Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

Hey...what kind of party is this? there's no booze and only one hooker!

silly sevens
Probably gonna end up getting the deluxe edition purely for the Dreamliner and the Citation, finally something different than the usual 737/747/Cessna stuff that every sim ends up with, but don't think anything has been shown of any of the Deluxe planes at any point. Which seems odd. Still looking forward to it a lot!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
Just noticed a 79gb, or so, update waiting in the content manager part of the menu. It's saying to restart the sim for it to update but that's not doing anything yet, so it may not be live yet (or I'm just restarting wrong...). But it does appear there's more than just an update-announcement today.

Also, in spite of all the niggles, I am just loving this thing. Just flying around in the TBM, or the Caravan, during storms in the tropics is amazing. The only thing I really miss is that there's no ding when you turn on the fasten seatbelt button :( drat I miss that ding so much.

And I cannot wait to play this in VR! Even though VR is not perfect for flight simming, and some people seem to actively hate it, but even in X-Plane it gives such a great feeling of being in a cockpit that it gets me all excited to think about what FS2020 would be like! Flying through those storm clouds in VR has to be one hell of an experience, cause even on a flat screen it already intimidates me in that tiny TBM...

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
One thing I don't see many people talk about is the amazing sound in FS2020. Recently jumped into X-Plane again, to get my VR cockpit fix, and was astounded at how bad it sounds. One generic, super loud, click for almost every button and terrible engine loops that are so short they have a rythm. Then back to the TBM in FS2020 and just switching that ignition switch, with its deeply satisfying "thunk" sound, made the difference painfully obvious! Plus I love the way certain planes creek and moan as they bank, not to mention the outside noises. All those little ambient sounds add so much to the experience beyond just "engine go brrrrrr".

In spite of all the issues, and there are definitely quite a few, this whole thing is just a mind blowing experience to me. Especially compared to what else is out there. Flying in a tiny turboprop and suddenly seeing a gigantic wall of dark, stormy, clouds extend thousands of feet up in front of you is actually intimidating. I am really enjoying this, can't wait to get a proper controller

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
Apparently the first patch got released, though it's not downloading for me yet. As expected, it really only fixed the installer issues that people were having so nothing to get super excited about (unless you're one of those people of course, in which case...yay you!)

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Mailer posted:

Hit Ctrl-L (i think) to put on your mining helmet. There may be a switch somewhere for cabin mood lighting but the helmet works in every plane.

There's two switches on the ceiling for a left and right overhead light, they're tricky to spot in the dark though (brings back memories of old adventure games of hunting down the pixel while madly mashing the left mouse key!). Both lights seem to be aimed at the center of the console though, which is a bit weird because it leaves the middle very bright and the sides kinda dark. No way to adjust the angle of the lights that I could find.

Also trying Pilot2ATC and that really improves the ATC experience a lot! It can actually vector you and all that fun stuff, though I do miss the little static noises and degradation of the signal that you get with the native ATC. Also has a pretty powerful flightplanner, though I'm not sure yet how to make that work within flight simulator itself. UI is horrible though, I feel it makes the program needlessly complex compared to Little Navmap, for instance. It has a free trial, I may just pick it up when that expires just to have the ATC.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I see Microsoft pulled a Visual Studio with the Flight Simulator patch. You download a 300MB update so that you can download the 11GB actual update.

Edit: Dear DCS people, I feel for you with all of us overwhelming the thread with Flight Simulator. If I could help deal with the crashed F-15 I would, but I think I'd get exploded inside my Cessna.
After more than an hour I'm currently on 53gb downloaded out of 8.10gb so the update is going great here :ohdear:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Porfiriato posted:

So I had a ~13gb download for the patch (I have the upgraded version) and about halfway through it seemed like it timed out or lost the network connection. I restarted MSFS...and now I have a 66.7gb download waiting for me. :shepicide:

Also my SSD went from 20gb free to 80gb free, so apparently the installer for some reason deleted vast swaths of the game during the patch download/install process. Thanks Asobo!
that's pretty much what happened to me I guess. On my third attempt now after leaving it overnight, came back to see it had completed but it crashed on loading. Did a full reboot and now it's started downloading again :( This time a 32gb download so I have no idea where these numbers are coming from. But I also noticed a bunch more free space reported so I can only assume it deleted a bunch of stuff and is now reinstalling. It's a bit of a mess. Trying to find info on the official forums doesn't really help much, whole lot of really angry people there. I'd forgotten how horrible other forums can be

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
Everything finally installed and updated, currently enjoying a rather bumpy and wet trip near Atlanta in the TBM, so far so good with the odd exception of the King Air in which the screens simply refuse to turn on. Tried every combo of flipping the battery and avionics on but nothing :( I get the aural autopilot warning and I can start the engines and everything, it's just the screens and avionics refuse to turn on. Bit of a bummer.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
So it would seem that the way to stop your engine 1 from shutting down, when you turn off the APU in the A320, is to have fuel in your center tank. Seems to be working so far, turned the APU off after engine start and nothing failed. Bear in mind that by default the center tank is empty. Wonder why that works.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Charles posted:

I had whatever the light Diamond is just turn off randomly on me, but I was able to restart it. I wonder if that's related, or are people only reporting it on the a320? Maybe I had the wrong tank selected or something.

