Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
I'm not acquainted with the idea of eating jamaica flowers (and had never heard them called that) but that looks pretty good. I was looking on Amazon for some to order and all the ones I see only mention making tea from them, like these. Can I eat these?

I do have a couple Latin markets nearby, but I was planning an Amazon order anyway and thought I'd see if I could just toss these in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

guppy posted:

I'm not acquainted with the idea of eating jamaica flowers (and had never heard them called that) but that looks pretty good. I was looking on Amazon for some to order and all the ones I see only mention making tea from them, like these. Can I eat these?

I do have a couple Latin markets nearby, but I was planning an Amazon order anyway and thought I'd see if I could just toss these in.

They are the same, hibiscus flowers. You can make tea and then eat them.

Another Mexican flowery snack you can make is zucchini flower quesadillas.

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

guppy posted:

Yep same thing, you could also try making Agua de Jamaica , which is great especially for hot days :)

ogarza posted:

Another Mexican flowery snack you can make is zucchini flower quesadillas.

I have some zucchini flowers right now that I've been wondering what to do with and will have to try this!

Humboldt Squid fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 19, 2015

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Humboldt Squid posted:

I have some zucchini flowers right now that I've been wondering what to do with and will have to try this!

:toot:

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

nice!

flesy
May 6, 2007
y=mx+b
whoaaaa jamaica tacos? I'm gonna make them today, Yesterday we made chile seco all ghetto by just blending random dry chiles we had lying around with corn oil and then popped it in the microwave for a little and it came out tasting pretty good in the pozole we made.

I was surprised at how simple Aurelio made it all he did was add like 13 pounds of espinazo and water to a boil and added some thyme at the end and a big can of hominy, added with the ghetto chile seco we made it was really really good. Also @ whoever was looking for hibiscus just go to your latino grocer or herb person at the farmers market.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
So I am still in Switzerland, and still on my way to making some delish mexican food. I had a torta the other day at a food truck, and the guy cooked some ground beef and then sprinkled this salt mixture on it that made the meat taste really really good. And I'm wondering if this sort of thing rings any bells. I tried to catch a glimpse of the bottle, and I couldn't get anything from it, so there's the possibility that it's a homebrew mixture or some poo poo. Anyways, it made the meat pop and I could see myself using it in select circumstances. Sorry if that's really vague, but if that rings any bells I'd love to hear it.

Totally Reasonable
Jan 8, 2008

aaag mirrors

probably salt, pepper, garlic powder, ground chili, cumin, and oregano, or some similar combination.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug

bollig posted:

So I am still in Switzerland, and still on my way to making some delish mexican food. I had a torta the other day at a food truck, and the guy cooked some ground beef and then sprinkled this salt mixture on it that made the meat taste really really good. And I'm wondering if this sort of thing rings any bells. I tried to catch a glimpse of the bottle, and I couldn't get anything from it, so there's the possibility that it's a homebrew mixture or some poo poo. Anyways, it made the meat pop and I could see myself using it in select circumstances. Sorry if that's really vague, but if that rings any bells I'd love to hear it.

That is super vague, yeah. If it didn't drastically alter the flavor into something completely different, just added some background flavor to make the meat flavor "pop" as you said, my guess would be this stuff:

Adobo seasoning.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Doom Rooster posted:

That is super vague, yeah. If it didn't drastically alter the flavor into something completely different, just added some background flavor to make the meat flavor "pop" as you said, my guess would be this stuff:

Adobo seasoning.

Yeah I was guessing that it is some sort of all purpose seasoning. And I figured it was something that restaurants buy in bulk and throw on all of the beef they cook for example. I'll look around at the Adobo seasonings. Thanks.

Sweet As Sin
May 8, 2007

Hee-ho!!!

Grimey Drawer
Ground beef makes me sad!

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
You will have better results if you chomp up some sirloin than use ground beef, if you want it to taste mexican, also make sure you caramelize/fry the meat on a griddle before serving.

