Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Yeah I was looking for a flight sim thread. I've always been casually interested in them but never had the time or money. Thanks to seemingly a permanent work from home situation til at least the end of the year and covid killing any ability for me to travel this year I decided to build a PC (which was a long term plan anyways...haven't owned a PC since 2005) but I really got excited for the new Flight Sim. So I ended up getting everything installed last weekend and I ordered a Honeycomb Yoke that arrived last week too. Very excited to get started and can't wait to ask a lot of annoying questions in this thread. I think the next thing I'll probably want to grab is some pedals.

Anime Store Adventure posted:

This is a good post.

I really do hope this game can fill out the “midfield” of sims, so to speak. People can tune down the realism and just fly around, but if they want, can slowly learn up to whatever they want to get out of the sim. Even though I’m a huge nerd who likes study level poo poo, I’d ultimately still get more fun from “game” elements like FSX’s goofy “fly to Area 51” or “chauffeur James Bond” missions or something akin to Truck sim’s company/economic model. I hope we get some third party content like that, because if truck sim is anything to go by, there’s a significant market for that kind of game if it’s well made.

I really hope this being new breaks some of the attachment to buggy, awful UX third party poo poo that we’re all too used to. I’m not saying I didn’t use it or buy it, but we all know it could be so much better.

And yeah this is exactly where I'm at. I've always been casually interested in flight. I like reading about plane accidents (i'm insane) and I have friends who are pilots. I'm vaguely mechanically inclined and if I ever started making actual good money I could see myself becoming a hobbyist. This is my way of dipping my toes into that world. The thing that I really liked seeing in some of the videos of people who have beta access is that it does seem like they did a decent job of onboarding people. You can have the game walk you through basic plane startup. You can turn down the raw sim realism so I can aggressively take off or bank in bigger planes and not immediately fall out of the sky. Flight sims as others have pointed out is realistically and stereotypically what I would term as 'Old Man' or 'Dad' territory where you've got hardcore enthusiasts who mostly have good intentions, but you can see even in youtube comments how insane and spergy some of these guys get. The good side is the legitimate enthusiasm you see when someone reviews a piece of hardware and just gives a great review...you get earnest comments on youtube saying "thanks for breaking this down, look forward to seeing your flying videos." The dark side is someone is previewing the latest beta build and they're not a flight sim person and every comment is how that person sucks and they wish a real pilot could land the plane instead of this bullshit that ign is showing.

I'm definitely excited to spend a lot of time and getting more serious, but I too agree that a good middle ground would be great. Not only is it always better for a community to grow, but I think decent sales would lend the idea that MS could put more weight behind it. Not everyone who buys this game wants to spend 200 dollars recreating my favorite 747 livery from Northwest Airlines and drop in audio packs for realistic on flight passenger ambience so i can make my perfect LAX-MSP recreation flight video.

soggybagel fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Aug 15, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My vague justification is that if I'm not going to get to spend some money on vacationing this year, then I'm going to virtually fly to the places!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
That’s smart. Step 1 for me is building a custom desk though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Just wondering, what do you all use if anything for game capture. I'm not interested right now in streaming out on twitch or anything, but I would like to capture some gameplay footage here and there. I've googled/youtube searched around and have some good ideas but just was wondering if anyone here had any things they like in particular.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Also based on some videos I’ve seen you can preload areas too or something? Like pull in mapping data for NYC and save it natively if you’re going to spend a ton of time flying in that area?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Ahh. Makes sense. Hopefully they let us set how big the cache is. I got a lot of space.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
That’s certainly scary if he’s saying even with a high end system on LOW settings it’s chugging.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Despite the hype I’m also tempering expectations a bit because unlike a lot of games I’m framing this ad a definitive and continual work in progress that I imagine I’ll be playing for years. That said. I’m still very hyped.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
drat you guys are thirsty for this game. I gotta put in a full work day today. Going to take Wednesday off though.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Are we expecting any basic upgrades to the base Xbox controller when the new console launches? Was thinking about picking up a controller for some other games as well as Flight Sim for quality of life stuff for navigating certain situations even though i own a yoke. As far as I could tell they aren't futzing with it at all and the only new revisions we'll see are on the next gen Elite controller.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Started my download right at 9pm PST and I'm about 30GB downloaded so its not going particularly slowly. I'm not on some crazy internet plan either. Just a standard tier spectrum internet connection.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Played for about an hour and a half and a few things I noticed. I'm a complete flight sim noob as I stated a few pages ago but I am ready to go all in on this and this may even be my gateway from casual flight fan to hardcore simmer + gateway to maybe getting licensed way down the line.

