Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habnabit
Dec 30, 2007

lift your skinny fists like
antennas in germany.

Fedule posted:

If you still have any questions about the plot, there's a good chance they're one of the 93 that were posed to Uchikoshi (and Ben Bateman, the localisation editor) in an interactive Q&A session following the game's English release. There's a lot of great, interesting and funny stuff in there, and some of it may have even not been completely forgotten about in the years it took them to make the sequel happen.

quote:

My cherished theory is, “Once a piece of work leaves the hands of a writer, it becomes the readers’ work, who is the receiver.”
So just because the writer says something as supplemental information, I do not want you guys to think that is the right way to interpret it.

this plus the answers in the general theme of "idk; use your imagination" are kind of refreshing to see from a content creator. people want hard, definitive canons from primary sources, and: gently caress that.

thanks fedule from me as well. it was a great experience! even if i wasn't posting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Thanks Fedule. Really nothing else to say, I should really play ZTD soon.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Thanks for the LP Fedule. I ended up buying this game years ago while following along with the LP and while ZTD still was nothing but a futile hope in the minds of fans. Grabbed ZTD on steam day 1 and don't regret it at all. Far from perfect but there's really nothing else quite like it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

quote:

Q30: What prompts Dio to pull a knife on Clover?

Well, originally Dio was planning to do something even more messed up to Clover, but our president said NO to that idea for ethical reasons, so that scene was cut out

Japan

ArashiKurobara
Mar 22, 2013

OddHaberdasher posted:

Exactly what am I in for? What is the problem with the translation?

It's mostly decently functional but there's some amusing find-and-replace fails, at least one "okay did an editor even look at this line?" level nonsense, and kind of messes up a reveal by dropping a key detail early.

I haven't used it myself since I learned about after I'd read it but I believe there's a fan patch floating around out there that fixes most of the glaring stuff? It's still pretty much fine even without.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
Amazing. I followed this for five years, completely unspoiled, just to find out that it didn’t even have an ending - but that, in taking so long to be finished, the man behind it was able to go and create an ending for it. What a ride!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

OddHaberdasher posted:

Exactly what am I in for? What is the problem with the translation?

I think the most instructive thing to know about Ever17's translation is this: Fairly close to the end of the work someone obviously made a decision to change a character's nickname from "Youth" to "Kid". They did this with a find-and-replace throughout the entire script. Set to ignore capitalization. And spacing. It's very clear that no-one looked at the script again even once between that and release.

It's actually pretty readable for the most part, but when it has problems they're absurdly glaring.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

David Corbett posted:

Amazing. I followed this for five years, completely unspoiled, just to find out that it didn’t even have an ending - but that, in taking so long to be finished, the man behind it was able to go and create an ending for it. What a ride!
I dunno, I think VLR for the most part answers/resolves everything, except really for "Who is Phi?" Yes, there is a huge sequel hook, but you can more or less enjoy VLR's story while considering the Nevada Test Site as a black box.

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

BurningStone posted:

I can’t believe this is over, literally can’t believe it. Except the story clearly isn’t over, so it’s kind of like it isn’t. Very appropriate.

Great LP.

Yeah, this is how I feel about it too. I don't know if I'm going to get ZTD - I mean, I'm not actually good at puzzle games, or games where I have to think quickly, or solving mysteries, which is why I like reading someone else solving them! - but this was a fantastic experience even if I don't.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
If you've made any fan-content for this thread that you don't see listed in the second post or in the Spoiler Archive in that post, please let me know. I'd hate to miss anything.

Color Printer, do you want your incomplete plot chart archived, or would you prefer it to be removed?

RedMagus
Nov 16, 2005

Male....Female...what does it matter? Power is beautiful, and I've got the power!
Grimey Drawer
Bravo Fedule, you've done the good work, and it is appreciated. Thank you so much for introducing me to this and for letting me avoid any save game erasing bugs

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Quality LP. Now, if only we can arrange it so Virtue has the last post, then this thread will have achieved everything it could hope to.

Kanfy posted:

This is probably a good time to mention that there's an LP of Ever17 in the archives as well, though the translation is a little infamous.

Welp, at least it's complete already. Time for another plunge.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

Congratulations on finishing it, Fedule!

zonohedron posted:

Yeah, this is how I feel about it too. I don't know if I'm going to get ZTD - I mean, I'm not actually good at puzzle games, or games where I have to think quickly, or solving mysteries, which is why I like reading someone else solving them! - but this was a fantastic experience even if I don't.

Don't worry; one way or another, I'm sure someone will LP it. If it's not Pmush and/or the goonmind, well, I've been thinking for quite a while now about doing it myself.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

It's actually a little bittersweet being at the end. I can't imagine how weird it will feel for the people who have been here since the very start.

placid saviour
Apr 6, 2009

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Quality LP. Now, if only we can arrange it so Virtue has the last post, then this thread will have achieved everything it could hope to.

If this could be managed, I would die a happy man.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Quality LP. Now, if only we can arrange it so Virtue has the last post and gets permabanned for it, then this thread will have achieved everything it could hope to.

ftfy

limeicebreakers
May 1, 2017

Amazing LP Fedule, thanks for sticking with it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
If you really don’t want to play through ZTD then I highly recommend supergreatfriend’s recorded stream on youtube, as long as you use the “skip 10 sec” shortcut frequently through the puzzle rooms while he’s plodding around

Great LP, cool to see it finished!