For street food, its always lard, salt, pepper, maybe garlic powder and/or celery salt... I would stay away from cumin in general though, that just makes it taste tex-mex. I would recommend adding a pinch of cumin and epazote to bean soup, though.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
I've watched some videos about how to make the non-dried Cecina. Does anyone have any tips on how to make it? Every place I've seen tells me just to buy it. Is that accurate?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
You mean like just the super thin cut seasoned meat? Get a deli slicer.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Discada

Here is a dish from the north of Mexico, traditionally it is made in a plow disc which has been welded so there is no hole, that is where the name comes from.

Since its hard to get those here in the US, a cast iron pan can work just as well.

3 roma/plumb tomatoes
2 garlic cloves
1 white onion
4 serrano peppers (if it's only me eating, I probably use 6, then 10 more for the salsa)
1 red bell pepper
2 lb chopped rib-eye
2 slices of bacon
1 beer
fresh oregano
fresh thyme

Chop half of the red bell pepper, 3/4 of the onion, 2 tomatoes, 3 of the peppers.

Chop the bacon and rib-eye.

Whatever you didn't chop, add to the blender. 1 tomato, 1/4 of the onion, half the red bell pepper, 1 serrano pepper, oregano, thyme (refer to picture for amount I use), add some beer, salt, and blend.

On high heat, add bacon to pan, add rib-eye to pan, once it's browned, add chopped vegetables to pan, after a few minutes of stirring, once the vegetables start looking like they are cooked, add the blended mixture and some beer. Drink the other half of the beer that is left over.

Stir often until all the water evaporates, the texture should be sticky, greasy, soft, and delicious.

Enjoy with soft corn tortillas, lime, salsa, and maybe some raw onion and cilantro.

Optional Salsa (technically a dressing, since we are using oil)

Fry 8 serrano peppers and 2 jalapeños in olive oil, about 1/4 - 1/3 of a cup, let it cool.

Put in a blender 1/4 onion, 1 garlic clove, the peppers, the oil you fried them in, juice of 2 limes, half an avocado, salt, pepper, cilantro, and blend for a couple of minutes until it is really smooth.

And here it is almost done (yes, it's super greasy street food)

ogarza fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Nov 22, 2015

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Pinkerton posted:

Dumb Northeasterner-gringo question.

Do you folk who are really into Mexican food pretty much exclusively make your own tortillas or is this something you do only on special occasions? It seems somewhat time consuming. Is it realistic to make homemade tortillas for, say, a weeknight dinner?

In case anyone is still wondering, the only good store bought tortillas I've found in the northeast are 'El Milagro', they're made in Chicago and you can find them in most korean/latin markets in the DC area. (Global food, coco's mart, lotte, etc).

You will find them in the refrigerated section, and they only last a couple of days, sometimes a few might have a bit of mold when you just buy them =(, just the price you have to pay. Stuff on the shelves like 'la banderita' that lasts weeks taste and smell like spoiled tortillas.

Dr. Platypus
Oct 25, 2007

ogarza posted:

In case anyone is still wondering, the only good store bought tortillas I've found in the northeast are 'El Milagro', they're made in Chicago and you can find them in most korean/latin markets in the DC area. (Global food, coco's mart, lotte, etc).

You will find them in the refrigerated section, and they only last a couple of days, sometimes a few might have a bit of mold when you just buy them =(, just the price you have to pay. Stuff on the shelves like 'la banderita' that lasts weeks taste and smell like spoiled tortillas.

I can confirm these are the best tortillas. I live in Chicago, and if you come in at the right time of day, they'll still be warm from the factory.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I like El Milagro tortillas, too. They have a factory on the edge of downtown here in Austin with a retail store attached where you can count on getting them fresh. I think they distribute them throughout much of Texas from there, as well.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

You mean like just the super thin cut seasoned meat? Get a deli slicer.

Yeah.... I don't know about that. Cecina I buy in stores doesn't look like sliced meat at all, at least meat that had used a deli slicer.