Right off the top the game suggested I use Medium settings. I have an AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, 32 GB of Ram, but the weak link is most definitely the Geforce GTX 960 in there. Which is totally fine. I threw this system together pretty quick and a friend was willing to just give me that graphics card to get things started and to be honest medium looks totally fine and to be honest I'm impressed that a 5 year old card is managing as well as it is. However I'm definitely going to upgrade that ASAP.

Secondly, I plugged in the Honeycomb Yoke and it mapped everything immediately and pretty intelligently as far as I can tell at first glance. No issues at all. The only thing I didn't notice was the first thing I did was start a tutorial and during that you have a co-pilot who is piloting the plane but once it hands it over to you for your lesson my plane kept losing speed and I didn't realize that the ignition switch was set to off. Since the lessons just throws you in to a thing you didn't have to go through startup situation so my plane kept losing altitude fast and it took me a few minutes to figure it out. Otherwise though so far so good with that yoke. However, the one thing the yoke did expose is that I now desperately want a throttle quadrant and pedals because it would just make everything 9000 times easier than toggling between the keyboard, zooming in on things, and jumping back. What I'm saying is I've got the bug and I'm sure I'm going to spend a lot over the next six months.

Lastly, its a lot of fun to fly around and just look at pretty things. I basically flew a low altitude flight of what my commute home would be from the west side of LA to my home and it was pretty interesting even at low altitudes (sub 1000) what the interpolation stuff did and how generally accurate it was. As others have pointed out though it has a tendency to think every green/empty space will have massive voluminous trees...which in particular about Los Angeles is a thing that just simply doesn't exist.

I've definitely got the bug but I need to go to bed right now or I'll be up all night.

Of course i had to quickly zip by my neighborhood and scope out the dog park.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I have a yoke but no pedals and the rudder control seems untenable. Because my only real option right now is stutter tapping on the keyboard. So I guess pedals are the next purchase.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

FBS posted:

oooh man white sands looks rough

That’s actually reclaimed wood from old basketball courts.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
On the manual cache there’s the cache quality but is that just an auto detected thing? I can’t actually select what quality I want? Or can I and I just can’t figure it out. It seemed to be grabbing some squares as medium and when I zoomed out to do big grabs it was all low. So it appears to be tied to level of zoom. Is there any way to quickly batch choose high quality cache?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Yeah an estimate would be nice on file size. Really all they need besides that is just a option to switch what cache quality size once a given block is highlighted. I legit clicked on the “high” block like five times thinking “surely it’ll work this time!”

And to clarify. If I’m picking medium for a large swath in say, Los Angeles it means that it can still stream in higher quality as I fly too right? It’s not locking in at medium is it?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
In the training flights with the Cessna 152 the instructor will say on final approach to put the throttle into idle. But it never really made it clear to me what idle rate is? I thought it meant cut the engine but that was clearly too drastic. So are we talking like 1200-1400 rpm? I swear I paid attention and it just never told me what idle range is.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Sagebrush posted:

Idle is "throttle all the way out." Flight idle is about 1100-1200 if you're at a reasonable final approach airspeed; it is higher than ground idle (~800) because the propeller is windmilling somewhat.

Personally I try to maintain around 1500 RPM on final, adjusting up or down to get on the glide slope, and don't pull it out all the way until I'm over the numbers and about to enter the landing flare. The only reason to actually go full idle on final is if you're way high. Then you make sure you have full flaps, pull the throttle to idle, and if you're still above the glideslope perform a forward slip.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense and I knew intuitively some of that but they really don’t tell you poo poo is these tutorials. I think the final one is talking unassisted A to B flight but they never really laid out basic navigation. I may create a new thread where I basically just take some of what you’ve posted and others as a repository for newb questions since it might be a bit easier to navigate than scrolling back through pages. All your answers have been very helpful.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Sudden Loud Noise posted:

Man, this game puts me in this weird impossible middle ground. I definitely do not enjoy it enough, or know enough to warrant buying a yoke and pedals just to play this game. But if I bought a yoke and pedals I can already tell that I would play this absolutely non-stop.

