I hate him. Just the absolute wrong combination of self-aggrandizing chuuni and vaguely aggressive not quite a bully but mostly because he's bad at being a bully type. He's also the least self-aware character in the series outside of Jonas.

Dermott is the very definition of "love to hate" for me, stupid and cruel but ultimately harmless. If he had any further impact on the show beyond getting his rear end kicked by Dean I'd probably hate him more.

Sgt. Hatred, on the other hand...

I've never really liked Hatred as part of the cast. He worked better as a recurring background joke than a main character. I respect that they made a sincere effort to make him more than a running gag, but what they made out of him was never to my taste. All the simpering neediness, the constant callbacks to his sexual dysfunctions, the fact that he never really developed any kind of chemistry with the Venture family — he never brought anything good to the table. He worked better as a foil to the Monarch and a window into the world of professional super-villainy than a primary character. He was the Ventures' try-hard stepmom, and that's a tough character to get behind.

EDIT: VVV That goes to my point — everything about Sgt. Hatred was off-putting to me. Just a big pile of ick.

Splint Chesthair fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Feb 1, 2024

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

He's also probably the only person walking around with Venture DNA that doesn't need a ton of therapy.

That will depend a great deal on whether Dermott ever finds out what's going on with his "mom" and "sister," I suspect.

I maintain that Hank, despite his issues with dissociative identity disorder, stands the best chance of being the most well-adjusted Venture. Case in point, after he asks the Alchemist what his dick looks like because he assumes all gay men are transgender:

JEFFERSON: Aren't you just a little ashamed of your ignorance?
HANK: Yeah, constantly!

Hank knows he's a freak of nature, he knows he's lived the furthest thing from a normal life, he knows there's a lot more about the world than he's experienced. He's okay with that, and he makes an honest effort to grow as a person without throwing away who he is. Contrast that with Dean, whose identity crisis led him either to reject everything about his life or allow his dad to remold him entirely in his image.

Hank is just Hank, and he's always going to be Hank no matter what happens to him. I say Hank and Sheila are the only two characters on the show who have their poo poo figured out in a healthy way.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The scene where he almost loses control because of the elves in the Lord of the Rings analogy will always be funny to me.

“Heh, there sure are a lot of REALMS in this thing…”

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Is there anything in the show to support the idea that Billy is a Venture, other than his mom being in Team Venture’s orbit?

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

I love my Guild of Calamatous Intent shirt

But I wish they had more base colors than black and gray. 24 on a powder blue background could be good

It’s powder blue…

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

tarlibone posted:

Unrelated, but the show that gave us your avatar recently had it's anniversary. My FB feed was filled with Greatest American Hero content.

Truly blessed. I loved that dumbass show as a kid, to the point where I had a 45 of the theme song and my mom made me a Ralph costume for Halloween one year. I’ve gone back to it a few times and wondered what the hell was wrong with me at 6 years old.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah, well. Nobody can see it. >_>

Why would he need to? Nothing can penetrate his ELECTRICALLY IMPALPABLE LIMBS!

He needs to be able to MESS UP A GUY JUST BY TOUCHING HIM whenever.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I don’t think they started out drawing all or most of the backgrounds themselves.

The earliest examples of Orpheus’ apartment on the compound had a weird staircase to nowhere behind a bookcase because Doc Hammer put a note in the script saying the room has a bookcase that “looks like there would be a hidden stairway behind it” or something to that effect.

I remember that bit from one of the commentaries and now I can’t unsee that janky staircase whenever it appears.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

I definitely read the wiki page on Warhol’s Factory after that episode, just to see how well everyone matched up with their Legion of Doom counterparts.

“Shehemoth” is too good a name to waste on a one-off joke character. That’s straight out of 70s Marvel. The Thing definitely teamed up with Nighthawk to fight her in Marvel Two-in-One.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Rusty would be the kind of guy to watch Lifetime movies for spank bank material.