Do you have any more info on that?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

It's just like.....paper thin pork, sometimes beef or other meat. Seasoned. Do you mean something else? Because sometimes the same word means different things region to region.

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Mr. Wiggles posted:

It's just like.....paper thin pork, sometimes beef or other meat. Seasoned. Do you mean something else? Because sometimes the same word means different things region to region.

The cecina I know is sun dried beef steaks with a texture not unlike jerky. I don't know if this definition is endemic to Jalisco, tho'.

E: Apparently that's also what it is in Michoacán! http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/cecina-worth-its-salt.html Maybe there's a link between this and drug violence.

Pentaro fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 27, 2015

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Pentaro posted:

The cecina I know is sun dried beef steaks with a texture not unlike jerky. I don't know if this definition is endemic to Jalisco, tho'.

E: Apparently that's also what it is in Michoacán! http://mexkitchen.blogspot.com/2009/06/cecina-worth-its-salt.html Maybe there's a link between this and drug violence.

Oh, ok. Carne seca. Or machaca if you get it all shredded up.

I think it was the "non dried" thing that was throwing me off, because that sounded like the pork stuff.

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

Paper With Lines posted:

Yeah.... I don't know about that. Cecina I buy in stores doesn't look like sliced meat at all, at least meat that had used a deli slicer.

Do you have any more info on that?

cecina is thin sliced, heavily seasoned meat.. after cooking it might resemble sun dried beef, which i think is part of the confusion.

it's super salty.

if you are getting something else, its probably some south american fusion nightmare concocted by immigrants

it's very simple, slicy thinly, add salt on both sides, massage with oil (or liquified lard if you want to be more authentic) and rest for 24 hours.. then cook either soft or until crispy

here is how you cut it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGnHQqRG9WU

melt some lard, put some salt in a bowl

then you add salt on both sides, cover both sides with lard, grab another piece, salt both sides, put it on top of the 1st piece and add lard on top, repeat and keep stacking.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Dec 6, 2015

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Ah! That is where the confusion is coming in. It does look like it might be dried after cooking. Early research had suggested (and might still suggest?) that there is a jerky style? I'm not sure but yours is def. what I'm looking for. Do you know the cut of meat they're using? I can't tell from your video.

It also corresponds to this video I found, which I think I was originally in this thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw5s0iO7NCQ

Anyway, thanks for the help all.

edit: I have since found this http://www.mexican-authentic-recipes.com/beef-cecina.html which answers a ton of questions. I was thinking the cecina was totally cooked in the sun, like a jerky almost. I didn't realize it was usually pretty minimal. They also suggest tenderloin, which seems like a misuse of tenderloin, but cecina is so good....

Paper With Lines fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Dec 8, 2015

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Yeah, if I were to order it in Mexico, that is what I would expect, just put out in the sun for a couple of minutes on each side, if at all.

If you want to do it at home, you would normally just skip this step because where are you going to put all that meat.

Of course there are variations all over on how dried it is.

As for which cut, keep in mind this was originally used to preserve scraps of meat, but nowadays a good shank or the bottom part of the round is used, maybe beef tenderloin. Personally, I would go with the round.

ogarza fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Dec 15, 2015

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

Had this stuff at a Mexican place, it was called salsa but it was much thicker, had oil and chilis in it and not much else. Any idea what it was?

In Mexico, they also call dressings 'salsas', many of which are chilis and oil.

My favourite one is called salsa macha.

A very simple one you can do is olive oil and fried serrano peppers with some salt and lime.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Humboldt Squid posted:

Yep same thing, you could also try making Agua de Jamaica , which is great especially for hot days :)

It was a hot day and a surplus of Jamaica on the truck that taught me that jamaica can be used as a diuretic.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
I'm expirimenting lately with refried beans. Is there a consensus on the best tool for smoother consistency? I was mashing them by hand with a potato masher, but I can't seem to get the texture quite as smooth as I want.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008
Hmm I also use a potato masher, my mom sometimes put them in the blender before going to town on them with the potato masher, but maybe you just need a little more water? (or oil, when in doubt always use oil seems to be a general rule in cooking)

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I use a wooden spoon against the edge of the pot, but I like it chunky.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Glockamole posted:

I'm expirimenting lately with refried beans. Is there a consensus on the best tool for smoother consistency? I was mashing them by hand with a potato masher, but I can't seem to get the texture quite as smooth as I want.