Just do it. I was never a super simmer guy but I said gently caress it and bought a yoke and I'm hooked.

Drone: by default the Gamepass app should just drop them under (User -> you -> Videos -> Captures) regardless of if its a video or screen grab.

Question because I spent a little bit on this before bed, but I for the life of me cannot figure this out. On the final training mission, the eighth one, they want you to fly unassisted by taking off and going from point A to B to landing with no assists. I can take off and hit cruising altitude and then it says something to the effect of center over the airport but I can't figure out what to do next. It tells me the golf course or whatever I'm supposed to go to is at 162 degrees so I just used my true north heading and turned to go 162 degrees but I'm sure I'm missing some basic flight navigation method here or something.

In this lesson in settings they disable any UI popups for where I'm supposed to go so I'm at a bit of a loss because the previous lesson just dropped a pin and while I have my bearings with the plane I cannot figure this out as I'm just too much of a "real" flight noob here.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ajheretic666 posted:

It's basically a reverse flight of the previous training missions. I found if you ignore the heading and follow the highway on the ground, it'll get you to the golf course. It being a VFR thing, and all.

Hmm, i'm going to boot in and try to follow the highway, but if I remember correctly what I'll need to do is take off, circle back around and just head "straight" from the airport right? Thanks.

Also one thing to keep in mind with almost all inventory of flight related hardware being sold out or hard to get is that besides the micro situation of this game coming out and suddenly people wanting to get the hardware, is that brick and mortar stores are not going to have a big inventory. Even the smaller flight sticks take up a ton of physical shelf space compared to something like an Xbox controller. A place like best buy would max have a few total. The size of the honeycomb yoke box I bought is pretty drat big. I saw on their website they're currently shipping direct now from their parts people based in china direct to consumer now due to increased demand.

And because I've got flight sim fever I'm strongly considering pre-ordering this quadrant on September 1st. https://flyhoneycomb.com/collections/honeycomb-flight-sim-hardware/products/bravo-throttle-quadrant

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

ajheretic666 posted:

Yeah, sorry, I forgot that bit. Take off, circle back around over the airport, and you should see the highway going past the airport. Just hang a left and follow it to the golf course. Worked for me. Good luck!

Apologies for asking again because I clearly now see the golf course. It’s literally a 1 minute flight from the airport after turnaround but I cannot get it to tick off as I fly over it and the club itself. Is there any specific heading I needed to be on? I just want to “complete” this and be done with it and so far I’m just confused.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Sapozhnik posted:

The early 2010s were kind of a mini dark age of games getting more and more dumbed down huh. It's not the main thing I'd have improved about the state of the world today, if I were given the choice, but I'm glad that things are at least returning to their roots somewhat where you have high-profile releases that aren't afraid to have some challenge or depth to them.

I think a thing that this game has going for it is some new interesting tech that will definitely have applications outside this game as well. Future games, future applications within the windows ecosystem. It’s exciting.

Also ignore my training questions. I figured it out and I’m just an idiot!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Anyone doing the bush missions? Not particularly exciting but it’s nice for me to have to focus on headings and also just a good way to practice some things and honestly just see the sights.

I do like and hope they keep up these landing challenges and things. Nice to be forced to go to places you might not and just having a leaderboard is good vague numbers motivation.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Mokotow posted:

Yes, it’s just blurred on Google but you can clearly see the runways. It’s just gone in FS.

Look for Base aerienne 126. It’s a few km south of LFKG on the coast.

Seems to be a thing with military bases but also airports that share space with military planes.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
My only regret is this game didn’t come out sooner. It’s a real delight.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
So I set the manual cache at 50 gigs. It says you can modify max cache size, but I guess you can’t modify it to make it smaller?

Also there’s no way to edit a pre-existing cached region so if you want to add to it you’re hosed I guess and just have to do part 2.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Knightmare posted:

Tonight's mission was to depart from St. Louis International, find the arch visually, and then fly through it.