As far as I know, the engine 1 failure thing is only on the A320. It happens if you shut down the APU after starting the engines and it will not turn on again after that. So far the solution has been to leave the APU running throughout the flight, which is not ideal. But there's still really weird ghosts in the machine. On this A320 flight my screens flipped off on final and disconnected my autopilot, was actually kinda neat to have a failure of that magnitude happening since the screens took a while to reboot and I was suddenly flying blind, at night, at 1500 feet on descend (pretty sure it was all my avionics failing but I didn't really have time to troubleshoot). Was actually quite nerve wracking but I managed to land the thing safely, if bumpy.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Combat Pretzel posted:

The world map? I wouldn't know, I program them into the plane via the flight computer. Because simulation :downs:

Here's the chart, and I've drawn in what MSFS wanted to do and also showed in the flight computer:

Even on the world map, things don't look right. Autogenerated routes between airports (RWY to RWY), aren't even remotely sensible. They're all over the place with 90° turns where they don't seem necessary, or even switchbacks, and no proper departures or arrivals. If it were up to the game, you'd depart at an 90° angle at the end of the runway, and also land that way. If I start fiddling with charts and select the departures, arrivals and STARs manually, the routes end up way better. And even then it seems to mess with things, because there's eventually still gotchas that aren't visible on the world map and only start to show in the flight computer.

And for the life of me, I can't manage the game to actually plan/plot a proper approach, like in the promo video about IFR a while back. At least over here in Europe. As in this poo poo:

Seems like this yet another feature that was functional enough to show in a promo video, but not actually deploy. That poo poo happened quite a lot in the alpha.

--edit:
Also, kind of related to the chart above, it's kind of hilarious that the flight computers in the airliners can plot smooth turns around waypoints, but the autopilot doesn't even remotely fly that way.
Some approaches do have pretty weird turns and switchbacks in real life though, could that be it? The autogenerated flightplans is one of the few areas that haven't given me issues so far, unless I'm missing something that's happening to you. I just select the departures and arrivals/approaches I want from the dropdowns and it all goes right into the FMC. Unless you're going direct it should build you a nice flightplan from there without any weird 90 degree turns at the runway.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

It's been noticed (anecdotally) that weird random poo poo happening to your plane occurs a lot more in multiplayer group flights, so I wonder if that also occurs between player planes. Stuff like your throttle going haywire, your light knobs readjusting, fuel switches flipping, etc.
I have noticed that you occasionally hear the very distinct sound of buttons being clicked and dials being...uh, well dialled. having gotten used to the TBM's automatic tank switching I didn't really pay it much mind until I heard it happening in other planes too...ghost planes are real...:stare:

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens
I can confirm that turning ground aircraft density to zero made the A320 flyable for me. Live traffic was still on, just turned off the ground stuff. Tried five times with it on, from the same gate at KLAS, and couldn't even turn on the battery, switched ground traffic off and boom...whole thing came to life instantly. Really weird. Did a flight from KLAS to KLAX and it went smooth as hell, even using managed modes (though I doubt my passengers will forget that climb out any time soon). While the rate of climb/descent on managed mode is still insane, it does actually do all the things it's supposed to. Like leveling off around 10.000 to slow down.

It all went great right up to the point where ATC tried to have me descent into a mountain though. But that was kinda my own fault as my flightplan went direct to the 7L ILS without an approach, which would've taken me around those mountains to begin with. Nothing turned off at any point, screens kept working all the way to the gate. I'm also using the A320 mod, which is awesome and now also has some voices for the cabin check, and which also fixes the engine switching off when you turn off the APU.

It does seem as though the AI going through its process affects the player's plane, which is a really odd bug. Probably something to do with models getting instanced from the same pool the player's plane comes from and not being made unique. I wonder if it would help to set the AI planes to generic models instead of the real ones, so that maybe their button calls don't overlap with mine. But yeah if you're experiencing things randomly turning off, especially screens and avionics, try setting ground aircraft density to zero and see if that helps.

All in all I finally had fun in the A320 again, so I'm happy :)

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

sellouts posted:

Unless you set very specific and rare weather conditions or you’re doing noise abatement 12a-6a, should really be doing 24/25 arrivals into lax.

Still really weird to have any mountains come into play
Yeah I just went with what the flight planner assigned me, thought it was a bit odd. And like I said, the mountains was purely because I didn't put in an arrival, just went direct to the approach from my last waypoint on the KLAS departure. That just happened to put me over the mountains north of LAX during the ATC assigned descent, my own fault really.

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

FunOne posted:

661 meg update in the Windows Store.

It's the Japan update but it also seems to have a ton of fixes for the actual sim! So yay, let's hope this patch goes better for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steadiman
Jan 31, 2006

silly sevens

Not the Messiah posted:

Don't think this has been posted ITT yet - someone's made a free/pwyw bush pilot career mode tool thing - https://maugiroe.wixsite.com/neofly

Could be a jam if it's done right (especially as i'm too poor rn for OnAir)

Definitely trying this one! The description sounds fun and you can't beat that price!

Also the patch is going pretty great for me so far, no crashes and lots of things fixed. The biggest one for me was being able to turn on the screens and avionics in the King Air again. Also, unmentioned in the patch notes as far as I can see, but they fixed the scrolling of the flightplan on the King Air's touchscreen. Originally it was suuuuuuper finnicky, you had to drag the tiny scroll bar (literally impossible in any kind of turbulence, it's just too small to grab consistently) or use the scroll wheel, which I use to change my POV so that became annoying fast. Now you can drag from anywhere on the flightplan like a proper touchscreen and that alone makes this update great for me! Though I never use the VFR map any way so maybe that's what's been saving me from hating this update.