Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens

FunOne posted:

661 meg update in the Windows Store.

It's the Japan update but it also seems to have a ton of fixes for the actual sim! So yay, let's hope this patch goes better for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020
An important video on while the C208 is best aircraft:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2gLpxLruhk

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Steadiman posted:

It's the Japan update but it also seems to have a ton of fixes for the actual sim! So yay, let's hope this patch goes better for them

Patch notes mention a bunch of bug fixes, so I agree, I hope this moves things in the correct direction. It ALSO says that the Japan content is available in the market place, so these downloads should mostly be updates to the existing game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
FS and CK3 patches today. What do I play first?

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://www.flightsimulator.com/world-update-i-japan-patch-version-1-9-3-is-now-available/

quote:

Incorrect energy formulas resulting in inaccurate autopilot behavior have been fixed

I like the sound of this one

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Haven’t tried this yet but uhhh

The known issue with the patch where the game will crash if you don’t open the VFR right away? Huh?

That must be worded poorly for the actual behavior otherwise lol.

Gasoline
Jul 31, 2008
Known issues also sound like some of the planes are more unflyable than before

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
This looks like a pretty solid patch, all things considered.

I like that people are producing community content but I wish someone would come out with a CKAN-like tool that does updates and installs things for you. It doesn't have to be centralized, and maybe someday it could be built in to the sim itself, but it would be helpful to see when stuff gets updated.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Haven’t tried this yet but uhhh

The known issue with the patch where the game will crash if you don’t open the VFR right away? Huh?

That must be worded poorly for the actual behavior otherwise lol.

Yeah I saw that. Hopefully it's not something we need to do every flight for the next two weeks...

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I think I may have hit that crash a few times last week. Opening and rapidly scrolling the VFR map at the end of long flights. Guess I'll just pop it open for a bit before takeoff and see.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Mach bug still exists in the airliners, so requoting the fix

Slickdrac posted:

I found a workaround for the mach speed bug with the widebodies (A/T speed being locked into mach mode) so you can do approaches like a sane person again with autothrottle.

-Go to: C:\Users\[you]\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.FlightSimulator_8wekyb3d8bbwe\LocalCache\Packages\Official\OneStore\asobo-vcockpits-instruments-airliners\html_ui\Pages\VCockpit\Instruments\Airliners\Shared
-open BaseAirliners.js.
-Find the block of code towards the top under "updateMachTransition()"
-See that "Switch" block in there? Kill it. Delete it entirely.
-You should have 6 "let" lines in a row now, followed by an "if" block

If the 7 lines under the updateMach line doesn't look like this, you deleted too much or too little

let crossSpeed = SimVar.GetGameVarValue("AIRCRAFT CROSSOVER SPEED", "knots");
let cruiseMach = SimVar.GetGameVarValue("AIRCRAFT CRUISE MACH", "mach");
let crossAltitude = Simplane.getCrossoverAltitude(crossSpeed, cruiseMach);
let mach = Simplane.getMachSpeed();
let altitude = Simplane.getAltitude();
let isMachActive = SimVar.GetSimVarValue("L:XMLVAR_AirSpeedIsInMach", "bool");
if (this.isMachActive != isMachActive) {

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
What's this mach speed business anyway? Does it switch unit and run a different simulation codepath under certain conditions?

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

What's this mach speed business anyway? Does it switch unit and run a different simulation codepath under certain conditions?

Yeah, when you hit cruising altitude the airliners switch from knots to mach units on the displays and the button to change back and forth was / is broken.

Patch notes: Boeing 787-10 Dreamliner/ Airbus A320neo Fixed lack of elevator authority with FBW at low speeds
Reality: lol still broken, no control below 180 knots.

SixPabst fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Sep 29, 2020

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I wish Blackshark would export OSM more often to get the metadata for the buildings. The newest world update has been plunking down plenty of overly tall buildings where I live. I've been editing OSM to fix the most egregious stuff, but apparently nothing has made it yet. My own apartment building's roof is still pointy instead of flat. I've added the metadata a while ago. The car shop on the other side of the road's also not 5 floors high, something I "fixed", too.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 29, 2020

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

gah, I just discovered the crash-on-v bug for the very first time on the way home from an onair checkflight

But the callsign and tail number appeared to remain after a reboot, so that's good?