First thing I noticed is the river height is weirdly bugged -

Looks to me like a new flood control project.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

SixPabst posted:

Did one of the bush missions last night. First leg was like 40 mins of easy flying and looking around at all the cool poo poo. Bring the plane in for a perfect landing and promptly mash the brakes hard enough to flip the nose into the runway. Do not pass go, please try again.

This game rules.

Haha I did the exact same thing but on the 2nd leg of the bush flight.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Does anyone else own the honeycomb yoke. The hat switch is acting a bit wacky when I look left and right in my plane. Anyone else having issues at all with that specific component?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Was trying to add to my manual cache but I had to cancel out of it and i think my game froze? Music is still playing and I can alt tab out but it says not to turn off or exit flight sim. It's been at this screen for a while? Anyone else ever freeze up here?

Also I snooped around for an answer but there appears to be no way to lower the size of the maximum manual cache holding? I set mine to 50gb thinking i could just decrease but I guess I can't?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Romes128 posted:

Try zooming all the way out when it first loads. It's really slow and laggy but it seems to load a larger region better than fully zoomed in.

gently caress I think I might have to re-install the game. I had already highlighted some areas, started to try to download to cache but had to abort/cancel out because the download said it was going to take forever so it popped up a menu that said don't exit game while its handling the cache but it was there for a long time so I exited. Now when i cl;ick back into the manual cache button in the general menu it freezes....uh oh.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Charles posted:

You have to delete the file manually unfortunately. It's in the same place as the rolling cache directory.

You’re a life saver. File must have been corrupted somehow and was locking the fame when I tried opening it. So weird you can always scale the cache up too, but not down. Thanks man! Saved me a whole reinstall!

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This weekend I’ll make a google doc or something of all the little tips and great real life plane advice that’s been dropped in here. It’s all very helpful.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Thanks for the past couple posts. Kind of clarifies some of my own confusion around such things. Photogrammetry works pretty well and when the building ends up turning out pretty good texture wise it is like a fun magic trick. I flew over a friends apartment complex that has a community garden across the street and sent him the pic and it blew his mind.

With regards to you questioning how do they fix it, if theres not photogrammetry data available. Is the only actual solution for someone/some team to get in there and hand build a city building by building?

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Thanks for all the follow ups on the 8th tutorial. I did finish it a while ago now but the one thing that did not get hammered home to me in the former tutorial is how simple the compass was. It’s obvious but I think I was just tired and so thrown off from previous mission of being told with a visual icon where to go that when it through an angle degree and an ETE I got confused.

Question, on the bush missions I ran out of fuel on a leg...how do I add fuel? I before takeoff tried to request fuel but I’m on a podunk dirt runway. It’s the fifth leg of the Sierra Nevada bush mission and I just assumed I’d auto refuel when I land which is not the case.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I'll make the next lesson. Currently stuck in some work stuff unfortunately.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
Right now I'm running on medium settings across the board because I have a Ryzen 7 3700x, 32gb of ram, but an hand me down video card for now (GTX 970). According to my performance monitoring my big choke point is obviously the GPU. I am running the game off a NVME SSD. I realize this is all anecdotal but I do not have anywhere near those load times. Its a new system on a fresh install but it only takes like a minute after the PRESS ANY KEY. Its pretty quick on loads in general, however I am with medium settings on native 1440 resolution on my monitor averaging between 20-30 FPS.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
I think also when there’s legit too much overhead foliage and large lots it created a road where there wasn’t one. I was flying over the Dallas suburbs looking for a friends house and there is a bit of a dividing line on properties that it read as another road. Was interesting to see how it interpreted it.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Google Butt posted:

I don't know this for a fact but it seems like tree enhancement is an effort to maximize the illusion and interest at a particular minimum altitude

I would buy that a bit but there’s just too many instances of weird excess trees. I think it’s just an algorithm gone wild because flying over LA even higher up (2500+ feet) you’ve got too much tree coverage obscuring and and blocking buildings.

That said it’s a minor complaint.

I was flying over farmland in Minnesota and man, it looks great a few thousand feet up. Flying along a highway I’ve driven hundreds of times was fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Son of Rodney posted:

So is there any way to cache large areas in high definition? Because the resolution for the selections is laughably tiny.

Right now, no. Hopefully they can add that along with a data size estimate when selecting parcels of land.