I like my beans pretty chunky, but if I want it really smooth, I just throw a hand blender through it.

Glockamole
Feb 8, 2008
I tend to prefer them a bit chunky myself, but the soon-to-be Mrs prefers a smoother texture. Sadly, I think she wants something more like canned refried beans, but finding a safe middle ground seems like a worthy pursuit.
If it matters, the masher I have is the style with one undulating piece of metal, rather than a grid pattern. I don't know if a different style would change it. I also have a regular blender and mixer.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
did some black bean and spinach empanadas for a feature at work with a pickled jalapeno vinaigrette, i thought they turned out pretty awesome
im on my phone and dont know how to resize in the imgur app so hopefully this isnt breaking the tables

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ogarza posted:

You'll want to try these for sure:

http://www.vargastortillas.com/store/

They're made in my town but I have no affiliation with them - they'll ship so if you can't find good tortillas give them a shot

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

You'll want to try these for sure:

http://www.vargastortillas.com/store/

They're made in my town but I have no affiliation with them - they'll ship so if you can't find good tortillas give them a shot

I misread the descriptions and thought they were charging $1.50 per tortilla.

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

Which Rick Bayless restaurant in Chicago should I eat at?

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Tortilla Maker posted:

Cooking them with vinegar is new to me.

You'll want to rinse them thoroughly inside and out before starting the cooking process. Basically fill a pot/sink with water and soak them, giving them a good scrubbing, and you can even hook them up to you water spout to run water through the inside. They'll be at a good point when the water is as clear as you can get it.

If you're cooking them inside your kitchen, I'm assuming you're using a pot and not something like a disco.

Throw the tripe into a pot and cover with water. You'll start the cooking process by boiling the tripe. You'll probably want to season the water/tripe - at a minimum - with white onion and a very small amount of salt. (Some people will also add garlic, oregano, evaporated milk, orange juice, and/or chile ancho. My family just does the onion and salt).

You'll want to boil for probably 45 minutes to an hour. Maybe a bit longer if it's a lot of tripe or it isn't cooked through yet. My family will also cut the tripe into smaller pieces during the cleaning/rinsing part so that likely reduced the cooking time, whereas others will boil the tripe in full long pieces and not cut until the frying phase. Once that phase is finished you'll want to remove the tripe from the water and you'll press it remove as much of the water as you can.

Afterwards you'll start the browning/frying part. Some people will add lard/oil at this point but the tripe should release enough oil on its own to give it a good fry. If you haven't cut the tripe yet you'll want to do so during this phase. My family doesn't season during the frying part but some people/recipes will call for additional seasoning at this point.

How much you fry it is personal preference. Some people like them a bit chewy, others like them crispy almost like a chicharron. I personally prefer mine on the crispier side.

Cooking tripe will always release a pungent aroma. You're better off cooking them outside if it is at all possible.

I'm getting some tripe and planning on breaking in my new pressure cooker with it. How long should i adjust the time?
My liquid recipe is going to be beer, garlic, onion, bay, oregano, couple of dried chiles. Dry it, then wok/stir fry til crispy.

Paper With Lines posted:

Topo. Go nuts and get the tasting menu, otherwise get the ceviche sampler (trio trio trio), the mole ribeye (carne asada with fois gras), and the goat milk caramel dessert.

toplitzin fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 13, 2016

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Paper With Lines posted:

We went to Frontera a couple years ago and weren't impressed. Perfectly fine Mexican food at three times the price you'd pay anywhere else. Skip it.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Anyone have a good online source for dried chiles?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

No, but what kind you looking for? We have a pretty big ethnic grocery around here, maybe I could ship you some?

• Locked thread