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Sensitivity screen is supposed to be back. Currently downloading the update so I can check it out later.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I find it incredibly weird that they put the world update in the marketplace as an optional download. Just a very strange decision. I wonder how many people will not realize they need to download that separately.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

it drives people to a marketplace so they know it’s there and can see stuff they maybe want to spend money on while getting cool free stuff.

Autopilot update seems good, fuel consumption seems better, now I’m getting buffeting at low altitude and low speeds.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

sellouts posted:

Autopilot update seems good, fuel consumption seems better, now I’m getting buffeting at low altitude and low speeds.

Same. I suppose I'd rather deal with that than nosediving into the runway. Maybe 3rd patch is the charm?

CaptainEO
Sep 24, 2007

Found Something Great Here

hannibal posted:

I wish someone would come out with a CKAN-like tool that does updates and installs things for you. It doesn't have to be centralized, and maybe someday it could be built in to the sim itself, but it would be helpful to see when stuff gets updated.
They have a “Marketplace” built into the app itself and yet it seems they’re already failing to make it the central hosting point for anything but random bits of hand-picked content :(. I was so looking forward to not having to download a thousand addons and their dependencies by hand a la X-Plane or P3D.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

SixPabst posted:

Same. I suppose I'd rather deal with that than nosediving into the runway. Maybe 3rd patch is the charm?

Eh, this makes it worse for me. I just turn off fuel halfway through and approximate the correct usage and manage the VS to nail the altitude restrictions.

Happy to see progress though.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

CaptainEO posted:

They have a “Marketplace” built into the app itself and yet it seems they’re already failing to make it the central hosting point for anything but random bits of hand-picked content :(. I was so looking forward to not having to download a thousand addons and their dependencies by hand a la X-Plane or P3D.

my guess if if they open it up to free user submissions they could land in real hot poo poo copyright-wise if people upload models made off google earth exports

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I'm loving watching this line of green dots depart from nagasaki currently

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

hannibal posted:

This looks like a pretty solid patch, all things considered.

I like that people are producing community content but I wish someone would come out with a CKAN-like tool that does updates and installs things for you. It doesn't have to be centralized, and maybe someday it could be built in to the sim itself, but it would be helpful to see when stuff gets updated.

Agreed. I downloaded some random airports where the mod maker said they plan on updating the airport eventually and I just thought to myself that I will never remember to check and will just always have the old outdated version I guess. A proper mod manager that updates this poo poo for you would be amazing.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I'm loving watching this line of green dots depart from nagasaki currently

Is something happening?

I find it incredibly weird that they put the world update in the marketplace as an optional download. Just a very strange decision. I wonder how many people will not realize they need to download that separately.

Maybe they're like me and running out of SSD space :v:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Charles posted:

Is something happening?

Included in the update is a "tour of japan" flight from nagasaki to tokyo.

The in-game live weather for it right now is uh, not great. This is me starting a short bush flight nearby I planned out earlier.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Oh duh, I was thinking it was the IRL traffic haha.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
They didn't fix the A320 PFD? What the hell?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

So the VFR map crash, what that known issue really meant i guess was that the game will simply crash at random when opening the VFR map. So you need to keep it open at all times if you plan on using it. Seems like it'll open at the start of a flight but if you close it and then open it again, there's a decent chance it will just crash on you. Minimizing and expanding it works too from what I've seen, so you can just keep it minimized and then expand it when necessary, but that kinda screws up the scenic shots i've been taking.

Good news is that Japan really is gorgeous. At least the strait north of Shikoku is. Having a lot of fun flying around all the islands there and landing in interesting spots. Japan has like no GA or rural airfields at all and relatively few bigger airports, so you have to improvise when planning bush flights there. Managed to land my Shock Ultra in a 350ft schoolyard with like 200 feet to spare. Couldn't get a picture because the game immediately crashed when I clicked the VFR map. :(

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Sep 29, 2020

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Potentially extremely ignorant point of view, but I’m wondering if this is just a heuristic hit on “program that goes into a windows folder and edits a .cfg” file as opposed to anything truly malicious.