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Hi.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Tempting, but not yet.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Fedule posted:

Color Printer, do you want your incomplete plot chart archived, or would you prefer it to be removed?

Go ahead and remove it. It was never meant to be. Life is, as they say, simply unfair.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
I'm amazed that it's finally complete. A lot to unpack from all that. Seeing Akane in her Zero get-up is kind of rad, though.
Thanks and congratulations for getting through it, Fedule!

Now that I've seen it all I can finally play this.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Oh, God, did it really come out two years ago?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

2 years ago? Bloody hell. Maybe I should replay it. :v:

Sai-kun
Feb 6, 2011

Is it ever going to be enough, to love another and be loved?
Also just posting to say Thank You to Fedule for keeping this going. I had no loving idea about this game or 999 or ZTD before seeing this thread but I read the recommended 999 LP, caught up and followed along with this, and am hyped and about to purchase ZTD to experience that. You're loving awesome, brother! :unsmith:

Rune Full Moon
Jun 23, 2005

Jin, did you forget to buy groceries? ... Looks like air for dinner. Again.
Since we've now finished VLR, it seems worth noting that, just like 999, there's an FAQ for VLR that explains some of the backstory and reasoning for stuff. Like Clover and Alice's outfits (no I'm not actually kidding):

http://virtueslastreward.com/qahome/

might be wrong
Oct 11, 2012

Fedule posted:

This is as close as we'll ever get to an official confirmation that the viewpoint character of Another Time is who some people who have played Ever17 think it is.

An alternate reading exists; the viewpoint character is Us, the Player. This is a tad trite, but fits neatly, and hey it sure does seem like the IRL human at the controls is being addressed by Akane at the end there, doesn't it?

Hang on, I read Ever17 and I always thought the unnamed x-factor being Us, the Player WAS the twist in that game. Is there a different interpretation I completely missed?

Also, it goes without saying, thank you for lping this beast of a game so thoroughly, it's been a wild ride.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Rune Full Moon posted:

Since we've now finished VLR, it seems worth noting that, just like 999, there's an FAQ for VLR that explains some of the backstory and reasoning for stuff. Like Clover and Alice's outfits (no I'm not actually kidding):

http://virtueslastreward.com/qahome/

Actually, given that they were agents on a mission, I really am curious about their outfits now.

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005
after this finished I immediately got ZTD and beat it

what a god drat ride, don't start playing on a work night is all I gotta say

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

might be wrong posted:

Hang on, I read Ever17 and I always thought the unnamed x-factor being Us, the Player WAS the twist in that game. Is there a different interpretation I completely missed?

Also, it goes without saying, thank you for lping this beast of a game so thoroughly, it's been a wild ride.

That's a popular thing that people read into Ever17 because people like metafiction; the problem is it just doesn't fit the facts as well as the straightforward textual reading (massive Ever17 spoilers): The player's perspective character is a fictional four-dimensional entity that calls itself Blick Winkel. This thread probably isn't really the place to go into the arguments either way, though.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh right, I forgot to mention the K Ending.

The reason that Dio's bracelet was broken was because Kyle wanted to see if Sigma would save him (his son) over Phi.

SimplyUnknown1
Aug 18, 2017

Cat Cat Cat

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh right, I forgot to mention the K Ending.

The reason that Dio's bracelet was broken was because Kyle wanted to see if Sigma would save him (his son) over Phi.

Which of course wouldn't work because Sigma is his 22 year old self and didn't know Kyle was his son, and there was also the whole armor thing. I think he was a little bit confused there.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Kyle has a lot of daddy issues.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen
Side note now that this is all over: Read Luna's password backwards.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Cyouni posted:

Side note now that this is all over: Read Luna's password backwards.

Oh hey turns out I said this which I completely forgot about

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well I'm gonna be honest, I expected some sort of "you're not controlling who you think you're controlling" twist because, again, Uchikoshi gonna Uchikoshi.

What I wasn't expecting was for K to become Sigma all of a sudden :stare:

So MIL KEV OLI... I LOVE KLIM? Maybe K's real name?

Also assuming this supposed to be the password to the magenta/ally/green/ally branch, it's highly suspicious that you need to see everything relating to K's backstory to finish off what I'm presuming is the Luna path. :tinfoil:

It's weird seeing this in hindsight and realizing I was spot on. :stare:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Luna is the first one there to see Kyle when he wakes up, even though he apparently hates her for being a robot. :unsmith:

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

luna is a great character, but god drat is she ever melancholic. i always found it interesting how the singular non-human character was the most sympathetic of the bunch.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's probably referring to sigma klim.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's probably referring to sigma klim.

Or more like Kyle Klim (since he'd have Sigma's last name?).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Color Printer posted:

Go ahead and remove it. It was never meant to be. Life is, as they say, simply unfair.

Just remember that in a different timeline, perhaps your chart went northeast instead and made it through just fine :unsmith:

• Locked thread