Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Perpetual Hiatus posted:

Could someone please share with me their recipe for chilli beans? I love to eat them and would love a more authentic styled version, my version uses vegemite and other oddities. Preferably one that doesn't use pork bones or suchlike because I am a vego.

Not sure what chili beans are, but classic Mexican style pinto beans (frijoles de la olla) are fantastic and can be made veggie friendly. I use this recipe (I'm pretty sure I was linked from someone who posts here, but I forget who; kudos to whoever you are): http://chanfles.com/comida/beans/frijoles.htm

I usually add onions, cumin, chiles (fresh or dried), and bay leaves, cause I can't leave well enough alone. Leftovers are great for refried beans, which could also be veggie, just don't fry in lard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I can confirm that there are good taquerias in Sunset Park. I went to Matamoros, but there are tons of places up and down 5th ave.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I decided to make chile verde today.

First, the ingredients: Onion, chiles, tomatillos, garlic, cilantro, chicken stock, pork (shoulder or something with lots of connective tissue), and, of course, lard.

Next, slice you tomatillos in half and roast with your chiles under a broiler. While the veggies are roasting, brown your pork. Remember not to crow the pan.

Once the pork is browned, saute onions and garlic until soft and fragrant. Peel, seed and chop your chiles, and add to pan with onions and tomatilos. Add pork, chicken stock and seasoning (I used salt and pepper, bay leaf and cumin, cause that's what I had) and cook at a slow simmer until pork is fork tender.

Celebrate Chicharito's equalizer, and then cry when Mexico lose :mexico:. Once the chile verde is ready, garnish with cilantro and serve with fresh tortillas

This was my first time making this, but I was very pleased with the results.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

Well, when I was on a fishing charter in Cozumel, they prepared as follows:

Cut fish into small strips (you can use anything really, I can confirm that it was excellent with Dorado)
Cut onions, tomatoes, and chiles into equally sized pieces
mix together in a bowl with salt and plenty of lime juice, let sit for about 10-15 minutes until fish is "cooked" but still juicy
Add fresh cilantro and serve with hot quesadillas

I need to ask my Peruvian relatives how they do it, but the above was plenty tasty.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

That isn't carnitas, in fact, it destroyed the last thread. This is how you make carnitas:

bolo yeung posted:

Make old-school carnitas (carnitas michoacanas). Ditch the broth and slow cook that pork in lard with garlic cloves, orange peel, bay leaves, whole cumin seeds, a sprig of thyme, a sprig of oregano (Mexican ideally). When pork is tender, raise the heat to fry your large chunks of pork. No broth or broiler necessary. Some people will add Coke/orange Fanta/OJ/Milk at the end to caramelize or something or other onto the meat, making it darker. I've never done this, but some folks swear by it.

It doesn't take long to get tender, about 90-120 minutes. Delicious and very rich. I like to serve on fresh tortillas with a mixture of chopped onion and cilantro and lime wedges.

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I usually only end up using 1 package of snowcap manteca (1 lb) for a batch, although with a wider pan/more pork, you might need more, but its not like its expensive! (I get that its a lot of fat to cook with, I'm sure the recipe posted above is tasty).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PatMarshall
Apr 6, 2009

I made frijoles! Next time I need to find peruanos, but the pintos were quite nice.

Looking forward to refritos tomorrow.

• Locked thread