Forgot to reply to this, but Windows itself flags it on Smartscreen as something that is not downloaded very often, and you have to click More Info.

I think it's a false positive but if you want you can let the author know here.
https://forum.msfsaddons.org/t/atc-renamer/365

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Based on this own threads posts seems like they sort of lied about the Japan update when they just had generic buildings in the trailer, but if anyone stumbles across a before and after comparison would love to see what MS actually did for updating Japan.

E: Oh just read the patch notes. Seems like a very comprehensive Japan update. Can't wait to check it out.

FORUMS USER 1135
Jan 14, 2004

Charles posted:

Forgot to reply to this, but Windows itself flags it on Smartscreen as something that is not downloaded very often, and you have to click More Info.

I think it's a false positive but if you want you can let the author know here.
https://forum.msfsaddons.org/t/atc-renamer/365

So the latest update seems to make the callsign, tail number, and flight number stick. I never got around to downloading the add-on you recommended yesterday (was going to do it tonight after patching) so it seems to be a moot point.

The sensitivity screen is also back in after I finally got my vJoy profiles all tweaked for my xbox controller and HotasX :waycool:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Well yay for them implementing that. I got the patch all downloaded and the Japan update but I have real life to take care of for a while 😿

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://github.com/Working-Title-MSFS-Mods/fspackages

If your favorite plane has a G1000 then you owe it to yourself to install this mod. I think it's been posted itt already but I thought I'd mention it again. I was frantically :f5:ing for a build compatible with the latest patch and as of about ten minutes ago they actually posted one a mere eight hours after the patch update dropped the absolute madmen.

Headline features

- Adds an option to turn down the brightness on planes that don't have an avionics brightness knob
- Adds an option to turn off the synthetic vision (which I personally hate)
- Adds a bunch of borders and gradients and other minor changes to make it actually look like a real G1000 PFD (as of this brand new build)

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

CaptainEO posted:

Yeah, you make an excellent point. The marketplace needs more functionality and there should be a way for community content to get listed, or for you to be able to add an RSS feed per mod or something. (so you can subscribe to whatever you want vs waiting for a mod to be 'approved')

Otherwise I'm hoping someone makes MSFS-Mod-Manager but I haven't seen any sort of suggestions like that out there yet. Maybe I should go poke around Nexus Mods since they support MSFS now?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Okay, I'm crashing a bit too often in this new version. This is pretty rough.

edit: to desktop, not my planes. I totally didn't tip over my cub on my last landing.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep. It’s a really bad patch and my buddies and I are struggling to believe they actually fly the planes before pushing this poo poo.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I was poking around the market and noticed they sell the Premium Deluxe GUCCI GANG package in there. Cool, I might get it later if they fix up the game.

It's 85 bucks. :wtc:

That's more expensive than just buying it all in the first place. I got it for $45 from a Best Buy code, so that would make it $130, and if I got it at retail price it would be $145, whereas the price for PD+base is $120.

The weird thing is it's like they kept track of what price you got your code at and charge you accordingly, since 130 is closer to retail. If they did, that's doubly lovely of them.

There's also seemingly no way to upgrade your license outside the marketplace. Steam doesn't have a DLC listed as an upgrade and the MS store doesn't sell an upgrade either.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can you not save during the Japan discovery flight? I don't see the option there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Okay, I'm crashing a bit too often in this new version. This is pretty rough.

edit: to desktop, not my planes. I totally didn't tip over my cub on my last landing.

sellouts posted:

Yep. It’s a really bad patch and my buddies and I are struggling to believe they actually fly the planes before pushing this poo poo.

Cool. It’s awesome that I was hoping the instability was a blip instead of just the drat trend.

No live weather/wind in North America sucked but at least I could consistently play without the game making GBS threads it’s pants. How are they regressing so much? :/