Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

How do I figure out where to park my plane? A little message pops up about on-screen guidance but I don't see any guidance on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Why does the game never recognize that I'm done with my climb and have reached cruising altitude? It's not a huge deal, but I'm curious if this is a bug or if I'm doing something wrong.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Grumio posted:

The new IL-2 series, aka the "Great Battles" series (Battle of Stalingrad, Battle of Kuban etc) is excellent. While it's not full clicky cockpit like DCS, it's a great sim with great graphics, feeling of flight and damage models.

The original Battle of Stalingrad is seen as the base game, and it's a good starting point. From there it depends on what era/theatre you fancy- Battle of Kuban covers ~1943 in the caucuses, while the new hotness is Battle of Bodenplatte, focusing on the western front in late 1944-early 1945. I'd lean towards the latter, it's what the most popular servers tend to use these days.

You just missed a big sale, but odds are there'll be another one in a month or two, so you can grab it for cheaper.

We don't have organized events, but there are usually goons flying several times a week in the evenings on the airgoons discord and happy to show you the ropes

Is the single player any good or is IL-2 mostly focused on multiplayer servers? I'm considering picking it up as I want a combat flight sim that is less hardcore and spergy than DCS, but don't really have much interest in multiplayer.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is the "Live Traffic" setting for other Air Traffic working properly? I've had it on that setting and pretty much never see any other planes at all, even flying into or out of places like JFK, SFO, etc. I don't really care if the planes I'm seeing are real-world planes or not, should I just set it to AI?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any way to change the sim rate without a numpad? It looks like numpad +/- are the only controls to change the rim rate (while holding r I guess?) and I don't see any way to rebind them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Romes128 posted:

Make sure on the control setup screen you have "ALL" selected instead of just "ASSIGNED"

There's options to set the sim rate buttons. I have them set to my joystick base buttons.

Thanks, that did it.

How is there not an on-screen display of the sim rate? :thunk:

e: also lol that the stopwatch in the nav window for VOR doesn't speed up if you increase the sim rate.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Cancelbot posted:

That's how I did it, I did a VOR to VOR circuit to learn how to use the OBS & NAV radios on a 152 and also using the G1000 on the 172. But I plotted it on SkyVector first to verify, it even gives you the radials:

Is there a good tutorial somewhere on how to do this? I see those dials on the 152 and have no idea what to do with them. :shrug:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there a way to refuel in the middle of your flight plan if you land somewhere? I'm doing a little sightseeing flight from Vienna to Innsbruck but fuel consumption is a little higher than I expected and I might run out en route.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Using a PS4 controller, the trigger controls for the rudders seem to be all-or-nothing. :shrug:

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Charles posted:

I managed to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge, but it made a loud clunk and destroyed the engine. :iiam:

It's a huge bummer that you can't actually fly under any bridge (at least I haven't found one that you can).

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Since the new update I'm having a weird issue where performance is fine when I first start a flight, but if I hit escape and go into the menu, fps craters and it turns into a slideshow. Performance stays bad after I leave the menu - but if I tab out and put a window in front, the game runs fine. Any ideas?

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Lord Stimperor posted:

Hi y'all,

Because there isn't much in terms of non-sandbox content, I've decided to write up a short mission. It practices some VOR skills, following the tutorial that Sagebrush and others gave a while back (I think there was also a very useful effortpost about this somewhere in this thread).

Let me know if this is fun and what to improve, I'd like to make a few more scenarios.

GOON SQUAD MISSION 1: VOICE OF FREEDOM
:911:

California desert, USA
April 4th, 1985

Agent Grover,

Your help is direly needed. The A-Team has requested your services as a former combat pilot to rescue a journalist from the clutches of the prison industrial complex. They want to silence her and we can't allow that to happen. The A-team has managed to bring her to a safe location in the desert, but they will not be able to leave with her for reasons that they will not share. They won't pay much, but they hope you haven't yet lost all your idealism and will pitch in for the Greater Good.

Your mission is to find the safe house, using the navigation instructions that Mr. Murdock of the A-Team provided. Land there and pick up the journalist, and bring her safely to nearby Big Bear City.

Mission preparation
:engleft:
Time: Crack of dawn
Departure: Twentynine palms (KNXP), runway 28
Arrival: Big Bear City
Aircraft: any plane with 2 seats and the ability to pick up 2 VOR stations.
Recommended: Cessna 152, Cessna 172 (not the glass cockpit variants)

Prior to takeoff, tune your two navigation radios so you can fly a course along their beams.
NAV 1: Palm Springs (PSP), VOR frequency 115.5, course 325
NAV 2: Hector (HEC), VOR frequency 112.7, course 215

Mission plan
Take off straight out from KNXP RW28. Gain enough altitude to pick up the two VOR beacons. Set your CDI to NAV1 (course 325, intercept and fly along that beam, out over the desert in northwest direction. Hint: if you fly in an autopilot-equipped plane like the Cessna 172, put your auto pilot into nav mode so you can monitor your surroundings).

After some minutes pass, you will overfly Emerson Lake. Continue. A little after that, the course of VOR 2 will intersect with your present course (both CDIs will be centered; hint: you should be over a narrow lake).

At this point, turn west. A few miles ahead of you, you should see three buildings in the desert - two side-by-side, one a little to the side. Land there (carefully!) and taxi up to the two buildings.

The journalist in distress will enter your plane (gameplay hint: increase the plane's weight accordingly).

With the journalist on board, take off and head South, towards a mountain range in the distance. Maintain 200 feet or less above ground to prevent being spotted by the goons of the military industrial complex who want to silence the journalist!

Behind the mountain range lie Big Bear City and your destination, Big Bear Airport. Be careful as you approach the mountains, as they will be too steep to climb over. Either approach them at an angle, or go around.

Land at Big Bear Airtpot.

Congratulations Agent Grover, today you have saved a voice of freedom in the fight against oppression! :hfive:

Gameplay hints
Click here for images of the two waypoints

This was a lot of fun, thanks for putting it together. I haven't done any VOR navigation before and this was a good introduction. I got confused at the start since you have to go a pretty good distance west to intercept PSP at course 325 - not sure if that was supposed to be obvious or if it was intentionally left out of the instructions so that there would be an element of problem solving (if so, kudos).

I would love to do another of these.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Other than the 152, is there a plane that can do VOR navigation but doesn’t have a GPS? I want to practice navigating without GPS but I’m a little sick of the 152. Alternatively, I see that the G1000 has a VOR function on the monitor in front of the pilot with the artificial horizon - is it possible to turn off the other monitor that has the map?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Can you not save during the Japan discovery flight? I don't see the option there.